Logitech G13 and SWTOR

demonolithic

Curious if anyone is currently using this when they play SWTOR? I have a cat that loves to relax with me in my lap so using this to tool around with would seem a great idea. Just hoping the software is working with SWTOR.

Thank you for any feedback, suggestions, trolls... it's all good.

It's working just fine, I haven't run into any problems. Joystick for movement, keybinds, Ctrl modifier, etc. I have mapped movement to arrow keys, because I had bad experience with using Numpad keys before.

One issue is that every time I roll a new character, all keybinds and majority of settings have to be set again.

been using this for years if you dont keybind movement to the joystick throw it out and stick to using a keyboard i really could never use a keyboard again i mean its almost like going back to a mouse with a ball and clicking everything then waiting in general for a group

only one problem is it has access problems you have to run it as admin to get it to work in game kinda annoying

I am using one and my out of the box drivers work.

I have my keys all mapped to emulate the keyboard and I never look at the display so no big deal there.

The only problem I've found in SWTOR is that my F1 button will sometimes set off the 1 button.

I have F1 mapped to the little joystick for a quick thumb snap.

The only other problem I've had with these controlers is that sometimes they do not load correctly when the machine boots up. A restart usually helps.

Sometimes you have got to change current profile manually from the G13's screen. Click around on it abit and you'll figure it out. Might be the unit is locked on a different profile than the one you are seing on the software.

Otherwise it's an excellent tool.

You can even make a script on it that auto-pages action-bars so you get "more" than just the two at the bottom. Lovely.

Edited by zoofar

I've been using a G13 for a few years now, first in AoC to improve my mobility while casting / blocking, then in WoW as I went back for a fix of their latest junk. I simply wouldn't want to play an MMO without it now, or in fact any game.

The joystick is mapped to WASD so I can fire off any of the 22 main keys without stopping circle strafing. If you choose to map abilities here instead you're going to lose use of four of your buttons or have to keyboard turn with your right hand, and both are not ideal.

G1-G22 are mapped to my most commonly used abilities - with the most needed sitting on G3-G5/G10-G12/G16-G18. The stretch keys (ones I need to reach for) get lesser abilities or ones on long CDs, like temporary buffs. G20-G22 often have stance changes or in SWTOR medpacks, stims, etc. G23 and G24 are unmapped currently becuase I have to be stationary to use them. I might map the after death buff sequence to one of them.

In games like WoW I mapped a completely different set of keys for situational use - like having to drive a vehicle - or gathering resources which had me mounting and flying up a lot (none of which is useful in general play)

Now those who are level 30 or higher no doubt have more than 22 abilities which they would like to key activate - I personally have about 42. To get them all mapped I have my mouse 5 key mapped to my alt key forming a shifted key when used at the same time as the G13.

e.g. G10/G11/G12 are mapped to '1', '2', and '3' so I can make conversation choices without moving my hand. Alt 2 is mapped to my ability to remove DoTs, so in PVP all I need to do is hold down my mouse key and press G11 - and DoTs be gone!

With the addition of alt modifiers (or ctrl if you like) on the mouse I can easily access 44 keys - which is enough for my gameplay style - all while maintaining a good circle strafe.

Once you're used to it, the G13 is a significant advantage.

• 4 weeks later...
I've been using a G13 for a few years now, first in AoC to improve my mobility while casting / blocking, then in WoW as I went back for a fix of their latest junk. I simply wouldn't want to play an MMO without it now, or in fact any game.

The joystick is mapped to WASD so I can fire off any of the 22 main keys without stopping circle strafing. If you choose to map abilities here instead you're going to lose use of four of your buttons or have to keyboard turn with your right hand, and both are not ideal.

G1-G22 are mapped to my most commonly used abilities - with the most needed sitting on G3-G5/G10-G12/G16-G18. The stretch keys (ones I need to reach for) get lesser abilities or ones on long CDs, like temporary buffs. G20-G22 often have stance changes or in SWTOR medpacks, stims, etc. G23 and G24 are unmapped currently becuase I have to be stationary to use them. I might map the after death buff sequence to one of them.

In games like WoW I mapped a completely different set of keys for situational use - like having to drive a vehicle - or gathering resources which had me mounting and flying up a lot (none of which is useful in general play)

Now those who are level 30 or higher no doubt have more than 22 abilities which they would like to key activate - I personally have about 42. To get them all mapped I have my mouse 5 key mapped to my alt key forming a shifted key when used at the same time as the G13.

e.g. G10/G11/G12 are mapped to '1', '2', and '3' so I can make conversation choices without moving my hand. Alt 2 is mapped to my ability to remove DoTs, so in PVP all I need to do is hold down my mouse key and press G11 - and DoTs be gone!

With the addition of alt modifiers (or ctrl if you like) on the mouse I can easily access 44 keys - which is enough for my gameplay style - all while maintaining a good circle strafe.

Once you're used to it, the G13 is a significant advantage.

Using the g13's joystick for movement feels realy awkward and clumsy to me. I really don't know how anyone can use this seamlessly in combat (especially PvP) comfortablely while hitting the g keys at the same time. To each his own I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought the G13.

Yesterday the first test: some impediment.

First of all the mini joystick: the WADS is not agile because the joystick is jerky. My finger slides and I cant hold the movements easy.

I can try to put on a "coating" like the foam headphones or a layer of rubber.

It might be interesting to use the joypad for the visual rotation but I don't know if it's possible.

Another problem is that the buttons area is too large for my hand: if I hold the finger on the joystick I can't press all buttons comfortable.

This evening I'll try some configurations like assign only buttons from G4 to G7 (and G11-G14) to the special abilities, the two buttons near the joystick to some recursive-movement/combat-command like jump.

I think to assign the joystick "up" to auto-movement.

I hope to became comfortable.

No configuration to recommend?

Thanks,

Mario

Edited by paplop

Using the g13's joystick for movement feels realy awkward and clumsy to me. I really don't know how anyone can use this seamlessly in combat (especially PvP) comfortablely while hitting the g keys at the same time. To each his own I guess.

I've never been conviced by using them (or dpads) for movement, some people swear by it, but I'd reckon they are probably better mapped to abilities.

I use the G13 with no problems. It worked right out of the box.

I couldn't use the joystick for movement so I bound it to menus (like up is map, down is log, right is inventory, left is character).

I also had to bind the button directly to the left of the joystick as my space bar. Just seems more comfortable to me.

Those may be odd choices for some, but for me they work. That's the fun of the G13...can set it up any way you want, but also, since you can switch profiles in game, you have a huge number of combinations with little fuss.

(Side note: I broke my left hand badly a year ago and lost a bit of range in my ring finger and little finger. That's the reason I bought the G13 as I hoped it would help. I am not disappointed in the least, but it did take a bit to get used to it.)

My G13 is working great. My joystick: L-is pet follow , U-is pet attack, R-bound to taunt, D-mass taunt.

In Battlefield 3 which is the only other game I play atm, I use the joystick to switch seats in vehicles.

8 and 9 are always my cc breakers in any mmo i play.

I still canot get any profies to work on my g13 ive updated to the latest software but it still dosent work

try going back a few versions of the logitech g-profile software. I'm using 5.x because the 7.x was clunky, irritating and causing problems. If you shoot me a PM I might be able to dig up my old disc and send you the files via email.

I know what you mean, it takes some getting used to, but once you've trained yourself and get used to it there's no going back. My ONLY problem with the g13 is the radius of the thumbstick, in that, you have to move the thumbstick pretty far for it to activate versus some other game pads, namingly the saitek cyborg which is a great gamepad if saitek could make **** that doesn't break in 3 months and software that doesnt require an engineering degree to use.

I've been using game pads since 2007-ish, I'm an avid pvper and I really don't have any movement issues, in MMOs at least. When it comes to FPS SP or MP I still use keyboard but only because the volume of buttons for most FPS isnt worth setting up a profile for.

really though G13 best $100 I've spent on gaming tools next to the Naga

Edited by djpostman

Curious if anyone is currently using this when they play SWTOR? I have a cat that loves to relax with me in my lap so using this to tool around with would seem a great idea. Just hoping the software is working with SWTOR.

Thank you for any feedback, suggestions, trolls... it's all good.

i use my g15 keys all the time. to stpo me going afk but jumping up and down never too kill things for me tho

I love my G13. Will never be able to go back to gaming without it. And I read everyone's take on the thumb joystick before i got it, but i forced myself to use it, and I love it now.

Only problem I occasionally have (maybe 4 times in 2 months, is the g13 profile doesn't get loaded when my pc starts. But I just have to restart the g13 app and then it's fine.

Love my G13 as well, but I almost never use it for movement. I just used the mouse buttons and autorun for 90% of my movement. If in a safe area or just travelling around, I often move my left hand from the G13 to my keyboard WASD keys, and just move it back for combat.

I was given one a few days ago by a friend. I played with it some last night. I like it so far. I use it with my G500 mouse and it works great.

I have the same set up... works great... I just got the G13 a month ago. It took some getting used to but now I am much faster. Its a great little tool to have.

I know what you mean, it takes some getting used to, but once you've trained yourself and get used to it there's no going back. My ONLY problem with the g13 is the radius of the thumbstick, in that, you have to move the thumbstick pretty far for it to activate versus some other game pads, namingly the saitek cyborg which is a great gamepad if saitek could make **** that doesn't break in 3 months and software that doesnt require an engineering degree to use.

I currently use a saitek. The stick is getting fairly sloppy and I was thinking about a G13. I have the palm button set to a shift state where my stick changes from foward, reverse,turn movement to foward,reverse, turn&strafe right and left. I palyed a warg in LOTRO and that made me be able to circle a target while still facing him. Great for fighting Hunters. Although like you said it took some trial and fail to set it up the time was worth it. Can this be done on a G13?? While the Saitek is a pain to program and I seem to need a refresher corse evey time I have to program it, its options are good.

Edited by Malefik

• 2 weeks later...

this thread is a little old but while I don't know if there is a shift state (every thing is so programmable I probably haven't looked at every option" the g13 has 3 mode buttons so you can have 3 profiles set up for each game. You can make 2 profiles the exact same except for the changes you want in movement on your thumbstick and just switch between m1 and m2 and have m3 set up for something completely different if you want.

Personally I just use the thumbstick for strafing and back and forward and usually just asign it to the arrow keys on my keyboard and strictly use my mouse for turning as it is much faster than keyboard turning any day.

I first switched to my g13 playing wow back in Wrath very shortly after Uldamon came out and it improved my game SO much having each of my hunter's abilities assigned to a hot key that I also bought a razer Naga, and between the two I don't have to touch my keyboard to play the game unless I'm typing. I only use one of the 3 modes on my g13 at that.

I only wrote this because I have just pulled my g13 out to use with my new laptop that I've been dreading programming all the keys and setting bindings on all of my swtor toons individually but...

you can't go wrong with this thing. it took me about 1 week to get used to it, and about 2 to master and I'm abuot to go through the same process again because I've been playing swtor without it. But not having to ever click on an ability increases reaction time and awareness 10x. Guaranteed.

It is much easier to get used to if you use it from the time you create your charactor on up binding keys to hotbars as you go. switching to it after all your hotbars are already full definately takes a bit of reprogramming of your muscle memory.

I love my G13 but have been having issues with it not working (specifically usually 2 directions of the thumbstick) with SWTOR sometimes. I have to unplug it and plug it back in. Then it works fine till I log out of the game and log back in later. Not sure if I have a defective G13 or if it is some driver issue.

As a side note, I hated the thumbstick it came with (too pointy), so I swapped it for a gamepad thumbstick. Works like a charm and is comfortable.

I read that someone does mouse turning(I have a G700, so 13 more buttons to map). Can someone explain how that works? How do you set it up for mouse turning?

I am on the fence about getting one. I am torn between the G13 or the Razer MMO with all the buttons on the side. I can not afford both now, but I want to get something to give me an edge. I am an amateur at MMO due to the real word getting in the way of my fun :) I suck pretty bad now and I was hoping a better set up will help.

I don't have the G13 but I do have the Belkin Nostromo (which is very close to the Razer Nostromo... the Razer product is a refined version of the Belkin they bought.) And I really don't like the concept for an MMO.

It's fine in games where you're just gaming and shooting stuff I suppose, but this is a social game that has no built-in voice options. Which means in order to be even slightly social you need the full keyboard so you can type at people. Which means there's no point in shifting your hand back and forth to a pad uncomfortably placed on the side of the keyboard, when the keyboard itself is more convenient.

The Razer Naga mouse makes a lot more sense for an MMO, in my opinion. That leaves you the full keyboard and gets you a ton of mappable and macroable buttons on the mouse itself.

I'd even take a Logitech G15 keyboard or a Razer Anansi with their dedicated macro buttons over a G13 for an MMO - for any FPS player, using WASD and a mouse is the only way to game anyway, can't beat the precision, and getting extra macro keys for heals for instance would be great.

Personally I make do with a regular mouse and my regular ergonomic keyboard; I just create my few macros the "hard way", with Autohotkey and running the game windowed and use keys on the keyboard not being used for other things for those.