SWOTR Community

Lucroarna

I had a level 50 on Whoever's Pleasure Barge, and I just deleted that toon, as well as my alts, and have cancelled my account.

I love the game.

I love the gameplay.

But I have never, EVER, heard so many obscene, racist, bigot, sexist remarks made in my entire life. I cannot play a game that forces me to watch people talk like disgusting children.

The community in this game, is trash. No respect for it whatsoever. You people who find it funny to make fun of every ethnicity possible, are BAD people. I don't care what you say about what's allowed on the internet. This filth, is the worst I have EVER seen in 10 years of playing online games.

Im disgusted with this communoities behavior, and even more--so by Bioware's allowance of such horrible behavior.

I will never be buying a Bioware product for the rest of my life, and I will be letting every person I know who does play online games, that this game is trash.

Moderate your game. The people you let talk the way they do are degenerates and belong behind bars.

Yours Truely,

10 year MMO Vetran Lucroarna

Well... OP, I can understand your frustration. I have done a few things to limit the garbage you speak of but I will not go into it much as it seems that your mind is made up which is fine.

However, by walking away from the problem, you aren't really helping deal with the problem. It may not be your problem to fix per say but you are giving the offenders a modicum of control over you.

By staying you are not supporting them. In my view, by staying you are supporting others like you who enjoy the game and would make this a better community.

It's too bad you had that experience here, but I have seen and experienced what you are talking about. Its's too bad you left because of the fact that if "the good gamers" leave the game then we are left with only the immature player base. (which will change when high school gets back in session).

I hope you change your mind to come back and if you do those people will still be here but I know for myself my ignore is 3 pages long and my gameplay is much better for it. It does seem the tolerance for such actions in this game is a bit more so than other MMO's i've played. The only thing people can do is keep reporting them to Bioware/EA.

Racial slurs are a vialotion of the EULA in my knowledge which means if BW allows it to continue and the right person gets upset enough, they could hypothetically file a class action suit against them. Hence this...which is the first steps to legalactions taken in MMO's http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18404621...

If this catches on BW better start doing somthing about these trolls or may face prosecution in the future if someone is upset enough to take action.

So report them everytime you see it, and hope BW does something about it becuase this type of behavior is wrong and should be dealt with.

Edited by Philastra
layout

I had a level 50 on Whoever's Pleasure Barge, and I just deleted that toon, as well as my alts, and have cancelled my account.

I love the game.

I love the gameplay.

But I have never, EVER, heard so many obscene, racist, bigot, sexist remarks made in my entire life. I cannot play a game that forces me to watch people talk like disgusting children.

The community in this game, is trash. No respect for it whatsoever. You people who find it funny to make fun of every ethnicity possible, are BAD people. I don't care what you say about what's allowed on the internet. This filth, is the worst I have EVER seen in 10 years of playing online games.

Im disgusted with this communoities behavior, and even more--so by Bioware's allowance of such horrible behavior.

I will never be buying a Bioware product for the rest of my life, and I will be letting every person I know who does play online games, that this game is trash.

Moderate your game. The people you let talk the way they do are degenerates and belong behind bars.

Yours Truely,

10 year MMO Vetran Lucroarna

The community is what you make of it. MMOs are mainstream now and as such the community will reflect all facets of society. The difference is that it gives all members a widespread voice. The people who you'd like to be around are still there, they are just vocal within their guilds and not in fleet general chat.

However, I will point out that right and wrong are relative. Offensive is relative. There is no solid set of things that are right and solid set of things that are wrong. It's all relative.

Good luck with whatever you're headed to do. I don't emphasize with you at all, but I respect your right to have an opinion and to act on it.

I don't think I've ever seen anything like what you're describing even once in the six months I've been playing this game, so it could just be your server. Are you noticing this on the server you transferred to as well?

Tbh, I got nothing but positive things to say about the community and the players I meet in game.

this is the first mmo I've ever played, but in the past I did a lot of fps games on xbox live (halo, mw2, mw3, etc.) and I gotta say the ******s you meet in those games are pretty frikin ridiculous. Maybe im just so use to 14 year old kids yelling profanity at me from playing those games that I don't notice the occasional comment in this.

In summation: never go on xbox live.

Odd, aside from the occasional jibs and jives, I haven't seen anything serious like the OP describes on ToFN. When reading posts like this, I can't help but wonder whether the posters are overly sensitive. If so, why not disable /General and fill up your ignore list? Personally, I hardly ever, if ever at all, take offense. If /General annoys me, I switch to one of my other chat tabs or leave it. I'm fortunate in that I joined a guild with a decent community, and if something annoys me in gchat, which is rarely, I just come out and say it. Other than that, don't take games (and life) so seriously!

I don't think I've ever seen anything like what you're describing even once in the six months I've been playing this game, so it could just be your server. Are you noticing this on the server you transferred to as well?

Tbh, I got nothing but positive things to say about the community and the players I meet in game.

this is the first mmo I've ever played, but in the past I did a lot of fps games on xbox live (halo, mw2, mw3, etc.) and I gotta say the ******s you meet in those games are pretty frikin ridiculous. Maybe im just so use to 14 year old kids yelling profanity at me from playing those games that I don't notice the occasional comment in this.

In summation: never go on xbox live.

Ha! this x 1000.

I play a lot of FPS on XBL.. and yeah, it toughens your skin for any bad talk happening in SWTOR... but to be honest, I've found the community polite, helpful and great ever since launch.. I do play on the Oceanic servers however.. maybe Crocodile Dundee has taught us better manners this side of the ditch, eh cobbers? lol ;)

What seems to be missing is a sense of community. Everyone is in a hurry to level and not take the time to get to know anyone. With the possibilty of getting yelled at SWG had that community and that is what is missing. (Not speaking sandboxes, combat, etc). For everythng that it didin't have there was a sense of community.

Maybe this will explain.

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences with the community, OP. I completely concur on the fact that the community of this game leaves much to be desired. I keep General Chat permanently off, and play with one of those rare Guilds that are polite and troll-free.

I don't stay permanently on Carrick Station like other level 50's, I explore the lush galaxy Bioware created, I do my daily missions, I hunt datacrons, I do PvP and Ops and such with my Guild and friends. Thus, I barely ever see any trolls. However, when I had chat on, I saw everything from racial slurs to religious slurs, mean comments, inappropriate behavior, horrendous foul language, the things that I don't play games like GTA to avoid. I know

Bioware can't do much to repair a broken community, no matter how many patches they introduce, how many exciting new planets and content to distract the trolls for a brief time. Eventually they'll come back, with all their flashy gear and badges, calling people noobs and far worse besides. I don't want to try to change your mind, OP, if this post came across as that, I apologize. I wish you good luck with future communities and games, and hope you meet far better people then those who play this game.

May the Force be with you (and the trolls far away).