Game Update 1.7 Developer Blog: Galactic Reputation

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the motivation for doing this new grind?

Its a new system that basically asks us to grind lots of old content. Fine. New titles, OK. But why on earth would the majority of the population actually be interested in this thing? I'm sure you do have some rewards for it but you've not even hinted at what they are!!

It is unbelieveably poor marketing to release a blog like this introducing a new grind without even trying to incentivise the community. Sort it out.

It's just another grind, it's basically the same thing WoW did with Burning Crusade (attach rep grinds to EVERYTHING) - which is basically why I quit WoW after BC and never went back.

I'm all for lateral character development, but I'd much rather this be something character based, rather than just a grind for another title or bit of gear that is soon out of date.

The only place where grinds like this really work IMO is in PvP, where it gives you a "rank".

So... People who have completed their class quests as a Jedi Knight are going to be 'unknown' to the Jedi?

And lords of the Sith are going to be unknown to the Empire and (should they introduce Mandalorians) BHs are going to be unknown to them.....yeah.

This is why I was kind of hoping you would get rep points for completing class story goals (and preferably world story).

Not to mention the Voss already know and revere you - assuming you do the world quest.

If you get reputation for things you would normally do then fair enough. I used to enjoy a space mission every so often but don't enjoy them after the last patch, so I don't do them anymore. If however the rewards from this rep grind mean that if you want to remain BiS, I can imagine lots of people grinding away at things they simply don't enjoy to be able to compete. we just need to wait and see what the rewards are.

I hope though that Bioware adjust their metrics analysis with to these grinds. For example their metrics may show that loads are people are doing the space missions. They may assume that people are happy with space the way it is because of this uptake - whereas many players may just see it as a grindy means to an end.

Edited by Delvianseek

The thing I'm keen to know is if using a single character you can hit the reputation cap for the week?

I suspect the answer is yes to ensure people with lots of Alts don't have a huge advantage. So finishing the weekly and say 7 time the Section x Dailes will hit the weekly cap, doesn't matter if this is done by one character over the week or 7 characters in a day.

Ideally caps will be lower than that though.

It's just another grind, it's basically the same thing WoW did with Burning Crusade (attach rep grinds to EVERYTHING) - which is basically why I quit WoW after BC and never went back.

I'm all for lateral character development, but I'd much rather this be something character based, rather than just a grind for another title or bit of gear that is soon out of date.

The only place where grinds like this really work IMO is in PvP, where it gives you a "rank".

EVE has a rep system which was (like everything else in EVE) significantly more complicated but simplifying down you had 2 reputations that mattered one for the sub faction (eg Imperial Reclamations Service) and one for the faction (eg Sith Empire) and they affected each other. Higher reputation scores allowed access to better missions and agents (quest givers), reduced repair costs, lowered costs for using starbase facilities owned by that faction and higher rewards for missions completed.

There was an element of equipment in there but it was mostly to do with increasing rewards for completing content. If memory served it also changed how polite the agents were to you but that might be my memory playing tricks.

That was more what I was hoping for -reduced repair costs, higher mission rewards, maybe a weekly milk run mission or two as a reward for your discretion / loyalty. Not grind this new bar to allow you to grind credits to equip another recolour of hideous end game gear and a generic title or two.

If you get reputation for things you would normally do then fair enough. I used to enjoy a space mission every so often but don't enjoy them after the last patch, so I don't do them anymore. If however the rewards from this rep grind mean that if you want to remain BiS, I can imagine lots of people grinding away at things they simply don't enjoy to be able to compete. we just need to wait and see what the rewards are.

I hope though that Bioware adjust their metrics analysis with to these grinds. For example their metrics may show that loads are people are doing the space missions. They may assume that people are happy with space the way it is because of this uptake - whereas many players may just see it as a grindy means to an end.

It looks to me they have deliberately attached the rep grind to the least popular content in the game - Voss H4s, HM space and section X in a blatant attempt to get people to play it for a while. Rather than attaching to content people actually regularly play.

I really cant see the point of going back to the same static planets fighting over mobs with some poor low levels grinding to 50, just to get a title and vanity items. (this is guessing, i can be wrong and the items might be usefull however i doubt it)

This is not something i would have focused on if they are to reuse old content do NMM FP with rakata/BH drops or something that can actually improve your toon. The FP are some of the best content ingame and would be awesome with new mechanics and making bonus bosses worth taking.

Edited by Griad

Section X weekly gives us some reputation rewards does this mean that the March of the dread guard quest will be fixed for the imperial players in order for us to complete the weekly and get the reward?

The quest works fine.

i pvp only, i dont do hm's, i dont do raids, i dont do pve dailies,

So from just doing pvp and crafting means i will earn ZERO from the reputation feature thats incomming.

So bioware what the hell u thinking with this feature that u forgot all about pvpers and crafters? are we not to earn anything from that feature which means ill be paying for a new feature i will never earn anything from lol

Biggest waste of time EU!!

WTB Bug fixes and content!

This provides nothing to PVP'rs or even hardcore engame PVE'rs...infact what on earth is the point in these silly names which do nothing ingame??

Edited by Malds

I really cant see the point of going back to the same static planets fighting over mobs with some poor low levels grinding to 50, just to get a title and vanity items. (this is guessing, i can be wrong and the items might be usefull however i doubt it)

This is not something i would have focused on if they are to reuse old content do NMM FP with rakata/BH drops or something that can actually improve your toon. The FP are some of the best content ingame and would be awesome with new mechanics and making bonus bosses worth taking.

Respectfully, I just wanted to say that I really, really dislike this idea. Enormously.

I don't believe this content is aimed primarily at people who nonsensically (story-wise) re-do story content again and again, I think it's aimed at people who don't, to focus them on content they can repeat and give them an incentive to actually repeat it. The reason people like this are in danger of falling out of the game? -> They have no interest in repeating story-heavy flashpoints.

I am assuming this a vanity grind to occupy people who are not running content like this because they have no interest in doing harder and harder modes of killing specific people they've already killed. Attatching this to flashpoints would just defeat the entire point. The people who are interested in repeating flashpoints already are.

Now you want to make some special new 'generic' "flashpoint" designed from a story point of view to be repeatable (maybe with a randomized boss name/appearance?) and attach it to that, sure, but I don't see that happening.

Edited by Jagrevi

I have completed 6 of the 8 storylines and have numerous alts, i have been playing for over a year now and if dont get retroactive rep points, I will probally just ignore this feature.

I am not going reroll for rep points when I am already looking to level 8 characters 5 more levels through the same repeated content on the new planet

Edited by kirorx

Although this doesn't overly concern me about reputation, I do think this is a good idea, as it will encourage more people from early levels to group up and do Heroics so they can increase there Reputation.

This will improve the skills of users and allow them to better understand their roles.

I think from most of the reply's here, people are thinking from their LVL50 perspective and having to go back and do the low lvl Heroics again, I don't think this is the case, there is already lvl50 reputation heroic's worked into this. So I don't think it will be worth while going back and doing low lvls so you can get an advanced armour 2 :) ....

EVE has a rep system which was (like everything else in EVE) significantly more complicated but simplifying down you had 2 reputations that mattered one for the sub faction (eg Imperial Reclamations Service) and one for the faction (eg Sith Empire) and they affected each other. Higher reputation scores allowed access to better missions and agents (quest givers), reduced repair costs, lowered costs for using starbase facilities owned by that faction and higher rewards for missions completed.

There was an element of equipment in there but it was mostly to do with increasing rewards for completing content. If memory served it also changed how polite the agents were to you but that might be my memory playing tricks.

That was more what I was hoping for -reduced repair costs, higher mission rewards, maybe a weekly milk run mission or two as a reward for your discretion / loyalty. Not grind this new bar to allow you to grind credits to equip another recolour of hideous end game gear and a generic title or two.

Yep, more advanced and more rewarding systems can certainly be done.

I have completed 6 of the 8 storylines and have numerous alts, i have been playing for over a year now and if dont get retroactive rep points, I will probally just ignore this feature.

I am not going reroll for rep points when I am already looking to level 8 characters 5 more levels through the same repeated content on the new planet

The good news is there appears to be no reason for you to replay any planet or class story lines, or in fact any lower level content at all. Also, you won't be getting any retroactive rep, because you didn't "miss" anything from the leveling content you already did.

The only things you can get rep from are apparently Voss Heroics, Section X Weeklies, and Hard Mode Space Missions, along with the Special Events. This is all 47-50ish level content, and it's basically just tacking another stupid daily grind onto the existing stupid daily grind. It's also an obvious attempt to make people play content that they have avoided because it is boring, annoying, sucks rocks, or gives nothing you want (like Voss Heroics, Section X Weeklies, and Hard Mode Space Missions).

It appears to be an attempt to distract people (from what, I am not sure, slow pace of story development?) by gating some new equipment behind not only a grind, but an artificially paced grind (with a cash option to partially bypass).

Indeed. But, many of us that have played other MMORPGs have been down this road before and recognise it for what it is. Also, seems part in parcel with the way things have been done with this game from the begining. "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" ... riiiiiiight. It's amazing how this game has made so many mistakes that were made in previous games. Don't they study their competition, past and present? I mean aren't some of the developers of this game from other games that have made these mistakes? SWTOR could have been a great game. It will go into history as a game with so much potential that was never realized. :cool:

I am not in favor of this type of forced replay of existing content. The development time spent on this could have been aimed at the many numerous and ongoing bugs that continue to plague us on a daily basis. Perhaps a reputation system for figuring out ways around buggy content would be more appropriate. :mad: