How much does F2P cost?

Skreenj

Has anybody worked out how much it would cost to buy all of the unlocks in the game to make F2P match the subscribers' freedoms? I mean, even if it would be like $200 to unlock everything, that's equal to about 1 year of P2P. As time goes on I suppose you would need to unlock additional things, but is the price comparable?

I believe the DarthHater guys did some analysis and it is cheaper to go F2P if you buy unlocks for a single area (e.g. just operations or just PvP warzones) but if you are unlocking 2 areas every week then a subscription is better. This is all from memory ... I've been a subscriber from day one and haven't ever considered switching to F2P msyelf.

Of course there is a ton of game content available that you don't ever have to unlock If you spend a little to get preferred status up front, the game can be truly F2P.

I think it was $12 a month to PvP when you're past lv50 (unlimited warzones+gear unlocks). Considering the difference is only $3 I decided to stay a subscriber since I also do alot of crafting and would like to delve into Flashpoints and operations.

I think it was $12 a month to PvP when you're past lv50 (unlimited warzones+gear unlocks). Considering the difference is only $3 I decided to stay a subscriber since I also do alot of crafting and would like to delve into Flashpoints and operations.

And that $12 is assuming you are only playing 1 character right?

Has anybody worked out how much it would cost to buy all of the unlocks in the game to make F2P match the subscribers' freedoms? I mean, even if it would be like $200 to unlock everything, that's equal to about 1 year of P2P. As time goes on I suppose you would need to unlock additional things, but is the price comparable?

If your looking to unlock all you need to play with little restrictions. Think about it this way. What do you need in the game to play and what is fluff. I find the following items to be a must:

Crew Skill Slot x1 (account)

Artifact Equipment Use x1 (account)

Event Equipment Use x1 (account)

Character Slot x2

That's it. All the other stuff is literal fluff at this point. I say Character Slot x2 because as a Premium member you get 6 slots. Now this being said the items I mentioned above will run you from 40 bucks to 80 bucks total. You won't need much more than that to play.

You can save even a little more if you don't want to play all the classes in the game for story and the Crew Skill Slot is only needed if you want to craft in the game. I love crafting but that's just me.

The Unify Colors and stuff is all just fluff junk for your account and not needed to fully enjoy the game.

The Event Authorization isn't priority too

Even as a subscriber I rarely used an event item

With 6 slots you can have all the crew skills across your toons, so the only thing really required is the Artifact Authorization

and 2 character slots if you want to play all classes

I am going preferred next month so I used credtis to buy unify, titles and head slots, now I just have to buy the artifact authorization, then I'll re-sub when all my toons are lv50

Edited by pudim

It all comes down to what YOU need. Some of us who have played for a while can do without certain things such as crew skills and what not.

The event perk off of the store is to ensure full gear use. This perk isn't highly useful right now but HOPEFULLY Bioware will opt for more INGAME events and not some stupid *** Cartel Market only events.

I found that insulting that the Cartel Market was the only "event" they had for winter. Sure it was nice for some vanity items but nothing actually ingame to do for it. LOTRO by Turbine has 4 events every year just about. Sometimes more. 1 per season and sometimes extra ones. Hrm. This may end up being a new thread for me soon as I feel it should be addressed.

don't forget about additional action bars if you want more of those too. some people are able to live with 2 though, so i guess it's relatable.

If you spend a pittance (one time, $5) you become preferred and get 4 quickbars. Check here. Mouse over the various circle/dots in the table to see a popup tooltip. Subscribers get 6 quickbars but for the first 9 months of play, subscribers (there was no F2P) had only 4.

• 2 years later...
It all comes down to what YOU need. Some of us who have played for a while can do without certain things such as crew skills and what not.

The event perk off of the store is to ensure full gear use. This perk isn't highly useful right now but HOPEFULLY Bioware will opt for more INGAME events and not some stupid *** Cartel Market only events.

I found that insulting that the Cartel Market was the only "event" they had for winter. Sure it was nice for some vanity items but nothing actually ingame to do for it. LOTRO by Turbine has 4 events every year just about. Sometimes more. 1 per season and sometimes extra ones. Hrm. This may end up being a new thread for me soon as I feel it should be addressed.

Too bad LOTRO is a terrible terrible game.

For me, it was $8. Total.

That's what it cost for a box sub which gave me 1 month (actually 2 since there was a special), and then Pref status. Played many months and leveled 3 toons, no problems. But back then I was able to buy most account unlocks for far less than the sub credit cap. And I didn't/don't care about PvP or Ops.

But I switched to sub with the Story Pack and decided to stick with it. With 12XP (I'm here for class stories), it's a slam dunk.