Sage melee damage?!

Aital

Why does sage not get willpower as a bonus to melee like guardians get both on everything... They unfairly took away the ability to use basic attacks?! The sword is just a basic instant for regen or a simple quick double attack. it's not that big of a deal. It makes no sense to me why we don't get to use our basic attacks in an affective manor like other characters do.

I would love to be able to use my saber normally and be affective. I use it all the time now for fun when in low end content. They wasted the nice art and moves they added to the saber, which looks very nice BTW and almost no sages will ever get to appreciate it now let alone have their close range attacks feasible.

Why did they remove this/never give it to them?

Edited by Aital

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sages are either RDPS or Healers and for both you dont need to be close enough to use a saber

They rely on the Force and thats been made clear from the get-go

And I still say that was a wrong decision by BioWare.

Every Jedi (not sure about the Sith) is trained to use the lightsaber in combat and this should have been reflected in all of the class choices. Unfortunately BioWare decided to turn sages into your stereotypical fantasy wizard/priest type (ranged caster).

It would have been nice if they had allowed us more saber attacks via one of the skill trees.

As a Sage DPS'er I must respond to one of the posts above:

You're right about us "not supposed" to be in close combat, but ever since the nerf, sorry "correction" of our Stun we do find ourselves closer.

Also there is nothing more satisfying than using a last-ditch "Double Strike" in a WZ. I want that person I've killed to see just how I killed them :)

Is it really that bad? I made a new sage, willing to accept I'm a ranged user (new for me), yet do I really end up missin my saber strikes THAT much?

Idea: make double strike have a 20% chance to grant some buff that makes telekinetic throw stronger. Problem solved. :)

one would think wisdom would buff melee attacks, simply for shadows

Double-bladed lightsaber already does it for them.

By the way : I fully support giving back melee bonus to Sages and Sorcerers. They are Jedi and Sith after all, and during their training (Tython & Korriban) they were effective using it. Going from a correct swordmanship, to a dumb swordmanship is stupid. And when looking at Commandos and Snipers, their melee attacks aren't weaker than their Vanguards & Operatives friends. Yes, the Sages and Sorcerers melee attacks doesn't have a CD, but they are weaker than Shadows' and Assassins' ones because they use a single-bladed lightsaber.

Edited by Altheran

Double-bladed lightsaber already does it for them.

By the way : I fully support giving back melee bonus to Sages and Sorcerers. They are Jedi and Sith after all, and during their training (Tython & Korriban) they were effective using it. Going from a correct swordmanship, to a dumb swordmanship is stupid. And when looking at Commandos and Snipers, their melee attacks aren't weaker than their Vanguards & Operatives friends. Yes, the Sages and Sorcerers melee attacks doesn't have a CD, but they are weaker than Shadows' and Assassins' ones because they use a single-bladed lightsaber.

The Counselor/Inquisitor advanced classes must have been mapped out when someone was on muscle relaxants.

Knights/Warriors can AC into tanks or melee dps.

Counselors/Inquisitors can AC into tanks, or rogues, or melee dps, or healers, or ranged dps, or crowdcontrollers? Someone have a hard time deciding so just decided they could be everything?

Going to the point about Range only. The point isn't to use it close unless something gets in close or you are bored. Which I do, usually from boredom not usefulness. And the graphics are cool to watch and I wish they were as affective as my normal attacks so they would be seen more or I had more excuse to use them like I should when something does get in close which happens all the time PVE and PVP. I shouldn't be casting Telekinetic throw when they are within sword range. I should swat them with my saber!(you can't always use push it's on a timer so sword slashes are the natural alternative or should be a possible alternatives! The problem is that you can only kite so much and it is the free and other cheap instant attack with no timer. That has been taken away from sages(you do run out of force as a sage you do need it for emergencies!). All other classes have it and their use is a viable need strategically! I simply want the damage equaled out so if something gets in close I have to option to use it. It's already technically balanced out by the fact that you don't often use the saber because of range. Just give it normal damage for my class. That's all I want. Not even a skill bonus. 8p Basically willpower Plus Strength for base damage.

Even with just willpower added as a damage modifier at max power/main stat it would still be weaker than every other class. but it would be there as it is supposed to be. Ranged should not mean you never use it for a jedi. It makes no sense lore or even practically in this game! The only possible balance needed is no benefits to combat unless it is something like force regen like +Xforce per swing. (+10 or something to the free cast version.) Maybe something like, keep the 2 swing 25 force an instant and change the smaller free one into a 1.5 channel (mental alacrity force regen swings anyone!) instead of an instant so you can utilize alacrity and cut the GCD to give it some bonus or something so it can be made, potentially, equal to the 25 force version. Maybe give the 25 force 2 swing one something like a small 3 stack 10% speed reduction that last 10 seconds.(yes you would potentially stack 3 if you are waiting for run or other timers to get in range again!) Or something lore appropriate to their class. just so you go ouch if you get in close. 8) Makes sense for a kiting class.

If they used the two I mentioned above(free strike gets cast timer that allows alacrity and some force regen and the 25force one gives a 3 stack 10% 10 second speed reducer) they should be powers given at lv 10 or somewhere after you pick Sage so it is unique to sages with your other given passive ability as a class! 8p Easy solution! and I don't mean without willpower being added if anyone gets confused. Those would be nice bonuses with less than damage related bonuses for the sage.

And to quote Darth Zak. They would still use their force powers mainly!

What type of benefit would naturally be most appropriate to the fighting form used by the sage? or what ones?! what is their fighting form etc?

Edited by Aital

I don't play a sage/sorc but I support this. I think people should have options and flexibility in their class. I love my scoundrel because I can do well enough both from at a range, and in close quarters, even when heal spec. (It's not OP because you can't do everything at the same time, lol.) But it gives combat a fresh, improvised feel that I haven't gotten with any of the other classes.

I remember back in Vanilla WoW when warlocks had the "firestone" that you could put in your offhand to do additional elemental dmg to melee dagger attacks. I'd thought a flaming dagger was such a cool alternative to wands, especially because having a tanking pet meant I didn't have to kite. I was really disappointed that they just sorta threw it in there without making it an actual option, and then eventually removed it. I felt so cookiecutter. :(

Edited by Stenrik

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I have a solution for us sages/sorcs out there who would like to see more use of the lightsaber in combat.

In the Seer tree there is skill you can pick up called humility which works with force stun. After a target has been stunned they suffer humility which reduces dmg dealt by 25%. This ability to debuff an enemy or regular add in a fight could be switched to double strike. HUmility could be triggered with the lightsaber on a target that is within range.

This could work in pvp for instances where a marauder or juggernaut is up close to you burning you. you could wack em with your saber and run away, As you would normally do. This small change could add a better feel to being a jedi or sith, since using the saber is and always has been a key aspect of every jedi/sith that wields one.

Just give it a limit on how often it can be used. Like one of those abilities that can only be procc'd every so often. a 20 second CD on that effect would be perfectly balanced and solve some of those in your face moments you can do little about.

As a healer, I will fight tooth and nail to prevent giving you any valid reason whatsoever to be up in melee range swinging that stupid stat stick around. You take enough damage already without making it worse. Edited by Caelrie

I couldn't agree more. I have a lvl 50 sith sorc and haven't had my saber attacks on a quick bar since I was very low level. It's rather disappointing :(

If you go "Sage" (or Sorc) then you are a caster. Your saber is a stat stick, and perhaps a glowrod for use in dark places. Using it for melee will just result in self-inflicted injury on yourself. :)

Edited by Andryah

And I still say that was a wrong decision by BioWare.

Every Jedi (not sure about the Sith) is trained to use the lightsaber in combat and this should have been reflected in all of the class choices. Unfortunately BioWare decided to turn sages into your stereotypical fantasy wizard/priest type (ranged caster).

It would have been nice if they had allowed us more saber attacks via one of the skill trees.

When you can ravage and devour an opponent with force attacks alone.. and from range... why on earth would you want to take time to walk up and whack them with a saber????

You had a choice of which advance class to take the Consular.. if you went Sage.. you made your choice.

If you wanted to use melee as your specialization.... Consular was the wrong choice of base class to begin with. 2 Minutes of advance research before rolling your character would disclose this fact to you.

Edited by Andryah

As a healer, I will fight tooth and nail to prevent giving you any valid reason whatsoever to be up in melee range swinging that stupid stat stick around. You take enough damage already without making it worse.

True. A cloth wearing healer has no business within 30 yards of a fight. Nor does a cloth wearing ranged attacker.

When you can ravage and devour an opponent with force attacks alone.. and from range... why on earth would you want to take time to walk up and whack them with a saber????

Because nothing ever gets within melee range of you, ever.

True. A cloth wearing healer has no business within 30 yards of a fight. Nor does a cloth wearing ranged attacker.

You don't PvP much, do you?

Add me to the list of "would love for saber attacks to remain even marginally useful/viable."

Edited by Sarielle

Because nothing ever gets within melee range of you, ever.

You don't PvP much, do you?

Add me to the list of "would love for saber attacks to remain even marginally useful/viable."

As a class, you have abilities to mitigate an aggressor closing to melee range, as do all ranged classes. Learn to use it.

As for PvP.... PvP is a team sport and you have those same melee range mitigation abilities for when you are caught alone. As a ranged healer or damage dealer.. if you or your team allow you to be melee'ed.. you deserve to die. Learn to PvP IMO.

As a class, you have abilities to mitigate an aggressor closing to melee range, as do all ranged classes. Learn to use it.

As for PvP.... PvP is a team sport and you have those same melee range mitigation abilities for when you are caught alone. As a ranged healer or damage dealer.. if you or your team allow you to be melee'ed.. you deserve to die. Learn to PvP IMO.

So ... you don't PvP much. I gotcha.

Even if your melee skills were "buffed", (Your TWO melee skills) you'd never use them. I can literally think of no spec that would want to use double-strike/auto attack over anything else.

If you really want to get out of melee range then you aren't abusing the metric ton of CC sages have.

If you really want to get into the "lore" then realize that your sage IS trained to use a saber, it's just that he's so proficient with the force he doesn't need to.

Edited by Fluffyburrito