Section X is terrible

-Samhain-

Ok, so I spent most of the last few days getting HK-51 on all of my lvl 50 toons. I found the HK-51 quest to be quite enjoyable and definitely easy enough to bypass the 1million credit cost in order to obtain it on all my toons (even those that I won't even bother using him on). So after I finished my HK-51 quests, I decided to take a shot at the new Section X dailies to see what they were like. My conclusion: the Section X dailies are buggy and the difficulty of them is extremely disproportionate compared to the rewards you receive. Now, let me just say that not all of them are this way, but for most people that don't spend their entire lives doing dailies it seems like a lot of time and effort to spend even for weekly rewards considering how difficult some of the dailies are.

Lost Reconnaissance:

Whose bright idea was it to make the Wild Beast portion of this so stupidly rare? Ok, so if I kill a group of 4 Tuk'ata I get ONE kill closer to the 18 I need to complete the quest, but if I kill a group of 5 Bogwings I get 5 kills closer? Needless to say Bogwing groups are rare while the place is virtually littered with Tuk'ata and DROID groups that seem to do absolutely nothing (perhaps the droid groups are for the Republic?). Anyway, this needs to be adjusted. Granted it's a heroic 2 mission but who is honestly running more than 1 person regularly for such a simple quest? This is just a time sink as far as I can tell.

March of the Dread Guard:

Defend the Shipment all over again. Currently this quest seems to be bugged as you are unable to free the Prison Leaders.

Targeted Misfire:

The drop rate on the Airstrike Codes off of Marksmen is absurdly low. This needs to be adjusted immediately somehow. The amount of Marksmen spawns is already low, though there seems to be no shortage of strong and elite level jedi in the area. On top of this the respawn rates are abysmal. Add to this a low drop rate on the codes and it's a recipe for a ridiculous time sink. Everyone is running around trying to find 1 Marksmen in a group of 6 mobs, and even if you happen to find 3 marksmen in a single group, chances are you're likely to see zero code drops. It reminds me of Deadly Mutations if Deadly Mutations required a drop from the Cthon's.

The Aurora Cannon:

I have yet to even try Aurora Cannon yet. The consensus seems to be that it requires at least 3 people to do it, if not 4. Therefore I won't be doing this quest until sometime over the weekend. I understand this is a 4man Heroic though so I'll give Bioware the benefit of the doubt on this one for now.

Data Raid:

A fairly easy mission, though the amount of strongs and elites seem fairly high considering the rewards. I have no major complaints about this mission, it seems balanced enough, though it should be on the more difficult end of the spectrum for a DAILY.

Hyperbiology:

No problems here, I think this is a well balanced quest, maybe even too easy, but maybe I only think that after I've done the rest of the missions.

Let me just say that I ran this on my main and these are my initial impressions. My main is a geared Assassin Tank with a decently geared HK-51 companion, which means that things are usually significantly easier for this toon than for other toons that I have at 50. I can run Black Hole dailies (including Torvix) in 20min solo. I haven't even finished all of the dailies on Section X and it's been over an hour...yet for some reason both of these daily sections give the same amount of Black Hole Commendations. Considering I get 5 Black Hole Comms a day from just doing Flashpoints what incentive do I have to ever come back here for a WEEKLY?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For lost recon, droid groups are republic and I'm assuming the ta'kata thing is a bug. The march of the dread guard unshackled leaders is an obvious bug and I agree on the drop rate for marksmen.

The aurora cannon absolutely requires 4 people to finish simply because of the trigger mechanics for the very last step. And you should try it, the instance is a lot of fun.

Having done section x for both factions multiple times over, it does take longer to complete but they jacked up the rewards on them so it seems to compensate properly. Aside from the obvious kinks its actually a well thought out piece of content.

Yeah not too fond of this area. Seems BH is still the best return on credits/comms vs time spent. FFS it takes longer to fight through all the trash to *get* to the H4 than it takes to do all your BH dailies (including Torvix). If BW wants froobs to buy Section X they should make the payoff for doing the area better.

Lost Reconnaissance:

Targeted Misfire:

The Aurora Cannon:

Data Raid:

Hyperbiology:

Let me just say that I ran this on my main and these are my initial impressions. My main is a geared Assassin Tank with a decently geared HK-51 companion, which means that things are usually significantly easier for this toon than for other toons that I have at 50. I can run Black Hole dailies (including Torvix) in 20min solo. I haven't even finished all of the dailies on Section X and it's been over an hour...yet for some reason both of these daily sections give the same amount of Black Hole Commendations. Considering I get 5 Black Hole Comms a day from just doing Flashpoints what incentive do I have to ever come back here for a WEEKLY?

LR: Agree this is stupid in that I was only getting credit for silver or gold mobs, other than that one group of bogwings you mention.

MotDG: I only saw one leader that was bugged, but considering how many people are running around trying to free them, they should probably add a couple more even if/when that is fixed.

TM: Eh I only had to kill 6 of them to get the 3 codes, but they could probably add a few other marksmen spawns or marksmen to some existing ones.

AC: I'm just gonna /boggle over complaining about needing 4 peeps to do a H4 here. IIRC the reward wasn't really worth it, but I only ran it once on day one and haven't looked back...just like the rest of the area.

I agree with the rest of your review.

I think the only time I'll be going back to Section X is if I want to unlock HK for another one of my 50s. Highly disappointed with Section X other than the HK 51 parts.

Edited by HarleysRule

Currently this quest seems to be bugged as you are unable to free the Prison Leaders.

To free the Prison Leaders, you have to select them and then use the item you obtained earlier that mission. It's a bit counter-intuitive, since you release the "normal" prisoners by clicking on the active placeables there, but it worked for me 100% of the time (if you know this and it still doesn't work for you, then yes, it is bugged and I was obviously just lucky).

Edited by Danylia

To free the Prison Leaders, you have to select them and then use the item you obtained earlier that mission. It's a bit counter-intuitive, since you release the "normal" prisoners by clicking on the active placeables there, but it worked for me 100% of the time (if you know this and it still doesn't work for you, then yes, it is bugged and I was obviously just lucky).

One of them is or was bugged in that when you clicked your icon when he was targetted, it said he's not shackled or some such message, but AFAIK it was just one of them.

I agree, there is no point for me in doing dailies in Section X, because time/reward ratio is much worse. I will much rather spend 45 mins for BH and Illum dialies for a total of 120k, than 2 hours for 100k in Section X.

Increase in daily comms gives nothing cos they are worthless in game. In those two hours I manage to finish other two daily areas plus a HM FP. Rewards simply do not correspond to difficulty of content. In my opinion they should make credit drop for this similar as in TfB, double at the very least.

On Bastion tonight all 3 were bugged from what I could tell. I selected all 3 and was unable to use the device in the quest log on any of them.

Lost Reconnaissance:

Whose bright idea was it to make the Wild Beast portion of this so stupidly rare? Ok, so if I kill a group of 4 Tuk'ata I get ONE kill closer to the 18 I need to complete the quest, but if I kill a group of 5 Bogwings I get 5 kills closer? Needless to say Bogwing groups are rare while the place is virtually littered with Tuk'ata and DROID groups that seem to do absolutely nothing (perhaps the droid groups are for the Republic?). Anyway, this needs to be adjusted. Granted it's a heroic 2 mission but who is honestly running more than 1 person regularly for such a simple quest? This is just a time sink as far as I can tell.

I found this really easy to solo, but my main is half dread guard/half campaign geared.

Defend the Shipment all over again. Currently this quest seems to be bugged as you are unable to free the Prison Leaders.

When I ran this I found that a single leader was bugged, but I was able to find one that wasn't and do him over and over again. Refresh rate is pretty quick.

Targeted Misfire:

The drop rate on the Airstrike Codes off of Marksmen is absurdly low. This needs to be adjusted immediately somehow. The amount of Marksmen spawns is already low, though there seems to be no shortage of strong and elite level jedi in the area. On top of this the respawn rates are abysmal. Add to this a low drop rate on the codes and it's a recipe for a ridiculous time sink. Everyone is running around trying to find 1 Marksmen in a group of 6 mobs, and even if you happen to find 3 marksmen in a single group, chances are you're likely to see zero code drops. It reminds me of Deadly Mutations if Deadly Mutations required a drop from the Cthon's.

This is the only one out of your listed issues that i found to be really problematic. I think doing this quest took as long as all the other combined.

The Aurora Cannon:

I have yet to even try Aurora Cannon yet. The consensus seems to be that it requires at least 3 people to do it, if not 4. Therefore I won't be doing this quest until sometime over the weekend. I understand this is a 4man Heroic though so I'll give Bioware the benefit of the doubt on this one for now.

I requires a full group of 4. There is a mechanic where two people have to click a shield to bring it down, 2 guys go through. Then the 2 that went through click from the other side to get the rest through. This is clearly intended to force people to do the 4 man as a 4 man and not to 3 or 2 man it. It's a little annoying, but it's clearly how they intended it.

I never do them alone because there is lot of mobs in it (plus imps who like to make my life miserable when I'm doint it on my poor gunslinger alt, but evade me in 50 yard radious when I'm on vanguard main, interessting :D), but when we team in 4 we burst through area in half an hour. And awards are much better then in other dailys area, money is great.

Never seen any buggs.

And I forgot to mention wipes, I never wiper in other daily areas, yesterday was in a team of 4 and we wiped 3 times so thats -20k. Definitely not worth it. Not going back there until they make it worthwhile

How did you wipe here? I soloed everything but the 4 man and never came close wiping (except for one but that was 2 v 1 world PvP). Sounds like you're doing it wrong.

Not a fan of Targeted Misfire. That mission is a misfire. However, I'm a enjoying Section X a great deal, especially on the Pub side. I see a vast difference between the Pub and Imp Daily areas. On the Pub side, there seems to be less spawn fighting, the areas and vaults are better designed for the multitudes. No Targeted Misfire on the Pub side to deal with for example. In addition, the open areas seem better laid out. The objectives are easy to get to though splash mobs are still possible. Speaking of splash mobs, I love Long Shots. :D Damn good H4

As for the difficulty, I like both areas. They were designed with groups or better geared players in mind. This is not a fresh 50 friendly area which is fine.

Overall. I give Section X Pub side, 4 out of 5 SirCopperfields. Section X Imp side? Unfortunately, it rates only 2 out of 5 SirCopperfields. The Imp side needs some adjustments. But overall these dailies are great fun in my view. They are more challenging and a great source of revenue.

Edited by Rafaman

Section X is cool, something different... New. I agree some of the quests need to be tweaked and bugs fixed... The air code drops are unacceptable and the bugged leaders you have to free would be horrendous IF players knew where to find ones who weren't bugged (everyone would camp him).

But, I don't agree with the mentality that Section X is terrible because its pay/time ratio is not "optimized". Anyone who wants to run the BH or Ilum for the 1000th time is welcomed to do so.

And any player who is "geared" who is having a hard time or wiping.... I mean I'm sorry, but they suck. I can easily solo every mission except the 4-man heroic and WB. And by easily, I MEAN easily. I'm not taunting myself as being some uBeR elite player. But when you're in full columi and you have a companion that is in recruit or tionese and you're having a hard time and/or wiping.... You're just not very good.

Overall. I give Section X Pub side, 4 out of 5 SirCopperfields. Section X Imp side? Unfortunately, it rates only 2 out of 5 SirCopperfields. The Imp side needs some adjustments. But overall these dailies are great fun in my view. They are more challenging and a great source of revenue.

Hmm I've only done Imp side, and I concur with 2/5 SCs. I'll have to give the Rep side a go to see if it's less horrid.

Targeted Misfire:

This is the only one that I have a gripe with.

I did it once with 3 guildies in a group, I think it was the day after the patch was up. This alone took over 30 minutes. It was so frustrating, that we decided to camp the different spawn points and use whatever aoe capabilities our characters had to tag the mob (without killing them) and then call the others so they will be near to witness the grace of the rare drop those codes are :rolleyes:

I'll never quest on Section X until I hear this is fixed.

I did enjoy the dailies in this area (Rep Side) but it does seem to take longer for same amount of BH Comms. Even if the quests took exactly the same length of time the fact that the two factions are shoulder to shoulder is gonna spice things up with griefing and ganking.

I'd look at doing this again only where in a group to start with and then only after I had completed all other dailies.

Side note: I did have a fun Imp/Rep party outside the Heroic 4 area for a while until some of the companion characters started a riot!! Party Jawa, Sprinkle Powder followed by tooth and hair flying!!

TLDR I disagree with the op. Section X is fun and rewarding!

I decided to take a shot at the new Section X dailies to see what they were like. My conclusion: the Section X dailies are buggy and the difficulty of them is extremely disproportionate compared to the rewards you receive.

I haven't run into any bugs in Section X and I've run it every night since it came out. You recieve a lot more commendations than in Black Hole so it should take longer and be more difficult.

Lost Reconnaissance:

Soloable and provides 4 commendations so it should take time! Actually takes a lot less time if you group like you're supposed to.

No bugs for me but the leaders do take longer to respawn than their men, perhaps your problem is a lack of patience?

Targeted Misfire:

The drop rate on the Airstrike Codes off of Marksmen is absurdly low. This needs to be adjusted immediately somehow. The amount of Marksmen spawns is already low, though there seems to be no shortage of strong and elite level jedi in the area. On top of this the respawn rates are abysmal. Add to this a low drop rate on the codes and it's a recipe for a ridiculous time sink.

Agreed. The repawn time on the marksmen needs to be quicker and/or there needs to be more of them. That said I have been able to improve my drop rate recently.

The Aurora Cannon:

You've really missed out as this is a great quest, especially if you love Ghostbusters. It does require 4 people but that is a good thing and we need more of that in Heroic 4 quests.

Data Raid:

A fairly easy mission, though the amount of strongs and elites seem fairly high considering the rewards. I have no major complaints about this mission, it seems balanced enough, though it should be on the more difficult end of the spectrum for a DAILY.

Very easy, almost too easy but since it provides the least commendations that's ok.

Hyperbiology:

No problems here, I think this is a well balanced quest, maybe even too easy, but maybe I only think that after I've done the rest of the missions.

Again almost too easy but I enjoy slaughtering klorslugs again so I'm happy with this quest as it is.

[Let me just say that I ran this on my main and these are my initial impressions. My main is a geared Assassin Tank with a decently geared HK-51 companion, which means that things are usually significantly easier for this toon than for other toons that I have at 50.

I've been running Section X on my Juggernaught tank who is geared enough for Tier 1 hard mode flashpoints but has no operation gear at all. I find them to be enjoyable and about the right difficulty. I have died a couple of times but that was because I did something stupid like accidentally aggro two groups at once.

I can run Black Hole dailies (including Torvix) in 20min solo. I haven't even finished all of the dailies on Section X and it's been over an hour...yet for some reason both of these daily sections give the same amount of Black Hole Commendations.

It usually takes me about 25 minutes to do everything in BH except Torvix. Its been that long since I last ran Torvix I can't remember how long it adds. These areas do not provide the same ammount of commendations. Not including the weekly BH provides 9 commendations daily. I can get that from Section X just by running Hyperbiology and Targeted Misfire! I'm not sure of the total daily count but it is deinitely a lot higher than the number from BH.

The commendations / minute ratio may be better for other daily areas but the new missions are fun, hard enough that I can't run them on autopilot and most importantly I haven't run them so many times before that I'm sick of them. More of this please Bioware!

I only have done the Section X dailies once (Pub side) and I they were definitely more difficult than the BH dailies which isn't a bad thing. I've done them once only because I have been busy, I would definitely at least like to get the weekly done every week.

I really enjoyed running into more Imps in the area. Got into a bunch of scraps in the one time I was there so it was awesome. The PvP part of the area is great as it seems many of the quest areas overlap which is something the PvP crowd has been asking for, for a while now.

It seem to packed to the gills with mobs which was problematic for the PvP but I decided early on I would really only be coming back here with a group. A lot of the quest while soloable seemed much better suited for grouping. So if I need some quick cash I'll head to BH; if need some more cash and I have a group I'll be heading to Section X to make life rough for the Imps and make some money. Win - win in my book.

Target Misfire and March of the Dread Guard needs to be reworked, too bad the community team is taking the week off. I don't say they shouldn't take days off, but this is like a second launch for them, there should be a stronger presence in the forums these days