What is pushback?

chaosshark

as I understand it ... something like this

When you are channeling an attack/heal, each time you're struck, the channeling gets "pushed back" a bit. You can mitigate that with the skill tree reductions, but never completely get rid of it.

I just know that when I channel a certain heal, it should take ~2.5 secs. But while taking certain/some damage, the slider keeps getting pushed-back so much that it sometimes it feels like it takes 4-5 secs to finish.

To clear things a bit more there is a bit of difference between "channeling" and "casting", but pushback applies to both:

Casting - the bar have to fill up full than the skill takes effect, for example "Dark Heal", pushback: when you are struck the bar goes back a bit thus making you cast the spell longer.

Channeling - you deal damage or heal for the duration of bar filling for example "Innervation" or "Masterstrike" those skills usually have "tics" in which the deliver healing/damage for example in 3 seconds of channeling you get 3 tics of healing so it end up in 1 tic per second, pushback: pushes the bar further thus ending the skill quicker but does not give additional tics - example: same skill as above, you get struck, the bar goes forward you only get 2 seconds of channeling = 2 tics instead of 3.

wow! all this time, i thought it meant actualy getting "Pushed Back" while casting. I was like "eh? I never get pushed back at all" so i never worried about it lol. Thanks for clerifying this.

When your character gets pushed by a force push or similar ability, the official correct term for that is knockback, not pushback.

This is to differentiate which one the tooltips are talking about.

Edited by Eternalnight

To clear things a bit more there is a bit of difference between "channeling" and "casting", but pushback applies to both:

Casting - the bar have to fill up full than the skill takes effect, for example "Dark Heal", pushback: when you are struck the bar goes back a bit thus making you cast the spell longer.

Channeling - you deal damage or heal for the duration of bar filling for example "Innervation" or "Masterstrike" those skills usually have "tics" in which the deliver healing/damage for example in 3 seconds of channeling you get 3 tics of healing so it end up in 1 tic per second, pushback: pushes the bar further thus ending the skill quicker but does not give additional tics - example: same skill as above, you get struck, the bar goes forward you only get 2 seconds of channeling = 2 tics instead of 3.

Yes this is correct.

Fun thing is the bar on channeled abilities is actually pushed forward when getting pushback, but it is still called pushback, since it is part of the same mechanic that pushes the cast bar back for casting time abilities.