Never Played SWTOR - Why All The Hate?

Vanchatron

I'm a big fan of MMOs, having played WoW for several years, then on to games such as GW2, TERA, The Secret World etc. I'm now bored of the MMOs that I HAVE played, and am looking for a place to call my new "home" so to speak, in gaming terms.

I've never really been a fan of the Star Wars franchise whatsoever. Yes, I've seen all of the Star Wars movies including the new prequels etc, although that was around 10 years ago. I don't really remember them much at all, and they didn't particularly interest me enough for SWTOR to grab my attention when it was first released.

Obviously now it's over a year since it was released (or more?) and having been burnt out on other MMOs, I'm looking to try out SWTOR. Therefore, I purchased the Digital Deluxe edition on Origin. I know that the game has gone F2P now, although I figured if I'm gonna be playing an MMO, I may aswell get the most out of it therefore I'll probably be paying subscription anyway once my included 30 days has run out.

I'm just wondering though why there is so much negativity/hate for this game all over the Internet. I often post over at MMORPG.com and there's literally a thread there on the main page pretty much every day saying what a disaster SWTOR is and how the game is dead etc etc. The same thing happens to WoW, yet people still play it even with all the negativity surrounding it, so I'm just wondering why exactly SWTOR has such a bad rap.

I've not delved far into it as I've never really been interested in the game, so whenever I saw a thread about SWTOR I'd just ignore it more often than not. Now that I'm interested in playing though, I'm just wondering what all the hate is about. I mean is it REALLY that bad or did people just have too high expectations?

I've purposely put off reading much about SWTOR at all, so that once I log in and create my character later today I can hope to be pleasantly surprised instead of hyping myself up only to be disappointed, which seems to be the case with a lot of SWTOR players. Infact, I don't really know much about the game at all. The thing is, if I hadn't have noticed all the hate surrounding the game, I believe I'd have been drawn to it even sooner. It's just the fact that it was Star Wars in general (which I've never really been a "fan" of so to speak) and people were constantly bashing the game.

Now having purchased the Digital Deluxe Edition, I actually can't wait to start playing, but just figured I'd try to find out exactly why people have been talking about the game like it was such a disappointment. I'm a big fan of themepark MMOs, albeit if there WERE any decent sandboxes out at the moment I'd probably play that, although AFAIK there isn't. Therefore, SWTOR seems to be the best choice for me at the moment, having never tried it out.

Just ignore the hate - just see if you personally like it.

I, for one, usually don't like flimsy stories within games, and would rather just "get on with it" rather than "watching cut scenes" ... but SWTOR has been different for me. It really can be a fun ride of stories, relationships (you to quest givers as well as companions, etc) and such.

So, does SWTOR have issues, of course. Any piece of software will have bugs and such, and they're never fixed as fast as you'd like. And at times the creative team might differ from you as direction/path the game goes. But overall, I find I really like taking on the different personas of my many alts as they become their own person. Past level 50, the personas you've crafted fade to the background, and it becomes more like the endgame grind I normally don't enjoy very much. But others will find that this is the best part of the game, and stories/leveling is blah.

So please, give it a try and see if it's for you. I think the very silent majority who play the game do enjoy it a lot, even though there are normal game-play annoyances/bugs/etc that you just live with. They're not nearly as bad as people cry about on the forums.

Like all MMO's they have their good and bad points, but some people tend to only focus on the bad and that's why you hear so much nonsense. Sure I could name plenty of things wrong with the game, but there's also loads to be praised about. I've been playing for several months now and still very fond of the game.

These are all good responses. I tell people they should just play it and not worry about what other people think.

That's actually a good rule in everyday life, too. Critics usually have issues :rolleyes:

You really don't need any Star Wars knowledge to play, although you might miss a few inside jokes. But as long as you don't hate it, you'll be fine. (And as long as you don't hate on people who DO love it...)

Entitled gamers that think everything should be exactly as they think it should be mostly. There are some bugs in the game (to be expected) But, a great game overall.

^^^ This above all else.

I grant that they are all entitled to their opinion, but to hate on something and believe that EVERYONE should feel the way they do is just...wrong.

The best thing any new player can do is to play the game and judge for yourself.

Well that's gotta change :D

I find it simultaneously hilarious and pathetic that some people are so dedicated to finding a way to crap in their own luxuries. Oh how horrible life is......poooooor me.....everybody sucks......

all I hear is a 3 year old wailing, "I never get what I want"

Just play for 30 days, get your first 50, and see what you think. After a month you'll either see why people complain and agree, or you'll see why they complain and disagree.

Or you won't see anything to complain about at all. There are a lot of complaints about things most players will never see. It's like some players go out of their way to find something wrong and then gripe about it.

A lot of people have been playing MMOs for a long time. I personally started with Star Wars galaxies back in 2003, progressing through WOW, Rift, the Secret World Beta and several other games.

I think at the heart of the matter is that people have expectations of what the game should have. Things like the way the armor should look, or how crafting or the groupfinder should work. So people complain because for whatever reason their expectations have not been met. They bring these ideas of the way things should be from other games.

What they never complain about is that you can quick travel to any location on a planet once you discovered it. You don't have to bind to just one. Crafting doesn't require you to waste your play time waiting on a timer. You set your companions to it and go do what you came to do. They never complain about not having to grind XP in order to level. There is more than enough game content to keep you leveled correctly and on the game progression track. They never complain about each class having it's own unique story to tell.

As someone that posted before me said, just play it. See if you like it, and if you do, welcome to the Star Wars universe. If you don't like it, thanks for giving it a try and allowing this part of the Star Wars universe into your life for a short time.

If you end up on Shadowlands server, look me up. I am Starri, Bida or Wistarr on the Republic side, and Wanna or Bobavette on the Imperial.

Happy Gaming.

Edited by Bida
I used a bad word that got bleeped.

Play "Star Trek: Online" and then come back. While "SW:TOR" has a fantastic storytelling element, "Star Trek: Online" has a better setup for free to play, exchange, currency, character customizations, space combat, etc... I spent over $200 on "Star Trek: Online", for I didn't feel pressured into buying anything. Even though I have signed up for a thirty day subscription, I am still finding "Star Wars: The Old Republic" to be too expensive and restricted. After I spend a few months with "SW: TOR", I am going to go back to "Star Trek: Online". I will be heading back on May 1st.

Don't get me wrong. I love "Star Wars: The Old Republic's" storytelling; however, I think the game has serious obstacles to overcome. Once I switched over to being a subscriber/preferred customer, I realized BioWare made some serious mistakes with the free to play restrictions.

Unlike the $200+ I invested into "Star Trek: Online", I have plans on only spending $60 on "Star Wars: The Old Republic". I get more from "Star Trek: Online", as a free to play member, than I do with "Star Wars: The Old Republic".

It just happened that way.

Edited by Linyivee

I'm a new player myself. I started here in December after 8yrs playing City of Heroes. (And still would be if NCSoft wasn't run by morons who think closing a profitable game is a good idea, but I digress). The game here has it's quirks and issues but is actually quite well done I think. I've enjoyed all the storylines and such thus far. Talk to every NPC you can, there's lots to do. My main complaint is the customer service. The CS here is without a doubt, horrible. I suspect some of it is a massive lack of staffing but $DIETY help you if you need real support with an issue. Plan to wait awhile and probably have to fight to get a resolution. The CS folk they do have are just not that helpful. And while exceptions do exist of course, the community here is pretty nice, helpful and friendly. Don't think I've had any issues with folk in the game and some have been quite generous and helpful when I needed an assist. So don't believe everything you read bashing the game.

Play "Star Trek: Online" and then come back.

I played STO when it first released (only subs, no F2P), and thought it was decent, too. I got tired of the lack-of-graphics on the planetary missions (oh look, a cave with the same 5 terminals I have to click in every one), but the space combat and stories were quite nice.

I tried it (now as F2P) again about 6 months ago, wanting to see if they had improved the under-ground missions and such and found they hadn't addressed those type of content things, and introduced even more currencies (was too many at launch and it's just gotten worse!). Some of the other additions were quite nice, actually. But my real problem was now it seemed to crash a lot. No idea why, but it now crashed (locking up) my PC almost every game play session. I still enjoyed the space missions, but the persistent crashing made me give up again.

I'm a new player myself. I started here in December after 8yrs playing City of Heroes. (And still would be if NCSoft wasn't run by morons who think closing a profitable game is a good idea, but I digress). The game here has it's quirks and issues but is actually quite well done I think. I've enjoyed all the storylines and such thus far. Talk to every NPC you can, there's lots to do. My main complaint is the customer service. The CS here is without a doubt, horrible. I suspect some of it is a massive lack of staffing but $DIETY help you if you need real support with an issue. Plan to wait awhile and probably have to fight to get a resolution. The CS folk they do have are just not that helpful. And while exceptions do exist of course, the community here is pretty nice, helpful and friendly. Don't think I've had any issues with folk in the game and some have been quite generous and helpful when I needed an assist. So don't believe everything you read bashing the game.

This ^

I'm also a ex CoH player, I still miss that game.

Some of the other additions were quite nice, actually. But my real problem was now it seemed to crash a lot. No idea why, but it now crashed (locking up) my PC almost every game play session. I still enjoyed the space missions, but the persistent crashing made me give up again.

During my first twelve months on "Star Trek: Online", I have never suffered from any sort of computer crash. Before I switched over to "SW: TOR" (last week), I did experience "STO's" recent two day patch shutdown. rofl... I am waiting for May to arrive, for they will be releasing the Romulan storyline. *crosses fingers*

I do not want to tell BioWare what to do, for I do not think I am entitled to anything. I have better things to do than to list demands. If a publisher/developer's presentation does not speak to me, I will just find another game to invest my time and money. Its that simple.

Video games are like movies. If the movie does not deliver the overall goods, the only option you really have is to find another movie. Its all about personal tastes.

Edited by Linyivee

Or you won't see anything to complain about at all. There are a lot of complaints about things most players will never see. It's like some players go out of their way to find something wrong and then gripe about it.

You left off the part where they come to the forums and exaggerate about how irritating their particular problem is, how many players it effects, and how they're not going to play or pay until the problem is fixed.

Everybody wants their problem fixed first !!

The complaints almost always boil down to just a few things.

1) Players not wanting to put the effort and time into playing enough to earn the best rewards in the game.

2) weird performance issues caused by strained computer hardware with a hard drive full of crud installed on it.

3) weird performance issues caused by Uber 7334 gaming systems that are a mess of poorly configured obscure hardware and not worth the money spent while assembling them. (has to be BW/ can't be my sooper system ~ I A IT JEENIEUS)

3) BW not implementing features than only a tiny fraction of the player base would actually get any use out of.

The truth is, they're here foruming so their carpal tunnel can cool off............because the game is a whole lot of fun.