PvP Recruit Gear vs Tionese Gear

RazerCannon

As a relatively new 50 (and PvE only), I am relying on my free Tionese gear to do FP's and dailies and working to collect Columni gear or Black Hole comms to increase my gear stats.

For some reason, I stopped by the PvP vendor and looked at the Recruit gear. It all seemed to be rated 132, which is a bit better than Tionese (126) and almost as good as Columni (136). Moreover, it seemed reasonably priced (around 30K cred per piece) and was available for credits, which I have.

Why wouldn't I just buy Recruit PvP armor and use that on FP and dailies? Is there some attribute of it I am missing?

Thank you for your advice.

I actually tried doing that, and dear god I could not replace that pvp gear fast enough. The only thing I kept equipped was the implants, earpiece and the holocrons. The rest I replaced with the tionese gear purely because I was taking a lot more damage than I should have, and doing less damage than I was supposed to. Once I replaced everything it was so much easier. See the pvp gear is generally to be used against other players, which increases how much damage you do. If you use it against other npc's you will do much less. You would think you would do more damage wouldn't you. Such a shame.

P.S

you should have received a full set of recruit armor for free by going to the pvp quest terminal and picking up the quest, along with enough tionese crystals to buy an almost full set of tionese from a quest sent in the mail.

Edited by Garanaga

You can also get the PvP gear free, just like the Tionese gear. In some cases, the Recruit gear is better than Tionese. Not always, but from time to time. I used mostly Recruit pieces on my Merc healer until I had Columi/Rakata/Black Hole.

Agree that recruit implants and relics are better than what I have, but the rest is tionese... as ugly as it is (at least on trooper) it's still better than the cooler looking recruit gear in pve...

I got 50 with a lot of pvp comms so I could already get a main elite that even with the cristal being expertise and the exp on the other is far better than anything I could have right now...

Either way should be fine. On my latest 50 I just used Recruit gear and gave the Tionese to my healer companion. They're both pretty equally bad and you get rid of it fast enough with the HM flashpoints and SM ops. HM FPs and SM EV/KP can easily be done in either Recruit or Tionese gear. Even the Rakata level ops can be done in Recruit if you know what you're doing, and the rest of your team isn't terrible.

• 2 weeks later...
The recruit gear has slightly better overall specs, counting the expertise as zero value. but less main spec and more endurance (usually) - or armor, I forget which. The other specs are often different, such as perhaps more crit on the Tionese and more power on the Recruit. If you add all the specs together, the Recruit gear is like 5 to 10 total higher per piece than the Tionese. However, the Recruit gear is not moddable. it is complete, though, and the Tionese is not - at least not the free bundle. The Tionese set bonus, which I think is attached even to the free gear, does not seem all that overwhelming. Edited by Jakebnto