Biggest flaw in the game, How can a 50 just camp 30's? NEEDS FIXING!

Jae_Sun

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very well said. If you're not in a guild, who the hell are you asking for help on Tatooine?

Also... that same bizarre lack of logic applies to those who claim to gank to mystically summon the level 50 meat-eaters that are just hanging out in Mos Ila for S&Gs. Give me a break.

When I used to kill gankers and griefers as a passtime, there was one rule almost universally true about them---they ran or hid when a real fight showed up. They were never happy to see me. I spoiled their fun, I didn't enhance it.

There is a severe flaw in your epeen-stroking logic.

You should get a level 50 from your guild to help you. That's what we do in our guild if our lower level players are getting ganked.

People like him exist.

And when people like him do this, world PvP happens. That's why "gankers" as you call them kill lowbies in an attempt to start trouble sometimes.

No, that's not always the case. Sometimes, people are also just jerks.

Either way, the OP agreed to deal w/ both of these types when he opted to create a character on a PvP server. It does not "need fixing". He just needs to roll onto a PvE server.

Personally, I love troublemakers. I don't like to kill lowbies myself, but nobody has qualms w/ killing the guy killing lowbies. PvP is PvP, and no matter how you cut it, somebody's gotta be the bad guy. : )

Edited by Varicite

Lol, If you were grief can't say I apologize.

Some 50's were griefing one of my guild members so I of course went back to help her out. Their 50's were gone so we went to the imp spaceport to do the same thing. He was in "SICK" guild and they got 4 of their 50's against 3 of ours. Then we defeated them a few times, and then they called 2 more and we were then defeated. If you were caught in the "SICK" vs "Attrition" war it's not our fault. We'll be posting video of the 50's vs 50's matches on YouTube. I'm sure you could've gotten away while we were dead, but we saw a few lvl 30's just chilling there. Once we res'd you were free game.:D

Reroll on a PvE server - I hate this answer, because I'd hope people wouldn't do this, thought it's the surest solution. It's sad this happens because there's absolutely no challenge in it, and the only purpose is to harrass other players.

This touches on a fundamental issue I have with this game. A level30 can basically do nothing to a level50. I've only tried attacking the champion mobs that defend enemy installations, and guess the result would be about the same: you'd probably miss 80+% of the time and deal next to no damage. So, even if I wanted to forge ahead and try for big experience/credit gains by taking a lowbie group to go take on a planet 10 levels above me, I can't. The game mechanics don't seem to allow it. Same for hunting higher level oponents, you can only do it to a point. If they did, the replay value of the PvE past your home planet would improve, and it would be a hilariously great reason to make a group: design the best one you can to try content way past you. Level restrictions on gear being so tight further this issue.

There's a thought, have a Legacy option that reduces the level requirement of non-pvp gear.

Sorry, strayed off topic there.

consider yourself lucky that your playing a carebear mmo. Us grown folk in real mmos would not only gank you but also take your lootz and when you PM us crying we would be cool offer to give your stuff back to have you show up again and get ganked again for being naive and coming back like someones really going to give you your loot back because your feelings are hurt...

There is a severe flaw in your epeen-stroking logic.

What is the flaw? You didn't elaborate. If you mean the apparent contradiction in saying 50s don't hang out on Tatooine waiting to play white knight (they really don't) and me saying I used to make a hobby of protecting lowbies from gankers... the latter was in WoW, not in this game. Just not enough World pvp going on in TOR to make such a role necessary. =/

People like him exist.

And when people like him do this, world PvP happens. That's why "gankers" as you call them kill lowbies in an attempt to start trouble sometimes.

No, that's not always the case. Sometimes, people are also just jerks.

Either way, the OP agreed to deal w/ both of these types when he opted to create a character on a PvP server. It does not "need fixing". He just needs to roll onto a PvE server.

Fundamentally I agree. PvP servers in games like this have become synonymous with high levels griefing lowbies rather than any true competitive world PvP. I miss the days of WoW or even Warhammer where you could lose a few hours in a fun skirmish for a questing area without even realizing where the time went.

That said, I feel bad for someone like me (who might roll on a PvP server expecting... you know, fun world pvp) without realizing the only 'competition' they are ever likely to encounter is a level 50 griefer.

Personally, I love troublemakers. I don't like to kill lowbies myself, but nobody has qualms w/ killing the guy killing lowbies. PvP is PvP, and no matter how you cut it, somebody's gotta be the bad guy. : )

Once in a blue moon back in Stranglethorn or Ashenvale or some other locale I'd respond to a call for help to find that the griefer really did in fact want a real fight and was using lowbies to bait someone like me out. I give them credit as is due. But man, I can count those times on one hand compared to the vast number that would simply stealth, hearth or run when someone like me showed up (and no epeen here, I'm no PvP pro. But beating the kind of PvPers who enjoy this sort of passtime is usually not difficult for a geared, experienced and competent player).

TL;DR griefing lowbies =/= PvP, it's just pathetic griefing. That said, in this game, there's no reason for someone like myself or the OP to ever roll on a PvP server.

Sounds like alot of you folks have never played on a pvp server for EQ2. oPVP IMO, is probably the most exciting when in a squad. Open world starts around lvl 10ish, and you can go into the newbie zones. There are guards. However you can only pvp within 8 levels of your level. Tho, if someone lower than you initiates the combat, you can fight back. It wasn't uncommon to see a swarm of 6 lvl 20's attacking a 40....takes a long time to whittle that 40 down. Anyone in your group is a target, and you can assist if they get into pvp. For instance: Level 20 running around with a 40. The lowbie gets attacked, now the 40 can assist. This is a valid tactic. Another tactic is putting a tank class inside some light robes, giving the illusion that they are easier targets. :mon_trap:

Basically for me, I love this game. However I truly wish they had more open world pvp and space was included in this. We already have the allies/adversaries in place, why not take it to the next lvl? It would be a grand thing to continue the war at the guild level. Just my few thoughts.

Edited by Skjoldr

For every person you find camping you at a low level zone, there is a person on your faction who is more then willing to fly to that zone and kill them. Maybe not for you, but people love killing gankers. I know because I am a ganker, and not 30 minutes go by before crowds of 50's show up and start trying to hunt me down. Its a PvP server, there are hungry sharks on both sides, use that to your advantage.

You see the mind numbing L2P replies of people who do not get the big picture. When a game is new, ganking is low, because everyone is leveling. There are lots of folks to call to your aid if that random high level Douche decides he sucks so bad he cannot attack people his own level and win.

How does this affect the game in a negative way? as the game gets older and subscriptions fall, gankers create a wall against new blood into the game. Like this poor guy who cannot enjoy the same leveling experience we all did because he bought the game later than the L2Ps did. The new blood does not have the luxury of high populations of levelers, heck you're lucky if you see 5 people on some zones now. This deters new blood into PvP servers and exasperates the speed at which those servers will die. (Ganking = few new players to older games)

No new players = gankers get bored = new players and gankers leave that game = server population drops = decline in economy = others leave game and so on.

Most main stream PvP MMOs have accounted for this by giving some sort of debuff, penalty or restriction based on the zone or the player you are in or attacking. ( EQ2, AoC, War Hammer all did this, never played WoW PvP) it's smart and good business.

L2Ps will tell you to go play on a PvE server but they will be the first ones to both QQ about some OP class or to jump game when the population starts to fall. Heck most of them are the gankers anyway.

Edited by Dajag

Once in a blue moon back in Stranglethorn or Ashenvale or some other locale I'd respond to a call for help to find that the griefer really did in fact want a real fight and was using lowbies to bait someone like me out. I give them credit as is due. But man, I can count those times on one hand compared to the vast number that would simply stealth, hearth or run when someone like me showed up (and no epeen here, I'm no PvP pro. But beating the kind of PvPers who enjoy this sort of passtime is usually not difficult for a geared, experienced and competent player).

TL;DR griefing lowbies =/= PvP, it's just pathetic griefing. That said, in this game, there's no reason for someone like myself or the OP to ever roll on a PvP server.

Oh, the flaw in the logic was the guy I quoted after that. Because people like him WILL say "OH NO!" and come running to help their lowbie guildmates, thus giving the "ganker" exactly what he was looking for. Pretty much exactly like your STV example. : )

And like you said, PvP servers here are not like WoW PvP servers. Same-level PvP while leveling is almost non-existent, while killing lowbies seems to be almost encouraged by the way the planets are designed. It's just far easier to get around at higher levels, lol.

Ok, This is my first thread post. Mostly I have very much enjoyed the game so far. I think it is generally balanced and entertaining. Fun stories exc.

I always played on Pvp servers when I played WOW so naturally I played on a PVP server on SWTOR "The Swiftsure"...

Everything has been just peachy until. I got to a place today where some 50's where just camping a lvl 30 area. I sat for seriously hours just waiting for therm to leave. Myself and several other players just sat for litterally hours waiting for the 50's to leave but all they did was camp everyone who tried to escape and we could do absolutly NOTHING about it. Seriously developers? How is this supposed to be fun. How is this supposed to be fair that 30's can just get camped and ***** by 50's. We had no shot, could not progress in the game and could just SIT there in a starting area. This was NOT fun nor funny; and was enough for me to just about give the game up after a month.

There needs to be some for of honor system or safegaurd against this. Sorry but, biggest flaw in the game by a million miles.

Anyone else in the world think this is fair? Seriously, the most frustrating experience I have ever had playing a MMORG.... :mad:

i almost fell for this troll job

Ok, This is my first thread post. Mostly I have very much enjoyed the game so far. I think it is generally balanced and entertaining. Fun stories exc.

I always played on Pvp servers when I played WOW so naturally I played on a PVP server on SWTOR "The Swiftsure"...

Everything has been just peachy until. I got to a place today where some 50's where just camping a lvl 30 area. I sat for seriously hours just waiting for therm to leave. Myself and several other players just sat for litterally hours waiting for the 50's to leave but all they did was camp everyone who tried to escape and we could do absolutly NOTHING about it. Seriously developers? How is this supposed to be fun. How is this supposed to be fair that 30's can just get camped and ***** by 50's. We had no shot, could not progress in the game and could just SIT there in a starting area. This was NOT fun nor funny; and was enough for me to just about give the game up after a month.

There needs to be some for of honor system or safegaurd against this. Sorry but, biggest flaw in the game by a million miles.

Anyone else in the world think this is fair? Seriously, the most frustrating experience I have ever had playing a MMORG.... :mad:

There is a reason for this... People are bored and have nothing else to do. Believe me if there was a good open world pvp spot for them that is where they would be or if the game gave them something else to do they would be doing it. Blame lack of content not them.

I think it's great... and I've been on both sides. Any time I'm on Tattooine I usually go to the balloon p/u area and wait from a distance until someone comes to catch a balloon ride. It's hilarious and with my mentality I'm helping the empire by making it hard for them to get datacrons. :D

It's happened to me as well, and you find a way out or keep getting rolled. Part of the game. I actually had 3 level 38-40's try to roll me when I was 47 or 48 and they just kept coming back until they killed me once. It was in an area where the med center was neutral so when they spawned in they were on top of me. I thought it was comedy! We all could have gotten out of the situation but that's part of what makes open world PvP fun.

Just roll a PVE server, problem solved.

Camping is an important part of MMO culture. In fact it is VITAL to the people engaging in that behavior.

Consider:

These are people who have probably been picked on their entire life. They have never won a fight, kissed a girl, scored the winning TD, or ever even received a compliment from anyone other than a teacher or parent.

Furthermore, they have probably never contributed meaningfully to a PVP match, or presumably they would queue up to fight 8 people, rather than sitting for an hour to fight 1 person.

This is it for them, this is as good as it gets, the illusion of superiority that comes from defeating someone of higher skill, limited by their character's level. (I am comfortable assuming that campers are horrible at PVP, or again, why not queue up with the 50's?)

Stomping your level 30 toon, and laughing about it to themselves? This is their Superbowl...

How dare you attempt to take away what might be the only few hours of validation any of them feel in their life?!?

Shame on you.

All right, I would keep typing but I think I'll roll over to the JH and beat up some 12yo kids. When they cry I will be all like "This is a PVP country NOOB!, you shoulda rolled somewhere else! Like France!"

:). I doubt anyone can say it better.

consider yourself lucky that your playing a carebear mmo. Us grown folk in real mmos would not only gank you but also take your lootz and when you PM us crying we would be cool offer to give your stuff back to have you show up again and get ganked again for being naive and coming back like someones really going to give you your loot back because your feelings are hurt...

Go see a psychiatrist. You need urgent help.

You see the mind numbing L2P replies of people who do not get the big picture. When a game is new, ganking is low, because everyone is leveling. There are lots of folks to call to your aid if that random high level Douche decides he sucks so bad he cannot attack people his own level and win.

How does this affect the game in a negative way? as the game gets older and subscriptions fall, gankers create a wall against new blood into the game. Like this poor guy who cannot enjoy the same leveling experience we all did because he bought the game later than the L2Ps did. The new blood does not have the luxury of high populations of levelers, heck you're lucky if you see 5 people on some zones now. This deters new blood into PvP servers and exasperates the speed at which those servers will die. (Ganking = few new players to older games)

No new players = gankers get bored = new players and gankers leave that game = server population drops = decline in economy = others leave game and so on.

Most main stream PvP MMOs have accounted for this by giving some sort of debuff, penalty or restriction based on the zone or the player you are in or attacking. ( EQ2, AoC, War Hammer all did this, never played WoW PvP) it's smart and good business.

L2Ps will tell you to go play on a PvE server but they will be the first ones to both QQ about some OP class or to jump game when the population starts to fall. Heck most of them are the gankers anyway.

PvP server; working as intended. Don't like it? Roll onto an RP/PvE server, kktksbai.

So pvp happened on a pvp server and you want players to be penalized?

PVP didnt happen, stupidity happened. PVP is not 20 lvl 50 toons camping a revive point for 2 level 30 toons. Most games have a level restriction to prevent this sort of thing from happening while others may not prevent it but place a negative reward system for such stupidity.

I am not surprised that some people feel this would be ok. Just because it can happen doesnt mean it should. I am sure from some sort of psychological level it could be explained why people would feel the need to do that sort of thing...maybe their mommy didnt hug them enough or they were picked on in real life or they feel Inferior or 1000 other things.

I am not opposed to a lvl 50 or even a group of lvl 50's killing me while I quest, but to sit at a respawn with 20 lvl 50's and grief 2 lvl 30's over 2 hours isint PVP its just wrong. Even though my 8 year old daughter had fun. That should be a clue to the maturity and mind set level required....8 years old, yea thats the ticket.

PVP didnt happen, stupidity happened. PVP is not 20 lvl 50 toons camping a revive point for 2 level 30 toons. Most games have a level restriction to prevent this sort of thing from happening while others may not prevent it but place a negative reward system for such stupidity.

I am not surprised that some people feel this would be ok. Just because it can happen doesnt mean it should. I am sure from some sort of psychological level it could be explained why people would feel the need to do that sort of thing...maybe their mommy didnt hug them enough or they were picked on in real life or they feel Inferior or 1000 other things.

I am not opposed to a lvl 50 or even a group of lvl 50's killing me while I quest, but to sit at a respawn with 20 lvl 50's and grief 2 lvl 30's over 2 hours isint PVP its just wrong. Even though my 8 year old daughter had fun. That should be a clue to the maturity and mind set level required....8 years old, yea thats the ticket.

You can't walk into a strip club and complain about all the naked women. The choice was to create a toon and play on a Player versus Player server where the logic allows for players to fight one another at most levels and in certain areas. You have no room to complain now.

Strap your digital dog to your digital roof and take your ideologies, lovely wife, and sweet little 8yr old girl to a PVE server where you fit best.

Edited by JayPres

You can't walk into a strip club and complain about all the naked women. The choice was to create a toon and play on a Player versus Player server where the logic allows for players to fight one another at most levels and in certain areas. You have no room to complain now.

Strap your digital dog to your digital roof and take your ideologies, lovely wife, and sweet little 8yr old girl to a PVE server where you fit best.

OMG, I think I'm stealing this for my new sig. Yeah, that's happening.

When you select a pvp server, BW gives you a goddamn warning you telling you that you can be ganked at any time and that you should think carefully before making a char there. If you still choose to make a char on a pvp server, than deal with it.