Cover, is it too strong?

Xfraze

My friend and I are having a discussion about how powerful cover is, or the potential for it to be extremely powerful. Try as I might to defend cover and say that it's not too powerful, I can't come up with any specific reasons as to "why not". I mentioned something about using group play to take out a sniper or gunslinger, but he countered with "the sniper/gunslinger's group will stop the other group".

So my question is this, how exactly do you counter a sniper or a gunslinger that has decided to put themselves in cover? Specifically, how would a group go about taking down a sniper or a gunslinger who is trying their hardest to prevent them from doing so, while the other team does their hardest to prevent it as well. I know there are some abilities that are supposed to take them ot of cover, but what are those abilities?

Also, the tooltip says that you are unaffected by "most" ranged attacks. What are those ranged attacks?

Lastly, even though a sniper or gunslinger might have cover activated, when they decide to pop up to attack or use an ability, are they making themselves vulnerable? Or do they still get the damage reduction effect of being in cover?

[As a side note, I have no feelings about this either way...I merely enjoy taking the opposite side of any argument my friend makes, even if I'm badly misinformed. I do not, however, enjoy being misinformed so I usually seek out the correct information after I finish being a horrible troll]

Cover's not strong it's a 20% bonus to ranged defense, and when you use it you can't move.......whoop dee doo, that's more of a burden than anything.

it does a lot more than that

it's an interesting mechanic, definitely more powerful than I thought it would be. Too early to say if a sniper/gunslinger in cover is overpowered, but they definitely put out a ton of damage

I think stealth is really the only strong counter against cover classes. Generally, if a Sniper or Gunslinger gets the jump on you from cover, you better hope you can run away and LOS them because you aren't going to beat them 1v1. By the same token, if a melee gets the jump on an out-of-cover Sniper or GS then they are in some real trouble.

You mean in a game orientated around TEAM pvp one class is stronger against another but is also weaker against yet another! holy ****.

sorry but the instant win class is a long forgotten aspect of mmo's, of course each class is going to have it strengths and weaknesses just cause your class is weak against snipers/smugglers don't make them op just makes it more challenging for you.

heh sorry for the sarcasm just annoys me the games been online for a day and already theres such n such is op!

it does a lot more than that

it's an interesting mechanic, definitely more powerful than I thought it would be. Too early to say if a sniper/gunslinger in cover is overpowered, but they definitely put out a ton of damage

I know another benefit to cover is melee classes with "charge" abilities can not charge a sniper/gunslinger in cover.

Unless the Sniper/Gunslinger has perfect cover positioning, you can use LOS to get really close to them without being in their field of fire. You can essentially bunny hop from LOS to LOS while they are in a cast and eventually end up right on top of them. Then again, this might be because all the Snipers I've seen are complete garbage :rolleyes:

You mean in a game orientated around TEAM pvp one class is stronger against another but is also weaker against yet another! holy ****.

sorry but the instant win class is a long forgotten aspect of mmo's, of course each class is going to have it strengths and weaknesses just cause your class is weak against snipers/smugglers don't make them op just makes it more challenging for you.

heh sorry for the sarcasm just annoys me the games been online for a day and already theres such n such is op!

Frost mages.

I never said that cover was over powered. I just said it was extremely powerful and was interested in knowing what the counters were. As I thought, it seems a stealth class is really the best way to deal with them assuming they manage to get cover set up before you can get in range.

I'm not too concerned about 1v1 on account of the fact I'll probably quit this game if they try and balance it around those encounters. I got sick of that stuff in wow

Player: "Waaa, waaa, I can't kill this class every single encounter"

Blizz: "Awww, poor baby. We'll nerf the bad class so you can win. Don't leave us, please don't leave us."

One thing to note is you only receive a 20% defensive bonus against those in your "cone of cover" not just against everyone. Therefore anyone who attacks from behind you or close enough and to the side totally negates this bonus. There are other defensive bonuses to cover through various talents and such however it is again countered enough by the fact it makes us immobile and we can be more easily LoS'ed while using it that its not incredibly overpowered or anything. Also unless currently using the 1min cd for 20sec cc immunity you can be knocked out of cover by any of the multiple knockbacks every single class has as well as susceptible to any of the crazy amounts of cc's that are out there atm.

Any CC knocks you out of cover... warzone terrain in particular isn't terribly good for cover, very easy to simply walk around to an exposed side.

Sniper will certainly be good in some PvP situations, but not because they have cover to hide behind.