Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013

CourtneyWoods

You should log on to Steam again - they currently only use the equivalent of DisplayName, and that name is what you are known as to all your friends (and in the community section of Steam for that matter).[/color]

That actually is false, yes you can choose to use your account name as your display name but it is entire possible to go by a completely different name (which in most cases is what people are doing). I can assure you my steam display name is not my account name.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So in case you haven't come across me before (most haven't!), I'm Phillip Holmes, the Senior Manager of Security here at Star Wars: The Old Republic.

/snip

I just want to take a moment to say thank you or taking time to provide sensible and rational responses to some of the hysteria in this thread. Responses like yours really do help tamp down the hysteria and eliminate the frushtration accociated with it.

Nicely handled too.

All this is, is another attempt to copy WoW.

IF you are going to try to turn this into a bash on WoW, at least get your facts straight first. I do not log into World of Warcraft with my display name, I use my email . So, this is not some attempt to copy World of Warcraft.

Again, get your facts straight before you open your mouth.

True Story:

The login manager ALREADY allows you to use your forum handle OR your email address. They are simply removing the email address option (which given how poorly some people manage their own email security, is an intelligent action on Bioware's part).

So in case you haven't come across me before (most haven't!), I'm Phillip Holmes, the Senior Manager of Security here at Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Thanks for the very detailed response. You have put me to ease with your post. The change seemed odd but I'm sure it will be better in the back end.

That's for the other security tips as well. I'll be looking into those. Thanks.

Please be aware that beginning on April 2, 2013, logging in to the game or website will require your Display Name. Email addresses will no longer be accepted; your Display Name will be the only accepted option.

Read More

I need three pieces of information to log in. My username. My password. My authenticator. You are willing giving one of those away to potentional hackers and the other two are easy to overcome. Wow. Really? This is actually worse than Blizzard's real name on the forums thing.

Given that logging in with Display Name has been in place since FTP launched and i rarely heard of anyone that got hacked in Swtor. So whatever BW is doing,it's working as far as i'm concerned.

@Phillip: Thank you for the response.

Edited by Alduinsm

I need three pieces of information to log in. My username. My password. My authenticator. You are willing giving one of those away to potentional hackers and the other two are easy to overcome. Wow. Really? This is actually worse than Blizzard's real name on the forums thing.

How is the authenticator easy to over come? :rak_02:

Given that logging in with Display Name has been in place since FTP launched and i rarely heard of anyone that got hacked in Swtor. So whatever BW is doing,it's working as far as i'm concerned.

I have not even heard of anyone getting hacked from SWTOR, *crosses fingers* ;)

You should log on to Steam again - they currently only use the equivalent of DisplayName, and that name is what you are known as to all your friends (and in the community section of Steam for that matter).

Err... what? The account name that I use to log in to Steam, the name I display for my page in Steam's community section (steamcommunity.com/id/<name>), and the name I display on my friends list are all completely different.

Edited by Burning-Beard

You should log on to Steam again - they currently only use the equivalent of DisplayName, and that name is what you are known as to all your friends (and in the community section of Steam for that matter).

My account name and my display name are separate on Steam.

So two things here. Not everybody knows your Display Name, and an attacker will need to figure out your email account in order to attempt to take over your SWTOR account. We are implementing a few other measures (more news on that in the few weeks!) to ensure that account take over risk is mitigated. internal tools and can tell you the answer :jawa_wink:

I can guarantee however that your email address is used on multiple sites. We don't control the security of 'all the sites' and as a result whenever another site that is using email address is hacked and your details disclosed, that the attacker will know who to phish or similar. Not so true for a Display Name that most people don't always get to use on every site they visit...

Not everything you think is 'hidden' truly is.

My email address is hidden. My display name is visible to the public in two place.

<--- there and on my main character.

Attempts at hacking of our site are not tolerated at all. Doing so would get that player in a lot more trouble than it any gain they think they might be able to get. :jawa_evil:

Good luck punishing the bad guys. Blizzard and Sony haven't had luck there and they've had more years than you.

We are only changing how you log in to your account - your characters stay tied together as part of that overall account. No need to worry! :jawa_biggrin:

My character which now advertises to the world part of my login info, you mean?

Have I mentioned that people need to make sure their own email account is as secure as possible? :jawa_wink:[/color]

Right. Because it's how you log in to SWTOR and others.

Edited by Bomyne

Some responses below - apologies if I don't reply to every question...

I notice that you purposely avoided answering the most logical way to make our accounts more secure, my suggestion to have us all create New Unique Account Names, instead of using names that can be easily gleaned off any forum we use.

I myself play many Online Games and use many forums and I use the same Display Name (aka. Forum Handle) in all of them. Using that as my login is not a more secure way of doing anything. What kind of "Security Expert" can ignore that simple logic?

:cool:

Edited by Blackavaar

How is the authenticator easy to over come? :rak_02:

Do you remember the two pieces of information you inputted in the app when you were setting it up? Naturally you made a backup. If anyone gets that backup, they can recreate your authenticaor.

... I am kinda confused on this myself. Looking at it from the perspective as a gamer who doesn't frequent the forums. Or a gamer who created an account just to play the game. Then never came back to the forums. I find this a little odd. There are dozens of gamers out there like this. The only reason I even know mine is because I rant at the devs half the time.( Mind you my voice is never heard)

I could possibly see how this would be easier to add friends in game. Link your friends from the forums to in game, but still. It could just be as simple as it is easier for them to keep track of us. Logging in to the site you have a different name/ names than you do when you sign into the game. That and this could possibly fix the issue of having to sign in to the site and the game. Which I have found kind of annoying at times. I understand the security key, but having to retype everything is kinda annoying and wastes time.

Anywho, I hope this is a good fix for things

I notice that you purposely avoided answering the most logical way to make our accounts more secure, my suggestion to have us all create New Unique Account Names, instead of using names that can be easily gleaned off any forum we use.

I myself play many Online Games and use many forums and I use the same Display Name (aka. Forum Handle) in all of them. Using that as my login is not a more secure way of doing anything. What kind of "Security Expert" can ignore that simple logic?

Was about to suggest the same thing, doing this would make our account even more secure.

Are you serious? Would you also like to change, that our passwords get 123456? So hackers will have a really simple life after 2nd of april.

Pleasy guys, either shut the game down or do a good job, but stop doing such idiotic things.

Respect to the BW employee who answered so many of the responses. My Guild Wars 2 account recently had a person from Japan try to enter it. Which if a person wanted to play that game so bad, I would give you my information. I of course blame facebook because other than that, I am not on many sites that have my email attached to it. On a daily basis, I only use my email with SWTOR and nothing else.

I can guarantee however that your email address is used on multiple sites.

If you didn't give my email address to anyone else, then no. I can guarantee you that I don't use this address for anything else then this game, because I create a new unique address for any MMO I play. However, in every forum I register an account I use this name... well, thanks for screwing up my security scheme. That's just one more drop that is really to much now.

Read more carefully, mate:

We did look at using a secondary 'login only' display name, but sadly this would create more confusion and increase costs associated with support of the new system rather than decrease existing support costs. And again, I stress that knowledge of the Display Name in of itself is not a security measure - we have many other controls in place to mitigate that knowledge.

Major props to Phillip for taking the time to address these concerns. I wasn't too worried before and I'm certainly not worried now.

Edited by LarryRow

I'm a security expert and would love to take up that challenge - but then I have access to internal tools and can tell you the answer :jawa_wink:

I can guarantee however that your email address is used on multiple sites. We don't control the security of 'all the sites' and as a result whenever another site that is using email address is hacked and your details disclosed, that the attacker will know who to phish or similar. Not so true for a Display Name that most people don't always get to use on every site they visit...

Not everything you think is 'hidden' truly is.

So you know, that the mail of my own domain is not exclusively used ? When I own several mail-accounts that are exclusively under my own control ?

Respect... but I would suggest, that you are a little less bold on what you claim to be able to guarantee.

And even if I did use my email-address on any other site, then someone would still need to figure out, that I am using that e-mail for SWTOR too... With your proposed new system, noone needs to take any guesses. Everyone interested in hacking will know for sure, what my login name is.

Edited by JPryde

Thanks Phillip, for responding.

So many paranoid, conspiratorial people on the interwebz.

At least the response is not as explosive as when Blizzard almost made displaying real names mandatory. :D

It's not paranoia. It's fact. Gold sellers exist on the internet. These people hack accounts and steal gold, credits, etc from MMO accounts then turn around and sell them to other players. Previously they had to rely on keyloggers and clever methods to get login details. Now they only need to skim the forums.

I have an authenticator on my account but I don't 100% trust apple or google not to accidently include a bug or exploit in their OS software, so I don't rely on it's for security. Passwords are easy to overcome. Most people use easy to guess passwords. I'm willing to bet that Password1 is a VERY common SWTOR password.

Raise your hand if your Swtor account has been hacked.

Raise your hand if you think this change is necessary. (No one asked for it)

Instead of focusing in Log In changes, fix the game crashes, lag, disconnections.....