PC Voice Actors, Male VS Female

Slowpokeking

opinions.

knight:strictly male,the female sounds like a 12 years old on her school crush

trooper:male,the female just doens't fit,such a role should be held by an strict man with leadership to sell

smuggler:meh,both,male's better tho.

consular:the female voice actor sounds like she has a cold,so male

warrior:male,the female sounds like a 60 years old.

inquisitor:fits a male better but i like the female voice actor too,a female would fit a light sided role. (i can't really imagine a lady being evil or sadic)

agent:male,i can't stand the female's voice,too much emotion for an imperial agent.

bounty hunter:both,i like both equally,the female is sexy and strong and the male is rough and cool.

Wow....sexist much

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Republic

Jedi Consular: Male, Nolan North does a great job delivering the emotions of the situation, the female one just sounds she's on valium.

Jedi Knight: DAVID. HAYTER.

Trooper: Male by default, playing Jennifer Hale breaks immersion for me, she's Satele and Bastila in Star Wars, not some random trooper. She does the job well though.

Smuggler: Female. DEXTER'S MOM. (from dexter's lab)

Empire

Sith Inquisitor: Female, Xanthe Elbrecht delivers the cocky/arrogant lines just better than her male counterpart.

Sith Warrior: Equal. I have an extremely hard time choosing, so I wont. Both deliver their lines perfectly with a highclass accent. The way a Sith Warrior should be.

Bounty Hunter: Male. Grey DeLisle is a great voice-actress but in Star Wars, she's the Handmaiden. Hearing her as another characters hurts my immersion. She does a great job though.

Imperial Agent: Female. Jo Wyatt's voice is audible chocolate, I fell in love with her voice ever since I heard in Dragon Age 2, it's in fact what made me reroll to a female Hawke. Her male counterpart does a good job also though.

Agent-Male hands down epic

Knight- male but only slight better

Cons- Male but annoying that he also does human male in GW2 but that's just me :D

Smuggler- Female i think the male just sound like a bad han solo impersonator

Warrior- Male but havnt played much of female so no real reason

Inqui - both Female is good for a physco inq (which mine is :D ) Male is good for a cold calculating sith

BH- prefer female but was mostly cause i couldn't make a male character i liked.

I only played the Imperial characters.

IA and SI is clearly Female > Male, especially IA, Jo Wyatt's voice is great.

SW's male voice over is better, and the story also fit a male character much better. I thought BH would be the same case but Grey did really a good job, I think it's as good as the male voice over, and the story also fit female character well.

I agree the male SI and IA Voices are just plain horrible the female voice actors they used fit those character classes much better. As for SW I have to say that both the male and female fit that class perfectly (though Marauder advanced class seems better suited to female because most of the leg armor is skirts). Same with the Bounty Hunter. The Trooper, Jedi Knight and Jedi Consular the male and female Voice Actors also fit those Classes extremely well. Smuggler haven't played much cause the story puts me to sleep (can never get past Coruscant) so cant make an opinion on the acting until I have.

• 6 months later...
I universally prefer female to male for every character class. In some cases more closely than others (male warrior and inqusitor are pretty close to their female equivilants, for instance, whilst the gap between my preference for a female or male consular is wide enough to sail an ocean liner down), but still. Edited by Bleeters

• 2 months later...

Male:

1. Brian Bloom (Trooper)

2. Mark Bazeley (Warrior)

3. Tom Spackman (BH)

4. David Hayter (Knight)

5. Maury Sterling (Smuggler)

6. Bertie Carvel (Agent)

7. Euan Morton (Inquisitor)

8. Nolan North (Consular)

Female:

1. Kari Wahlgren (Knight)

2. Jo Wyatt (Agent)

3. Kath Soucie (Smuggler)

4. Xanthe Elbrick (Inquisitor)

5. Jennifer Hale (Trooper)

6. Grey DeLisle (BH)

7. Athena Karkanis (Consular)

8. Natasha Little (Warrior)

TL/DR

Trooper: Male

Knight: Female

Smuggler: Female

Consular: Both about equally suck, Male is slightly better

BH: Male

Warrior: Male

Agent: Female

Inquisitor: Female

• 4 months later...

Jedi Knight male is Solid Snake (David Hayter), if you are fan of the metal gear series, no questions here, you will love the male Jedi Knight

Smuggler Male and Female voices are good, the male sounds like Richard Castle, but it's just me

The female trooper is Jennifer Hale, Mass Effect players using FemShep will recognize this immediately and will instantly love her.

JK: I like the female voice better, but the male voice isn't terrible.

JC: Male. The female voice just seems so dead and lifeless. A

Trooper: Male. The female voice just reminds me too much of Cmdr. Shepard.

Smuggler: Male. The lady who does the female voice is also the voice of Phil and Lil on Rugrats, and that's all I hear when I play a female smuggler. lol

SW: Both. They are both excellent. I can't choose.

SI: Female. I like the male voice, but the female voice is just so delightedly expressive, especially when playing DS. She just sounds so evil. I love it.

BH: Female. The male voice is just so cartoonishly deep and gravelly, like the VA was trying way too hard.

IA: Male. After playing many hours of DA2, I'm tired of Jo Wyatt's voice. It's a perfectly fine voice, but like with Jennifer Hale, it got old after a while. However, I just adore the male voice. I love the way he speaks, sort of running sentences together a lot. There's just something about it that is so appealing. I can see how it's not to everyone's tastes though.

Trooper: Male. The female voice just reminds me too much of Cmdr. Shepard.

As somebody who regularly plays Starcraft II and has finished the campaign of said game multiple times, aswell as an avid fan of Mass Effect, I can safely say that the Trooper voice acting is very hard to live with.

My personal opinion:

JK - Male, though I'm honestly not a fan of either voice.

JC - The male version is so adorably goofy, I didn't even figure it was Nolan North at first :p. The female version's good aswell.

Trooper - Ugh. Male, I guess.

Smuggler - Female. No particular reason really.

SW - Male, but both are great.

SI - I really like both. They both sound so wonderfully insane at times. Although I feel that the male voice is really off if you go bigger body types (4-5).

Agent - Both good but I prefer the male version (for no particular reason).

Hunter - Meh. Not the biggest fan of either. I feel that the male voice is like too over the top special and the female voice is not special at all.

I love all the empire side voices. But the Jedi male and female ones suck, they are too "Oh did you get a booboo" and "Aww look kittens." sounding.

lol.. yeah, a bit of that.... but i couldn't stand the male consular, and the male knight is okayish...

Funny thing, I prefer the female voices for PC pretty much for every class, but if I think about it, male companion voices are fantastic and, except a couple of cases, I like them better than the female ones.

I would have loved a PC voiced by whoever did Scourge. I think he could promise the most horrific thing in the most calmed tone, but not emotionless. Or say a nice thing, and be believable.

Edited by wainot-keel

lol.. yeah, a bit of that.... but i couldn't stand the male consular, and the male knight is okayish...

Funny thing, I prefer the female voices for PC pretty much for every class, but if I think about it, male companion voices are fantastic and, except a couple of cases, I like them better than the female ones.

I would have loved a PC voiced by whoever did Scourge. I think he could promise the most horrific thing in the most calmed tone, but not emotionless. Or say a nice thing, and be believable.

Yes, the actor who plays Scourge did a fantastic job. I hope one say they'll give us more pialogue with the companions, preferably in class stories.

And this is what makes the JK PC voice acting look so bad to me. Neither the male nor the female JK voice have any business being in the same story as Scourge's or the Emperor's voice acting, they are completely out of their league when in the same scene. It's not a good sign when you spend more time listening to what all other characters say over what your character says.

Sith Warrior: Male, for sure. Mark Bazeley's voice sells the class. It's not that Natasha Little is bad, but she's the person you'd go to for side NPCs (as in Dragon Age), rather than a main protagonist.

Sith Inquisitor: Male. Euan Morton does quite a nice job of playing the cold, manipulative villain, though sometimes his performance can be a bit lackluster. Xanthe Elbrick just doesn't stand out for me. Though the differing pronunciations of the word "Kaggath" by all the NPCs & the PC in Act 3 is pretty alarming.

Bounty Hunter: Female. I can't stand how Tom Spackman's voice sounds, and Grey de Lisle is a phenomenal voice actress.

Imperial Agent: Split. Bertie Carvel has a fantastic voice - cold, calm; perfect for an Imperial agent. But, he does seem to lack emotion at times, where Jo Wyatt steps in and delivers really great emotion in her lines - particularly in Act 2.

Jedi Knight: Male. Both are pretty awful voice actors, but picking the lesser of two evils would be David Hayter.

Jedi Consular: Female. Again, both are pretty bad in this role. Nolan North I generally like, but here he seems really monotone. I know Jedi aren't supposed to get emotional, but he sounds like a robot most of the time. The female voice actress at least puts some emotion into her role.

Smuggler. Male. Kath Soucie is a great voice actress with an enormous list of credits, but Maury Sterling really does have the voice for this role. Like Mark Bazeley, he sells the class.

Trooper: Female. It's Jennifer Hale, how can I not like her performance. Brian Bloom just doesn't cut it as the male Trooper. He's damn good as Varric & Leske, but here he sounds off.

Let's do my characters then.

BH - Male all the way. Body type 3 cyborg with that gravely voice is great. Don't realy know what's rubbing me the wrong way about the female actor, but something sure is.

Agent - Again, male all the way. Low key, kinda sneaky and calculating. Female VA ain't bad, but it's not good either imo.

SW - Again, I prefer the male. Female is great aswell, but male is imo better. kinda arrogant and full of himself. I love him.

JK - Male. Solid snake, great for LS, calm and all that jedi stuff, but then you go a-swinging with that saber. I love it.

Female voice is just meh, totaly forgettable.

JC - Both are terrible, I went with female, the lesser of two evils here imo.

Trooper - Male here aswell. Never liked femshep in mass effect, and well, here it is again. Thanks, but no thanks.

Smuggler Male and Female voices are good, the male sounds like Richard Castle, but it's just me

Or, more in keeping with the Captains theme, certain Mal Reynolds :) I love Smuggler's voice the most though because of the other vocal similarity. To me he sounds like Zenith, so playing an AU Zenith is awesome!