Exapansion Question

primedef

My understanding is that the idea of Recruit gear will be outdated with 2.0.

Instead, the Bolster mechanic will virtually upgrade people's gear to a Recruit-equivalent level. Basically, it sounds like the stats on your current gear will be adjusted to the stats on similar Lvl54 gear, and then you'll be given Expertise to make up for the difference between your current Expertise and the standard Expertise level Bioware set for Lvl54.

I expect that any Lvl50 players with Elite War Hero gear are going to have a higher Expertise than that standard and thus, they'll have an advantage in Warzones.... and that sounds appropriate to me. However, it shouldn't be a crushing advantage like the one that existed in WZs before the Recruit Gear era. I think the same Expertise boost happens in Lvl55 WZ, giving anyone using either greens or their favorite Custom gear a beginner Expertise level.

In the end, the result should have all the positive effects you'd want: You can keep your favorite leveling gear and it gets treated like Recruit gear in Warzones. Those who have worked for EWH still get their advantage, yet Lvl 31 characters won't get helplessly crushed by Lvl50 players. There is still a benefit to gearing up in WZs. And best of all: You don't need to wear the (often silly-looking) Recruit gear to play in top-level PvP.

Can I assume after the expansion releases that players that reach level 50 will no longer get there level 50 Recruit Gear or 99 Commendations? Will that change to getting these items at level 55?

The only reason it was done In the first place was to help people who hadn't been round a long time catch up with the rest of the game, with the expansion we are all level again at the start so there is no need for free gear

...with the expansion we are all level again at the start so there is no need for free gear

...and because of how the new Bolster works, there should be no need for PvP Recruit gear in the future.

PvE gear is being done differently, by simply dropping higher level gear/comms from the same flashpoints. Since the comms types are no longer specialized to a set of gear ("Classic" comms rather than Tionese/Columi/Rakata/BH....), they'll be able to expand/contract/adjust the gear offerings easier in the future.

• Dev Post
Can I assume after the expansion releases that players that reach level 50 will no longer get there level 50 Recruit Gear or 99 Commendations? Will that change to getting these items at level 55?

That is correct. You will no longer need Recruit gear because of the way Bolster now works. The 'Advanced Gear' missions have been removed, because the item game at 50-55 has changed significantly. Flashpoints at 50+ now drop significantly better equipment than before, and gearing up at 55 is a whole new ballgame.

That is correct. You will no longer need Recruit gear because of the way Bolster now works. The 'Advanced Gear' missions have been removed, because the item game at 50-55 has changed significantly. Flashpoints at 50+ now drop significantly better equipment than before, and gearing up at 55 is a whole new ballgame.

Wow, love that actual devs are responding a bit more to posts +1 for that :rak_03:

To add to your post, I thought I would mention that SM Operations at 55 (SaV and TFB) are perfectly capable of running in at least as low as level 63 gear. Considering level 66 gear drops from the Flashpoints and the Basic comms also let you get 66 gear, You should be comforted in knowing that while that gear will certainly HELP you get to where you need to be, you do not necessarily NEED the gear if you are a mildly decent player.

Expansions and new gear grinds tend to be nicer to newer players since we are all in the same boat. You shouldn't see as much of people kicking you from the group just upon casually glancing at your gear and seeing that you are not in full 69 gear before running a HM Flashpoint (come on, you know this will be happening in a few months... it always does... some people are just mean like that).

Anyway, there should be no reason at this point to just give out gear when you hit 55. I am not opposed to giving everyone a level 66 set maybe a bit later down the road (one or two content patches later), just so they can combat those afore mentioned mean people that will look down on your gear level. But for now, you should be fine with your gear when you hit 55.

The level 50 fp's and ops will be dropping BH and Dread gear I understand. What I am wondering about is what gear people will have when they will able to do these fp's upon reaching 50. Personally I would stay away from the GF because I assume the difficulty will stay the same and even though the drops are better,without tio gear to start with the new 50s will be poorly geared when they start doing level 50 fp's and ops like EV.

The GF is not used as much anymore on my server as it is unless it's a guild team but I do wonder if this will completely kill off pugging.

The level 50 fp's and ops will be dropping BH and Dread gear I understand. What I am wondering about is what gear people will have when they will able to do these fp's upon reaching 50. Personally I would stay away from the GF because I assume the difficulty will stay the same and even though the drops are better,without tio gear to start with the new 50s will be poorly geared when they start doing level 50 fp's and ops like EV.

The GF is not used as much anymore on my server as it is unless it's a guild team but I do wonder if this will completely kill off pugging.

that is my concern as well. tionese/recruit starter set was wonderful for gearing myself ANd companion at the same time upon hitting lvl 50 and being ready to jump into hardmode flashpoints right away.

I understand that flashpoints will drop better gear now, but are we back to having to grind for the starter gear BEFORe we could jump into flashpoints again? (and/or coming across people who queue still wearing mid 40ties blues and greens? )

bear in mind. not everyone will buy expansion right away. and yes its ok to do so.

Edited by Jeweledleah