Crafting Skill

Fisherlogan

If you are talking about crew skills, you need to open your companion window (the default key stroke is the N key). Next to each companion are your crew skill icons, click one of them and a window will appear. If you click a crafting skill then the crafting interface will open. If you click a gathering or mission skill then the mission interface will open. If you craft anything or send a companion on a mission that companion is not available to quest with. Edited by psandak

The skills you can get aren't really class specific, although it wouldn't be smart to have snytheweaving, which makes jedi robes for a bounty hunter now would it?. Armormech make jheavy and medium armor, Artifice lets you craft crystals for you guns, Cybertech makes mods for your armor, Armstech, making weapons, Biochem lets you make stims and medpacks. Then there are gathering skills, Archaeology, where you can gather things like lightsaber crystals and ancient artifacts, Bioanalysis, where you can collect genetic material from creatures and plants, Scavenging lets you recover useful materials and parts from old or damaged technology, Slicing lets you access secured computer systems and lockboxes to acquire valuable data and rare schematics, then there are Mission skills, these you have to send out your companions to do, it's the only way you can level the skill, whereas the gathering skills, you can level that while leveling your characters if you have the minimum level required to loot the things on that planet, there is diplomacy, investigation, treasure hunting, and underworld trading.

Now, you are free to choose what you want to do, choose whatever interests you, what i've done, since i have several characters, i have each of them have a different crafting skill, therefore I can make pretty much whatever i want!

Now, some gathering skills and mission skills are better suited to some crafting skills than others, as you can acquire the materials you need from the gathering and mission skills for the crafting skill, you can also take things that won't gather the correct materials, but give you money rather, and then buy the materials off the Galactic Trade Market.

Below are the gathering and mission skills that are best suited for each crafting skill.

Biochem - Bioanalysis - Diplomacy

Armstech - Scavenging - Investigation

Cybertech - Underworld Trading - Scavenging

Armormech - Underworld Trading - Scavenging

Synthweaving - Archaeology - Underworld Trading

Artifice - Treasure Hunting - Archaeology

Slicing is off on it's own a little bit, what it does, it let's you acquire crew skill mission that you can sell for money, or use if you have the correct crew skill, these mission are often very valuable as the give you lots of materials, and often rare ones, the skill also let's you collect lockboxes that can give you money while you are out on planets, leveling your character. It can also give you schematic for Cybertechs, although i wouldn't really match it up, as you can buy these schematics off the Galactic Trade Market.

If you need any further help, tell me and i will try to help clear things up, and remember do what you want to do, it isn't class specific.

wow..thanks for the help, greatly appreciated. I'm going to get rid of slicing and get underworld trading instead. Would like to build better armor :) one last question. when i get rid of a skill for another one and then somewhere down the line i decide to use the old one again, does it start where i left off, exp. 100/400 or does it go back to 0/400?

wow..thanks for the help, greatly appreciated. I'm going to get rid of slicing and get underworld trading instead. Would like to build better armor :) one last question. when i get rid of a skill for another one and then somewhere down the line i decide to use the old one again, does it start where i left off, exp. 100/400 or does it go back to 0/400?

Goes back to zero - you forget everything you learned. The intent is to prevent one character from effectively having access to every crew skill. It also discourages crew skill swapping.

one note on the "better armor." depending on your style of play you may find that the armor you can craft is not as good as what you can get out in the world.

If all you do is solo quest (class story, planet questlines, etc) then you will greatly benefit from crafted gear IF you can maintain a crew skill level that is slightly ahead of your character level. The idea being that you can take your time, craft gear to reverse engineer to artifact (purple) quality and have it waiting for you when you hit the required level. The issue is that to do this you HAVE to use the crew skill missions to get the materials because if you try to gather the materials from nodes on planets you will always be behind the curve. What this means is that you might end up being credit starved. That being said, when I did this the only features I could not afford to acquire were piloting II and III from the class trainer (and that was when those skills were MUCH more expensive.

On the other hand, if you group up a significant portion of your time playing you will find that the rewards and drops from heroic quests on planets and flashpoints are superior to anything you can craft. You might be able to replace a flashpoint boss drop item with a purple quality crafted piece for a level or two, but because of the the modular nature of most group rewards newest combinations of armoring, mod, and enhancement will supersede what you crafted rather quickly.

The point is that taking up armormech might not be the best option if you are looking for improved gear. Again it depends on your playstyle.

as long as they're republic or empire, i can do it...good to know

Once you unlock your Legacy, you can add all your characters to it, and then you can send mail to those characters even if they're on the opposing faction.

I think you unlock your Legacy as soon as one of your characters has finished their Chapter 1 story quests.

Once you unlock your Legacy, you can add all your characters to it, and then you can send mail to those characters even if they're on the opposing faction.

I think you unlock your Legacy as soon as one of your characters has finished their Chapter 1 story quests.

with f2p its level 10 that you unlock legacy

• 1 year later...

If you're just starting the game, it would be wise to level up your first character just as a money-gatherer. Do this by picking up Scavenging, Slicing and either Underworld Trading or Treasure Hunting. Sell all the stuff you get from Scavenging and only run Underworld Metals missions if you get Underworld Trading (the fabric missions aren't nearly as useful, profit-wise). Sell all the Underworld Metals you get.

Crew skills are surprisingly expensive to level up and are, in general, dismayingly useless except for making Augments at top-level (the exceptions being Cybertech and Biochem).

If you immediately start your first character making stuff and all your alts making *different* stuff, you will go broke very quickly, and won't be able to purchase your abilities as you level up.

I was wondering why you can't have more than one Crafting Skill(i.e., Artifice and Synthweaving)?

Because of Cybertech and Biochem reusable items (grenades, and stims and adrenals respectively). Having the ability to have both is an unbalancing effect.

It is also a holdover from the crafting skills offering "top end" BoP gear (Rakata)