Do i gimp my ops group if i go as guardian instead of sentinel?

adryian

Hello guys,

I have a lvl 50 guardian and a lvl 50 sentinel. My guild does raids twice a week. I know my classes well, use keybinds, know rotations and so forth.

I like my guardian marginally more but I feel that bringing him to operations gimps my raid group. My guild doesn't demand from me to play one or the other but I dont want to play a class that is clearly suboptimal.

The bottom line is:

Should I bring my Sentinel or my Guardian to operations?

(Please don't answer with play what you like more, i like playing them both.)

Not really. Both bring some nice stuff to the table. I am assuming you are running Guardian DPS. Sometimes having the abiltiy to pull aggro off the tank just before he dies can save the group. So feel free to love both.

The dps difference isn't nearly that big of a gap between them.

But clearly it bothers you more then it bothers anyone else, so take your sentinel.

The difference is actually quite large, some 10%+ That doesn't sound like much, but it is often more than the difference between beating the enrage timer / soft enrage and not beating it.

The difference is actually quite large, some 10%+ That doesn't sound like much, but it is often more than the difference between beating the enrage timer / soft enrage and not beating it.

BS, maybe if u take the best Sent and worst Guardian. Take best of both and its closer to 3%, and if you maintain your Sunder stacks at max, it brings the whole raid's dps up. I am not sayin one is better than the other, just that Guardian dps is far from sub optimal when played right. Also like he said up there, i can get in Soresu form and grab aggro real fast long enough to get a fallen tank up without having someone else die.

The dps difference isn't nearly that big of a gap between them.

But clearly it bothers you more then it bothers anyone else, so take your sentinel.

Guy asked the exact same question on the warrior subforum.

I answered that, he came here with the same post, saying "play whatever you like, they are very close together" isn't valid, since he likes them both.

Sooo since its obvious he's actually just looking to feel better about shelving his guardian or jug :

"play the sent/mara, they are pwnz0r rolfmao"

Happy?

BS, maybe if u take the best Sent and worst Guardian. Take best of both and its closer to 3%, and if you maintain your Sunder stacks at max, it brings the whole raid's dps up. I am not sayin one is better than the other, just that Guardian dps is far from sub optimal when played right. Also like he said up there, i can get in Soresu form and grab aggro real fast long enough to get a fallen tank up without having someone else die.

I would say 10% is actually about right, give or take a little depending on fight mechanics. However where I disagree with the previous poster is that 1 person doing 10% less damage, will decide whether or not you hit the enrage timer. If you're hitting the enrage timer, then rest assured it's not just due to one person doing 10% less damage, there are clearly other issues going on as well. Unless you happen to wipe at that 1 or 2 percent mark, chances are your ac wouldn't of made the difference, and even if you do wipe it's not the end of the world. Learn from your mistakes and try again.

Having said that here's my honest advice, if you really don't care which one it is you're playing. If your ops group has a sentinel bring a guardian, if it has a guardian bring a sentinel, if it has both, bring a sentinel, if it has none of those bring a guardian. The reason for this, is that sundering strike is a fairly big deal over the course of a fight. However if you have someone applying those effects already, then the extra damage done by the sentinel along with inspiration is better. Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
Top shelf combat parses are about 2100...top shelf vengeance parses are just shy of 2k....that's about 5-6% tops...stop giving the kid wrong numbers...

I'd say the difference is actually even less than that in an actual fight. And that's for a couple reasons....One that you need a higher acc to maintain hit chance vs a boss, thereby sacrificing some other stat a little to maintain the proper hit chance. Single blade guard/jugg needs less so can afford a little higher in other helpful stats. Two, the guard/jugg has one additional ranged attack that the sent doesn't. In a high mobility fight where you might have to run around a little, the guard/jugg would have a slight advantage in starting the fight sooner. And three, being a heavy armor class, and having access to a self health boost can give your healers an extra moment to top off someone else first.

And like someone else earlier said, being able to taunt off the tank in an emergency is definitely worthwhile to have on hand should the need arise. Not to mention the ability to pick up some adds to drag to the proper tank. A sent cannot do that, a guard/jugg can. Point is, straight up dps isn't always the most important thing, often it's the ability to adapt to the situation. A Guardian/jugg offers that flexibility and a sent does not. But this is all dependent on the fight mechanics of course. If it's a pure tank and spank with low mobility, the sent will clearly come out ahead. But a more complex fight with higher mobility and lots of adds, I'd go with a guard/jugg.

From my own experience however, I actually do slightly higher dps as my guardian than my sent. Still have not figured out why. Imperfect rotation maybe? I dunno, by I love my guardian more because of all it brings to the table whereas my sent just feels a lot more one dimensional in what it offers. But that's just my two cents.

Considering in actual raid parses, not on some fleet or ship dummy, I parse within 10k at the end of a boss fight of the damage of the sentinels in my guild, who run sents full time I might add, I'd call BS on there being an actual difference in raid performance. 10k out of 450-500k is at worst 2.22% difference. As someone stated earlier, Vig Guardians don't need as much accuracy but that's kinda incorrect, Combat tree for Sents gets a buff to accuracy as well. However where we do come out ahead is the buff to strength, getting more crit and damage out of strength. At 2000 strength, that's an additional 120 points into strength, it's like using another exo stim.

Honestly, some people never get used to playing a Vig guardian, because sometimes the rotations feel clunky, whereas a Combat Sentinel's rotation flows a lot smoother. But to say Combat Sentinels can outperform a Vig Guardian in actual raid performance or utility would be incorrect, the same could be said for the opposite. They bring different skillsets to the table and are only limited by the person behind the wheel.