The Inquisitor's story bad?

darthnamel

Well lately I have seen threads explaining how boring it was to go through CH2 of the Inquisitor storyline.

You just became a Lord of The Sith and now have to hunt down and absorb Force Ghost

While I saw most saying "We should have built a powerbase, or hunted for holocrons like Bane did."

Well I have to say is that Bioware put a new twist on the story, rather than an old one, searching for holocrons, to be retold in a different fashion. BUT they could have added more to each planet. The one that I found the best was Hoth in CH2. Now some parts did bore me but those were few and far between.

So my question is now which would you have:

A rehash of the holocron search, or something new and unexplored?

the SI sory in that part was poorly made, it was boring and nothing like the Sith legends we read about everyday, however i really like to see an expansion which takes us back to unexplored areas of Korriban and Tython where we can search for Old sith holocrons or Jedies Holocrons/Artifacts etc...

i thought from the day 1 that the story of each force user was a lightnings speed fast cause you are a Padwan/Apprentice then Jedi/Sith then Master/Darth which was really lame cause they sealed in a lazy way despite the 200 mil they spent on this game and all the bugs/ failed game they released.

my point is, its to late now to do such thing cause they already failed in giving us the REAL fealing of a force user..

Edited by saremun

So, I am loathe to wade through the multiple topics on the SI story since launch. But the gist of them all is that CH 1 is pretty groovy, but Ch 2 and 3 pretty much fall apart, with the exception of the final cut scenes, which are probably some of the best in the game.

This is because for some unknown reason, the SI story underwent an extensive rewrite just before the official beta was launched, where CH 2 and 3 were dramatically changed from the original vision. Unfortunately, the way they were re-written feels very last-minute and means there is little logic in what you are doing and why you are doing it, let alone who is guiding you & who your enemies are.

The following is what I remember reading months ago, but I'm spoiler-ing it b/c I can't link it and it's thus unconfirmed, and it contains SI story boss information. If you have not played through yet, please don't click; you have been warned:

*Word was that the writer of the SI story quit 1/2 way through and Bioware had to cobble together what was left

*The Chapter 3 end boss was supposed to be the Ch 2 end boss; Ch 3 was supposed to focus on another threat that has since either been scrapped or saved for future updates. This is why you "defeat" a certain Darth several times before you actually are done with him.

*I'm still waiting for someone to effectively explain to me why the $#%* Ashara Zavros is on my crew. Talk about dropping the ball on character development.

Honestly, On my INQ, I just held my nose and pushed through CH 2 and most of CH 3. Which is a shame, b/c CH 2 on my Agent was a white-knuckle, heart-pounding "I can't believe that sh*t just HAPPENED!!!" experience. The good news is, the final 2 cut-scenes on the INQ are worth the mediocrity in between.

I won't elaborate too much as this has been discussed to death in all the other threads. Of course this is a matter of opinion, but many who disliked certain aspects of the Inquisitor storyline voiced similar concerns to these.

1. The Inquisitor never thinks of anything by him or herself. Every plan, every mission, every action you do is suggested to you by characters that are supposedly your "minions". For the Inquisitor that is advertised as being the "Palpatine" of the Old Republic, the supposed master manipulator, you spend the entire storyline being a pawn of various NPCs. They have to tell you that you're powerful, rather than it being apparent through your own actions like the Sith Warrior's. Also the Inquisitor can not even make his or her own companion (Ashara) fall to the dark side.

2. Thanaton is not a compelling villain. He is not interesting enough to be hated by the player, and his motivations are not realistic enough, nor are they explained at all. The story hand-waves his motivation to wanting to kill the player as "upholding tradition", however everything he does goes against the Sith tradition of the strong killing the weak. If his motivations were explained somehow, perhaps he would be more than just a plot device.

3. MacGuffin hunt - the idea of binding ghosts to gain more power is a great idea - however, in practice it boils down into a, similar to Act 1. Since you need to get a ghost or artifact from every planet. However this is an issue that affects nearly every class to some extent since there "needs" to be one quest per area in every planet.

The story itself isn't bad - failing to defeat Thanaton was actually quite refreshing compared to many of the other storylines where you automatically succeeds at every task set before you. It was also great to actually learn some "secrets of the Force" as were also advertised for the Consular storyline. However these writing flaws in the Inquisitor storyline severely lessen its quality in my opinion and should have been easy to correct.

I loved the Sith Inquisitor story. I loved the irony in being a slave that enslaves others for power so that he himself is never again a slave. You can't enslave a holocron.

Thanaton's motivation (or lack thereof) is a problem for some people, but I look at it as Thanaton knowing that ambitious Sith tend to kill off other powerful Sith thereby weakening the Empire. He sees it as a tradeoff between murdering one Sith vs. that Sith in turn murdering many others. Remember, Thanaton assumes you killed Zash to take over her position. He has no reason to assume otherwise.

I think people thought the story would be much more driven by the character's own personal motivation for power, but that's not how it works out, in most cases the character is forced to claim power because if doesn't...he'll die...or worse, go back to being someone's slave.

This has interesting implications for the light side ending when you finally release the spirits because you know what its like to be a slave.

Also, this is why I want more class stories. I really think losing this aspect of the game is a travesty. Makeb scratched an itch, but only a little.

Edited by Korusus

Loved Chapter 1. Chapter 2 needed work. The problem with Chapter 2 was every reason he gave to hate you, you could easily have explained/proven was wrong. Chapter 3 was good :)

I don't worry about the being lead around by your crew, as your lead around by someone on every storyline I've played through.

Asara is annoying, but for a Sith who thinks there needs to be a balance between Jedi and Sith (which Inquisitor storyline is easy enough to paint your Sith as), she makes sense. But she is whiney! And thusly becomes annoying.

I think people thought the story would be much more driven by the character's own personal motivation for power, but that's not how it works out, in most cases the character is forced to claim power because if doesn't...he'll die...or worse, go back to being someone's slave.

I enjoyed killing Thanaton but I agree the Tradition thing was boring. H sounded like a Jedi almost. Solemn duty blah blaah blaaah. They could have used other reasons, but I liked the end results, kind of

Ah Mortis I wanted to break the neck :)

It's obvious that many people dislike the story because it's not the power-Sith fantasy they expected it to be.

Edited by Pietrastor

But the gist of them all is that CH 1 is pretty groovy, but Ch 2 and 3 pretty much fall apart

I can pretty much generalise that to the most of the classes. I like chapter 1 in pretty much all classes, while 2 and 3 get bad/unappealing. Well that may have to do with the planets involved in each chapter. Planets in chapter 2 and 3 are pretty bad compared to the ones in chapter 1.

I dislike Thanaton because he's a gigantic hypocrite.

All his blather about tradition, then he goes violates the very sith traditions he's supposedly fighting to uphold.

That just makes him a bog-standard traditionalist.

1. The Inquisitor never thinks of anything by him or herself. Every plan, every mission, every action you do is suggested to you by characters that are supposedly your "minions". For the Inquisitor that is advertised as being the "Palpatine" of the Old Republic, the supposed master manipulator, you spend the entire storyline being a pawn of various NPCs. They have to tell you that you're powerful, rather than it being apparent through your own actions like the Sith Warrior's. Also the Inquisitor can not even make his or her own companion (Ashara) fall to the dark side.

2. Thanaton is not a compelling villain. He is not interesting enough to be hated by the player, and his motivations are not realistic enough, nor are they explained at all. The story hand-waves his motivation to wanting to kill the player as "upholding tradition", however everything he does goes against the Sith tradition of the strong killing the weak. If his motivations were explained somehow, perhaps he would be more than just a plot device.

3. MacGuffin hunt - the idea of binding ghosts to gain more power is a great idea - however, in practice it boils down into a, similar to Act 1. Since you need to get a ghost or artifact from every planet. However this is an issue that affects nearly every class to some extent since there "needs" to be one quest per area in every planet.

I agree that these are the three big issues most people have with the SI story, just to put in my 2 cents on them:

Inquisitor calling the shots: This one I find myself disagreeing with every time it's brought up. Like with the MacGuffin hunt, a linear storyline is always going to railroad you from Point A to Point B, but I feel like they did a good job with giving dialogue choices that had the progression come across as your own plan. Sure you could take the dialogue option that has you saying "So what do I do now?" and then Zash or the Moff or someone tells you what to do, but I seem to remember there also being at least one option each time where an underling/ally comes to you with new information and you make the call. Yeah it's artificial, since every option still has you moving on to the next planet, but it gives it the feel of being your own plan. I do completely agree that it's disappointing you can't corrupt Ashara if you play DS, but since my Inq. was neutral alignment, the way she is actually ended up perfect for me.

Thanaton: This is the complaint I agree with the most. Thanton is just completely underdeveloped as a character; Zash, Baras, arguably even Angral are all better fleshed out as adversaries. I hear he's featured in some of the comics that came out before the game launched, but even if he was better developed there, I feel like that would just upset me more that he wasn't done justice in the game itself.

MacGuffin hunt: There's always going to be some sort of a MacGuffin hunt to move from planet to planet, but I feel like the Forcewalker ghost-hunting took over the later part of the game waaay too much. It wouldn't have been a problem if it felt more like just one piece of building your power base alongside your Cult, getting apprentices, building your super-weapon, and getting the Moffs on your side. But all those other (often more interesting) parts of your rise to power came across as side-quests, with the Forcewalking as the main thrust.

One little thing that bugs me most about the SI story was at the end of Ch. 2 when you go searching in Thanaton's library to find a holocron that says go heal your body on Belsavis. Wasn't Belsavis a huge Republic secret, and only recently discovered by the Empire? How would a Sith know about it at all?

It's not the greatest story, but at the end of chapter 3 was what really pisses me off.

I wanted to kill Thanaton myself, but Mortis had to snap his neck. I was so angry I felt like killing Mortis right there. The kill should be mine. :mad:

i thought from the day 1 that the story of each force user was a lightnings speed fast cause you are a Padwan/Apprentice then Jedi/Sith then Master/Darth which was really lame cause they sealed in a lazy way despite the 200 mil they spent on this game and all the bugs/ failed game they released.

The Class Stories take place over a period of years. Even still they progress through the ranks fast, but at the sametime the class characters are extraordinary individuals when compared against the majority of characters in the universe at the time.

The Sith Inquisitor in Chapter 3 is insanely powerful to the point where there's no way that the character wouldn't achieve a Darth title or end up where they're at after everything they've done.

Alot of what you're complaining about is present in alot of video games, and a number of other Star Wars games too for that matter, ie your character becoming overly powerful and achieving greatness within a relative short amount of time.

Video games are generally games first (shocker) and story always comes second in most cases. Often times elements of the narrative are going to conflict with the gameplay, because at the end of the day it's still a video game. For instance regardless of what the cutscenes show in a game like TOR or something like Uncharted or whatever, the character(s) you generally play as in video games are mass murders based on the gameplay while the cutscenes/story may show a character who doesn't like to kill despite the fact that seconds before the cutscene you just killed 20 people.

Inquisitor story is my favorite along with IA as they complement each other nicely in approach used.

I would also say Inquisitor story is most true to MMO as it has very open ending. There are so many ways story can go now with you. Not only that, but also especially concerning your force using companions -- both Ashara and Xalek have long way to go. Also companions offer great diversity which others seem to lack. I am not talking of racial or gender here.

It is not perfect, some things I think could have been better implemented:

Ashara joining -- she is my favorite companion, but while I understood ideas behind why she might have joined...implementation could been better.

Silencer -- This is one part of the storyline I disliked...I do not like super weapons of such scale.

Kaggath -- Why not use my companions? Ashara to exploit Green Jedi, Andronikos to use his connections with republic, Xalek and Khem Val to assassinate key enemy personnel and so on.

I personally loved the SI story line, I also recall taking more of an initiative through dialogue choices than most people seem to give credit for but I can see where they are coming from. The other complaints tend to be more along the lines of disliking the approach taken rather than finding fault with it, in my opinion.

I really love the inquisitor story!

While not perfect it has a certain charm... and as to those who expect the inquisitor to take initiative and form a power base by herself..

Answer me this...

How in the world is an EX SLAVE who is looked down upon by most people with status., who has no meaningful family (a conversation with Andronikos reveals her family was enslaved along with her and that she alone was permitted to go to Korriban)

so with no real connections in the imperial military or anywhere that matters. how exactly is one going to establish a base super quickly with no outside assistance?

to me the cult on Nar Shaddaa was a fine milestone and a fantastic first baby step to establish a legacy, though it should have had a bigger impact on the story.

After having done the IA story, everything seems pretty bland, except for the smuggler. I mean the 1 liners and if you are a guy being a total man-ho, that just tickles me to no end.

But SI, got through chapter 1 and moving into chapter 2, not too enthusiastic.

MacGuffin hunt: There's always going to be some sort of a MacGuffin hunt to move from planet to planet, but I feel like the Forcewalker ghost-hunting took over the later part of the game waaay too much. It wouldn't have been a problem if it felt more like just one piece of building your power base alongside your Cult, getting apprentices, building your super-weapon, and getting the Moffs on your side. But all those other (often more interesting) parts of your rise to power came across as side-quests, with the Forcewalking as the main thrust.

I couldn't agree more, the whole power base was pushed to one side for the dam ghost thing, now even that i can handle but the fact that after you have to visit 2 planets to cure yourself come on that was wasted i mean belsavis was full of sith and other imperials locked up and perfect chance to free some and get them to follow you and the voss they are unbalanced and doing what Darth Serevin did get mystics to follow you.

Hell if you look at the consular story they do what the inquisitor should have done.

I liked the Si.

I played as a sith lightning sorceress who wasn't evil but was power hungry and wanted to reach the top through manipulation and knowledge of the force. Not through glowstick waving.

The story fit my character perfectly. Especially with the Zash conflict. Two power mad *****es going head to head... Perfect.

Edited by Kerensk