Stop forcing PVP on PVE servers

Morden

I know, you don't have to participate in the PVP missions for the Gree event. However, with the limited amount of new content, I would like to be able to take advantage of all of it. There are players who just hang around the PVP area and attack other for NO REASON. I say no reason, because they do not get anything out of it, other than the satisfaction that they wasted someone else's time. They do not get rep; they do not get commendations. There is no reward, just grief. The fact that 95%+ players appear to play nice, and avoid PVP, should tell everyone something. They don't want to engage in useless PVP. They just want to enjoy the content.

There is also an imbalance, since most players are in PVE gear. Those in PVP gear have a significant advantage.

I have cancelled my subscription, and do not plan to renew it any time soon. This is not the first time this issue has been raised, but it apparently has fallen on deaf ears.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The current system is so that PvE players who do not want to play PvP can become flagged ANY TIME by PvP players who wish to play PvP - but never vice versa.

This is the idea of another community member how this can be changed :

Point 1 means that AOE damage should not affect "yellow" enemies - and thus PvE players - anymore.

Point 2 means that PvP flagging should run out after 5 minutes, if the flagged person didn't engage in any PvP action whatsoever.

Point 3 means that one can remove the unwanted PvP flagging by doing something that is against it, by mass healing, for example. That way, the own group could become "re-flagged" into "non-PvP again.

This would be a mirror of the current PvP flagging mechanic.

Ich fass jetzt nochmal meine Vorschläge zusammen, für Redeyes:

Änderung 1: Flächenschaden wirkt nicht mehr auf Gelbe Gegner und damit auch nicht mehr auf andere Spieler solange man nicht markiert ist. (Man müsste sich im PvE nur daran gewöhnen neutrale Mobgruppen einmal vorher anzuschießen, damit sie aggressiv werden. Evtl könnte BioWare aber auch eine Erkennung einbauen, sodass Mobs durch Flächenschaden in der Nähe aggressiv werden und sie daher weiter Schaden nehmen.)

Änderung 2: Die automatische Markierung läuft immer und überall nach 5 Minuten aus, solange man nichts tut, was einen markieren würde.

Änderung 3: Man kann, wenn man selbst nicht markiert ist, die Markierung von Gruppenmitgliedern entfernen, indem man etwas tut (heilen, bewachen), das einen in einem PvP-Kampf markieren würde. Dies würde dazu führen, dass die ganze Gruppe nicht mehr angreifbar wäre und so die Wahrscheinlichkeit verschwindet, dass Feinde die Gruppe in einen PvP-Kampf verwickelt.

Sollte es doch zu einem PvP-Kampf führen, weil ein Gruppenmitglied einen anderen Spieler bewusst angreift, wird man weiterhin genauso markiert wie derzeit.

Das sollte alle derzeitigen Problem für PvEler beheben.

Und es sorgt dafür, dass PvEler und PvPler problemlos eine Gruppe bilden und PvE-Content machen können.

Und ich könnte mich endlich selbst wieder markieren ohne mir Sorgen machen zu müssen, dass es deswegen in der nächsten Gruppe wieder zu Problemen führt.

I share in the concern of the original poster as this recent Gree event has opened doors for players to be annoying or flat out intrusive upon others' gameplay. As pointed out, an unwanted PvP flag may be nullified by 5 minutes of inaction in a rest area. I'd love a quicker option which, to prevent cheap escapes, would still not be overly convenient.

Why not be able to remove a PvP flag at a medical droid belonging to your faction? I've previously likened the PvP flag to a venereal disease - sometimes passed around inadvertently and tough to shake off. Just so that, in the time I've been waiting in a rest area, I could have already been back to the entrance of the section x heroic where the stealthers are likely still hiding.

Ok OP. So you say your quitin because you can't complete a PvP quest without other players engaging you in PvP. Well if you must. Have a good life, I doubt you'll be missed terribly.

What PVP quest?

Far as I seen there is NO PVP mechanics, rewards, elements in the 2 PVE content quests that just happen to take part in the PVP FFA area of Ilum.

Course I could be wrong so please do show me where you gain anything in those quests when you

-attack and kill another player

- get reward that is PVP focused

- anything at all (other then location) that promotes PVP in those 2 quests

Fact is OP is right, those two quests could be in PVE area and work exactly as they currently do, but with out the small minded gankng of the PKer mentality

I mean if EA put actual PVP objective quests in that area, then OP wouldnt have a leg to stand on

But they didnt.

Once again they broke a early promise that they would NEVER force PVE players into PVP situations.

And frankly its just sad you all need to prey on non PVPers to feel important.

Attack each other and quit insulting OP just cause he finds no enjoyment in the activity

OP is 100% right and those 2 quests should NOT take place in PVP FFA Area.

PVP FFA area should have PVP objective quests to complete

Kill this many other players

Have a base to defend or attack

multitude of creative PVP style objectives that get constantly over looked and ignored for Element of Least Resistances design yet again.

What PVP quest?

Far as I seen there is NO PVP mechanics, rewards, elements in the 2 PVE content quests that just happen to take part in the PVP FFA area of Ilum.

Course I could be wrong so please do show me where you gain anything in those quests when you

-attack and kill another player

- get reward that is PVP focused

- anything at all (other then location) that promotes PVP in those 2 quests

Fact is OP is right, those two quests could be in PVE area and work exactly as they currently do, but with out the small minded gankng of the PKer mentality

I mean if EA put actual PVP objective quests in that area, then OP wouldnt have a leg to stand on

But they didnt.

Once again they broke a early promise that they would NEVER force PVE players into PVP situations.

And frankly its just sad you all need to prey on non PVPers to feel important.

Attack each other and quit insulting OP just cause he finds no enjoyment in the activity

OP is 100% right and those 2 quests should NOT take place in PVP FFA Area.

PVP FFA area should have PVP objective quests to complete

Kill this many other players

Have a base to defend or attack

multitude of creative PVP style objectives that get constantly over looked and ignored for Element of Least Resistances design yet again.

I don't know, but I think the dead give away is the "PVP" on the side of the quest for the PVP quests. Tell me if I'm wrong here.

You don't have to have a direct PVP quest to encourage PVP. Taking a node in an instanced PVP match isn't PVP, but you do it. Why? Because it encourages other people to take it from you and therefore PVP!

I wish natural selection was more prevalent in our society.

Killing people like the op and hearing them whine on the forums + general is the funnest thing about the new ilum.

It sounds like you take pleasure in the misery of others.

P.S. The game is just a game, but my time is my time. Its odd that if people are rude/mean in "real life" it is considered bad, but when it is in a game its considered "fun."

Let's turn this the other way round:

Stop forcing PvE on PvP-players.

I am NOT a PvP-player, but your ridiculously small mindset ticks me off to be honest.

I am curious on how my mindset is small? I am not alone in my frustration.

They have PVP servers for PVP-players.

I don't know, but I think the dead give away is the "PVP" on the side of the quest for the PVP quests. Tell me if I'm wrong here.

You don't have to have a direct PVP quest to encourage PVP. Taking a node in an instanced PVP match isn't PVP, but you do it. Why? Because it encourages other people to take it from you and therefore PVP!

I wish natural selection was more prevalent in our society.

My understanding of the reason for having the open PVP missions is about competing for resources/objectives. If this was the case, I could accept that people would compete through PVP. I can accept that the "threat of PVP" is a good motivator for people to stick to lines (think fighting in hockey - enforcers enforcing). Both of these would be reasonable. My gripe is with the PVP, "just because I can" or "just so that you can't complete your objective." Those are the players that just hang around the objective killing people for sport.

I also think that they should include PVP objectives that require PVP. So when players engage in PVP, it is because it is a requirement (to complete) rather than just being a jerk

Ok OP. So you say your quitin because you can't complete a PvP quest without other players engaging you in PvP. Well if you must. Have a good life, I doubt you'll be missed terribly.

It isn't just because of that. My main point was to focus on the lack of a PVP requirement in the so called "PVP" quests which leads to "griefing." If there was PVP required for the missions, then I wouldn't complain about it at all. I would even give them kudos for providing new PVP content for those who enjoy PVP. There is also the added frustration of getting flagged for unknown reasons (not in open PVP area.)

Imagine if you were in line at Mc Donalds. You accidentally make eye contact with someone else in line, and now you have to either engage them in conversation (PVP), or step outside for 5 minutes before returning. Of course, you could just avoid Mc Donalds, but why should you have to?

Before anyone starts pointing out this is just a game, not real life, I'll say it again. "Its each player's time." Whether it is "real life" or "in game."

I know, you don't have to participate in the PVP missions for the Gree event. However, with the limited amount of new content, I would like to be able to take advantage of all of it. There are players who just hang around the PVP area and attack other for NO REASON. I say no reason, because they do not get anything out of it, other than the satisfaction that they wasted someone else's time. They do not get rep; they do not get commendations. There is no reward, just grief. The fact that 95%+ players appear to play nice, and avoid PVP, should tell everyone something. They don't want to engage in useless PVP. They just want to enjoy the content.

There is also an imbalance, since most players are in PVE gear. Those in PVP gear have a significant advantage.

I have cancelled my subscription, and do not plan to renew it any time soon. This is not the first time this issue has been raised, but it apparently has fallen on deaf ears.

The gree event is a PVP event.

ilum is the PVP planet of SWTOR.

So...what's the problem of doing PVP while doing PVP events on a PVP planet?

Edited by Royox

If it is a PvP event, where are the rewards for actual PvP? You don't have to attack, or be attacked, by anyone in order to do the event. I imagine they used that area, for lack of a better area. A lot of otherwise wasted space.

It seems many words have had their official meanings changed lately:

The new definition for "quitting" should be officially changed to "I'm not going to quit but instead I'll just *tell* people I'm going to quit and just keep posting anything I feel I want to whine about".

Another definition that needs changing is "misery", and how we somehow enjoy other peoples' misery. A homeless person or a drug addict, that's misery, and I doubt anyone enjoys it. Getting killed while in an open world FFA area is not misery at all, it's good times.

The last one has to be 'griefing'. Now, no matter what anyone does, if some person doesn't like it it's somehow 'griefing'. All I have to do is win a speeder race to a mineral node in front of someone and it's automatically griefing. Win a roll for the rare pet drop: grieifing. Scavenging materials from all the dead robots laying around: grieifing. I bought that item off the GTN when you wanted it: grieifing.

If you're gonna quit, then quit, nobody cares but you or what you have to say but yourself. So buh-bye and just don't post here again. Do what you say you're gonna do and just quit already.

If this event has taught me anything, it's that people are amazingly reluctant to see the other side's view. PvEers complain that they're getting killed in PvP zones, PvPers complain that people whine about getting killed when they willingly entered a PvP area.

I'm a PvEer. Definitely. And every time I go in that PvP area, I know I can get killed. In fact, given that I'm a n00b in PvP matters, it's pretty much a certainty that, if someone gets the whim, I won't be coming out on top. I just want to go in there and complete my mission. That's all. I don't care about killing other players, I just want to complete my mission. In this case, the heroic; it's easier in the PvP area. If I get attacked, I may fight back, or maybe I'll ignore the other player and let him kill me. When it happens, it happens because I chose to do the mission in the PvP area, rather than in the PvE area. Yes, it's free for all, so it can happen.

Do I believe it should happen? No. That's why you won't find me sitting in that area randomly ganking someone because I think I can get away with it. I believe in respecting others, in letting them achieve their goals so long as their goal isn't interfering with mine.

So, OP, accept that it happens. I understand that you want to complete all the missions, I do too, and it's very unpleasant when someone has the power to interfere with your progress, without any reason other than that it's possible. But in the end, you chose to go into the PvP area.

Anyone else, I'm not excusing ganking. I still disapprove of it, and while I'm not saying all PvP activity should be by appointment, surely there must be better forms of amusement than hanging around in a group and killing lone players, or hanging around in stealth and waiting for players to be involved in PvE combat before attacking so they're easier to kill. Gankers may delude themselves into thinking that sort of behavior is just clever tactics, but it isn't. Playing with the sole goal of causing other players to complain so you can then gloat at them, do you really need that to feel good about yourself?

It seems everyone needs to drop their two cents in, so I guess I'll do the same. What all the people arguing for PVP in this thread seem to keep missing is that we are talking about a PvE server, which by the above person's logic would dictate that there be no PVP at all. For once, just stop and understand that point. It's a PvE server, which is a fundamental choice you make at the beginning of your career on said server. It basically asks you to choose which form of social interaction you want in the game. Since the primary role of a PvE server is to cater to people who are not interested in PvP as an overarching game mechanic, most of your points are invalid. Furthermore, let's discuss what PvP can be about. It either involves 2 sides which are willing to do battle, or one side which does and one that does not. In a PvP server, I guess they both work. I don't know because I've never played on one, and frankly I could care less. But in a PvE server, only the former situation should be allowed, in my opinion. SWTOR achieves this with warzones and duels. WZ rewards players who complete PvP event with PvP gear, with some PvE content that is by no means exclusive. Having open world PvP FFA, again, is not something I like, but I don't mind terribly, because it doesn't take away from my experience in the PvE content that I want on my PvE server, as implemented on Tatooine. This issue has much more relevance when applied to the Gree event. It lasts for 2 weeks, and being restricted from PvE content on a PvE server because of PvP areas allowing ******es to blockade my efforts to complete quests, again on a PvE server, is where I feel the line should be drawn.

I will freely admit that I am not very good at PvP, only occasionaly queue for WZ, and am mad at having to fend off random people attacking me. Not having to deal with ******es like this from preventing my advancement is what made my choice in servers obvious. Sure, the quests are labeled PvP, I'm not blind. But why am I being called foolish for doing the quest, when something as easy as saying I am on a PvE server should clear that up quickly. It's not the fact that people are able to PvP in the zone that's the problem as much as the PvE content being placed in a PvP zone, when we made the choice of selecting a PvE server.

I hope saying PvE server every other sentence drives it into some of the more bull headed people I see arguing this issue that there is indeed a server where PvP is available and encouraged, but the one I and the OP are on is not one of them.

It sounds like you take pleasure in the misery of others.

P.S. The game is just a game, but my time is my time. Its odd that if people are rude/mean in "real life" it is considered bad, but when it is in a game its considered "fun."

Then why are you spending "The time that is your time" participating in a PvP zone when you have no interest in actually doing PvP?

Just seems mad that you'd spend your time doing something you don't enjoy - but then have a go at somebody in the same zone as you doing something they do enjoy - PvP.

Just wanted to throw in here...

So if a PvE server is strictly non PvP then why are there WZ's? Rated at that, which are usually for the extremely dedicated PvPers.

Someone stated that people are killing others for no reason... Here is my reason for wiping a line: I have better **** to do than stand in a line. Some of the lines I have seen the people will blow up before they even make it up to turn in. Everyone is flagged in this area and that means survival of the fittest. The Ancient Gree droid has a long respawn timer why wait and take your chances that someone else downs him and you have to wait even longer? If I have room in my party I will invite if it looks like someone is waiting for it. I play a game to have fun and actually play not stand there and stare at the back of someone's head for the duration of my gametime. I don't go around smoking everything that moves but I will remove a line or take on another guild for the FUN of it.

You only gain a little Rep from the PvP area, if the thought of having to do a little PvP turns you off enough you won't go in. Just like for the PvPers if they don't want to run around and grind the dailies nobody is forcing them to.... But then again they kinda are forced to arent they if they want the Grey Tokens for the Legacy weapons... So who should be complaining?

Just wanted to throw in here...

So if a PvE server is strictly non PvP then why are there WZ's? Rated at that, which are usually for the extremely dedicated PvPers.

Someone stated that people are killing others for no reason... Here is my reason for wiping a line: I have better **** to do than stand in a line. Some of the lines I have seen the people will blow up before they even make it up to turn in. Everyone is flagged in this area and that means survival of the fittest. The Ancient Gree droid has a long respawn timer why wait and take your chances that someone else downs him and you have to wait even longer? If I have room in my party I will invite if it looks like someone is waiting for it. I play a game to have fun and actually play not stand there and stare at the back of someone's head for the duration of my gametime. I don't go around smoking everything that moves but I will remove a line or take on another guild for the FUN of it.

You only gain a little Rep from the PvP area, if the thought of having to do a little PvP turns you off enough you won't go in. Just like for the PvPers if they don't want to run around and grind the dailies nobody is forcing them to.... But then again they kinda are forced to arent they if they want the Grey Tokens for the Legacy weapons... So who should be complaining?

I'm not saying that it's strictly non PvP, just illustrating that the quote I took was not very well constructed. WZ are different from PvE and PvP server restrictions in that open world is what we are talking about. We all have to deal with having to share the same world and by extension same enemies, which will lead to delays. But the point of having a PvE server is to ensure exactly the same behaviour you are talking about is not tolerated. If you want to be able to screw someone else over and speed ahead, I'm sure there's a PvP server that has a spot for you. I thought I said PvE server too many times, but it seems people's eyes glaze over everytime they read it.

Why am I being restricted from accessing PvE content on a PvE server because someone else wants a PvP experience but couldn't pick a server correctly? Again I feel the need to stress that we are talking about a PvE server. For god's sake, keep that in mind when you think about what I'm saying. If you feel that the PvP servers need to be changed so only PvP counts, then by all means, make that suggestion elsewhere. Just keep in mind that I am complaining about PvP for PvE content on a PvE server. Anyone else who can make an argument that keeps that in mind?

Your missing a crucial point here, when you open your quest log and look at the two quests in question here what does it say next to it? (PVP). When you go to this area what flashes in red letters across your screen? Your not missing out on any PVE content by not going in there. All descriptions of these quests clearly state that it is PVP. You guys need to accept that the PVEers got a ton of dailies to do as well as 3 new world bosses. PvPers got 2 daily quests that drop a couple WZ Comms and a little rep.

As for picking the wrong server well people PvP on all servers for a variety of reasons. Some are on them because they have a friend that invited them there, some didn't discover they liked PvP until after they had chosen they're server and others simply have a change in taste.

Instead of requesting a change to an obviously fun place for a lot of people try and be proactive yourself.

A) If people are killing you and your incapable of fighting back switch instances. I highly doubt there will be an organized guild guarding every instance.

B) go in numbers, if you are not in a guild and don't have any friends general chat is teeming with LFG's.

C) quit the game as I guess you already have...

Your missing a crucial point here, when you open your quest log and look at the two quests in question here what does it say next to it? (PVP). When you go to this area what flashes in red letters across your screen? Your not missing out on any PVE content by not going in there. All descriptions of these quests clearly state that it is PVP. You guys need to accept that the PVEers got a ton of dailies to do as well as 3 new world bosses. PvPers got 2 daily quests that drop a couple WZ Comms and a little rep.

As for picking the wrong server well people PvP on all servers for a variety of reasons. Some are on them because they have a friend that invited them there, some didn't discover they liked PvP until after they had chosen they're server and others simply have a change in taste.

Instead of requesting a change to an obviously fun place for a lot of people try and be proactive yourself.

A) If people are killing you and your incapable of fighting back switch instances. I highly doubt there will be an organized guild guarding every instance.

B) go in numbers, if you are not in a guild and don't have any friends general chat is teeming with LFG's.

C) quit the game as I guess you already have...

I guess I'll take each point at a time.

1. I mentioned earlier that I am well aware that the quest says it's PvP. I'm question why it is there on a PvE server while controlling access to PvE content.

2. I disagree that we are not missing content. You need to be atleast Newcomer with the Gree to access missions, and since there is a cap on how much you can get daily, restricting some of it on a PvE server to PvP missions is failed design.

3. If you are bemoaning lack of PvP content on a PvE server, I don't know what to tell you.

4. I could honestly care less why people might decide to PvP, but if you pick the wrong server, you have two options, stick to the server and keep doing the same thing, or switch servers. It's already a concession for PvPers on PvE servers because you have WZ and duels if you feel the need to fight another character, so stop acting like you are being marginalized. Again, I am not arguing against PvP, only against putting quests that have a direct relevance on PvE content in PvP zones.

5. You seem to misunderstand what I am saying. I don't want anyone to stop having fun in Ilum's PvP zone, merely that the quests be relegated to an area where I don't have to fear being ganked. If you want to PvP, that's fine, I just don't want to be forced into that area in order to unlock access to PvE content.

6. While OP may have quit, I am still playing.

It seems many words have had their official meanings changed lately:

The new definition for "quitting" should be officially changed to "I'm not going to quit but instead I'll just *tell* people I'm going to quit and just keep posting anything I feel I want to whine about".

Another definition that needs changing is "misery", and how we somehow enjoy other peoples' misery. A homeless person or a drug addict, that's misery, and I doubt anyone enjoys it. Getting killed while in an open world FFA area is not misery at all, it's good times.

The last one has to be 'griefing'. Now, no matter what anyone does, if some person doesn't like it it's somehow 'griefing'. All I have to do is win a speeder race to a mineral node in front of someone and it's automatically griefing. Win a roll for the rare pet drop: grieifing. Scavenging materials from all the dead robots laying around: grieifing. I bought that item off the GTN when you wanted it: grieifing.

If you're gonna quit, then quit, nobody cares but you or what you have to say but yourself. So buh-bye and just don't post here again. Do what you say you're gonna do and just quit already.

Geee they couldnt be waiting for account time to run out

OPPS, dang it there I go using LOGIC AGAIN

me bad

better I just throw random insults at random posters because they dared to post something I didnt agree with :rolleyes:

I guess I'll take each point at a time.

5. You seem to misunderstand what I am saying. I don't want anyone to stop having fun in Ilum's PvP zone, merely that the quests be relegated to an area where I don't have to fear being ganked. If you want to PvP, that's fine, I just don't want to be forced into that area in order to unlock access to PvE content.

Good lord.

The quest is not a PvE quest. It's a PvP quest. It says so DIRECTLY ON THE QUEST and when you enter the area it flashes up in big red letter that it's PvP content.

If you don't want PVP, then DO THE HEROIC QUEST SOMEWHERE ELSE. There are THREE separate nodes for you to complete the heroic outside of the PvP area. Playing ONE character has given me enough extra rep trophies to get most of the way to Legend in three weeks, after weekly caps are taken into consideration. You have SEVERAL options to unlock the reputation you want - and PvP quests are ONE of the options. I chose to farm worldbosses on multiple instances. Oh - also - I only played for about seven days total of these two weeks due to real life commitments.

If you don't want PvP, STAY OUT OF THE PvP AREA. Nothing - at all - in the game FORCES you to enter that area. There are ZERO non-PvP quests that REQUIRE you to enter the Ilum PvP area. There is exactly ONE PvE quest that REQUIRES you to enter a PvP area IN THE ENTIRE GAME and that's the HK-51 quest. You can whine and complain all you want - the fact is, you CHOSE to enter the PvP area and complete PvP quests - now live with the consequences of open-world FFA PvP. If you CHOOSE to take part in a PvP quest, then you're also choosing to take part in PvP.