[Guide] Sentinel PvP

Rankith

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You dont understand the playstyle of Focus.

Meh, that's probably fair. The Focus tree buffs accuracy after all. Still, the numbers don't appear to be on your side if you want to claim that Dual Wield Mastery makes for a significant change in DPS output.

Then we have three available talents to use. Got to get into tier two of the talents in the Combat tree. So putting two talents in the talent Defensive Forms is worthwhile in your opinion?

Really? you see second tier of Combat as necessary for Focus? What is so good in second tier that you take it over Quick Recovery and/or Focused Slash? The 30% AoE damage reduction is (to me) the most worthwhile thing in that tier, and for me personally it pales in comparison to what amounts to 1 less focus cost on Slash and Dispatch. There's also the fact that Zen for Focus then generates 1 focus per slash, and while it is often not used in favor of transcendence, it's still something to think about.

I didn't mean to sound like a jerk with my initial sentence, and I realize it may have come off that way. I'm just genuinely curious which talent you find mandatory for a focus build in the second tier of the combat tree.

If slash is used outside of Zen then you didnt manage your CD's correctly. Focused Leap is the second tier talent needed in the combat tree.

When used correctly(ideally) you can get off a bladestorm after your first force sweep before beginning the rotation for the next force sweep.

I wish I could convert this into a marauder guide. But I dont have to in actuality. Although the mara guide thats stickied is helpful it mostly seems to concentrate on pve and kinda leaves pvpers at a loss.

i've found a mirror page with all the abilities and tree skills, its been a slow process but im starting to learn the sentinal abilities so I can understand anni spec finally. I'm going to use your spec from here out as i practice and get better.

- from a pvp rage mara who wants to be a good pvp anni mara - thanks much.

Have not read all the responses so perhaps someone else has pointed this out...

But the 'rotations' section for combat spec is very poor and would not give you very good results (is this why so many people think combat spec is bad? they just dont understand it?)

Anyway if you would like to update this section to include 2 vital sequences of abilities that any combat spec sentinel will rely on...

1: Zen+Relic+Adrenal > Precision Slash > Blade Rush > Blade Storm > Blade Rush x 5 (somewhere in the last 5, a strike or zealous may be needed unless spec'd Rebuke gives some additional focus in)

2: Precision Slash > Master Strike > Blade Storm/Blade Rush (If an ataru has fired during the master strike/precision slash, hit Blade Storm, if not, Blade Rush then Blade Storm.

1 will depend on high focus before it starts, 2 will only need 6 focus

• 3 weeks later...

So I read a good bit and have been wanting to dive into PVP around level 20ish, but was unsure about an important bit of PVP, Gear.

Is there a starter set of pvp gear for purchase with credits, or do you slog it out in PVE gear until you get the points to start buying gear?

Or are there alternatives to starting PVP gear that would be recommended?

Not sure what you mean by how did I use keybinds lol. Im just used to shift + all my keys so shift + 3 is nice and quick.

Basically, pracitce :p it may be painful to use at first but you will get there.

I must admit I dunno how is it possible for a watchman top even 300k dmg on 50. I must admit that I followed this guide from a to z (even tho I used to play a quite a lot of pvp on WoW). To avoid discussions about whether I am a noob or not. I usually don't do to much dmg because I focus a lot on the goal of the WZ (capping, taking ball, passing ball, scoring etc). That would explain my low dmg in most cases. But when it comes to voidstar where in my opinion it's purely about EQ and luck (killing all imps and they getting stuck behind the forcefield) I was only able to do about 250k with watchman max. I follow the rotations, when needed I use other abilities to avoid getting hit by snipers, close in and start attacking etc. I'm not a lost case, I actually earned quite a lot of respect amongst other guilds (even tho we have a guild of only 5 players where 3 are 50 and playing PvP), because we think and we can win by tactics even against stronger opponents. So where is my fault? I bought few pieces of recruit EQ, kept my 2 centurion for the set bonus for now. I have Main hand and offhand champion sabers. I use relics when I can, I use expertiese stimps along with them.. And still my dmg output tops average about 150k.. is it me? is it my EQ? Is there such a big difference between recruit and BM EQ (which most of the imps we play against have). Republic is quite weak on our server in general. Can someone enlighten me please cause I'm getting frustrated. Now after 1.2 when there are no more dailies/weeklies for attendance in WZs it's getting even more frustrating cause many times we lose just because people not using their brain (standing on ledge so a mara/juggernaut can leap to our line etc). I know teamplay and what I'm asking about me individually are 2 different things. I just don't understand the screenshots that some people post here with dmg around 700k dmg (like Za'ell) and others. Thanks for any kind of hints and tips.

Btw thank you very much for the guide as it was very helpful on the start deciding which tree to use, rotations even before I got all the abilities. :) keep up the good work

Edited by SeriousSammm

• 2 weeks later...
It's about the same for all the specs, the biggest difference is that combat does abit more damage and focus does alot more dmg nowadays. as for the watchman spec it feels just the same, keeping the dots up and hitting away

It's about the same for all the specs, the biggest difference is that combat does abit more damage and focus does alot more dmg nowadays. as for the watchman spec it feels just the same, keeping the dots up and hitting away

• 2 weeks later...

Watchman: Assuming you Force leap in, you need to first decide if you need to apply your slow or healing debuff, typically I always apply my slow even if there are team mates attacking, as it really blows if they slow you and simply walk away :p. So, Force Leap(4)->Overload Saber(in air)(1)->Zealous Strike(7)-> Leg Slash(5)->Cauterize(3)(pop Zen now if you have it)->Strike(5)->Merciless Slash(1). As you can see, that kinda takes a while, if you remove leg slash you can finish that much quicker as you don’t need to Strike either, just 3 hits after landing on your target and hes got your dots and has some hurt going. So when you really want to kill something, forego that Leg Slash. Usually this will do quite a number to someones health bar AND you have 6 good crit dots coming.

Without force leap your going to be simply running up to your opponent and opening with Zealous Strike(6)->Overload Saber(3)->Leg Slash(1)->Strike(3)->Cauterize(1)->Strike(3)->strike(5)->merc Slash(1). As you can see, thats alot slower, but you will have to do this in alot of occasions. Again, dropping that Leg Slash if you absolutely must will help speed this up. And also consider that you get knocked back at some point in the middle of this and can then Force Leap in for that 4 focus and that will speed up your output a bit.

in the damage rotation, what do the numbers mean? ie "force leap(4)"

Skip Righteous zeal get ataru mastery, you dont need a lower cd on that to gain focus. You will have plenty. Fill out that whole first tier as well and it looks just like my build. I would shave 1 of the points from Stagger to finish out off hand mastery.