The Republic - Not quite as nice a group as you'd think!

Remissus

Different motivations actually.

Korriban is a planet that is nothing but basically terrorists in the making. That's what Korriban is, a planet who's sole purpose is to turn people into psychotic sociopaths. They even say, if you plan to survive on Korriban, you can't give into the lightside.

So you're thought is, spare some terrorists, and they'll learn from the mass deaths of the others...and...totally...change their ways? o.O

Alderaan was not about "Oh, planet full of enemies" Alderaan's destruction was all about "Show the galaxy we can eliminate a whole planet, and the rest will fall in line."

One action was "Stop evil" the other was "Show off our power"

They even state as much in the movie, "Dantoine is far to remote to be a proper demonstration." (I know I'm remembering the line wrong)

But yes, removing the Sith and those who would house/hide them? Tends to be a good call, when you want to eliminate a great evil.

Reconciliation? Not everyone on the Sith planets are psychotic killers, many are simple peasants, some are children. These people can be saved. Rather than leaving them on Korriban or simply killing them they could have tried to assimilate the people into their own nation, like the Romans did to many of the countries they conquered. Let's also remember that Korriban was not the only planet to be wiped clean, other Sith worlds were targeted as well.

Your also making the assumption that Korriban is just a Sith Academy with a graveyard. Its not, there are settlements and civilizations with people just as normal as those we encounter on Dromund Kaas. Devoted to the Sith yes, but not beyond saving, and certainly not evil.

What they did would be the same as the TOR Republic after defeating the Sith Empire, invading Dromund Kaas and Ziost and exterminating everyone and raising buildings to the ground. Would that be acceptable?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reconciliation? Not everyone on the Sith planets are psychotic killers, many are simple peasants, some are children. These people can be saved. Rather than leaving them on Korriban or simply killing them they could have tried to assimilate the people into their own nation, like the Romans did to many of the countries they conquered. Let's also remember that Korriban was not the only planet to be wiped clean, other Sith worlds were targeted as well.

Your also making the assumption that Korriban is just a Sith Academy with a graveyard. Its not, there are settlements and civilizations with people just as normal as those we encounter on Dromund Kaas. Devoted to the Sith yes, but not beyond saving, and certainly not evil.

What they did would be the same as the TOR Republic after defeating the Sith Empire, invading Dromund Kaas and Ziost and exterminating everyone and raising buildings to the ground. Would that be acceptable?

Yes. Because there's never anyone in that group you just rescued from evil, who didn't have a family member who was evil, and decides, "I don't care if he/she was evil, that was my mom/dad/sister/brother/grandma/grandpa, and I want revenge."

Yes. Because there's never anyone in that group you just rescued from evil, who didn't have a family member who was evil, and decides, "I don't care if he/she was evil, that was my mom/dad/sister/brother/grandma/grandpa, and I want revenge."
So we just butcher them all, because at some point in the distant future them may or may not rebel? That seems a very narrow minded approach. Edited by Beniboybling

The problem I have with the Republic and by extension most any generalist 'good guy' faction in storytelling is that if they are not written in an idealized way - if there's any humanity to them at all - then these factions are rife with the likes of injustice and savagery anyway, but at the same time they tend to overtly purport to represent some kind of moral good, or "the light".

So the narrative distinction that I draw between a faction like the Republic and a faction like the Empire is that the former condescends to the reader by misrepresenting their nature, whereas the latter does not. That the absence of this lie itself yields worse behavior is just one of those moralist's fallacies that writers love.

Edited by Laiov

So we just butcher them all, because at some point in the distant future them may or may not rebel? That seems a very narrow minded approach.

Well, let's look at this quote...

"No game of dejarik can be won without pawns... and this may prove to be a very long game." ~ Kreia

...guess who the pawns are in this game of good vs evil. And what happens when a pawn reaches the other side of the board?

Now yes, I'm just over-simplifying it, but this is a work of fiction with little in the way of real world similarities.

In the Star Wars universe, one can go on a few mass murdering sprees, then be redeemed by getting rid of one person (Anakin shows us as much).

All that said, I wouldn't say "may or may not" but rather "will and no doubt" Why? Because it's their culture, and there are going to be those who don't want to adapt to a new culture.

Well, let's look at this quote...

"No game of dejarik can be won without pawns... and this may prove to be a very long game." ~ Kreia

...guess who the pawns are in this game of good vs evil. And what happens when a pawn reaches the other side of the board?

Now yes, I'm just over-simplifying it, but this is a work of fiction with little in the way of real world similarities.

In the Star Wars universe, one can go on a few mass murdering sprees, then be redeemed by getting rid of one person (Anakin shows us as much).

All that said, I wouldn't say "may or may not" but rather "will and no doubt" Why? Because it's their culture, and there are going to be those who don't want to adapt to a new culture.

'It is a far greater victory to make another see through your eyes than to close theirs forever.' ~ Kreia.

It is in their culture to be barbaric and warlike and they may very well seek revenge, but cultures can be changed and those oppressed by the Sith may be more than willing to change it and those not tainted by the dark side (i.e. non-Force users) and not members of the military are more likely to give up their traditions for a potentially better lifestyle.

Showing mercy would make them more inclined to look favorably upon the Republic, while slaughtering them in a ruthless act of genocide is only going to cause those who inevitably slip through the cracks seek revenge i.e. the resurgent Sith Empire.

'It is a far greater victory to make another see through your eyes than to close theirs forever.' ~ Kreia.

It is in their culture to be barbaric and warlike and they may very well seek revenge, but cultures can be changed and those oppressed by the Sith may be more than willing to change it and those not tainted by the dark side (i.e. non-Force users) and not members of the military are more likely to give up their traditions for a potentially better lifestyle.

Showing mercy would make them more inclined to look favorably upon the Republic, while slaughtering them in a ruthless act of genocide is only going to cause those who inevitably slip through the cracks seek revenge i.e. the resurgent Sith Empire.

So, either way, they're screwed!