SWTOR For PS4?

nadeem

I dont see the point. I dont think I would enjoy the game as much trying to play with a gamepad. What's wrong with your PC?

Want it displayed on your TV? Get a video card with an HDMI output or a TV with PC input jack.

That wont be a sticking block for next gen, the ps4 is basically based on pc architecture, it would be as easy to control with a keyboard and mouse on the console as it is on the pc.

With the added bonus of easier coding due to a normalised specification.

I'm not suggesting swtor will appear on PS4 , or indeed the next xbox, but based on the released information, I will say the PC will not necessarily be the de facto platform for MMO's in the future.

I play on an Xbox gamepad on my PC. I prefer it to be honest, so much fun. And you can map it using XPadder so it's perfect.

Do you have enough buttons for most of your abilities? Do you use the sticks to mouse look and right-click mouse move? I could see it being possible for the most part, but then comes the typing in gen chat or talking in group. Not everyone is going to be using those voice chatting options. Or the less frequently used abilities when not in battle such as quick travel or transport to fleet or summoning pets. The keyboard and mouse are nice to have to fall back on.

That wont be a sticking block for next gen, the ps4 is basically based on pc architecture, it would be as easy to control with a keyboard and mouse on the console as it is on the pc.

With the added bonus of easier coding due to a normalised specification.

I'm not suggesting swtor will appear on PS4 , or indeed the next xbox, but based on the released information, I will say the PC will not necessarily be the de facto platform for MMO's in the future.

Playing an MMO on the next gen consoles sounds fine for the future, but I wouldnt buy one for that sole reason. If I already have a PC, I dont need a console. If only there wasnt platform exclusive games... in the perfect world, every game should be released on PC, PS, and Xbox. The Wii and PS-Move and Kinkect could then share motion games titles. Of course that will never happen.

The main issue of MMO's like swtor being on consoles is not graphic power, its input limitations. Swtor is not possible with a gamepad, thus it will never be on a gamepad platform.

The reason Diablo got ported was because it was designed to be gamepad friendly to begin with.

Edited by Doctoglethorpe

I play on an Xbox gamepad on my PC. I prefer it to be honest, so much fun. And you can map it using XPadder so it's perfect.

Theres no way you play Swtor with only a gamepad. I could see a silly combination of gamepad and keyboard being possible (not gonna happen on a console), but not pure gamepad.

Theres no way you play Swtor with only a gamepad. I could see a silly combination of gamepad and keyboard being possible (not gonna happen on a console), but not pure gamepad.

It's quite possible to play this game on a gamepad.. That's the way I have been playing for the past year.. I use Pinnacle Game Profiler and have all my abilities mapped to buttons. Each button has 2 abilities mapped to it.. Example.. Quick tap on x button gives 1 ability, holding the button down does another.

Using the left and right triggers shift to a different level of the gamepad leaving all the buttons to be mapped to even more abilities.. I much prefer playing this way to using the mouse and keyboard.

The main issue of MMO's like swtor being on consoles is not graphic power, its input limitations. Swtor is not possible with a gamepad, thus it will never be on a gamepad platform.

The reason Diablo got ported was because it was designed to be gamepad friendly to begin with.

I have 40 ability's mapped to my gamepad and I can move my mouse cursor , jump etc. The only time I need a keyboard ( which i can easily have on my knee from PSO and PSU days ) is for the "C" , "I" and "M" buttons. Still I'm not sure SWTOR will come out on the PS4 but it would work.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

• 8 months later...
No, mmo on console are insanely high in term of cost, maintenance and are not worth it.

I have no idea why there is a problem. With a simple 32bit program I can play SWTOR with my PS3 Controller. I have played that way since launch. and I have no problem with abilities or switching between them.

I can even play my sniper without a hitch.

Problem solved problem staying Solved Sith Lead the way...

Actually there is a way... I play on my PS3 controller with Xpadder as well.

Since you dont believe... Heres the proof.https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/996041_10151965613748374_1651618131_n.jpg

And since XBOXONE is basically gonna have Windows 8 as the OS.... Theres really no reason why you wont be able to play SWTOR on at least the XBOXONE.

Edited by Thyvokka

PS4 Specs have now been revealed and 8 core x86 cpu and an amd gpu with 8gigs of gddr5. Do you think it will be ported?

Just because it uses an x86 based CPU does not mean that programming for it would be anything like programming for an x86 PC. When you write programs, there are basically 2 ways to code. You can write code that talks directly to the hardware, or you can write code that talks to the operating system that sits between the hardware and your program. Neither of these thing would be an option for porting SWTOR to the PS4.

If the SWTOR engine was coded to talk directly to the hardware, it would be too hardware-bound to run on the wide range of PC's that people have. It would be tied strongly to a specific CPU, memory controller, RAM setup, GPU, etc. So while you could get away with a hardware coded program on a console, it's virtually impossible to make a complex game viable on PC's coding it this way.

When you write program code for an Operating System, your program become infinitely more portable because your program tells the OS what it needs and the OS talks to the hardware and drivers to make it happen. This is why you need to keep your system drivers, DirectX drivers, and the OS up to date. Because when they fall too far behind, then the OS won't understand how to make the hardware do what the game/program is asking it to do.

The problem with writing code to the OS, is that a PS4 doesn't run Windows or any other PC operating system. It runs it's own customized OS - by Sony. It doesn't have WHQL ATI drivers for the GPU. It doesn't have DirectX. It doesn't have a Windows API. It doesn't have anything that the SWTOR engine knows how to talk to.

In the end, "porting SWTOR to the PS4" really means "writing an entirely new SWTOR engine from the ground up to run on the PS4" or "researching all the available MMO engines for the PS4 to see what engine comes the closest to the current SWTOR engine and then porting all the art assets, sound assets, AI scripts, tool widgets, and other misc game parts to that new engine for the PS4."

Unless there is a version of the Hero engine for the PS4 that is really close to the current state of the SWTOR engine and/or unless someone wants to throw a whole lot of time and money at getting a PC MMORPG to run on the PS4, it's not likely to happen. The technical hurdles are just too great to make it feasible. Especially now that it's an F2P game without a "guaranteed" income from subscriptions. Not to mention the part where there would inevitably be some sort of fee the player would have to pay in order to get access to the Playstation Network to get the game connected to the servers.