What is the point of housing?

Songano

Is there some way to interact with placed objects? So far it just looks like you can place all kinds of objects/items in your stronghold but cant use any of it. You cant even use chairs or your bed. Ok, you can use /chair for the immersion of really sitting on a chair, but you will get bad clipping doing that (legs going through the chair.). So what is the point? Can you prove me wrong and tell me about usable items inside a stronghold?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None whatsoever for me. It was a gateway to legacy storage for me, but not now I can only have 5 tabs, it is pointless.

Great for the roleplayers and ERPers I imagine though.

That said, the whole system is more antiquated than Lotro's, which has been around for years.

This is potentially a bigger flop than GSF.

Edited by ThorgrimLutgen

It's a lifeless exhibition hall of stuff.

They created housing free of any fun. You have to respect this achievement by BioWare. Any other person would have tried to make housing fun.

Go look SWG housing man and then come to tell me for crappy Lotro, and the lol swtor one

The housing here is only for legacy storage and nothing less, BUT with the tabs pricing is forbidden for a lot

and with the mat stacks at 99 their price is huge

greedy EA strikes back

Is there some way to interact with placed objects? So far it just looks like you can place all kinds of objects/items in your stronghold but cant use any of it. You cant even use chairs or your bed. Ok, you can use /chair for the immersion of really sitting on a chair, but you will get bad clipping doing that (legs going through the chair.). So what is the point? Can you prove me wrong and tell me about usable items inside a stronghold?

The point of housing is the same as anything else in a computer game: to keep people busy.

It may not be your thing but you'll find that there are a lot of people who like this sort of thing, just like some people like raiding or pvp or doing story line missions. It's just a different activity. You'll likely see in improvement in queues since all of a sudden people have a new reason to do flashpoint for example so they can collect as many decorations as possible.

If you don't like to play interior decorater, that's cool. But you will get loot and crafting options that could make you some money. That might be interesting for you.

To keep the rain off your face...

Seriously it's what you make of it.

Roleplayers will have tons and tons of fun with it (unless they are extremely stuck-up about not having free placement).

Personally I'll have some fun setting up my own house the way I want it, but then I'll use it like I use my ship... For handling mail, crafting, storage and all that.

a place where i can do stuff and not have to worry about gold spam. there will be things like vendors mailboxes gtn terminals, cargo bays, crafting droids etc

Chat on Strongholds will NOT be instanced. The Chat you get to read is the one from the planets when Strongholds are located.

I guess it's safe to assume you'll be fine on Tatooine or Nar Shaddaa but Dromund Kaas and Coruscant?

To keep people busy

To extend the lifetime of stale content. People will be running old fp/ops for decorations.

To drain money out of the economy

Housing is a feature that any modern AAA MMO must have. By doing GSH TOR no longer has that glaring hole in the comparison checklists (now that hole is cross server queing)

I think TOR has done passably well with their skeleton crew. It's also becoming more and more apparent that the crew is skeleton.

Edited by Projawa

Chat on Strongholds will NOT be instanced. The Chat you get to read is the one from the planets when Strongholds are located.

I guess it's safe to assume you'll be fine on Tatooine or Nar Shaddaa but Dromund Kaas and Coruscant?

You honestly don't believe the gold spammers will just go there?

They are already whispering... so rude...

Brace for the Hodoring in 3, 2, 1...!

Edited by Callaron

I think TOR has done passably well with their skeleton crew. It's also becoming more and more apparent that the crew is skeleton.

^ This...

I've been saying for some time that this game is in maintenance mode, but the fans here don't want to hear it... they keep saying, "well if you don't like it, leave", or "see, there is new content, housing or PvP space or whatever, the game isn't dead".

Whatever, the last real story we got is over a year old, the last real core content is approaching a year...

It has been too long.

^ This...

I've been saying for some time that this game is in maintenance mode, but the fans here don't want to hear it... they keep saying, "well if you don't like it, leave", or "see, there is new content, housing or PvP space or whatever, the game isn't dead".

Whatever, the last real story we got is over a year old, the last real core content is approaching a year...

It has been too long.

I don't agree with your term.

The game is still putting out new content (and yes, it still counts as content even if you don't like it)

I have an answer to this if you are interested.

The point of housing is to invest, or more accurately stake your claim/become a part of the world you play in.

You get to make a part of the game universe yours. It will be something you have created, something unique. Youre now truly part of the environment instead of simply being a visitor.

That's the best way I can describe it.

I have an answer to this if you are interested.

The point of housing is to invest, or more accurately stake your claim/become a part of the world you play in.

You get to make a part of the game universe yours. It will be something you have created, something unique. Youre now truly part of the environment instead of simply being a visitor.

That's the best way I can describe it.

I would agree, and even buy into the concept, if, the houses were not instanced separately. There was nothing wrong with Lotros neighbourhood system, where you looked and around bought the house you liked the look of, in the location you liked best. If someone else had that spot, you went to another instance until you found your spot vacant.

Without having neighbours, or at the least the simulation of them, it is just another single player dolls house mini game.

I would agree, and even buy into the concept, if, the houses were not instanced separately. There was nothing wrong with Lotros neighbourhood system, where you looked and around bought the house you liked the look of, in the location you liked best. If someone else had that spot, you went to another instance until you found your spot vacant.

Without having neighbours, or at the least the simulation of them, it is just another single player dolls house mini game.

I like dolls.

Errrr...

I mean, I liked dolls. :o

Edited by Darth_Wicked

I was thinking they may try to shadow Wildstar with it.

For those that don't know, Wildstar uses it's housing as a very useful base of operations. Not only rest xp, but also plugs that give great benefits like unique teleports, personal buffs, rare materials, and even some fun useless gizmos.

But, currently, I'm underwhelmed by this housing design and just want 3.0 instead

Housing has no point.

It's way too simplistic and restrictive to cater to the housing and decorating demographic while failing to serve any other function outside of a massive credit and cartel coin sink with a glorified resource bank attached to it. Which in itself is a massive cartel coin and credit sink.

Housing has no point.

It's way too simplistic and restrictive to cater to the housing and decorating demographic while failing to serve any other function outside of a massive credit and cartel coin sink with a glorified resource bank attached to it. Which in itself is a massive cartel coin and credit sink.

Simplistic and restrictive for those who have tried housing in other MMO's, NOT for people who are new to the concept, my case included.