Red Eclipse Fleet chat (Empire side)

scarlet_magpie

I played Wow for several years and enjoyed it until it became all pandas and repetition. One thing I did NOT enjoy in that game though was the horrible, spiteful, mememe, namecalling nasty fightzone called chat.

I would like to tip my hat here to one aspect of the game I find IMMENSELY enjoyable and it's nothing to do withthe developers:

FLEET CHAT.

Last night the following ensued:

XXX: Do not go in FP or OP with XXXXX he is NINJA

xxxx: He haz skillz?

XXX No he is theef. He is NIJA

xxxx: He must be a good one, he stole a letter from your word

XXX: What? he niJA

XXX : There goes another. He can steal words from letters! OH NOES!

xxxx: Do not group with him.

User: EWOKS RUN WILD!!!!

XXXX: NINJA ESCAPE PLAN!!

xxxxx: WTB uber letter thief skills!!

etc etc

It had me in stitches and it's just one example of the banter I see regularly. Great stuff. Don't stop!

Consider yourself lucky. On my server (JC), fleet chat imp side is typically a cesspool of filth, stupidity, and bile. Or drivel about bacon, jawas, or both. Shakes my already tenuous faith in humanity.

I disagree completely. The jawa spam is amusing to me and I rarely see cases of outright filth and they get shut down pretty quick.

Stupidity, on the other hand, is a bit more common.

That said, any server that occasionally breaks out into Monty Python quote marathons is worth the minor headaches.

Consider yourself lucky. On my server (JC), fleet chat imp side is typically a cesspool of filth, stupidity, and bile. Or drivel about bacon, jawas, or both. Shakes my already tenuous faith in humanity.

You can effect change if you want to.

While I often am busy and hence ignore chat, sometimes I'll notice an ask for help.. and I'll give help.. hopefully before they get trolled for asking. But.. sometimes I just jump in for a bit and shift the dialog to be less troll-like and more humorous and light hearted like scarlet_magpie shared with us here. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I get trolled for it.. but either way.. it breaks up the banter.

TL;DR we all own the channel... take it away from the negative trolls IMO. Or ignore it. I do some of both.

Edited by Andryah

I disagree completely. The jawa spam is amusing to me and I rarely see cases of outright filth and they get shut down pretty quick.

That said, any server that occasionally breaks out into Monty Python quote marathons is worth the minor headaches.

Yeah, the Jawa stuff is pretty humorous.

The plain vanilla stupid.. well.. as they say... you can't fix stupid. But you can still derail it with wit more often then not. :)

Well, that silly banter or PvP raging is better than all misogynist, homophobic and overall proud douchery you can come across.

I wish there was a channel for recruitment, so all the pugs and guild whatevs could go through there. That way you can safely turn off gen chat and you know you dont miss anything

The jawa spam was admittedly entertaining the first five hundred times. A thousand instances later, I'm somewhat less amused. When I'm on fleet and I see the jawa banter begin, then go do a FP or WZs for half an hour, come back and they're STILL on the frikking jawas...I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I just don't find it funny anymore.

I guess the truly filthy crap isn't as common as jawa talk, but it happens frequently. Lots of smh moments.

You can effect change if you want to.

While I often am busy and hence ignore chat, sometimes I'll notice an ask for help.. and I'll give help.. hopefully before they get trolled for asking. But.. sometimes I just jump in for a bit and shift the dialog to be less troll-like and more humorous and light hearted like scarlet_magpie shared with us here. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I get trolled for it.. but either way.. it breaks up the banter.

TL;DR we all own the channel... take it away from the negative trolls IMO. Or ignore it. I do some of both.

To an extent. I'm often the first to answer questions like "what's a smuggler's main stat" or "where's the mod station", while other folks will often simply berate the guy merely for asking. So I do what I can, and there are certainly other helpful players out there too. But there's only so much change a minority can effect, when that minority is facing a crushing tsunami of vitriol. That's what it feels like sometimes.

I leave the chat window open mostly due to "gaper block" syndrome. I can't stop staring at the wreck.

The only time I ever got irate about stuff on Red Eclipse Imp Fleet was a girl "pretending" to almost solicit herself for credits. There were several people displeased with her post, and she got berated for it by several people. I say she was "pretending" because after she got several hostile responses she then had a hissy fit about how we were all too stupid to get her brilliant parody of credit spammers... because giving the impression that you're offering to flash your breasts for credits is so funny. :rolleyes:

I haven't seen too much of anything else though as I tend to have the channel switched to other.

Even the guild recruitment spam can be fun. I started my new guild last night (designed for brand new players to seek help , advice and groups without being shot down in /general) and we said things like "Join Black Sunshine: Trinket and baubles will be yours" and "Black Sunshine recruiting brand new players now: the only guild that can guarantee permanent chest hair" . Of course this was then followed by a stream of completely silly guild spams that were hilarious!