Why is BW sitting on Paid Character Transfers?

Graydon

Relax OP. They are coming. We, on the last of the dead servers, just got the ability to transfer less then 7 days ago. And there are problems. I think the transfers went smoothly, but nevertheless, there are issues with load balancing. I understand that you aren't really adding to the load if you already have a toon on said server, but others haven't moved and did not reroll. In fact they are waiting for paid transfers so they can move where they want once.

So.... lets give them sometime to sort things out just a bit more. After all, if you pay for a transfer, I'm sure you will agree, you want absolutely no hiccups or unexpected consequences. And... if you pay... you may even want to keep your name.

Realistically, with 1.3 being released... it may even take a little more time. That's the reality. Nevertheless, it hasn't been that long, and I think you will be glad you waited.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe but truthfully it will have little impact on current server pops. I play on JC after rerolling from kraisk obelisk. KO got transfers to ordo. I didn't transfer and still play on JC. Being able to move my 50's from KO to JC has no effect on JC server pop. I currently play there and can only play one toon at a time.

I'm with you dude. I'm already on Fatman and not going anywhere. So technically allowing me to transfer over isn't going to mess with anything. But maybe the expect a huge influx of users to certain servers. I'm not sure.

GREAT IDEA MAN!

Spend time and effort into getting server populations to good levels and while that's going on give the players the ability to leave said servers to reduce it or spread out to dead servers for them to start complaining all over again that they're on dead servers before a decision is made about the servers players are currently transferring off of.

AWESOME!

All sarcasm aside, you made a good point. But who's to say they let even paid transfers move to any severs other than their consolidated "mega-servers" they just created? In fact, since it's a foregone conclusion that they will eventually close those now-dead servers, it would be pretty pointless to let anyone transfer to those servers at all, paid or not. Easy enough; just don't make them available.

I would guess that they would also have to disallow transfers, paid or not, to certain mega-servers like The Fatman that are already busting at the seems. Or at least only allow them for players with characters already on them over a certain level or for a predetermined amount of time (to avoid juking the system), as this wouldn't actually increase those server pops.

Otherwise, though, if their system is in place (and it may well not be), there isn't any other reason I can think of for them not to go ahead and open them up. Would cure a lot of the problems for those that regret their decisions to transfer to their preselected destination servers during this round. And there are a lot.

Will you please relax. All this was already announced by Bioware, please just give them a few more months to setup the credit-card charging services for transfers and we will be all set.

I understand why BW wants to let things settle down on the server side of the house due to the recent transfers. But the fact of the matter is they have a system that works in place and a lot of frustrated players who rerolled due to dead servers. Given the focus on Legacy and naming conventions I also understand why people were frustrated with transfers as the way BW handled the issue flys in the face of their marketing on Legacies and your characters being special. That being said there are some players who were completely screwed by BW when the Oceanic servers were opened up, some Aussies who's characters that didn't meet the creation deadline for the move. And then there is my case, a US player (one of many) playing with Friends in Australia and New Zealand in a predominately Oceanic Guild. BW and EA made a big deal about the importance of gaming with friends to the point they pre placed guilds on servers but of course like so many things they failed to have Oceanic servers available. When they opened the oceanic servers did they let whole guild move or give anyone a choice to move their toons, of course not. So I sit on Vornskr with my Legacy toons and BW was kind enough to offer me a free transfer to Harbinger, well whoop dee do, my guild and friends are on Dalbora not Harbinger. So much for Guilds are a key part of our gaming community.

I respect your take on the situation but don't tell me to relax. BW has the capability to move my toons to Dalborra (I will live with the lag) they just choose not too and then they wonder why people are pissed off. Patience only gets you so far and every week they seem to alienate more of their player base. I have contacted them several times regarding my situation and get the same old canned response "we are working on it, congratulations you can move your toons to Harbinger, blah blah blah. To me its about playing with the people I pre-ordered this game with so until it happens I will have 8 toons sitting on a dead server that hopefully costs EA/BW more than the 15 dollars I pay them a month.

GREAT IDEA MAN!

Spend time and effort into getting server populations to good levels and while that's going on give the players the ability to leave said servers to reduce it or spread out to dead servers for them to start complaining all over again that they're on dead servers before a decision is made about the servers players are currently transferring off of.

AWESOME!

My apologies, I thought it would be quite obvious that the transfers would be limited to the "Destination" servers.

I rolled on a west coast server since it had the names I wanted at launch, but since then all my friends have rerolled on east coast, and I have a few htere myself, but I have been waiting to transfer the characters I left behind for months. I understand they want to let the dust settle, but it's been two weeks since they opened transfers. I don't want to wait two more months.

I think realistically this shouldn't take longer than two more weeks, and I think that it's a mistake to release 1.3 before paid transfers are rolled out, because that's yet ANOTHER delay.

GREAT IDEA MAN!

AWESOME!

This is exactly why after the dead server issue - population balancing is the right thing to do - closing a few would also be the right thing to do - before allowing players to bounce around and end up with the same problem.

Allowing people who already have toons on a given server, to consolidate - i.e. bring their OTHER toons to the same destination server - does NOT require any "stabilization" or any other hesitation of any kind.

As the OP states more politely than I would, a LOT of players did not sit around waiting and praying the BW would get around to implement something they should have planned and prepared for before launch - so they rolled on higher-population servers with new toons. Population drop is the ONE thing that is 100% predictable and COMMON for ALL MMOs and player consolidation is a GIVEN - only the timeframe may differ.

Now that the pre-determined server transfers are done, ANYONE should be able to consolidate toons to any server they already have toons on. What ELSE is the whole legacy stuff for anyway?

Is it because they didn't THINK ahead far enough or is it because of some paranoid marketing department that these guys can't figure out to communicate WHOLE PLANS at a time? Why must everything be drip-fed? What so blasted hard about telling EVERYTHING about transfers in ONE COMMUNICATION?

Bioware has demonstrated their ability to efficiently mass transfer characters from one server to another, so why did they stop there?

I know BW has not given a when of if this service will be available, but could anyone speculate why the heck not? And what the bleep are they waiting for? If they are worried about balance, just make the initial price where transfers would slowly be purchased.

People are subscribing and unsubscribing everyday, so please don't tell me the server balance is so delicate that consolidating characters onto existing destination servers is going to blow up the populations.

There is a huge player base that rerolled new characters on the very few populated servers when their server population dried up. Now they (including me) would like to reunite all our characters onto a singel server.

I don't understand why BW is pushing this Legacy stuff while penalizing players who made adjsutments during the lonely server days. I don't see 10 page posts regarding the suspense and excitement over Legacy perks. What I do see is BW expecting us and encouraging us to play alts...well then make it so and let us consolidate please.

Bioware, why are you not implementing paid transfers? The usual "maybe we will" response is total huge B.S.

You aren't being penalized by not being opened up to a new function that you have never had.

They're in the process of shifting a LOT of moving pieces around (us) within their network and I think it's quite obvious they'd like to see where everyone goes for the first primary "filtering" before opening up the system to chaotic movements in any direction.

On a lighter note, low server populations across the board were a problem with the game and with a significant portion of the player base.

Your woes about having started multiple characters on multiple servers and not being able to consolidate them all on one server has not been a problem with the game in general, and certainly hasn't affected a large portion of the player base.

In addition, I suspect that the coming addition of extra character slots has something to do with this, as the people who want to consolidate toons often seem to have more toons than slots available on a single server.

Think about how confusing it would become for many players if they released free and paid transfers at the same time. That would have been a big mistake. Besides they should close the servers they intend to close before paid transfers as well.

But that's the thing - currently-subscribed players who have characters on the "dead" servers have them on there for a reason. For most of us, it's because we're waiting for paid transfers. I'm loving it over on Prophecy of the Five (pvp), but I can't currently get my Mind Trick (pve) Repub character to join my Imps there. My only free option is to move her to some other pve server - which is worthless to me. So my Mind Trick character sits idle. If I can't join her to my legacy or play on the same server as my guild, what's the point of moving or playing her?

Open up paid transfers, and a bunch of us will undoubtedly pull characters off those dead servers onto the big ones, so all you'll have left are unsubbed people and people who just like tiny servers for some reason. THEN you can worry about whether you want to close servers.

All sarcasm aside, you made a good point. But who's to say they let even paid transfers move to any severs other than their consolidated "mega-servers" they just created? In fact, since it's a foregone conclusion that they will eventually close those now-dead servers, it would be pretty pointless to let anyone transfer to those servers at all, paid or not. Easy enough; just don't make them available.

I would guess that they would also have to disallow transfers, paid or not, to certain mega-servers like The Fatman that are already busting at the seems. Or at least only allow them for players with characters already on them over a certain level or for a predetermined amount of time (to avoid juking the system), as this wouldn't actually increase those server pops.

I like your ideas.

Is there any reason to believe that they will allow PvE->PvP transfers with paid transfers? Or have they said as much and I've just missed it?

I haven't seen any confirmations. But I would think if you pay for it, you can move wherever you want. . .or at least would hope. But I'm not familiar with how other companies do it.

I haven't seen any confirmations. But I would think if you pay for it, you can move wherever you want. . .or at least would hope. But I'm not familiar with how other companies do it.

Different companies have made different choices, a company even changed their stance after a while.

So we have to wait for details.

GREAT IDEA MAN!

AWESOME!

Would be interesting to see what theyll do when they finally close down the servers. I have 8 toons on Tarro Blood still ... no point in transferring, I havent played them in months. Still, I have 8 in the destination server already ... what are they going to do? Another server? What if I already have some there? Wouldnt be too hard to fill up all the destination servers with toons. Maybe they should raise the character cap ... or just open up free transfers for everyone and let us sort it out (like they shouldve done from the beginning!).

You have a source for this information?

Sure. Check out: http://www.videogamer.com/pc/star_wars_the_old_republic/news/star_wars_the_old_republic_character_transfers_coming_this_summer.html

Dallas Dickinson, senior producer Live Services: "First we'll have some targeted free transfers from/to specific servers, but that will be followed with a broader system where you can either take advantage of free promotional transfers to specific servers or paid transfers to the server of your choice."