Ilum - Will it ever be remade? Does Bioware maybe think that it is "fine" and fun?

Teabaker

EDIT: I'm NOT talking about Faction Imbalance. Yes, that's also a problem but a minor one. I'm talking about how awful the Ilum-Concept overall is.

Does someone here think that Ilum is fine and fun? That it's indeed a great Zone? For me it's actually one of the worst PvP-Zones and PvP-Experience i have ever had and saw. It's so bad, awful designed and it has an incredible amount of flaws and bugs. And, the most important part, it's unfun.

So please tell me, what is Bioware thinking? Why aren't they talking about Ilum? Do they think that Ilum will fix itself? How could a Company like Bioware release Ilum in that State? (<- My biggest Question actually). Why didn't they remove Ilum before Release, revamp it and reintroduce it with a later Patch? Don't tell me that the Game Designer thought that Ilum is fun. Bioware isn't a bad Game Company.

Also here is a Video of my Guardian:

That's how i do my Ilum Daily.

Edited by Teabaker

PvP – We have an entire team dedicated to adding content and features to player vs. player. We have some of the most experienced PvP developers in the world on this team. So far very few people have seen, or know much about the stunning Open World PVP on Ilum; when you get to the high levels prepare to be blown away!

Love

Bioware

There's no strategy in Ilum. That's the problem. It's half baked and rushed just to have something ready by release date. No choke points, no real objectives to be anywhere on the map. It's too easy to take control points, even for a single person. Valor buff is nice and all, but it always goes to those with more people, simple math. Picking up munitions around central point that count for 1 kill each is a stupid way to lure people to the middle. With population imbalance that pretty much makes more numerous faction circle middle riding around looking for munitions since the other faction will never go there.

They'll do something with it. I'm hoping for something resembling Warhammer open world PVP. Hopefully vastly improved and fitted to Star Wars lore. It's not perfect by far, but sadly it's 100 times more fun and diverse than Ilum is right now.

You can't call faction imbalance a minor issue in ilum. It is a major issue with ilum and the current design of ilum heavily favors the dominant faction. I would actually say that Server imbalance is the number one reason that ilum fails.

EDIT: I'm NOT talking about Faction Imbalance. Yes, that's also a problem but a minor one.

A MINOR ONE?

On our server, there are constantly 2-5 times the Imps on Ilum than Reps and this is a MINOR problem? I don't care if it's fun or not as long as it's completely imbalanced and almost unplayable for reps on so many servers.

I tried getting my daily today so I got up at 4 o' clock in the morning to farm some Armaments: I was alone on the rep side and there were 5 imps in the middle! Guess how many Points I got for my daily in ~4 hours were I constantly tried to sneak an Armament/kill.... 2!!!!

And during that time, the most Reps I saw at the same time were 2 and as soon as they saw the 5-10 Imps in the middle, they immediately left.

First - solve this issue by making Ilum a cross-server instance, then we can talk about how we can make it more fun and stuff.

As to making Ilum/Hero Engine faster...

I recently put together a new computer (Intel i7-2600k, 8Gigs ram, Radeon HD 6950 1 gig). Before I was playing on a 2 year old laptop (laptop is Intel i7 q720, 4Gig ram, Mobile Radeon HD 5730 1 gig). Old laptop was fine for pve, even warzones, but on lowest settings. Ilum was a slideshow when a lot of people showed up, could do some 1v1 here and there. No slow downs on new computer on max settings, even in Ilum during zerg fights.

This game simply requires a much more powerful system than other MMOs. In other words you can't say "My computer can run WoW so it should run this just as well". Sure they will optimize it some more, but there's no magic, only so much can be done through software. Might have to look into upgrading hardware on your side instead of waiting for BW to fix everything for you.

Even when Ilum runs smooth it still boring and stupid, I wouldn't even go there if it wasn't for daily/weekly. That's a much bigger problem.

PS: SSD makes a HUGE difference in load times.

Ilum PVP to me is a grind with no strategy involved. I don't ever go there unless i have to do the weekly/ daily.

It does show the lack of emphasis placed on end game world pvp by BW and its a shame as i thought the 3 wzs were done quite well. Changing the concept of Ilum pvp so quickly after launch is a clear sign the devs wished they had spent more time and effort to come up with a more creative, engaging and fun pvp model.

A revamp of the concept is required to inject playability into the zone. People should feel like doing an Ilum run apart from the weekly/ daily requirements. There are a plethora of pvp concepts in the market and having a look at them and perhaps plagarising some of them might not be such a bad idea.

PvP – We have an entire team dedicated to adding content and features to player vs. player. We have some of the most experienced PvP developers in the world on this team. So far very few people have seen, or know much about the stunning Open World PVP on Ilum; when you get to the high levels prepare to be blown away!

Love

Bioware

Ya i was blown away, right to the unsub button.

Fix Illum Fps issues. Until this is done nothing else matters.

Nvm I forgot game engine cant handle mass pvp my bad.....

THIS THIS THIS THIS. Bioware you are all a bunch of idiots. We are having horrible problems with Ilum and soooo many other aspects of the game its nearly unplayable and yet, what do you focus on? The fricken ability bar. You guys are retarded. Let me stress that point.. RE-TARD-DED. Ban me for calling you that. Ive already unsubscribed and will not re-subscribe until you pull your head out of your *****. Peace out.

I play on a RP-PVP server where for the most part the populations are balanced. In fact, I would say that on my server (Ven Zallow) Ilum is working pretty close to optimum right now. All the action on our server is in the center objective, and it really depends which faction has more people. Both republic and empire control the middle throughout the day (mostly imperials control though) and while this sounds like it's fun, trust me it is not.

Even with fewer players than other servers there are far too many desktop crashes, frame issues, and lag to enjoy that place. I suffer through my daily 30 kills and leave. The map is just not interesting, it's too big, and there are objectives which are mostly unused. They need to patch out the reason for going there, go back to the drawing board and give us something better. Ilum needs a total revamp. I don't want what is being offered, and I resent being forced to go there for my battlemaster bag chance.

There's no strategy in Ilum. That's the problem. It's half baked and rushed just to have something ready by release date. No choke points, no real objectives to be anywhere on the map. It's too easy to take control points, even for a single person. Valor buff is nice and all, but it always goes to those with more people, simple math. Picking up munitions around central point that count for 1 kill each is a stupid way to lure people to the middle. With population imbalance that pretty much makes more numerous faction circle middle riding around looking for munitions since the other faction will never go there.

They'll do something with it. I'm hoping for something resembling Warhammer open world PVP. Hopefully vastly improved and fitted to Star Wars lore. It's not perfect by far, but sadly it's 100 times more fun and diverse than Ilum is right now.

qft. You said it all.

Love

Bioware

yes, the are strong in will bu weak in doing something! ?ILLUM PVP SUCKS! i better play with myself than play that sith !

They need to just make ilum a zone for all servers until cap then open another and so on. Might not fix the imbalance issue but will be a huge upgrade. Then they need to add in something to fight for. Like bases with unique items/armor you can obtain by controlling and purchase with ilum comms

And feel free to put in a world boss that drops amazing somthing to fight over. Only spawns when both sides are full and special condition has been met. Would love to see a huge AT AT in action

I think Ilum should have a tenacity buff like Wintergrasp in WoW for the outnumbered faction.

I mean on my server it's approximately 3:1 or 4:1 on average for Imps to Reps, if I have to fight 3 Imps, then I better be buffed up enough to make that 3 feel like fighting 1v1.

Ilum PVP to me is a grind with no strategy involved. I don't ever go there unless i have to do the weekly/ daily.

It does show the lack of emphasis placed on end game world pvp by BW and its a shame as i thought the 3 wzs were done quite well. Changing the concept of Ilum pvp so quickly after launch is a clear sign the devs wished they had spent more time and effort to come up with a more creative, engaging and fun pvp model.

A revamp of the concept is required to inject playability into the zone. People should feel like doing an Ilum run apart from the weekly/ daily requirements. There are a plethora of pvp concepts in the market and having a look at them and perhaps plagarising some of them might not be such a bad idea.

its a waste of time...no real objective or gains other than lol our 50 beat your 10...

bioware failed and i blame ea

Love

Bioware

Their "experienced team" were consisted of those failures from mythic who screwed up warhammer online's pvp.

Why they would re hire them beats me.

I just want to know if someone at Bioware really sat down, looked at Ilum and thought "OMG, what a *********** awesome design! I mean seriously guys, 5 control points in a straight line in a giant *********** map!!! THIS IS REVOLUTIONARY!"

:facepalm

Will guild wars 2 have similarly-crappy world pvp zones?

I know many people who will be quitting if mechanical design is better in guild wars 2, since decent mechanical design appears to be nonexistant in SWTOR.

Edited by Auxili

Will guild wars 2 have similarly-crappy world pvp zones?

Nope. they have released their info and map's for their world pvp.

basically 3 servers fight against each other each week for domination of a map and all it's key objectives, such as castles, siege weapons etc.

A MINOR ONE?

On our server, there are constantly 2-5 times the Imps on Ilum than Reps and this is a MINOR problem? I don't care if it's fun or not as long as it's completely imbalanced and almost unplayable for reps on so many servers.

I tried getting my daily today so I got up at 4 o' clock in the morning to farm some Armaments: I was alone on the rep side and there were 5 imps in the middle! Guess how many Points I got for my daily in ~4 hours were I constantly tried to sneak an Armament/kill.... 2!!!!

And during that time, the most Reps I saw at the same time were 2 and as soon as they saw the 5-10 Imps in the middle, they immediately left.

First - solve this issue by making Ilum a cross-server instance, then we can talk about how we can make it more fun and stuff.

TLDR:

1) Having objectives in the zone that are worth a damn will break up the concentration of players (have to split to cap/defend/attack)

2) Most of game mechanic is based aroudn concentrating players to avoid emptiness (only 3 wzs, levels 1-49 together instead of in tiers, only one 'real' pvp zone). I'm guessing they want to avoid ghost-towns which will cause players to pronounce doom.

3) Rewards are not split between groupmembers but are instead given to all (zerg to win)

4) I'm guessing they will put in a good system after a little while, because that's what they do.. give you crap and then put a strawberry on it a month later to make you feel it improved.. when they could have done that to begin with.

Full version

By placing objectives that provide benefit and an objective (besides a ridiculous light-show bombing of the base) and there will be an actual reason for zergs to split up and defend territory. It will actually make sense for turtled people to speeder out to the other areas and for the campers to send people after them.

I can only guess that the reason for only 3 warzones, the reason for placing levels 1-49 together in warzones and for Ilum being the only "real" pvp zone with even a half-assed objective is to concentrate the population so you don't have a ghost town. Warhammer Online had similar systems.. keeping Pvp Zones and Warzones in 10-level tiers, but that was problematic with low populations in those tiers. Warhammer also had a good system for splitting up zergs, specifically having multiple zones and multiple objectives within them with an overall REASON to do more than spawn camp... not to mention the fact that Valour/RPs were SPLIT between groupmembers so zerging gained you less reward. For that matter, I hope they put in the token system of Warhammer so killing players got you tokens to roll for in group.. .

..but, again, I'm guessing they will change this after the initial month or two and call it a brilliant new feature......right now I'm canceled and will wait and see what happens.