Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Looks Ancient (this one's a pearl, gentlemen)

Machine-Elf

So I was just checking out a walkthrough from the 2009 version of our favorite game and was amazed by how rudimentary everything looked.

; they basically had to rework the game, almost from the ground up, in less than a year. They may have done so multiple times.

Anyway, looking at that video, there's no denying SWTOR has been evolving in leaps and bounds since it's original conception. At least in terms of its presentation (even though I hate the current default U.I.).

But then I noticed something in the fourth part of the video, I think, where it's made clear that Flashpoints were originally designed as showcases for how each of the different classes' unique abilities would complement one another. If only we had that back.

Come on BioWare, you know you want to.

Edited by Machine-Elf

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I was just checking out a walkthrough from the 2009 version of our favorite game and was amazed by how rudimentary everything looked.
; they basically had rework the game, almost from the ground up, in less than a year. They may have done so multiple times.

Anyway, looking at that video, there's no denying SWTOR has been evolving in leaps and bounds since it's original conception. At least in terms of its presentation (even though I hate the current default U.I.).

But then I noticed something in the fourth part of the video, I think, where it's made clear that Flashpoints were originally designed as showcases for how each of the different classes' unique abilities would complement one another. If only we had that back.

You'll notice in that video at the end he talks about the player needs to feel heroic taking on multiple enemies. A far stretch of what we have now with 8 or 16 players beating down one large boss and some adds... Thats where we need the element of heroism. The feeling of impossible odds with no escape. But alas, the engine can't support more than 16 players or characters in the same area such as PvP etc without massive lag.

Umm, this doesn't mean they needed to rework the game... they just polished up the graphics, animations, and UI. The last year is usually the polish phase of an MMO. Its a progression of how a game is made, it just doesn't start out with AAA graphics in alpha stages.

; they basically had to rework the game, almost from the ground up, in less than a year. They may have done so multiple times.

Incidentally, I want a blaster pistol that sounds like that. :p

Thats not how it works. You can look at any game half way through its development and think it looks vastly different then the finished product. You don't go straight from conception to polished marble, through most of a games development graphics are ******, animations or janky, things looks different, and they only get progressively better over time. Its like... you don't write a book then toss it and rewrite it completely to make improvements, you edit it.

There are also comments re: decisions actually having an impact on gameplay.

• Choices were 1 shot back then (no redos)
  • Companions could betray you if you got X amount of negative affection
  • There were a crapton of armors back then
  • CEs were promised regular updates
  • Starships were to have customized paintjobs
  • Coruscant and Dromund Kaas were to have apartment complexes
  • HK-51 was originally on Hoth
  • CM Commandos were some of the top healers
  • LS and DS mattered back then

And many more things sadly...

Edited by Eillack

What i see is a game that has not yet gone through its polish phase...

But its pretty obvious the OP does not have a clue as to how games are made if he actually thinks they scrapped everything and rebuilt it in the last year.

also, the bounty hunter at the start probably had a little "stinker" in his pants from the looks of his walk :p

PS. GIMME THOSE FEMALE HAIRCUTS!

Oh and WHAT HAPPENED TO THE AWESOME STAR WARS-Y BLASTER SOUNDS!?!?!

Its a bad thing when the laceholder sounds are better than the final ones :(

Edited by OddballEasyEight

• Choices were 1 shot back then (no redos)
  • Companions could betray you if you got X amount of negative affection
  • There were a crapton of armors back then
  • CEs were promised regular updates
  • Starships were to have customized paintjobs
  • Coruscant and Dromund Kaas were to have apartment complexes
  • HK-51 was originally on Hoth
  • CM Commandos were some of the top healers
  • LS and DS mattered back then

And many more things sadly...

I remember majority of those things back in beta. *cries* Some of the changes bioware did broke me.

Wouldnt be too strange if they used some of the resources from their old game as placeholders...

Of course it wouldn't. But there was something quite satisfying about it after having played the KOTOR's. Compared to how it is now, which just doesn't feel anything like the series

I remember majority of those things back in beta. *cries* Some of the changes bioware did broke me.

Do tell more:)

I love the story in the game and the decisions but you always get the impression that it was going to be more ie like KOTOR.

in thst game, your decisions could cause your companions to turn, your abilities would change depending on your alignment etc. And of course your decisions could significantly change your story.

It would've been great to see that in TOR.