Needing Items while grouped

I'd really like to know why its SUCH a big deal for me to need a few items while I'm grouped up? Seriously, if I need 1 item a whole flashpoint SOMEONE is whining. Last night on my Sith Warrior we ran Athiss, after the final boss he dropped a orange modifiable pistol. I have two companions who could use that, so I needed it.

It was SUCH a big deal, and I didn't even win the roll. I didn't care, I can go back and do it again. But seriously, if I need it why should I have to explain myself to 3 or 4 other people just because they needed/greeded it also? They interrogated me like a DEA officer would a drug mule :rolleyes: People need to get over it I think.

Post your character names so people can add you to ignore so as to avoid grouping, its only polite.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because that's just it. The player character NEEDS the pistol because his class can use it and it is an upgrade. You as a Warrior do not NEED it, you WANT it for your companion. Thus you GREED it.

Why should your companion be a priority over a real player that's actually doing work in the group?

1+

Whats your player name in SWTOR so i can /ignore you Cross_Fade?

Edit, Hmm, I think hes main character is Crossfade , A jedi sentinel. (Not that, that came as a shock.)

Edited by oleost

I had a PUG guy I grouped with for a couple of heroics. We ran HM later on, and he as a tank Need on gears not for his class. I whispered him the expected rules and he said he needed it for his companions. He didn't do that for the remaining of the HM.

It's just a game as OP had said earlier. I don't cry in a corner or enter Hulk stage. To be honest, I tire of telling PUGs what's expected if they are all new to rolling or new to a specific HM since most times I usually take lead even as a Sage healer [PUG or pre-group, latter mostly]. I am worn out typing in HMs that I now do not care if someone Need on everything.

I will have a LOL time when F2P debuts.

But I needed it for my companion, therefore I needed it. I don't run through the whole game with 1 guy I found in group finder, I can't worry about him and if what I do is considered rude or breaking an unwritten rule. Because if it was a big deal, it wouldn't be unwritten. I'm playing to win, so I reckon if that means stepping on a few people's toes so be it. I'm gonna try and make me and my team the best possible.

Yeah but you come to a point when you stop using your companion as much except for dailies and they ain't hard.

As someone said why should you need for a companion when someones whose actually running the FP with you needs for his character?

If you asked if you could need if the other players don't need they would probably just say sure go ahead end of moaning but i agree they have a right to moan when you need for a companion rather than a player whose doing it with you that needs gets the item.

Well, I feel sort of silly responding to a troll thread, but I can't help myself after seeing this post:

But as far as group finder is concerned, I'll defiantly pick myself over some random. If this was RL I'm sure most people would rather take something they need, or have a use for, then to let someone completely random have it. If not, oh well that's you loss. But I'm not about to let myself lose out on something I can use.

How old are you? I'm guessing (hoping) a young teenager, because that is one of the most immature, selfish mindsets about life I have ever seen, and it reads like it came from someone with no life experiences. Way to prove that the younger generations are entitled "gimmie gimmie" mindsets who don't spare a thought for anyone else...

Yep, it's just a video game. But your example used the real life example of automatically taking something for yourself no matter what instead of even considering the possibility of allowing someone else to have it who might need it more than you. In a video game, that might just be wasting someone's time and annoying them, but in real life, that could be someone's meal. And you're apparently just as okay with one as the other. Great analogy.

Also consider that you're interacting with real people, even if it is a video game. Some of us actually enjoy being contributing members of society and being decent to people, even in video games, because, gasp--we see no need to annoy someone and piss all over social conventions just because we think we're the most important thing in the world. :rolleyes:

Anyway. The fact I've been here since launch and have only seen one or two people need for companion gear without asking first says a lot. You're in the minority, so maybe you should stop and wonder why that is.

I have never needed anything for my companions, I have never needed something off spec, I have never needed crafting materials. All my companions are Rakata or above. I have off spec rakata/bh gear fully optimized on my dps companion and I have about 20 Biometric Crystal Alloy in my cargo hold and have put at least that many I have put in the guild bank plus I have used more than a few on crafting. You don't have to be a greedy jerk to get gear in this game as a matter of fact, I have geared up faster because people have helped me get gear because I have helped them first. My alt Jedi knight already has mods, enhancements, implants and ear and armor for full rakata and above and she is only level 30. People have been mailing me stuff because they know I will use her and continue to use my sawbones to get them more gear.

I find it hilarious that this guy is leveling and needing FP gear for his comps. It's completely unnecessary. The companion specific gear you get from missions is more than enough to keep your companions viable in solo PvE. It's much better to get presence buffs through datacrons and legacy than it is to use FP gear for them.

But I needed it for my companion, therefore I needed it. I don't run through the whole game with 1 guy I found in group finder, I can't worry about him and if what I do is considered rude or breaking an unwritten rule. Because if it was a big deal, it wouldn't be unwritten. I'm playing to win, so I reckon if that means stepping on a few people's toes so be it. I'm gonna try and make me and my team the best possible.

Well see your tune change when someone snags that sweet token away from ya

I gotta say that the only time I hit Need is for the toon I'm currently on. In fact, I would imagine some people like my approach to gear when I run flashpoints. If I need an item for the toon, I hit Need, otherwise I just pass on it. I get good enough gear for my companions from mission rewards and drops, and pve is usually easy enough that there is no need to try to grab stuff in flashpoints that I don't need. And if I don't win the roll on the stuff I 'Need,' then oh well. It's not like missing one piece of loot is going to be the end of the world. That being said, if I notice someone hitting 'Need' on an item that they can't use, then I won't run with them again because I know that other people might have really wanted a particular piece of gear for themselves, even if it's just because of how it looks.

Whilst everybody is entitled to play how they wish. You have to as a player like it or not, understand that there is an etiquette expected. If your play style falls outside of what is deemed acceptable, your actions can and will in some cases ultimately be at your own detriment.

I can respect a difference of opinion and hell even welcome it, as I love a good debate but when a standpoint (as in several comments) becomes quite contradictory it completely undermines an argument. Rendering it baseless almost.

Culminating in hiding behind the anonymity of a forum handle.

Not willing to give people an informed choice of whether of not to group with yourself, (server, character names) will only culminate in more situations as you originally mentioned.

To talk about the subject in general on the forums (where anonymity is in place) is a clear indication that you acknowledge there is a problem with your choice of preferred play, but don't necessarily wish to be judged at a character level. (Which is exactly where it will ultimately hurt you most).

I would fully expect yourself to be named and shamed ingame which would potentially lead to yourself being added very swiftly to a lot of other players ignore lists. (Whilst I don't condone this form of action, it does happen and I myself would have to think twice about grouping with somebody like yourself)

Luckily however, I haven't experienced any of this (yet), as I group with both of my sons and use a companion for the fourth group member. All heroics and flashpoints done, without problem.

Lastly, being upfront about your intentions beforehand would go someway in avoiding most issue's with other players. But you still may be kicked just because of your viewpoint.

An online game is quite honestly ruled by reputation and integrity.

You sound like such a spoiled, pompous little git right now I want to slap you until your face is as red as a sith

• 2 weeks later...
I've played to game for about half a year dude. It isn't all new to me, this was on my alt. And up until lately, the need stuff wasn't a big deal. And companions are a personal need to me. Douche or not, I need to keep them gear'd to don't I? Yes, I do. I already said thanks for the insight on the matter, but to each his own. I'mma do things my way, you go ahead and be the selfless, righteous person you are portraying. Thats your thing not mine. But I want my companions to be up there just as good as me. I'm not gonna pass on ORANGE gear that they can use. Thats just dumb.

I got a guild to do end-game with, and I'm friends with them so I'm not going to need something if they can use it faster, or whatever before I can. But as far as randoms in group finder are concerned, especially on sub-50 I gotta do what I gotta do to get gear. I'm not upset that they got upset, I just think its a little ridiculous for them to get upset that I needed it, even though they won the roll :rolleyes:

i have a "friend" just like you.......and i hate his guts,

I have never needed anything for my companions, I have never needed something off spec, I have never needed crafting materials. All my companions are Rakata or above. I have off spec rakata/bh gear fully optimized on my dps companion and I have about 20 Biometric Crystal Alloy in my cargo hold and have put at least that many I have put in the guild bank plus I have used more than a few on crafting. You don't have to be a greedy jerk to get gear in this game as a matter of fact, I have geared up faster because people have helped me get gear because I have helped them first. My alt Jedi knight already has mods, enhancements, implants and ear and armor for full rakata and above and she is only level 30. People have been mailing me stuff because they know I will use her and continue to use my sawbones to get them more gear.

can i hang out with you and your friend sometime :D

but really, you and your friends sound like really great players, love the way your so thoughtful of the others, enough to MAIL RAKATA GEAR to each others alts, thats awsome, also this post makes me feel bad i took tionese gear for my jaesa :(

EDIT: i did ask the group beforehand tho.

Edited by TekAlcon

enough to MAIL RAKATA GEAR to each others alts,.
well I should have said Rakata level mods, enhancements and armor. However, now it doesn't matter, she is level 45 now and has BH/Campaign level gear with a few level 27 mods thrown in and even my main hasn't been past the 2nd boss in HM TfB. However, the A team has and we have been farming mats in HM EC and SM TfB.

Still have to figure out how to get a higher hilt, ear and implant...Hate BoP. Main still has 250 bh comms and I can't use them for my alts. Guess I could try my luck at RE. :p

Edited by mikebevo

I personally think companions requirement of gear should be put on the 'allowed to need' because a gimped companion is a gimped player when doing dailies and solo-questing.

If this needs to be changed, then bioware needs to make companions' gear automatically level with them, that way, you would just need to worry about gearing yourself.