Why did BioWare have to kill Revan's legacy

ProphetKrieg

1. I think that Reven is still alive. If a character's death is ambiguous, odds are they're still alive.

2. When did he himself say that he was going to commit genocide? The only thing I got was that he was going to use his army to defeat the Empire once and for all. That doesn't always mean genocide. Wasn't that just HK-47 exaggerating things again. Talking about killing organics in large numbers is kind of his thing, even when your characters in Kotor 1 and 2 are lightsiders.

No. HK-47 specifically said their weapons were designed with the intent to kill everyone with Sith (species) genetic material in them. And specified that was... 97(?)% of the Empire's citizens. He didn't just say "We're going to wipe out the Empire", he gave very specific pieces of information.

Edited by Darth_Vicente

just because he pops into force lightning doesn't necessarily mean he's dead, go on the mmo story way of thinking: If there's not a body to loot, they didn't die.

I killed Kel'Thuzad in Naxx40. I looted his dead body. He was around again in Northrend. Just sayin. Theres always a way to ressurect someone. Even if it bends the lore in a way that hurts. If you want to, you can ressurect everyone as a game designer. No matter if he was dead before or not. But as said before: revan didn't die. There was no dead body. I somehow expect we didn't see the last of him in the foundry.

1. I think that Reven is still alive. If a character's death is ambiguous, odds are they're still alive.

I agree. Ambiguous "deaths" like those of Boba Fett, Darth Maul, The Joker on numerous occasions, etc. usually means they're still alive. Just because they were supposedly on something that went "boom" or got thrown out a window or down a vent or Sarlacc pit, doesn't mean they're dead. Come to think of it, Mace Windu may have just survived....

SWTOR took a huge steaming dump on KOTOR fans with the Foundry flashpoint.

It really is a piss poor end to the KOTOR story that Rev' goes down like a genocidal punk. They could have done so much more with the Revan legacy; he was the first Jedi to walk both paths I.E. the first Grey Jedi.

Deeply concerned about future story if this is the kind of crap they're going to pull to conclude a successful and well loved character and story-line.

Not nearly as bad as what they did with Surik in the Revan novel, outright ignored almost everything confirmed about her just to make her look like a Padawan compared to Revan.

Then she gets killed in the most unceremonious way.

That was basically Drew taking a massive piss all over KotOR II and the Exile's characters whilst saying to Avellone "Hey, take your game and character and shove it up your *** because I am an immature jealous *****."

No way he's dead, letting us ourselves be the end of Revan is an interesting thought, but canonwise to not even know the name of his killer would be ridiculous. No absolute way is he dead yet, after all, when I did Foundry, I don't remember his bar hitting 0. He dissappeared in that flash of light. I'm sure he's still alive.

It really is a piss poor end to the KOTOR story that Rev' goes down like a genocidal punk. They could have done so much more with the Revan legacy; he was the first Jedi to walk both paths I.E. the first Grey Jedi.

Deeply concerned about future story if this is the kind of crap they're going to pull to conclude a successful and well loved character and story-line.

Yes it's always a terrible ending when the creators of the story don't run it by you beforehand because OBVIOUSLY you know what the characters would do better than the creator would.

:rolleyes:

• 11 months later...
I am a huge Revan fan and I did not like where Bioware went with his story in SWTOR. I am not overly upset by it though. I just pretend that the Foundry and the other stuff with Revan and the Exile in SWTOR never happened.

I am a huge Revan fan and I did not like where Bioware went with his story in SWTOR. I am not overly upset by it though. I just pretend that the Foundry and the other stuff with Revan and the Exile in SWTOR never happened.

I'm fine with that, as long as we don't have to hear about him....ever again in TOR. It's been 300 years, do they really feel the need to keep flogging a character who should be long dead for ideas?

The Revanite quest line is the least interesting part of Dromund Kaas for me. The best part of the Foundry is the possibility that I finally put Revan out of his misery. :p

I'm fine with that, as long as we don't have to hear about him....ever again in TOR. It's been 300 years, do they really feel the need to keep flogging a character who should be long dead for ideas?

The Revanite quest line is the least interesting part of Dromund Kaas for me. The best part of the Foundry is the possibility that I finally put Revan out of his misery. :p

^^ This x1000.

Revan wasn't anything special... He was a mediocre character with no real character, same with Meetra Surik, until the Revan novel. By that time he'd been built way beyond what he really was. I was more than happy to put him down like a rabid dog.

I do agree with others, I was impressed that they made Revan something of a tragic character rather than keep using him as a saviour. He strayed towards the Dark Side, and from that point on, it really did dominate his destiny. Everything he ever did throughout his life, from the point at which he first went to fight the Mandalorians onward, went wrong in terrible ways. And although he had the best of intentions, he was never at peace with himself from then on. Trying to find some middle ground between serenity and discord left him very confused. He tried to take the galaxy's burdens onto himself, and they were just too much for one man. He was left running around trying to find some way to fix everything, and went a bit crazy because of it.

That's a pretty chilling story to tell, because Revan was us, at one point. It's surprisingly true to the original Star Wars, because it's exactly what Yoda warns Luke about. You don't have to have a desire to do evil in order to fall to the Dark Side - sometimes, all it takes is to try and do too much without stopping, taking a breath, and thinking things through.

i would say the same thing about Darth Malgus, really!

because every time i did the foundry or

The False Emperor

it just grief me to kill the two great figures. i really hope they give us the choice to avoid killing those boss in anyway.

Meh, I've had this discussion with friends before - and the general consensus was, yes, it sucks big time what they did with Revan... I absolutely hate how they've basically ruined the ending you played to reach, no matter what option you picked (though I also saw the Light Side one as the logical choice for canon)....

They basically had to jump on the bandwagon of "Happy Endings are SOOOO 90's! Lets get with the times and screw them all over in the end!" - I originally blamed Obsidian Entertainment for it when KOTOR 2 revealed how Revan vanished into unknown space, leaving Bastila and their (unborn) child by themselves, but there's a very good chance it was all Drew Karpyshyn's doing, or Lucas Arts... it's probably one of those things we'll never know.

EDIT: Maybe I'll feel better after doing the Republic side, but in my opinion the character should've been retired to the sands of time with the original KOTOR.

Edited by Callaron

i would say the same thing about Darth Malgus, really!

because every time i did the foundry or

The False Emperor

it just grief me to kill the two great figures. i really hope they give us the choice to avoid killing those boss in anyway.

I never felt bad about Malgus, just stupid... since his philosophies are much closer to my own character's than the rest of the Sith's.

He sees the incredible flaws that will be the Empire's downfall, like the xenophobia that reigns in the Empire.

Of course that means he HAS to die, because the dark side can't be allowed to win. :p

Edited by Callaron

• 5 months later...

Revan isn't dead.No body to loot :p but also Drew Karpyshyn said that there is no proof of his death.

My only complaint is why is this a FP for such low lvl and not lvl 50-55 (55 is DLC so I could understand that but 50 is no excuse) as a character like that would not be so weak to be done solo.(If it was lvl 50 he would not have been able to be soloed [Reason I say solo is cuz I've seen a video on YT where lvl 46 I beleve soloes him])

Revan isn't dead.No body to loot :p but also Drew Karpyshyn said that there is no proof of his death.

My only complaint is why is this a FP for such low lvl and not lvl 50-55 (55 is DLC so I could understand that but 50 is no excuse) as a character like that would not be so weak to be done solo.(If it was lvl 50 he would not have been able to be soloed [Reason I say solo is cuz I've seen a video on YT where lvl 46 I beleve soloes him])

Game Mechanics =/= What happened.

Levels do not exist, we think of it as when their Story is at... And by the end of chapter 1 each character has done Incredible things. it's a feat that it took all 4 to take him down.

Also, they ruined Meetra Surik (The Exile) Not Revan. Get it right :/

Game Mechanics =/= What happened.

Levels do not exist, we think of it as when their Story is at... And by the end of chapter 1 each character has done Incredible things. it's a feat that it took all 4 to take him down.

Also, they ruined The Exile Not Revan. Get it right :/

Fixed that for you. There is no Meetra Surik, only The Exile.

• 2 weeks later...

Has it not occurred to anyone that the Emperor;s "act of genocide required for me to become God" thing coincides well with Revan's "commit genocide" thing. The Emperor manipulates Revan into a weak madman - and I like Bioware for doing that to show that they are not afraid to destroy their greatest characters (though a better send off would have been acceptable, maybe in the future)

Also remember the rule of Star Wars: "If there is no body, they aren't really dead"

• 2 weeks later...
Regardless, I thought that BioWares "effort" to keep a legend alive were rather... piss poor. This game shouldn't have had him in it imo. :p

Seconding this. The whole Revan + emperor thing just so we could have him here after all these centuries was too far-fetched.

In any case, good stories should come to an end.

Bioware did nothing to Revan's Legacy. Of course, that all depends on what you believe Revan's legacy is.

To me, Revan's legacy is the post-Ruusan Sith. Revan was the one that inspired the Rule of Two. Despite his redemption, torture, semi-fall and whatever else we might see later on in the MMO, it was Revan who inspired Bane to destroy the Brothehood of Darkness and install a new Sith order.

He may have saved the Republic at Rakata Prime, but it is because of him that the Republic ultimately falls almost 4000 years later.

Overrated character to start with.

I'm completely fine with him dying. Maybe it would have made more sense to have Boarding Party and Foundry as level 50 Flashpoints (so they take place after the main stories are finished), but otherwise there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Get over it.