Playing with friends (again)

bluesmoosh

Sorry everyone, I know this has been addressed but I really need it broken down :confused:

I just started playing with the intention of grouping with a couple friends. I'm a smuggler and they're a Jedi Knight and Consular. I get that the starter planets are class-specific so we can't hook up there (although we did unintentionally, lol). What happens after? We are all at Coruscant and we all seem to be running our own questlines that do not match up at all. My Consular friend is lvl 33 (myself and the Knight are 11), and he said that the class quests just seem to go on indefinitely... at least he's still running them.

So, what happens? Do the quests eventually line up (and if so, when?)? Can you ditch the class quests? I'm afraid that if I do that, the storyline will stop progressing. Is the endgame content dependent on class quests? We really want to play together, so... we're all a bit confused and a little frustrated.

(EA if you're listening, PLEASE try to make it easier for people to play together ;))

What happens after? We are all at Coruscant and we all seem to be running our own questlines that do not match up at all. My Consular friend is lvl 33 (myself and the Knight are 11),

There is your first problem - the level disparity. If you team up with your LVL 33 friend, you either won't get much XP (if you do missions for the LVL 11 characters), or you and the Knight will stand around and try not to die (if you do missions leveled for the LVL 33). I would recommend you tell the LVL 33 to roll an alt and catch up with you on Coruscant.

and he said that the class quests just seem to go on indefinitely... at least he's still running them.

Class quests go on to end game, yes.

However, all planets have planet quests that can be run by anyone. Talk to anyone with a yellow triangle over their head and they will give you their quest. You can tell the difference between a class quest and a planet quest by looking in your quest log. (They will be listed as "Class" or under the name of a planet.)

Can you ditch the class quests?

You can't abandon them. You can level to 50 without doing them, if you PvP, run FP, or do space missions. However, you won't get your companions, meaning your ability to do crafting will be reduced. You'll have to go to planets anyway to get crafting materials, though (unless you buy from the GTN).

There is your first problem - the level disparity. If you team up with your LVL 33 friend, you either won't get much XP (if you do missions for the LVL 11 characters), or you and the Knight will stand around and try not to die (if you do missions leveled for the LVL 33). I would recommend you tell the LVL 33 to roll an alt and catch up with you on Coruscant.

Right, yeah I get that about the level disparity. I was more thinking in terms of myself and the Knight; the 33 was just going to run around with us till we caught up.

Class quests go on to end game, yes.

However, all planets have planet quests that can be run by anyone. Talk to anyone with a yellow triangle over their head and they will give you their quest. You can tell the difference between a class quest and a planet quest by looking in your quest log. (They will be listed as "Class" or under the name of a planet.)

What about getting to the quests? I had a series of quests on Nar Shaddaa that I was able to share with the Knight, but the taxi routes were not open. He had to run around doing random other quests till they opened. Is there another work around that we haven't seen?

You can't abandon them. You can level to 50 without doing them, if you PvP, run FP, or do space missions. However, you won't get your companions, meaning your ability to do crafting will be reduced. You'll have to go to planets anyway to get crafting materials, though (unless you buy from the GTN).

That's kind of what I figured. Oh well... maybe BW will make grouping more flexible in a future patch (HINT!).

Thanks! :)

Sorry everyone, I know this has been addressed but I really need it broken down :confused:

I just started playing with the intention of grouping with a couple friends. I'm a smuggler and they're a Jedi Knight and Consular. I get that the starter planets are class-specific so we can't hook up there (although we did unintentionally, lol). What happens after? We are all at Coruscant and we all seem to be running our own questlines that do not match up at all. My Consular friend is lvl 33 (myself and the Knight are 11), and he said that the class quests just seem to go on indefinitely... at least he's still running them.

So, what happens? Do the quests eventually line up (and if so, when?)? Can you ditch the class quests? I'm afraid that if I do that, the storyline will stop progressing. Is the endgame content dependent on class quests? We really want to play together, so... we're all a bit confused and a little frustrated.

(EA if you're listening, PLEASE try to make it easier for people to play together ;))

After your starting planet, you will indeed meet up on Coruscant. Your class quests are indeed individual, but they do have a similar track record.

I will try to explain this as easily as possible:

Each planet is usually divided into sections. These sections can be identified by the binding points for travelling and/or the Taxi Access Terminals. All of the class quests follow this logic.

With that in mind, you and your friend can easily level together in the following manner:

0. Make sure you are grouped.

1. You both arrive on the planet at the same time.

2. You both go to your respective class quest giver on the planet.

3. When the quest has been given, you meet up again.

4. If desired, pick up other quests together (the triangles on the maps are quest givers that everyone can access).

5. Check your map: You should be able to see both your missions as well as the missions of your partner (if you are grouped). Notice how they are usually not in the exact same location, but they are on the same section of the map.

6. Go do all the quests that are on the map. Both you and your friends should also help each other with your respective class quests.

7. When all quests have been done (note: each mission will say something like "Return to xxx" or "Speak to xxx") go back to hand in all the quests you have fullfilled. (note again: on the map, your quest givers will now show as a triangle with a green center).

8. You have now finished a section of a planet together. Your class quest will send you to your next section, and usually, your partner will receive the same kind of message in his/her class quest.

9. Do the same for the next section :-)

As for your Level 33 friend. Don't let him group with you unless you are Level 30+ as well. He will seriously gimp you and your friend in the following ways:

- If you group with him, your experience gainings will be significantly reduced, meaning you will very soon be underleveled for the content, and he as well as he's not gaining any experience.

- If he keeps on destroying all your enemies and you do nothing, by the time you're 30+, you will have no idea what your class can do.

Good Luck and if you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you! That does make more sense. I think part of the problem may have been that we would separate and go off to different planets, and then meet up after we had picked up quests. Of course by that time I would generally forget where I got them in the first place, so I wouldn't be sure where to send my friend to start looking for them.

Thanks again. I know it seems rudimentary but this game is so complex that sometimes the forest is impossible to see. :)

Thank you! That does make more sense. I think part of the problem may have been that we would separate and go off to different planets, and then meet up after we had picked up quests. Of course by that time I would generally forget where I got them in the first place, so I wouldn't be sure where to send my friend to start looking for them.

Thanks again. I know it seems rudimentary but this game is so complex that sometimes the forest is impossible to see. :)

No problem. I only figured this out when leveling my second character (it was also my very first MMO) so I'm happy to enlighten anyone who asks :-)

• Dev Post
After your starting planet, you will indeed meet up on Coruscant. Your class quests are indeed individual, but they do have a similar track record.

Each planet is usually divided into sections. These sections can be identified by the binding points for travelling and/or the Taxi Access Terminals. All of the class quests follow this logic.

With that in mind, you and your friend can easily level together in the following manner:

4. If desired, pick up other quests together (the triangles on the maps are quest givers that everyone can access).

5. Check your map: You should be able to see both your missions as well as the missions of your partner (if you are grouped). Notice how they are usually not in the exact same location, but they are on the same section of the map.

6. Go do all the quests that are on the map. Both you and your friends should also help each other with your respective class quests.

7. When all quests have been done (note: each mission will say something like "Return to xxx" or "Speak to xxx") go back to hand in all the quests you have fullfilled. (note again: on the map, your quest givers will now show as a triangle with a green center).

8. You have now finished a section of a planet together. Your class quest will send you to your next section, and usually, your partner will receive the same kind of message in his/her class quest.

As for your Level 33 friend. Don't let him group with you unless you are Level 30+ as well. He will seriously gimp you and your friend in the following ways:

- If you group with him, your experience gainings will be significantly reduced, meaning you will very soon be underleveled for the content, and he as well as he's not gaining any experience.

- If he keeps on destroying all your enemies and you do nothing, by the time you're 30+, you will have no idea what your class can do.

I have nothing to add to this thread other than to say awesome job on this SpoeMeister. This is why we have the New Player Help forum :)

Seriously, very concisely written and very helpful. Thank you :)

I have nothing to add to this thread other than to say awesome job on this SpoeMeister. This is why we have the New Player Help forum :)

Seriously, very concisely written and very helpful. Thank you :)

Wow, I'm a bit taken back by this! Thank you and you're welcome :-D

I want to comment on point 2. in case it is unclear: you can go to the class quest givers -together- you can enter the phase together, watch the scenes together too. You can't pick dialogue options in each other's class story, but since you're there together you could comment on what the other can/should chose to do or say.

You can level from 1 to 50 while being together 100% of the time in all missions, class story or not.

Yes :ph_good_post:

I'd like to add that this post is very well written and full of excellent information. If we could vote on great posts/replies you would have my vote +1. This contains everything I would have replied with and more!

EXCELLENT :sy_title:

I want to comment on point 2. in case it is unclear: you can go to the class quest givers -together- you can enter the phase together, watch the scenes together too. You can't pick dialogue options in each other's class story, but since you're there together you could comment on what the other can/should chose to do or say.

You can level from 1 to 50 while being together 100% of the time in all missions, class story or not.

Yes, I forgot to mention that, but it didn't seem relevant to me because I tend to play all the classes myself and I didn't want story spoilers. Secondly, my friend and I wanted also to level quite efficiently so instead of "backseatting" each others story, we'd just deliver the class quests ourselves and meet up again.

Yes :ph_good_post:

I'd like to add that this post is very well written and full of excellent information. If we could vote on great posts/replies you would have my vote +1. This contains everything I would have replied with and more!

EXCELLENT :sy_title:

Thank you very much for the compliment.