Assassin or Sniper?

tobiasackley

Hi currently, i have a level 20 sniper, and a level ten assassin, i was wondering if i could get some advice on which to play - As an example in WoW, i played a Death Knight which i loved (melee with some dots) and a hunter. Both classes would be played as DPS

PVE - which class is in higher demand, and does better damage?

FUN - Which class is funner, and has a more complex (not too complex!) rotation

Levelling - which class is easier and funner to level?

Storyline - Which class has a better storyline?

PVP - (not that important) which class plays better in warzones?

Companions - Which class has the best companions/storylines/romances? (advice on which companion to use while levelling is useful too)

Thanks for the help!

Hi currently, i have a level 20 sniper, and a level ten assassin, i was wondering if i could get some advice on which to play - As an example in WoW, i played a Death Knight which i loved (melee with some dots) and a hunter. Both classes would be played as DPS

For the DPS role, sniper is better. Asssasins make better tanks than DPS in endgame raid settings as a general rule.

Fun is way to subjective. Rotation depends heavily on spec, so it's hard to say.

I don't think there is all that much difference. No "class" is hard to level, although some specs are easier than others.

Snipers do have a bit of an issue in that they don't get their 2nd real companion until around L28-30. Then their healer companion on the early 30s (after that it's easy leveling). The inquisitor gets their 2nd companion a bit earlier, but it's still in the mid 20s.

They both get a tank then DPS companion as their first 2.

Generally speaking, the IA storyline is more engaging and unexpected. It is often considered the best storyline. The inquisitor is more of a standard power struggle and somewhat more predictable.

Overall though, it's very subjective which is better and is mostly personal preference.

Either work, with a lean to assasin b/c of utiliy.

Edited by Infalliable

I've got a 29 assassin and my sniper is 25, and I really like Madness Assassins. It's probably the 2nd most fun I've had playing this game (Jugg tanking is just too cool, sorry :p) As for endgame and pvp I'm not too sure, as I don't do as much, but in FPs while leveling I have more FUN as my assassin.

I played melee classes in WoW, and I just don't enjoy standing back and casting. You played a DK, so you'll know what melee is like. If you LIKE the standing back of the fight then play your sniper, but if it's annoying then try your assassin. Madness is AWESOME dps while leveling.

Here's my opinion:

Sniper does better DPS...and it's ranged which means you can stay out of AOE damage that melee have to eat during some boss battles. Sniper also has a better rep as a DPS and would be more in demand.

I prefer Assassin here as far as 'fun factor' goes.

I think Assassin (stealth makes solo'ing some Heroics possible). You can also avoid some trash mobs that you don't want/need to pull.

Sniper (IA story is my fave)

I like Assassin for PvP. You have lots of utility and can still do decent damage...stealthing around is also fun.

Companions - Which class has the best companions/storylines/romances? (advice on which companion to use while levelling is useful too)

I prefer the IA's companions for their character/storylines (don't know about romance...never done them).

Leveling:

Sniper: Kaliyo (tank) until Dr. Lokin (healer)

Assassin: Khem Val (tank) until Talos (healer). I tend to use Ashara just to kill mobs quickly though.

Both classes get their healers kind of late, which sucks.

So, it's a mixed bag for me.

Edited by stuffystuffs

Assassin has stealth and otherwise great utility, but has crap AoE. Sniper, on the other hand, can have quite good AoE, and I've found that good AoE makes the leveling process much faster, despite not being able to stealth missions for just their objectives. You won't be able to solo heroics with a sniper to the degree you could with an assassin though, primarily because of assassin's superior mez capability.

Edited by Exx-

With a lvl 50 Sniper and a lvl 26 Assassin, my opinion may be quite heavily biased towards Snipers... but here's my personal experience with both (also note, my Assassin is Tank, or Darkness spec)

demand, I'm not sure, as Tanks are generally more in demand, and Assassins can tank, I'd say Assassins... better damage, obviously as my Assassin is a Tank and not DPS... Sniper...

Snipers CAN be complex... their cover mechanism takes some getting used to, and some outright hate it, but personally I love it... rotation can be very flexible depending on the situation, and it really takes practice to get some of the right... as I always forget I had certain skills that I only realize I could've used before the fight ended...

As an assassin, since I'm still not too far, and still have a bad habit of playing a Sniper for longer, I can't say I'm any good at it... but I'm still having fun at being able to jump into the middle of a mob and just tank... without worrying about being overrun XD

levelling - which class is easier and funner to level?

this is EXTREMELY biased, as my Sniper's lvl 50... this HAS to be Sniper... for 2 reasons... 1: see the next part, 2: it's lvl 50... I've been through the story and all the planets already... on my Assassin, I'm basically just repeating some of the parts

I've been hooked on the Agent story since the beginning... great voice acting too! (female agent)

however, I love all the sarcasm from the Inquisitors, and they're quite hilarious sometimes, and is SO MUCH better than the Consular counterpart imho... but overall I think I prefer Agent story but so far, Consular's not so bad... (at least compared to smuggler, which I haven't gotten over lvl 7 yet >.> maybe being the first toon I made and having been completely lost on story, mechanic, what to do in general didn't help... might make a new one in the future)

overall, I prefer Imperial stories vs the Republic ones...

only PvP'ed on my Sniper till 49, and about 3 matches at 50 to get the battlemaster rifle... not touched since... but I think Snipers, if played right, can be quite good... never tried PvP with my Assassin yet, so I can't really tell... but being a tank, I think it plays completely differently

Sniper, you're stuck with Kaliyo for a LOOONG TIME until you finish Alderaan, where you get Vector (only romanceable companion for female agent) and then doc on Taris... then Temple on Hoth and SCORPIO on Belsavis... they each have their own unique and interesting personalities which make them quite awesome (maxed affection on 4/5 of them... only SCORPIO left) then there's the new HK-51, who's quite awesome in his own regard! XD

Assassin, only Khem Val so far... and since I'm tank already, I don't need him much... which is where HK-51 comes in XD just got to Tatooine and met Andronikos but haven't gotten him yet... so can't comment on further companions yet...

Thanks for the help!

my pleasure!

Edited by SumZed