Kaggath Heats: General Grievous vs Mandalore the Ultimate

Beniboybling

“No game of dejarik can be won without pawns...”

Round 1: General Grievous vs Mandalore the Ultimate

Welcome to the opening heat of the ‘Kaggath Tournament’. A competition pitting the power bases of the iconic Star Wars characters seen in the ‘Kaggath vs Series’ against each other in an epic tournament-style extravaganza.

For all those of you aren’t aware, the Kaggath is an ancient rite of the Sith, ‘one part duel, one part large-scale dejarik-match’. The two combatants have full use of their power bases, be it armies, strongholds or fleets, in order to outwit and outmanoeuvre their opponent. The Kaggath is no simple lightsaber duel, although it can come down to one, and the arena can be anywhere: a planet, star system or the entire galaxy.

Before we begin, let’s set out the ground rules for the Heats.

• The arena: the known galaxy.
  • No outside help of any kind, the combatants cannot call upon assets outside their power base, or other prominent powers apart from those listed below i.e. Dooku, Canderous Ordo.
  • No outside involvement, other powers will not and cannot interrupt or affect the battle, for the purpose of argument they are non-existent.
  • No surrender, fight to the death!
  • No superweapons, e.g. the Malevolence.
  • Technology level is universal (unless considered archaic or advanced at the time): blaster fire, armouring, lightsabers etc. are all the same regardless of period, all that matters is size, quantity and power.
  • Use your imagination: obviously these powers existed in a different time frame but let’s just pretend.

Permitted Allies:

General Grievous: Asajj Ventress

Mandalore the Ultimate: Cassus Fett

So, the combatants: Mandalore the Ultimate was a powerful, visionary leader and brazen strategist who would go to any means to win. While General Grievous was a brilliant, brutal tactician and exemplary lightsaber duelist.

Grievous had command of the Separatist Droid Armies, while Mandalore the Ultimate commanded a vast legion of Neo-Crusaders. Both had vast and powerful armadas at their disposal, but who will win?

Let the Kaggath begin!

Edited by Beniboybling

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have something to say:

Taken from the SWTOR Encyclopedia, published in 2012:

"But perhaps the most famous aspect of Mandalorian armor is its resistance to lightsabers, thanks to the special properties of the unique iron used in the armor's construction. Known as Beskar in their native language...."

So do Mandalorians get Beskar? Well, the newest source for SWTOR says so. If SWTOR mandos had it, obviously Mandalore the Ultimate had it as well.

It continues:

"....this metal is exceptionally durable for its weight, though only a select few Mandalorian craftsmen know how to to work the metal to maximum efficiency."

It stands to reason that these advanced armor makers died out by the later years (AKA: The Clone Wars) and that is why we see the difference.

EDIT: However, as seen from the Usage section of this Wookeepedia article, it was only used in full suits very rarely. Usually, it was employed in gloves or smaller pieces of armor that are used less.

So not every Mandalorian would have Beskar Armor.

I also cannot find proof that Neo-crusaders used Beskar at all.

What does this mean?

1. Certain Mandos might have an occasional defensive advantage

2. Mandalore (who we assume has full Beskar) can face Grevious and not auto-lose

And just so y'all know, I'm siding with Grievous on this one. Just wanted to even the playing feild for Mandalore. :D

Edited by Warren-Stride

Methinks Greivous wins.

I would compare the Mandos army to the Clone army, only there aren't nearly as many Mandos as there are clones. That's a problem for MtU. The clones were barely able to beat the droids, even with the help of the Jedi. This spells a victory for Greivous.

The only thing (I can think of) that MtU really has that the clones didn't is Basilisk War Droids. They're definately a factor.

In the end I believe that Greivious will eventually overwelm MtU. Sad. I would much prefer MtU to win this battle. I am one of those people who cannot stand the B1 battle droids and I think their effectiveness is nearly zero. But canon says that these pathetic droids nearly beat the clones. With that in mind, I feel that they will beat MtU. Suckage.

I have something to say:

Taken from the SWTOR Encyclopedia, published in 2012:

"But perhaps the most famous aspect of Mandalorian armor is its resistance to lightsabers, thanks to the special properties of the unique iron used in the armor's construction. Known as Beskar in their native language...."

So do Mandalorians get Beskar? Well, the newest source for SWTOR says so. If SWTOR mandos had it, obviously Mandalore the Ultimate had it as well.

It continues:

"....this metal is exceptionally durable for its weight, though only a select few Mandalorian craftsmen know how to to work the metal to maximum efficiency."

It stands to reason that these advanced armor makers died out by the later years (AKA: The Clone Wars) and that is why we see the difference.

EDIT: However, as seen from the Usage section of this Wookeepedia article, it was only used in full suits very rarely. Usually, it was employed in gloves or smaller pieces of armor that are used less.

So not every Mandalorian would have Beskar Armor.

I also cannot find proof that Neo-crusaders used Beskar at all.

What does this mean?

1. Certain Mandos might have an occasional defensive advantage

2. Mandalore (who we assume has full Beskar) can face Grevious and not auto-lose

And just so y'all know, I'm siding with Grievous on this one. Just wanted to even the playing feild for Mandalore. :D

Very informative, I think this will be K-Canon in our approach to Mandalorian iron. And there is actually proof that Neo-Crusaders used Beskar. See here. In physical and technical specifications it lists structure as Mandalorian Iron. The source of this is most likely an anonymous Neo-Crusader from KOTOR or KOTOR 2 boasting about his beskar, I seem to recall that. So we can assume that Neo-Crusader armour was reinforced with beskar at least.

Methinks Greivous wins.

I would compare the Mandos army to the Clone army, only there aren't nearly as many Mandos as there are clones. That's a problem for MtU. The clones were barely able to beat the droids, even with the help of the Jedi. This spells a victory for Greivous.

The only thing (I can think of) that MtU really has that the clones didn't is Basilisk War Droids. They're definately a factor.

In the end I believe that Greivious will eventually overwelm MtU. Sad. I would much prefer MtU to win this battle. I am one of those people who cannot stand the B1 battle droids and I think their effectiveness is nearly zero. But canon says that these pathetic droids nearly beat the clones. With that in mind, I feel that they will beat MtU. Suckage.

B1 battle droids kinda suck. But Super Battle Droids, Magnaguards, Commando droids and Droidekas rule :D

Remember though:

The CIS were strong enough to challenge the Republic, however they were pretty much on the back foot for most of the Clone Wars which lasted only 3 years. But the Republic had the best defenses of any Republic era, the Grand Army of the Republic, as well as a formidable Republic navy.

The Mandalorians were also strong enough to challenge the Republic and in the first stages of the war where far more successful than the CIS ever were in the swift conquest of the Outer Rim. However once the Revanchists got involved, which was not even the full Force on the Jedi Order, they began to lose. However the Mandalorians managed to hold their own against the Republic for 16 years. However the Republic Navy and Army was not as effective as it was during the Clone Wars.

Just something to consider.

Edited by Beniboybling

Very informative, I think this will be K-Canon in our approach to Mandalorian iron. And there is actually proof that Neo-Crusaders used Beskar. See here. In physical and technical specifications it lists structure as Mandalorian Iron. The source of this is most likely an anonymous Neo-Crusader from KOTOR or KOTOR 2 boasting about his beskar, I seem to recall that. So we can assume that Neo-Crusader armour was reinforced with beskar at least.

Apparently, according to Wookieepedia, the neo-crusader armor had a "harder surface" than the normal crusaders. So we can assume that the bulk of the mandalorian (neo-crusader) armor was not actually Beskar, but another metal.

HOWEVER: The reason Beskar matters here is because Mandalore undoubtedly has a full set. And that makes him hard to kill.

B1 battle droids kinda suck. But Super Battle Droids, Magnaguards, Commando droids and Droidekas rule :D

Remember though:

The CIS were strong enough to challenge the Republic, however they were pretty much on the back foot for most of the Clone Wars which lasted only 3 years. But the Republic had the best defenses of any Republic era, the Grand Army of the Republic, as well as a formidable Republic navy.

The Mandalorians were also strong enough to challenge the Republic and in the first stages of the war where far more successful than the CIS ever were in the swift conquest of the Outer Rim. However once the Revanchists got involved, which was not even the full Force on the Jedi Order, they began to lose. However the Mandalorians managed to hold their own against the Republic for 16 years. However the Republic Navy and Army was not as effective as it was during the Clone Wars.

Just something to consider.

Saying that the Mandalorians were more swift in their conquering of the outer rim doesn't make any sense. Planets joined the CIS instantly once they declared independence. Also, this map shows that they controlled a good chunk of the galaxy, as you said, in under three years.

Saying that the Mandalorians held out for 16 years isn't exactly fair, considering the CIS lost instantly when their leaders were killed by Darth Vader. We have no idea how long they would have gone on.

Methinks Greivous wins.

^ This.

Jango Fett was a mandalorian. The Clones were.... clones of him. If we assume that Jango Fett was an average Mandalorian, or that his clones were average Mandalorians, Grievous will win. And that's being generous, considering the fact that clones were supposed to be trained soldiers from day one, 24/7.

Grievous wins by what he should always win by: sheer numbers.

I'm waiting for the quality over quantity argument to be made, but I don't see how it can.

a. The lack of full body Beskar (on foot-troops) takes away defensive advantage

b. The Mandalorians as a whole are undoubtably weaker than the Clone Army, which the CIS put up a fight against

I feel like I'm clogging this thread, but I gotta get all my arguments in before I leave on vacation! Sorry! :D

1.)You can make more droids. (See thousands of worlds allied)

You can't make more Mandos. (See elitest nature and need of lifetime of training.... and being born.)

2.) When end-game comes, I have the feeling Grievous and Assajj and Magma Guards will team up to take on Mandalore. He's probably either

a. Too honorable to call for help

b. The only survivor/ no one -can- help him.

He won't be a match for the two of them and the droids. Beskar might be immune to lightsabers, but not the Force. Or zap-rod things.

3.) I doubt Cassus Fett can do anything for Mandalore other than command the army. Grievous is already a master stragegist, so it's not like it's tactics vs. none.

I feel like I'm clogging this thread, but I gotta get all my arguments in before I leave on vacation! Sorry! :D

1.)You can make more droids. (See thousands of worlds allied)

You can't make more Mandos. (See elitest nature and need of lifetime of training.... and being born.)

2.) When end-game comes, I have the feeling Grievous and Assajj and Magma Guards will team up to take on Mandalore. He's probably either

a. Too honorable to call for help

b. The only survivor/ no one -can- help him.

He won't be a match for the two of them and the droids. Beskar might be immune to lightsabers, but not the Force. Or zap-rod things.

3.) I doubt Cassus Fett can do anything for Mandalore other than command the army. Grievous is already a master stragegist, so it's not like it's tactics vs. none.

You make good points, I'll leave others to counter them. Hope you have a nice holiday by the way, hopefully you'll be back in time for G0-T0 vs Tyber Zaan!

You make good points, I'll leave others to counter them. Hope you have a nice holiday by the way, hopefully you'll be back in time for G0-T0 vs Tyber Zaan!

I will hopefully have connection in a couple days, so I shouldn't be out of the debate for too long! I get back in a week. Would it be too much to ask to know when that G0-T0 one is coming?

4.) No diversity.

Everybody talk about the Basilisk war droids and how great they are. I agree completely.

However.

Is their another example of a ground vechicle for the Mandos? At this point it seems like all the Mandos have as far as ground troops are

a. Foot Soldiers (w/o Beskar)

b. Basilisk War Droids.

That's kinda weak. The CIS has so much diversity and adaptability in its troops compared to the Mandos.

5.)Just a couple things that could counter Basilisks:

- Hailfire Droids

- This thing

6.) Also, please explain how the Mandalorians plan to kill this thing?

Super Tank ftw.

7.) Assassins

CIS has tons.

- Anzati Assassins

- A-series

- Assassin Probe

Mandos have none.

Ok, ok, I'm getting carried away. :D Sorry, I'm trying to make it up to Grievous and the CIS for letting them lose before.

Edited by Warren-Stride

I will hopefully have connection in a couple days, so I shouldn't be out of the debate for too long! I get back in a week. Would it be too much to ask to know when that G0-T0 one is coming?

4.) No diversity.

Everybody talk about the Basilisk war droids and how great they are. I agree completely.

However.

Is their another example of a ground vechicle for the Mandos? At this point it seems like all the Mandos have as far as ground troops are

a. Foot Soldiers (w/o Beskar)

b. Basilisk War Droids.

That's kinda weak. The CIS has so much diversity and adaptability in its troops compared to the Mandos.

5.)Just a couple things that could counter Basilisks:

- Hailfire Droids

- This thing

6.) Also, please explain how the Mandalorians plan to kill this thing?

Super Tank ftw.

7.) Assassins

CIS has tons.

- Anzati Assassins

- A-series

- Assassin Probe

Mandos have none.

Ok, ok, I'm getting carried away. :D Sorry, I'm trying to make it up to Grievous and the CIS for letting them lose before.

Sure, the CIS has some diversity. But let's not forget that 90% (that's a guess) of Greivous's army is gonna be made up of the B1s.

Taken from Wookieepedia

B1 droids often employed sophisticated tactics in battle. Massed parade ranks or simple swarms were used, and they often displayed a concept of cover.[10] During the Clone Wars, however, there was the inevitable development of wartime, and B1 programming began to show some improvement. Nevertheless, their in-battle reactions were often slow, and such initiative as was shown was slight.[2] General Grievous, the commander of the droid army, hated battle droids for their weakness in comparison to the Republic's clone troopers.

I decided to fight for Mandalore, even though I think Greievous has a better probability to win.

I think Greivous would win a few battles, but he despised the B1's, and Mandolarians are better than clones(right?) If B1's weren't good fighting the the clones, they won't stand a chance for Mandos.

After doing some research on B1's they could do many things, and even fight(and some times succeed) in hand-to-hand combat. But Mandos were trained the day they were born in hand-to-hand combat, and I think they would win.

For the purposes of this tournament and future match-ups, I will take an analytical approach to these battles and decide the victor from there. So let's begin.

Industry: General Grievous is capable of building droids faster than the Mandalorians can kill them, and build fleets faster than Mandalore can. Edge=Grievous

Numbers (Not exact numbers): The Droid Army had numbers in excess of 1 trillion droids, whereas the Mandalorians had (I think) a couple hundred thousand. The Clone Army managed to hold them off due to superior training, Jedi leadership, and having (I think) over 1 billion soldiers. Mandalore doesn't have the numbers that Grievous does. Edge=Grievous.

Troop strength: The majority of the Droid Army was comprised of B1 Battle Droids, but they also had the powerful B2 Battle Droids, experimental B3 Battle Droids(not going to do much I'm afraid), Droideka's, Magnaguards, and the list goes on. Mandalore had the Neo-Crusaders, your average Mandalorian, and Mandalorian Commandos. In terms of Troop Strength: Mandalore will be able to take the B1 Battle Droids pretty easily, but the other droids will pose problems. Mandalore wins here, but numbers are a factor in this category as well.

Troop Adaptability: The CIS can manufacture new droids to handle different conditions very quickly, but Mandalore's troops can adapt almost on the fly. Mandalore wins here (barely).

Vehicles: From what I can tell, Mandalore only has the Basilisk War Droids for his vehicles. General Grievous has far more. He has the AAT, Hailfire Droid, Spider Droids, Dwarf Spider Droids, Armored Tank Droids (the snail looking tanks in ROTS), Droid gunships, and the list continues. The AAT, Hailfire Droid, Spider Droid, and Droid Gunship can all take out Basilisks. Edge: Grievous.

Fleet numbers: The CIS fleets were able to hold off the Republic Navy (powered by the monster Kuat Drive Yards) for three years, whereas Mandalore was able to conquer much of Republic space. However, Mandalore didn't face the production capabilities of the Republic that Grievous did. Not to mention that CIS shipyards were making their own fleets very quickly. Edge=Grievous.

Fleet Firepower: Mandalore's fleets faced relics of the Republic, never truly testing themselves against powerful ships like the Interdictor-class capital ship. General Grievous consistently defeated the powerful Venator-class Star Destroyers and other powerful ships in space combat. Edge=Grievous.

Tacticians: Mandalore and Cassus Fett employed a strategy that allowed them to pick the Republic apart piece by piece, whereas Grievous was able to defeat the Republic forces on several fronts and hold off her massive military power. I'm gonna say that they tie here.

One on one: Mandalore may be a skilled warrior, but he doesn't have the same skills that Obi-Wan Kenobi, Kit Fisto and other powerful Jedi have. Grievous' four lightsabers win the day here. Note that Grievous could just send Ventress to kill Mandalore as well, and she could kill him. Edge=Grievous

Overall, Mandalore will be able to drag out the battle, but he won't last against the overwhelming numbers and firepower of the CIS forces. Grievous wins.

Side-topic: Beni, you should have Jan Dodonna in a future match-up. Seriously, he's like the Sun Tzu of Star Wars.

Tyber Zann vs G0-T0 will be the Round 3 of the Heats. And you make very good points, Grievous holds all the guards. However all Mandalore has to do to win is kill Grievous... which at least if he managed to get a 1v1 engagement is definitely possible.

But the only way Mandalore would get a 1v1 engagement is by destroying Grievous's army. Which won't happen.

I think this will end in one of three ways. All favor for Grievous.

1.) The war plays out and Grievous wins. He finds Mandalore and just kills him with his army and/or blowing up where ever he is.

2.) Mandalore is killed by an assassin. This is a bit of a strech, but it's needs to be said that Mandalorians aren't the kind for hiding and playing under-handed like assassins. The CIS, on the other hand, is. There will at least be attempts.

3.) 1v >2 I think it goes without saying, from what we know of Grievous, that he will not go 1v1. He would only do that as a last ditch attmpt. But he's not going to need to take those drastic measures. He will, instead, save Ventress to deal with Mandalore. Grievous + Ventress + Magma guards. Or at least Grievous's MagmaGuards. He always has those things with him.

Mandalore is a great warrior, and he's proven himself in combat. Unfortunately, he has only ever been challenged by single opponents. Overwhelming enemies, the Force, and his sense of honor would doom Maqndalore in a fight against Grievous and his guards.

I'm curious though. If they did go 1v1, what gives you the impression that Mandalore would win?

We are talking about the same Grievous, right? :D

The Clone Army was growth-accelerated, which means while the trained 24/7, they didn't have the years of experience the Mandalorians had, meaning the Mandalorians probably had ongoing training almost 3 times longer than the clones. Not to mention Mandalore himself held a duel against Revan, but ultimately lost. If not for the interference of Revan and his Jedi, the Mandalorians would've destroyed the Republic. Revan had many Jedi backing him, while the CIS (in this case) had Grievous (a four-armed lightsaber duelist and master strategist, but not Force-sensitive) and Assaj Ventress (a deadly Force-sensitive, lightsaber-weilding assassin). While both are deadly, Mandalore the Ultimate was a profficient duelist and Cassus Fett was a renowned strategist.

However, the CIS had more expansive forces, and if Grievous copied what Revan did (use the Mandalorian tactics against the Mandos), he would have a cutting edge against the Mandos. On the other hand, the Mandalorians commandos were supposedly the best in the galaxy, better than the Republic commandos. This would lead to the commandos performing covert ops against the CIS infrastructure. Not to mention the super-commandos, who are an elite variant of the regular Mando commandos. While CIS commando droids are effective, the Mandalorian commandos have an edge due to expansive training of the Mandalorians vs. programming. While programming may be advance, it cannot necessarily replace the hardcore training of the Mandalorians.

While the CIS fleet was quite large and quite strong, the Mandalorians blocked the Hydian Way (which couldn't be broken by the Republic) until a smuggling cartel assisted the Republic in breaking it. Keep in mind that Hylo Visz was a well-experienced pilot and cunning in general. The CIS fleet was strong, but could still be brought down by the Mandalorians cunning tactics. Here's where the Mandalorian commandos come in again. If the commandos can sneak on board the CIS ships, they could destroy the ship without a large threat looming over them.

In a one-on-one between Grievous and Mandalore, while Grievous has four-arms, Mandalore stood up to Revan. This section goes to Grievous due to the fact that he was one of the greatest Jedi hunters ever.

All in all, I'd give it to the Mandalorians due to their extravagent tactics and the factor of the commandos and supercommandos

Not to mention the super-commandos, who are an elite variant of the regular Mando commandos. While CIS commando droids are effective, the Mandalorian commandos have an edge due to expansive training of the Mandalorians vs. programming. While programming may be advance, it cannot necessarily replace the hardcore training of the Mandalorians.

While the CIS fleet was quite large and quite strong, the Mandalorians blocked the Hydian Way (which couldn't be broken by the Republic) until a smuggling cartel assisted the Republic in breaking it. Keep in mind that Hylo Visz was a well-experienced pilot and cunning in general. The CIS fleet was strong, but could still be brought down by the Mandalorians cunning tactics. Here's where the Mandalorian commandos come in again. If the commandos can sneak on board the CIS ships, they could destroy the ship without a large threat looming over them.

All in all, I'd give it to the Mandalorians due to their extravagent tactics and the factor of the commandos and supercommandos

I think people are starting to over-state the importance of special forces. The super-commandos are not going to win the war for Mandalore. They can't destroy one ship at a time or undermine one world's support at a time. There are thousands of both of those.

We have to remember, this is an entire GALAXY. Special Forces do not work as they do on our Earth. The only way tiny Special Forces will make a sizable impact is is they go for the top.

Speaking of cunning tactics.... The CIS was able to make it to Coruscant. What's to stop them from doing the same with Mandalore (the planet)?

(Ok, last post for a couple days! Help me, Grievous supporters!)

Edited by Warren-Stride

Err, quintillions actually, just saying. ;)

Yeah, that's what I meant by 'not exact numbers'. I could have just said a random number, but I was sure on the trillions number.

Anywho, that still puts the edge in Grievous' hands. The Mandalorians just don't have it where it counts. They don't have some of the most powerful Jedi commanding their forces. They don't have billions(again, not sure on that number) of warriors like the Clones. They don't have the production capabilities that the Galactic Republic had at the time of the Clone Wars.

Grievous wins this one.

Edit: Not sure you saw it in my one post, but I would like to see Jan Dodonna in a future battle.

Edited by Aurbere

I feel that almost everything that needs to be said here has been said. The Mandos just don't have the numbers, industry, or Jedi that the Republic had while fighting the CIS. They will lose.

However I'd like to make a point concerning the droid army: look at how what happened at Naboo. Droid armies always have that all-important generator. Once it is down, the army is useless. It can't be TOO hard to shut down a army of droids, after all: a small fighter squad was able to do that. We need to consider if/how Mando strike teams could do such a thing. Regardless, I'm sure this will take an effect on the battle somehow.

Also: if/when these droids are shut down, would it be possible for the Mandos to re-program these droids? I don't know if the Mandos are capable of such a thing, but if they could pull this off, it'd make a difference.

If the Mandos can do what I just suggested then they'll make it an interesting fight, but I'm afraid they'll still lose the war. In the end, it won't be a landslide win for the Greivous, but it won't be close either.

I feel that almost everything that needs to be said here has been said. The Mandos just don't have the numbers, industry, or Jedi that the Republic had while fighting the CIS. They will lose.

However I'd like to make a point concerning the droid army: look at how what happened at Naboo. Droid armies always have that all-important generator. Once it is down, the army is useless. It can't be TOO hard to shut down a army of droids, after all: a small fighter squad was able to do that. We need to consider if/how Mando strike teams could do such a thing. Regardless, I'm sure this will take an effect on the battle somehow.

Also: if/when these droids are shut down, would it be possible for the Mandos to re-program these droids? I don't know if the Mandos are capable of such a thing, but if they could pull this off, it'd make a difference.

If the Mandos can do what I just suggested then they'll make it an interesting fight, but I'm afraid they'll still lose the war. In the end, it won't be a landslide win for the Greivous, but it won't be close either.

This is a good point. As much as I would like to see Mandalore win, I know he won't. But, I figure I'll play devils advocate and help him along so you guys can debate some more:)

Anyway, Mando commandos might/probably be able to take down the program ships, which powered the droids. See Battle of Naboo for details. Also, I think I know what could beat the super tanks....

Bombs/grenades/explosives. Super Tanks have weak undersides, and thus explosive planted in the ground, or tossed under them will destroy the tank. This method was used to destroy 20 of them.

Also, the tanks were experimental. The number is unknown, but the least amount is only 24, and those are the only ones ever recorded in battle.