More down time

Theguffin

Why yes, I have just returned to this game after being on a break for about a year.

Have they ever changed the maintenance time to something that makes sense for the european players or is it still the same old ... ?

If anyone could answer this for me, would be highly appreciated!

Why yes, I have just returned to this game after being on a break for about a year.

Have they ever changed the maintenance time to something that makes sense for the european players or is it still the same old ... ?

If anyone could answer this for me, would be highly appreciated!

Well, just for this patch, it's gotten worse. It went from 8am GMT to 1-3pm GMT. fantastic.

But it's a small patch, and probably to fix things like 'Pubs not being able to do Taral V etc.

Maintenance time is the same - presumably because the server infrastructure will not allow for a staggered down time for patches.

Today's downtime is presumably to fix some bugs - you know those things - just about every other thread created in the forums QQing about a bug and demanding it be fixed immediately. Then, we have down time to address some of the issues, and what happens? Oh yes, this thread again.

I haven't played that many other MMOs, but the ones I have also have regular DT for patches and fixes. As I recall, however, there are 7 days in a week and 24 hours in a day. If someone's play time is limited so severely that they can only play for 2-4 hours on only one day a week, then perhaps on-line games really aren't the types of games you should be looking to play.

BJ

Great back on this debate again... Bioware is an american/canadian company they will do the maintence in a time which minimizes down time in their time zone. you have to remember we're on a 24 hour globe... if one area is off-peak another is in peak times. The world dosn't revolve around us europeans

Maintenance time is the same - presumably because the server infrastructure will not allow for a staggered down time for patches.

Today's downtime is presumably to fix some bugs - you know those things - just about every other thread created in the forums QQing about a bug and demanding it be fixed immediately. Then, we have down time to address some of the issues, and what happens? Oh yes, this thread again.

I haven't played that many other MMOs, but the ones I have also have regular DT for patches and fixes. As I recall, however, there are 7 days in a week and 24 hours in a day. If someone's play time is limited so severely that they can only play for 2-4 hours on only one day a week, then perhaps on-line games really aren't the types of games you should be looking to play.

BJ

they just had a 8 hour downtime, bugs are to be addressed there. but no instead of fixing things they create more problems.

Wow great job

If the downtime is to fix the Taral V bug which stops the FP being completed (and renders GF useless if that's the HM it decides upon) then, yes, great job.

The reason question, of course, should be how the hell did they make a change to the FP and not notice that it completely breaks the mission. Test it you say?

"Hey boss, I've finished the Taral V coding!"

"Great work son. Get that sh*t uploaded and let's go for lunch...."

Edited by DonkeyGobbler

they just had a 8 hour downtime, bugs are to be addressed there. but no instead of fixing things they create more problems.

First of all, welcome to the wonderful world of software coding. Been happening for decades, and it will continue to happen for decades to come.

Second, if the choice comes between waiting to fix a game-breaking bug until the next "routine" down time and having an "emergency" down time sooner to fix said bug, then the proper thing to do is #2, which is presumably what they are doing.

In terms of testing to find the Teral V bug before Tuesday's patch ... tough to say. There have been many a time where I have been a party to a procedure that was tested ad infinitum on a mirrored test network until it went like clockwork only to have something completely unexpected and unanticipated happen when that procedure was performed on the live network. Welcome to the wonderful world of technology.

BJ

Edited by BJWyler

If someone's play time is limited so severely that they can only play for 2-4 hours on only one day a week, then perhaps on-line games really aren't the types of games you should be looking to play.

BJ

What a lousy attitude and obviously from someone with lots of free time to play when they choose. So basically, because I work during the day and spend time with my spouse and kids in the evening these types of game aren't for me? Yep - I get a few hours in before work in the morning (pacific time) and that's it. I'v been playing MMO's for years and I get by just fine except when excessive downtime keeps me out of the game more than once or twice a week.

I was hoping that since this was a newer game that they would have had similar server architecture to Rift that has little downtime at ANY time of the day. Rift isn't (for me) anywhere near as fun of a game though so I guess I'll just post here in the forums when I can't play the actual game...

What a lousy attitude and obviously from someone with lots of free time to play when they choose. So basically, because I work during the day and spend time with my spouse and kids in the evening these types of game aren't for me? Yep - I get a few hours in before work in the morning (pacific time) and that's it. I'v been playing MMO's for years and I get by just fine except when excessive downtime keeps me out of the game more than once or twice a week.

I was hoping that since this was a newer game that they would have had similar server architecture to Rift that has little downtime at ANY time of the day. Rift isn't (for me) anywhere near as fun of a game though so I guess I'll just post here in the forums when I can't play the actual game...

Kinda actually in the same boat you are - very little free time between the work duties and the family duties. However, I also realize that (again) there are 7 days in a week, and if I can't play one day then I will be able to play the next. My toons will still be there waiting. If there comes a time when my only free time happens to be on a Tuesday between 3 AM PT and 10 AM PT, then yes, I will find another game to play, because .... well it just doesn't make all that much sense to pay for a game I can't play, no matter how much I enjoy it.

Unfortunately, today is one of those days where I have some free time in the morning, but apparently a nasty bug that needs fixing is (hopefully) being fixed, so I'll spend that time reading and posting here and head back in game tomorrow (ironically enough probably to play the FP that will be fixed).

BJ

Edited by BJWyler

lol complaining about game maintenance as if it should not happen. -1 to you sir. Bad form.

-1 to you sir too for not differentiating the different type of maintenance. I don't complain about yesterday's maintenance if it is necessary (as you have alluded to).

However, I am not ok with today's maintenance being just less than 24 hours from the earlier maintenance. This latest maintenance is apparently to fix issues brought about by yesterday's maintenance. It shows lack of proper and comprehensive testing (due to indiscipline or laziness?) before the patch was rolled out yesterday. How do we know if we would have another maintenance less than 24 hours later to fix the current 'maintenance'. Its a vicious cycle whose source is firmly rooted in not having proper and comprehensive testing before patches are delivered to the live system.

It can be said that many other games are experiencing the same issues (lack of proper and comprehensive testing before live patch are brought into production) and it is true. It is also true that these same games are losing subscribers by the months.

I have played many MMOs over the last 10 years and I can say that the single game that can handle system updates and patching competently is EveOnline. It is no wonder that this game is older than WoW and yet it is still surviving in today's market. Its maintenance regime is only half-an-hour per day (7 days a week) at fixed timeslot with NO SURPRISES. Bottomline is --- they do not pissed off their players with surprise downtime.

It is just a plain shame that many gaming companies hosted many good artistic and marketing talents to design good game, create wonderful and enjoyable content, as well as to innovatively market them to the customers (E.g. f2p) only to be let down by the technical team (weakest link) and the customer service team (who will tell you to quit your subscription if you are not happy with such maintenance).

1.6.3a Patch Notes

Cartel Market

The following armor sets will no longer incorrectly list helmet as part of the set description:

Sanctified Caretaker Armor Set

Malevolent Interrogator Armor Set

Clandestine Officer Armor Set

Interstellar Privateer Armor Set

Valiant Jedi Armor Set

Sith Raider Armor Set

Flashpoints and Operations

Taral V: Players will no longer be prevented from completing this Flashpoint on the step "Defeat General Edikar."

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/1.6.3a/1252013

I don't know how some sets listed a helmet.

???

-1 to you sir too for not differentiating the different type of maintenance. I don't complain about yesterday's maintenance if it is necessary (as you have alluded to).

However, I am not ok with today's maintenance being just less than 24 hours from the earlier maintenance. This latest maintenance is apparently to fix issues brought about by yesterday's maintenance. It shows lack of proper and comprehensive testing (due to indiscipline or laziness?) before the patch was rolled out yesterday. How do we know if we would have another maintenance less than 24 hours later to fix the current 'maintenance'. Its a vicious cycle whose source is firmly rooted in not having proper and comprehensive testing before patches are delivered to the live system.

It can be said that many other games are experiencing the same issues (lack of proper and comprehensive testing before live patch are brought into production) and it is true. It is also true that these same games are losing subscribers by the months.

I have played many MMOs over the last 10 years and I can say that the single game that can handle system updates and patching competently is EveOnline. It is no wonder that this game is older than WoW and yet it is still surviving in today's market. Its maintenance regime is only half-an-hour per day (7 days a week) at fixed timeslot with NO SURPRISES. Bottomline is --- they do not pissed off their players with surprise downtime.

It is just a plain shame that many gaming companies hosted many good artistic and marketing talents to design good game, create wonderful and enjoyable content, as well as to innovatively market them to the customers (E.g. f2p) only to be let down by the technical team (weakest link) and the customer service team (who will tell you to quit your subscription if you are not happy with such maintenance).

Another "Armchair Developer", sir? Obviously you have never worked on a tech team if you consider them the weakest link in the industry. Walk a mile, my good sir, walk a mile, then come tell us your complaints.

BJ

1.6.3a Patch Notes

Cartel Market

The following armor sets will no longer incorrectly list helmet as part of the set description:

Sanctified Caretaker Armor Set

Malevolent Interrogator Armor Set

Clandestine Officer Armor Set

Interstellar Privateer Armor Set

Valiant Jedi Armor Set

Sith Raider Armor Set

Flashpoints and Operations

Taral V: Players will no longer be prevented from completing this Flashpoint on the step "Defeat General Edikar."

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/1.6.3a/1252013

I don't know how some sets listed a helmet.

???

lol, the part about the helmets might be my fault, sent a bug report Wednesday when I saw that the Sanctified Caretaker Armor Set and the Malevolent Interrogator Armor Set had no helmet but it was written in the details there was one.

I am eager to work for your company where your computers never ever experience unexpected issues or ever need services needing to be stopped to fix something.

First of all, welcome to the wonderful world of software coding. Been happening for decades, and it will continue to happen for decades to come.

Second, if the choice comes between waiting to fix a game-breaking bug until the next "routine" down time and having an "emergency" down time sooner to fix said bug, then the proper thing to do is #2, which is presumably what they are doing.

In terms of testing to find the Teral V bug before Tuesday's patch ... tough to say. There have been many a time where I have been a party to a procedure that was tested ad infinitum on a mirrored test network until it went like clockwork only to have something completely unexpected and unanticipated happen when that procedure was performed on the live network. Welcome to the wonderful world of technology.

BJ

Sorry sir to have to 'correct' you on your apparently out-of-touch comments on the general IT industry, specifically in the area of software development. Perhaps what you have been experiencing is solely contained within the gaming industry where indiscipline and non-competitive IT practise seems to be tolerated years after years.

Have you ever experience regular downtime on google, amazon, yahoo or any major International bank IT/web/online service? Or do you have any expectation of IT system running mission critical system (like those in auto-pilot system in commercial airline) to have any hint of a possible glitch and downtime while in operation?

The state of today's IT industry is not anything less than capable of a 99.9% high availability and is enabled and supported by the ever cheaper high availability technology offered by many solution providers. If it is not implemented, it cannot be the fault of the technology or availability of solution but one of conscious choice of tolerating a lesser standard of service availability that I believe gaming company like this one owe a responsibility to its paying customer.

The intolerable and out-of-touch IT service standard perpetuated by the gaming IT teams carries a cost not only to the business that it supports but also to the image it creates for itself. For one, any resumes seeking employment in my company that carries an IT working experience in any gaming companies will find its way to the paper shedder without a single hint of further consideration. It is a real risk to the company's online service availability to let former gaming industry IT personnel to handle it. It remains a perceived risk until we see some real change in the way IT people handle their work in the gaming industry.

Sorry sir to have to 'correct' you on your apparently out-of-touch comments on the general IT industry, specifically in the area of software development. Perhaps what you have been experiencing is solely contained within the gaming industry where indiscipline and non-competitive IT practise seems to be tolerated years after years.

Have you ever experience regular downtime on google, amazon, yahoo or any major International bank IT/web/online service? Or do you have any expectation of IT system running mission critical system (like those in auto-pilot system in commercial airline) to have any hint of a possible glitch and downtime while in operation?

The state of today's IT industry is not anything less than capable of a 99.9% high availability and is enabled and supported by the ever cheaper high availability technology offered by many solution providers. If it is not implemented, it cannot be the fault of the technology or availability of solution but one of conscious choice of tolerating a lesser standard of service availability that I believe gaming company like this one owe a responsibility to its paying customer.

The intolerable and out-of-touch IT service standard perpetuated by the gaming IT teams carries a cost not only to the business that it supports but also to the image it creates for itself. For one, any resumes seeking employment in my company that carries an IT working experience in any gaming companies will find its way to the paper shedder without a single hint of further consideration. It is a real risk to the company's online service availability to let former gaming industry IT personnel to handle it. It remains a perceived risk until we see some real change in the way IT people handle their work in the gaming industry.

Clearly never worked for any govt department then ;)