Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some ping rates from all over the APAC region. I was actually surprised the ADSL ones were so low. Whether you decide to play or not is totally up to you - some people and some playstyles allow for more latency than others.

But I'm sick of people claiming the game will be "unplayable." Especially when all they have to back it up is the Chicken Littles in this thread.

Chicken Littles? I checked my own Ping on Begeren Colony and got 150-200ms from NZ, with no one on screen, i know from experience that in warzones and ops ping is worse and if its higher than 50ms people lagg and dc... we will not be on a even playing field in warzones with those in america, and if we try to op with our already established teams im pretty sure we will all be lagging and dc-ing while fighting for example TFB or Kephess... so chicken littles? i think not...

im pretty sure we will all be lagging and dc-ing while fighting for example TFB or Kephess... so chicken littles? i think not...

Well, I haven't been DCing, or even lagging all that much. Even in highly populated areas and even in HM FPs and Ops. But gee, if you're "pretty sure" that's terribly convincing. Especially since you haven't actually, you know, tried it.

Well, I haven't been DCing, or even lagging all that much. Even in highly populated areas and even in HM FPs and Ops. But gee, if you're "pretty sure" that's terribly convincing. Especially since you haven't actually, you know, tried it.

A lot of us have played on US servers, if if you do anything that requires quick reactions, you're already 1/3 - 1/5 of a second behind the reaction time an American player will have. Plus increased lag spikes and Harbinger's regular problems.

We're not "Chicken Littles", we just aren't gullible fanboys with rosé coloured glasses who welcome an obvious degradation in service quality.

Where is Harbinger located? I logged in and created a toon there. The ping rate was all over the map. I created a Smuggler and my ping was over 700, with one red bar... then it went to about 250 with 3 bars, but kept fluctuating... I live in the U.S. My ping on Shadowlands is usually around 60, and on Dalborra, between 250-300. If an American trying to play on Har, what can Aus folk expect? What is up with this ping rate? Hardware issues? I play on Dal because my friends are there... This solution isn't working for me; how can it work for them?

Where is Harbinger located? I logged in and created a toon there. The ping rate was all over the map. I created a Smuggler and my ping was over 700, with one red bar... then it went to about 250 with 3 bars, but kept fluctuating... I live in the U.S. My ping on Shadowlands is usually around 60, and on Dalborra, between 250-300. If an American trying to play on Har, what can Aus folk expect? What is up with this ping rate? Hardware issues? I play on Dal because my friends are there... This solution isn't working for me; how can it work for them?

Could depend on your ISP

That's my one gripe. Personally I like the idea of merging with a US server. People on dalbora really don't understand what it's like to play on a server where your only hope of getting any multiplayer content is to arrange it with one of the stable guilds on the server. If I wasn't in such a good guild I'd basically be playing a single player game now. Just not enough population for group finder to be worth anything. Yeah I think combining the australian servers would be better but it's simply not realistic. Other MMOs don't do it because it's not cost effective. We got 3 servers for a year. No way they'll do one. We can demand all we want but when the game's already bringing in a lot less subscriptions than EA thought it would, we need to be realistic about things.

Having said that, I want to choose which server I go to rather than have one arbitrarily picked for me. A lot of people who started on harbinger will be returning to their old server. Well when I came to APAC servers I got to pick which one I came to. I chose an RP server but didn't have it forced on me. It wasn't a case of now you came from an RP server, therefore you must transfer to Gav Daragon. I made a choice. Now we're getting kicked off APAC servers I too would like to return to my old server rather than starting off all over again on a completely new one. Nothing against Begeren Colony but it's not the only RP server. If I have to move I want to go to ebon hawke where my old guildmates from the 13th legion are (formerly on sanctum of the exalted before us server mergers).

You literally are the thickest person of this thread seriously. We have a perfectly fine server "Dalborra" that you could be merged too without deleting all the oceanic servers, but HURR DURR I want us server! Me want us server!

But you must be happy biofail are catering to your inability to figure out that dalborra is fine. Also you seem to love to use anecdotal evidence as fact since biofail haven't confirmed if oceanic servers aren't financially viable to run, so I'll toss another gem of anecdotal evidence back at you,the bastion off peak population, when it is Australian prime time has less people playing the dalborra, so when are they closing the bastion?

Edited by aVmuse

You should keep in mind the fact that many of us played on NA servers before the apac ones opened so are quite aware exactly what its like.

It may also depend on what your playing, if your a high end pvp or ops players the extra lag changes everything. RWZ's and NM EC are pretty razors each as it is......which a seconds lag you cant compete.

The guild I am in, for example, does both these things so dumping us onto a NA server has basically destroyed the game.

Oh no, wait! I can still do dailies without disadvantage! :cool:

Also, this was clearly the last thing we wanted so BW just totally ignored us. I can see why people are annoyed.

I'm sorry that MD and GD have population issues, but Dalborra is just fine. I'd rather see it left as is and would welcome our friends from RP and PVP servers to come and join our excellent community. It may not be as big as some of the super servers in NA, but we will not have the same sense of community over there that we had here.

Could depend on your ISP

My rates are consistent with Shadow, Dalborra, Harbinger and I just tested The Red Eclipse, a European server. Shadowlands is on the east coast; Harbinger on the west coast and I am in the middle of both. I get a better rate on Dalborra than I do on a West Coast server. I also get a better rate on the Red Eclipse, tho not by much. I play an Aus server because I work nights, sleep days and that is when my guild is active. If I'm having ping issues, I cannot imagine what they will deal with. We're likely going to lose some folks over this. Why not consolidate the three asian pacific servers and give the players wanting more pvp challenge, the option to copy to Harbinger, if that is what they are seeking? That would be a win-win scenario.

I did add my voice to the petition.

Edited by Izabo
add

So we have to give up our latency which is a factor for online games, for a solution that doesn't benefit a majority of Dalborra a least. I bet you've never had to deal with being bull******* by lag, but then again you're probably a low latency privileged, yet stupid American who wouldn't understand what its like to play online games outside your own country.

Also it's not 1hr+ queues for pvp on Dalborra, but HURR DUURRRR IM AMERICAN I KNOW EVERYTHING.

And also I have played on American servers and the lag sucks.

Wrong i'm australian and what i've been saying makes more sense than your stupid logic "ERMMAEGRDDD MY PING is GOING TO BE 180-200 UNPLAYABLE, **** this game and **** EAWARE for fixing the population issues HURR DURRR (see i can look internet funny aswell ***)" granted it's not the most ideal solution but it's a still a solution which is better than playing on ghost town servers like MDN and GD

And it seems that only Dalborra players are butthurt about it from what I can see MDN and GD are actually glad but no you can't let go of ur lil tight knit community

BTW buddy Dalborra had like 80 people on the pub fleet on a monday night at "primetime" and the imp fleet wouldnt of been much better which..sorry to burst your bubble is a dying server. stop living in denial the APAC servers are dead/dying and there's not anything you, me or any other apac player can do about it. GG

Edited by jackdaley

The no.1 cause of our Ping is the Pacific Ocean.

There is only one way to fix Ping from Australia/Oceanic Region customers to North America West Coast server

Improve the connection quality and the internet routing to the server, and the only proven way in gaming that comes close to that is to provide/access a Tunneling Routing service across the Pacific Ocean!

Wow had unofficial ones, but they sometimes weren't stable... if EA provided an official tunneling server, where we could log into Sydney and get direct routed to NA West coast server network, that would be epic. That would be a innovation, but then again this is EA, they already proven this year they have no concept of how the internet and game connectivity actually works.

They need to do this or at least officially allow us to use third party tunneling services.

I would be satisfied if they did something about the latency that will cause SWTOR to lose a LOT of APAC players.

Problem

Everyone who transfers their characters will lose their names, including guild names.

Solution

Allow everyone to keep their name without change (character, legacy, guild). Mark the end of each name with a letter or symbol that lets everyone know those characters came from the APAC servers.

Example

Before transfer: John Smith

After transfer: John Smith *

where * is a special character unique to the server the character was created on

Keep dreaming. Eaware don't care about your special in game name lol.

Wrong i'm australian and what i've been saying makes more sense than your stupid logic "ERMMAEGRDDD MY PING is GOING TO BE 180-200 UNPLAYABLE, **** this game and **** EAWARE for fixing the population issues HURR DURRR (see i can look internet funny aswell ***)" granted it's not the most ideal solution but it's a still a solution which is better than playing on ghost town servers like MDN and GD

And it seems that only Dalborra players are butthurt about it from what I can see MDN and GD are actually glad but no you can't let go of ur lil tight knit community

BTW buddy Dalborra had like 80 people on the pub fleet on a monday night at "primetime" and the imp fleet wouldnt of been much better which..sorry to burst your bubble is a dying server. stop living in denial the APAC servers are dead/dying and there's not anything you, me or any other apac player can do about it. GG

Just out of curiosity was this recently cause there was this little thing called the gree event on so if it was of course fleet numbers would be down.

They need to do this or at least officially allow us to use third party tunneling services.

I would be satisfied if they did something about the latency that will cause SWTOR to lose a LOT of APAC players.

Tried a few tunneling services, all of them cant go under 160ish in NA. dunno for others tho

Can you blame us for wanting to keep our community? More to the point: we've been dealing with our server pop as is for a while now and, by-and-large, it works. Group Finder can be a bit painful at times, and there are times when Warzone queues are just... yeah. But the general community spirit was something to be proud of.

Cheers though for your kind words in support of our plight though. It's great to see such empathetic individuals such as yourself on these forums. :rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity was this recently cause there was this little thing called the gree event on so if it was of course fleet numbers would be down.

Lol funny u say that because i was on ilum and there was 23 people so that makes it what 103 roughly? still not that good

Wrong i'm australian and live in rural NSW what i've been saying makes more sense than your stupid logic "ERMMAEGRDDD MY PING is GOING TO BE 180-200 UNPLAYABLE, **** this game and **** EAWARE for fixing the population issues" granted it's not the most ideal solution but it's a still a solution which is better than playing on ghost town servers like MDN and GD

HURR DURR I already have a low ping server with a manageable population, why would I want to go to some us server that increases my ping and has no other benefit, other than faster pve pops because in my opinion the pvp pop rate on dalborra is acceptable, also the price you pay for an oceanic server is always going to be lower population maybe you haven't got the memo yet.

But our population on the week days is not 80 it is usually in the low hundreds during prime time for both sides of the fleet and that's bloody 200 people right there, not an anecdotal ghost town you morons keep slinging around, hate to burst your bubble but that population for our prime time is better then what we would get on a similar population US server when we would be playing in the off-peak and at higher ping. And we get more pop during weekends.

Also the ping issue is important my ping goes from 20 to 160, why exactly would I want that when our server is fine, and I bet if an American was forced to play in higher ping all hell would break lose. But keep saying the oceanic servers are dead when they aren't.

Almost 300 people wanting to keep oceanic servers is just a sign that we are not dead

Lol anything less than 5000 is a minority and barely noticable at all by big companies like EA

But for devils advocate i'll do the math EA reports 2 million players you say 300 that is like 0.003% uhh yeah sorry not even worth looking at

You haven't talked to people on the Gav Daragon server, haven't you. I am a regular on this server and as far as I'm aware or that I know, most of the players are unsubscribing or are about to unsubscribe from SWTOR, when (or if) this happens. Most people don't want to, but that's the price of Bioware's stupid (and downright crazy) decision.

Lol because a ****** little petition will change anything.

Wake up :D

Can't help but notice Elysiah, you post a similar post to this every few pages. We have 300 people who disagree with you so far and this is increasing steadily during hours APAC is actually awake. What factual numbers do you have to back up your pessimistic trolling?

SIGN THE PETITION TO KEEP A LOCAL MERGED SERVER IN APAC

Can't help but notice Elysiah, you post a similar post to this every few pages. We have 300 people who disagree with you so far and this is increasing steadily during hours APAC is actually awake. What factual numbers do you have to back up your pessimistic trolling?

SIGN THE PETITION TO KEEP A LOCAL MERGED SERVER IN APAC

The fact that SWTOR has "2 million" players according to EA, what percentage is 300 of 2 million? Exactly :rolleyes: