7hrs to patch a memory leak!

maracole

Are you really serious, I mean 7 hrs!, there must be much more going on than applying that patch.

Also what happened to putting times in the GMT format, I was just getting used to it and now there in PDT, please for the love of everything that's good leave the time in GMT format :rolleyes:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The great united states military bases its time off GMT

Zero hundred hours zulu is US military speak for GMT 12.00am.

if GMT is good enough for the US military then its damn well good enough for SWTOR

After months telling me that the memory issues were in my system, now we have a patch to fix a "significant memory leak."

While I've know all along that the issue was on their side, I'm dismayed that they tried to play me, a paying customer, for a fool, rather than be honest and try to offer real solutions.

I'm glad it's being fixed, but I'm pissed that they weren't honest about it.

Are you really serious, I mean 7 hrs!, there must be much more going on than applying that patch.

Also what happened to putting times in the GMT format, I was just getting used to it and now there in PDT, please for the love of everything that's good leave the time in GMT format :rolleyes:

Oh, you mean like a controlled shut-down, a full back-up of all in-game systems and databases, any hardware maintenance that needs to be taken care of, any software maintenance and upgrades that need to be performed at a server/router/network level, the login conversion, the server patch installations, controlled turn-on, checking and testing to make sure the basic functions are in-place and match up to the databases, handling any "surprises" that arise, and then the opening up for players again?

Yeah, there's more to do.

After months telling me that the memory issues were in my system, now we have a patch to fix a "significant memory leak."

While I've know all along that the issue was on their side, I'm dismayed that they tried to play me, a paying customer, for a fool, rather than be honest and try to offer real solutions.

Wait.....you believed them....? :confused:

Never trust a word they say; EAware lies almost constantly...thsi is why it is almost April Fools in this game every gold post.

You might want to take a wait and see on this. See what they actually fix. It may not be "your" alleged memory leak.

The reason I say this is because a lot of players do not have a memory leak issue with the game. Yes, clearly some do. It's somehow OS/system dependent. Maybe there are even multiple OS/System/Cleint leak interactions.

I don't believe they ever said "there is absolutely nothing wrong with our game", but they have the metrics. If they see a lot of Windows Vista players with 2GB of RAM trying to play the game, yeah, it's your memory.

4GB of RAM, but only using Windows Vista 32-bit? Yeah, it's your memory.

Even if you have 4GB on Vista 64-bit, yeah, it's your memory. I know this specifically because I just came out of this situation.

But if you have 8GB of RAM on Vista (which I upgraded to), then it isn't your memory. It's a memory leak issue that only occurs if you have the application running for many hours, or go to sleep and leave the game on and it logs you out and sits on the server select screen for several hours.

Memory leaks aren't an issue when you just start up the application... they show up over time.

That being said, they released patch notes several patches ago that stated in very clear English text that they had fixed part of the memory leak issue that should improve performance for some players, and that they weren't done and still looking to be able to fix it entirely.

Edited by Kubernetic

i guess you are just simply clueless about the fact they are changing the login system as well...

i swear if people took the time to read even half as much as they complain people would not be so damn stupid.

Edited by Hizoka

I don't believe they ever said "there is absolutely nothing wrong with our game", but they have the metrics. If they see a lot of Windows Vista players with 2GB of RAM trying to play the game, yeah, it's your memory.

4GB of RAM, but only using Windows Vista 32-bit? Yeah, it's your memory.

Even if you have 4GB on Vista 64-bit, yeah, it's your memory. I know this specifically because I just came out of this situation.

But if you have 8GB of RAM on Vista (which I upgraded to), then it isn't your memory. It's a memory leak issue that only occurs if you have the application running for many hours, or go to sleep and leave the game on and it logs you out and sits on the server select screen for several hours.

Memory leaks aren't an issue when you just start up the application... they show up over time.

That being said, they released patch notes several patches ago that stated in very clear English text that they had fixed part of the memory leak issue that should improve performance for some players, and that they weren't done and still looking to be able to fix it entirely.

The computer in question is my X58 backup system, an "old" i7-940 @ 4.2 GHz and 6GB (now 12 GB) of DDR3 running Windows 7 Pro. Back when I used to game on it, it was capable of ripping through every other game I had without issues, but would "run out of memory" after 1.5-2 hrs of SWTOR gameplay.

Again, what I'm annoyed with is that they pretended like the problem was all on my side when they knew this to be false. I can accept that SWTOR has problems, all I really want is honesty on the part of EA/BioWare.

My head hurts from reading this thread so I'm gonna post this and leave it at that

When do UK clocks change to British Summer Time (BST)?

Clocks go forward 31 March 2013

Clocks go back 27 October 2013

Winter: Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) / Western European Standard Time

Summer: British Summer Time (BST) / Western European Summer Time

BST = GMT+1

Oh, you mean like a controlled shut-down, a full back-up of all in-game systems and databases, any hardware maintenance that needs to be taken care of, any software maintenance and upgrades that need to be performed at a server/router/network level, the login conversion, the server patch installations, controlled turn-on, checking and testing to make sure the basic functions are in-place and match up to the databases, handling any "surprises" that arise, and then the opening up for players again?

Yeah, there's more to do.

Hey, the first intelligent post right here.

This is great news. Just do something else while the servers are down. Go outside and let the sun touch you, you might need it more than you think. Every patch that improves the performance is worth the downtime. I couldn't care less about cartel market related things though.

Cheers!

Edited by LordSitho

The computer in question is my X58 backup system, an "old" i7-940 @ 4.2 GHz and 6GB (now 12 GB) of DDR3 running Windows 7 Pro. Back when I used to game on it, it was capable of ripping through every other game I had without issues, but would "run out of memory" after 1.5-2 hrs of SWTOR gameplay.

Again, what I'm annoyed with is that they pretended like the problem was all on my side when they knew this to be false. I can accept that SWTOR has problems, all I really want is honesty on the part of EA/BioWare.

Wow. Well I never ran out of memory like that so quickly, even with 2.40 GHz Core 2 Quad-core Q6600 with 4 GB on Vista 64-bit, and with only literally less than 1 GB showing available, and sometimes down to 300 MB, and the game still ran well, even in some of those big Republic-Imperial Black Hole confrontations (although it would stutter and slideshow a bit with the REALLY massive Hoth battles. It would take 8-10 hours plus for the leak to get big enough to really start cutting down on performance and causing staggered pauses as the game and Windows was trying to manage the swap.

Computers are funny. You'd think that just because you have a computer with better components, that it should run fine. And many games might, but some might not, and it might be little more than video card drivers which are poorly tuned, or too advanced for the game (since it's created to previous specs).

But that's often not the case, as we can see from our two examples. If it was SOLELY the game, I should have had a much worse experience than you, because my system didn't even have enough RAM to give Vista what it needs, as I can see now that after having upgraded to 8 GB, Vista is very frequently taking up more than 4 GB just for the basic apps and browsers and a few other things I'd always have running. Yet mine was fine.

Maybe it was due to me having a lot of swap space available on the disk, and two physically separate disks, one with the swap file and one with the game files, so the read/write heads weren't competing. Or it could be any of a dozen different components.

Anyway, hopefully this fix makes a big difference.

Edited by Kubernetic

At OP? If they are actually fixing the memory leak and it can be done in a day, you are going to complain about it?

This leak has been around since beta. The only people who don't run into it are people that stay on one world/zone in their play session, don't log in multiple characters, don't play for extended periods, and or have a silly amount of ram.

The memory leak should be priority number 1 as far as fixes. If people play this game for the first time in an extended session and try to exit it and have to use task manager to do it? They are going to say "this game is a piece of junk". Especially if they have voice com up, or a few other programs taking up ram (like lookin up datacrons on a web browser).

If you don't think you have the memory leak? You are wrong. EVERYONE has it, but everyone does not play extended sessions. Press ctrl alt delete and look at ram usage when you first log into the game inside task manager. Go to and from a few planets, and check the memory usage again.

It is higher. Want to know why? Cus there is a memory leak. If they actually fix this thing? It will be the best patch to ever hit SWTOR. Not everyone can make a freakin ram drive so that the game will run well...

Edited by biowareftw

Well F Me........................ Had no intentions of starting trouble.

It was quite reasonable of me to ask that time be represented in GMT, no shot at anyone except the team who put the maintenance message out.

I was not starting a war FFS.

And to the post above, if you can't realize that it doesn't take 7hrs to apply a patch for 1 thing it's not my problem, I was fishing for the rest of the info that should be in the patch notes, like maybe their preparing for 2.0 or something, i dunno... o.0, I was curious though.

FYI, I am also glad their applying a patch for the dreaded memory leak.

Now please close the thread before someone else slang's off at another country, which was never my intent for this thread.

It was quite reasonable of me to ask that time be represented in GMT, no shot at anyone except the team who put the maintenance message out.

And to the post above, if you can't realize that it doesn't take 7hrs to apply a patch for 1 thing it's not my problem, I was fishing for the rest of the info that should be in the patch notes, like maybe their preparing for 2.0 or something, i dunno... o.0, I was curious though.

Now please close the thread before someone else slang's off at another country, which was never my intent for this thread.

A) I wasn't trying to be rude. I was trying to tell you this is the best patch EVER :). Be happy my friend.

B) Memory leaks are a royal pain the @%$ to fix. That is why it took so long. As I said, I reported (and tons of other people ) reported this in beta. Other people chalked it up to "beta programs" running and taking up their memory.

If they can actually fix this sucker before the expansion? I will be very happy. It took years for Age of Conan to fix theirs and the game was dead by the time they did.

Even "polished" (overblown statement imo, since they had YEARS of working with a OLD game engine) WoW has had memory leaks spring up quite often, and they take awhile to fix.

^this

PDT? BST? wut? :confused:

This just proves that bioware are doing this because GMT is the most widely used and standard time zone.... There's no need to fight over country superiority, as to be honest, there was more of that in the last method of doing things as they didn't include every time zone...

It's not like they're switching to BST (British Summer time, just an hour ahead) now, it will remain in GMT, but even if they did switch to BST it would be just as easy to calculate.

And in all fairness, while the first poster after the OP was snarky and damn right rude, he's got a point.

what you did is come to the forums crying about how you have no clue about anything. Instead of educating yourself by doing a simple google search you instead rushed to the forum to prove how ignorant you are. Its not a simple fix for one and that is not the only thing happening with the downtime. So please instead of proving you are clueless about everything instead of crying on the forums take that same time to LEARN something.

Damn if everyone who just cryies on these forums took the same amount of time to learn what it was they were complaining about not only would the forums be 100% better the playe rbase wouldn't constantly prove that they are completely stupid.

I am glad to see them do some patching to fix a memory leak. They are most likely doing some other minor fixes during the 7 hour window. Let them do their work. It's better for all of us. Just be patient guys. I know it's hard :D