pvp lvling

gimpcarebear

i have a jedi knight that i have mainly been lvling do quests with some pvp here and their to break the boredom since i'm not much of a pve kinda person.

but i was thinking of making another toon and just doing pvp with it after i hit lvl 10 and was wondering if their was any drawbacks to lvling like this?

im lvling a sorc through pvp, class quest, fps, and what heroics i can get myself into. the one drawback ive seen is that my companion is undergeared so its making my class quest a lot harder than it should be. so far thats the only problem ive run into

It's slightly slower and you won't have enough credits early on if you keep your equipment updated, as you don't get quest rewards that you can actually use. The PVP equipment is fine at the levels you get it, but will need upgrades every once in a while.

Valor rank is also capped at character level below 50, so you will reach a point where you have everything that you can conceivably get out of PVP in the way of rewards, and can no longer level up valor until you level up your character again. If you level up doing only PVP this will happen in the 30ies or earlier and from that point on, you'll only be getting valor during a brief period after a levelup and then it'll be at the cap again.

I tend to disagree with the "slower leveling" bit. I for one, have leveled my chars doing ONLY storyline, and pvp, and i dont feel as if i leveling any slower or faster than my buds who do missions w their toons. id think that for the most part, if folks are saying its slower, its "usually" (not always) that they havent actually tried it themselves.

I tend to disagree with the "slower leveling" bit. I for one, have leveled my chars doing ONLY storyline, and pvp, and i dont feel as if i leveling any slower or faster than my buds who do missions w their toons. id think that for the most part, if folks are saying its slower, its "usually" (not always) that they havent actually tried it themselves.

When I'm saying it, it's coming from someone who has done both. I've leveled my first few characters primarily through quests, but now I'm kind of tired of doing the same planet quests over and over again. Experience from warzones definitely slows down in the 30ies, when literally running through green quests still gets you a level every few hours. Doing all the dailies helps as well if you want to level quickly, space combat alone is a huge chunk of extra experience.

Edited by dannythefool

I exclusively PvP level. It's great fun if you're on an early blooming class and a chore on late blooming classes (until they get necessary skills). Overall, tons of fun, you learn to play your class, and at levels 20 and 40 you shine since your gear is awesome combined with the bolster mechanic. The only downside is late 40's and 30's.

I'd recommend getting armortech/synthweaving on a main to "twink" out your PvP leveler.

When I'm saying it, it's coming from someone who has done both. I've leveled my first few characters primarily through quests, but now I'm kind of tired of doing the same planet quests over and over again. Experience from warzones definitely slows down in the 30ies, when literally running through green quests still gets you a level every few hours. Doing all the dailies helps as well if you want to level quickly, space combat alone is a huge chunk of extra experience.

*sigh*... theres always one...

perhaps u missed the part where i specifically said "usually (not always", hence, what i was saying was not a blanket statement designed to be the end all be all of everyone elses experience. if ur gna (try to) call me out on what im sayin n try to prove me wrong, at least read the entire post first.

what i posted has been MY experience, and MY answer to HIS question.

perhaps u missed the part where i specifically said "usually (not always", hence, what i was saying was not a blanket statement designed to be the end all be all of everyone elses experience. if ur gna (try to) call me out on what im sayin n try to prove me wrong, at least read the entire post first.

I didn't miss it and I wasn't trying to call you out. I just said that a player who has a reasonably good idea of how games in this genre work will level up much faster through PVE.

I leveled my first toon to 50 by doing pretty much every quest available on each planet with a mix of warzones and it definately went faster doing the pve route to its fullest extent and wz's along the way.

Right now I'm leveling an alt by doing strictly warzones and only my class storyline on each planet, which takes very little time if you ignore side quests. The leveling is quite a bit slower, but since I enjoy fighting more than pve, its an acceptable alternative to me.

I guess the only downside is that you are constantly capped on valor, as you can't surpass your character level with regards to valor level. The upside is that you can bank away a ton of warzone medpacks/expertise packs, cap yourself on merc comms, get all of your gear and weapons ahead of time, bank away a champion bag, and be ready for the grind at level 50/valor 50 to start working on your champion and eventual battlemaster gear.

Since I tended to use my comms to buy champion bags on my first toon, it would have been nice to have a ton of the warzone stims banked away.

The other upside is that you get a ton of experience fighting with lesser skills/skill tree, learn from mistakes and hone your rotations along the way, so you're a much more polished player with regards to that class at level 50.

i have a jedi knight that i have mainly been lvling do quests with some pvp here and their to break the boredom since i'm not much of a pve kinda person.

but i was thinking of making another toon and just doing pvp with it after i hit lvl 10 and was wondering if their was any drawbacks to lvling like this?

Viable but not optimal in terms of time spent.

Proffs may be harder/require farming later.

Class quests will be left unfinished untill 50 or be somewhat difficult at the appropriate level because getting gear while leveling in pvp is harder.

A lot of the above can be mitigated by having a level 50 sending your alt gifts or grouping with other players.