Sniper/Gunslinger Specs and Strategies for HM Oricon Part 1

paowee

EDIT: Please put your post in an easy to read format (divided per boss) for better viewing pleasure :)

Discussion thread. Post your Oricon findings and experiences here!

Paowee / B'oard

INITIAL: 16-man HM ORICON

1) First boss

Still at work

2) Drakus

Still at work

3) Grobthok

This boss is fun as Engineering. Adds pop frequently screaming for your AoEs. Although the boss is around medium-sized which means not all your scatter bombs will hit (unless you can roll-in-place). I will most likely roll Engi for this boss (in HM) for fun :)

MM Entrench could be useful later in the fight when he starts to knock up the raid faster.

Lethality useful when you get targeted by the mining claw and need to run.

Notes:

Entrench doesn't work(?). Knock-up can not be prevented. How about BH/Trooper HO/HTL?

4) Corruptor Zero

Engi wasn't good for this fight. Depending on your tanks if they LOS to clump up the adds then you can probably hit all of the adds. Other than that the adds seem to be too spread apart. I'd say MM due to the timer on Orbital/Flyby plus it makes it easy for you to target swap to kill off any stragglers.

Lethality if your raid can run it so that you do minimal target swaps then dot spec will be good as well.

Not much to say really, kill adds, DPS boss, "dance to the beat of the laser beam." Don't go all crazy about DPSing adds, its possible for you to tunnel and forget to dance around the map.

Laser beam phase - would be pretty cool if MM Snipers/SS Slingers can Entrench/Hunker Down tank it :rolleyes:. Need confirmation.

5) Brontes

Engi - yeah good luck with that.... lol!

MM and Lethality - i'm liking dot spec for this fight because of the movement requirements. MM would be nice for target swapping (as usual) if your raid needs you to. But as Lethality you can just stay on the big adds and pop Orbital on the small adds whenever they spawn from the ground. The timers seems to align with your 45s anyways.

Notes:

Defensive abilities - AoE reduction for MM is great help to your healers when the tentacles hit the raid (tanks lose aggro or during aggro resets)

Ranged - this fight is going to suck as melee especially when doing it for the first time. The Hand's slams and the Hand's lightning rod mechanic will make you happy you rolled ranged DPS :)

Kephess adds - die pretty fast in 16-man HM. If you are forced to target swap to kill it then MM will be good. Otherwise you can go DoT spec and just stick DPS to the boss.

Tank - this is more of a tank fight imo. Especially during learning phase. Some mechanic about tank swapping and the debuffs the Hands give em :rolleyes:

Orbs - do NOT take any orbs at 10 stacks. That will kill you. Pop it at 15 stacks. Kite the orb and make sure to not let it run through raid members. Once it hits 15 stacks run to it some where safe.

Lightning rod tentacle phase - they spawn randomly in pairs and form a tether. This is a REACTION time check. Use your roll to run to safety when you get in a tight spot.

(Called at 10 pm. Doing Palace tomorrow)

My only comment is on Corruptor Zero. This boss dies too fast at least in 16-man. They should increase his HP imo...

16-m DREAD PALACE

1) Bestia

Ehh... Lots of adds, could be nice for Engineering AoE but didn't find it to be that optimal outside of the little add phase. Big adds and boss hit circle is too small. Any spec should be good for this fight. Lethality DoTs can be good when adds are neatly stacked up (aoe taunt :)), MM's short cd Orbital is going to be good as well.

Overall pretty fun and hectic fight :)

Mechanics:

Big adds - afaik little adds will spawn as long as they are alive. 2 will spawn and tanked in opposite ends of the room because they buff each other with "Brooding."

Little adds - we stagger our Orbitals/Flybys for the little adds. Raid focuses on the big adds first and then finish off the little adds when the big ones are dead. They do a nasty spit with aoe dmg (iirc) so don't stack on top of each other.

Sniper/Slinger bubble: We had 4 Slingers and staggered the bubbles per add wave. We just rotate the bubbles on cooldown during the Big/Little adds phase.

Tentacles - we had 2 (or 3?) people on tentacle duty and they just dps it down while (IMPORTANT) interrupting its cast. Nasty damage to somebody if not interrupted.

Boss red puddle - red puddle brews at your feet. got around a second before it spawns and 1 shots people standing in it. It deals 17k 17k damage to me in 1 second.

2) Tyrans

Basically a DPS race. Not a lot of movement. The raid should pick the outermost tiles for deletion first and work their way inward. You run out of tiles , you wipe. >_<

I don't see any particular spec being better than the other. Go with whatever gives you the most single target DPS.

loltip: Do some acrobatics and "diagonally" roll from one tile to the other.

3) Calyphus

"Puzzle boss." Too long to type >_<

Past state - Evasion/Dodge can cleanse Mass Affliction

Present state - Roll out of the hueg aoe circle he puts on one random raid member. The circle deals dmg and slows at the same time so either entrench it if you are MM or just roll out of it asap.

Future state - tank and spank... we have the raid AoE / whittle down as much of the yellow crystals while waiting for the Past group. Drop an Orbital on one of the patches but don't kill any crystal. You need to kill the right crystal (designated by the Past group) otherwise its GG.

4) Raptus

Have to say, the fights are getting cooler and cooler the further we progress into the instances. This is my favorite boss so far!

Huge Conal Knockback - roll out of it each time. MM Entrench during platform phase. Coordinate Sniper bubbles with the raid during platform phases to reduce raid damage taken.

Target resets - there are target resets but they last long enough for 1 round of your dots to do its full damage. DoT spec = MM spec for this fight imo.

Challenged - lol do not hit him until the challenge runs out. He will just reflect the damage.

Colors - Red Dps, Green healers, Blue tanks. Have to click your corresponding color every platform phase.

Portals - We try to run into the portal at the same time. Does the portal close after a set timer? What if one DPS is late to enter his portal?

(Called it at 9:50 PM)

Gear: wearing 4-pc PVE set bonus

5) Dread Masters

Other notes:

I've been running 4-pc PVE set bonus throughout the entire instance and do not feel that i am doing less DPS compared to my raid group. I've been running Lethality exclusively now (dot spec) and it is pretty competitive. I do not use Orbital on CD as full lethality and use it only during adds phases e.g. Bestia big adds + little adds

edit. see first page

Grobthok

Was late due to work and wasn'table to do 1st and 2nd boss. Was able to do the 3rd boss (Grobthok?) and this boss is good as Engineering. Adds pop frequently screaming for your AoEs. The boss is around medium-sized which means not all your scatter bombs will hit (unless you can roll-in-place). I will most likely roll Engi for this boss (in HM) for the fun :)

MM Entrench could be useful later in the fight when he starts to knock up the raid faster.

Lethality Useful when you get targeted by the mining claw and need to run.

Corruptor Zero

Engi wasn't good for this fight. Depending on your tanks if they LOS to clump up the adds then you can probably hit all of the adds.

MM seems to be good for this fight. Will definitely make it easier to target swap DPS down any stragglers.

Lethality if your raid can run it so that you do minimal target swaps then dot spec will be good as well.

Not much to say really, kill adds, DPS boss, "dance to the beat of the laser beam." Don't go all crazy about DPSing adds, its possible for you to tunnel and forget to dance around the map.

Brontes

Engi - yeah good luck with that.... lol!

MM and Lethality - i'm liking dot spec for this fight because of the movement requirements. MM would be nice for target swapping (as usual) if your raid needs you to. But as Lethality you can just stay on the big adds and pop Orbital on the small adds whenever they spawn from the ground. The timers seems to align with your 45s anyways.

Defensive abilities - AoE reduction for MM is great help to your healers when the tentacles hit the raid (tanks lose aggro or during aggro resets)

Ranged - this fight is going to suck as melee especially when doing it for the first time. The Hand's slams and the Hand's lightning rod mechanic will make you happy you rolled ranged DPS :)

Kephess adds - die pretty fast in 16-man HM. If you are forced to target swap to kill it then MM will be good. Otherwise you can go DoT spec and just stick DPS to the boss.

Tank - this is more of a tank fight imo. Especially during learning phase. Some mechanic about tank swapping and the debuffs the Hands give em :rolleyes:

Orbs - do NOT take any orbs at 10 stacks. That will kill you. Pop it at 15 stacks. Kite the orb and make sure to not let it run through raid members. Once it hits 15 stacks run to it some where safe.

Lightning rod tentacle phase - they spawn randomly in pairs and form a tether. This is a REACTION time check. Use your roll to run to safety when you get in a tight spot.

(Called at 10 pm. Doing Palace tomorrow)

Grobthok

Was late due to work and wasn'table to do 1st and 2nd boss. Was able to do the 3rd boss (Grobthok?) and this boss is good as Engineering. Adds pop frequently screaming for your AoEs. The boss is around medium-sized which means not all your scatter bombs will hit (unless you can roll-in-place). I will most likely roll Engi for this boss (in HM) for the fun :)

Well, engineering is great for Grobthok himself but the adds should be handled exclusively by the tank :p

Well, engineering is great for Grobthok himself but the adds should be handled exclusively by the tank :p

When i roll i see round 2 bombs drop outside his hit box so... :|

But yep you are still right, this boss in HM seems to be a very Engineering friendly :) The adds don't live long enough to even be tanked (in 16-m). As soon as they drop, I AoE them down by myself and they're mostly around a little bit less than half HP after that and the other DPS finishes them off.

One thing I noticed on the third boss is that Entrench / Hunker down does not prevent you from being knocked up (when the boss does the random smash and when he does the more frequent smashes with the pipe in his hand). Quite annoying to be honest, esp. for lightning sorc :>

One thing I noticed on the third boss is that Entrench / Hunker down does not prevent you from being knocked up (when the boss does the random smash and when he does the more frequent smashes with the pipe in his hand). Quite annoying to be honest, esp. for lightning sorc :>

Oh that's good to know.. Thanks for testing. I just assumed Entrench is going to provide you immunity >_<

Didn't get many opportunities to check it out so I could be mistaken, but I think (for 8 man) Entrench worked for me for the pipe smash but not for the random one he does once in a while. Could be easily tested next week (or this week by someone who hasn't done it yet) to know for sure.

A few other things:

The dots on the first and second bosses can be cleansed with evasion. Hardly surprising, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

The adds that explode on death in the second boss encounter can be knocked back, so if you have some almost dead ones gunning for you, the knockback + root from it is enough to keep them away.

The repair droids on the fourth boss are standard mobs, so anything that specifically stuns standards/weaks will work. Orbital / Flyby can serve double purpose on these by both killing them and locking them down for the duration.

Lastly, and most importantly, the self destructing trash mobs are affected by knockbacks and such so make sure to kill as much of your raid as possible with them. :D

Also affected by pulls (which my team learned the hard way from having two vanguard tanks), but let's try to keep that from being public knowledge.

Paowee, just to clear up any confusion: When you say "Lethality" do you mean full Lethality or the Hybrid Spec? Or both?
Both :)

Also,

Corruptor Zero

~20% phase, in HM he always spawns on the North side of the map. Raid needs to be ready to run to either the east or west unless they want to get blasted. After North, the boss is going to appear on the east side of the map and the raid moves either north and south. Rinse and repeat.

Can you use Entrench/Hunker down to tank CZero's laser beams? My log indicates ~25,000 damage taken (death) from the laser beam. With Entrench/Hunker Down 60% dmg reduction.....:rolleyes:

side note: i'm willing to bet for NiM Oricon this guy will now spawn randomly during his 20% burn phase >__<

A couple things we encountered last night on Nefra 16Man HM.

Snipers in our Raid were popping Evasion on the first DOT (Who Bars the Way's Voice of the Masters) hit from the Boss. The Snipers were paired with a counterpart so they could cleanse on the second DOT. Evasion will be coming off CD for the 3rd DOT. So we kept that evolution going. The DOT hits for 2407 a tick and last about 10-12s. He'll cast it every 27-30s on the Raid so just keep an eye on your Debuff bar or the animation. We popped off Ballistic Shield each time just to help mitigate some of the attacks. We had 4 Snipers, 3 MM and the Hybrid. Most of us are pretty well geared.

We positioned the Raid Line Abreast spread 15m apart in the middle of the square semi raised platform. Everyone kept an eye out for the Overloaded Assault Droid when he spawned and called him out. We kept Target of Target on him so we could see where/who he was going after. He switched targets a few times. while running around. There is nothing you can really do about him. Get out of the Red Circle ASAP. It'll hit every time for 130K. Use your roll.

Other than those key items, we just burned him down. There is no reason you should be closer than 30m. There is a nasty cleave he does and kick to the Tanks. You do not want to be in the way.

I went in as the Hybrid with mostly 72's and a 78 OH. I have a 2-3 69's and one 66 Enhancement to keep me at BIS for now. 2 Piece PVE Set Bonus.

Quick Stat Run Down.

MH DMG, 1757-1908

MH Bonus DMG 1078

Bonus Tech DMG 1566

Cunning 3421

Crit 23% ( 0 Rating for me)

Surge 70% (381 Rating)

ACC. 99.5

HP 35645

On after thought I should have tried Full Leth to see how well Lingering Toxins mitigates some of the DOT. I would like to see how Suit FOE handles the DOT from the Merc/Commando crowd as well but thats for another time. We are doing Draxus tonight.

Group Logs. Missing a few Logs from some of the Raid members. We did not have our full 16Man Progression Team, some were pickups from the Guild who were semi-geared.

http://www.torparse.com/g/8624

-J:cool:

Edited by Mythurin

HM BRONTES

Something weird with the blue spheres on brontes.

It is possible to roll through the blue sphere and pop it with 0 stacks (thus helping your healers and letting you focs on DPS). But it does not work 100% of the time. Maybe it has got something to do with range or timing but sometimes you pop the sphere when you roll and sometimes you dont.

Things to try:

1) Roll when the sphere is close to you (you hit it at beginning of your roll)

2) Roll when sphere is 8m away

3) Roll when sphere is 15m away (you hit it at the end of your roll)

If it doesn't work i hope you are MM/SS and immediately pop entrench + shield probe + baliistic dampers that should leave you with 25% hp (poppping a blue sphere with around 5 stacks).

Didn't get many opportunities to check it out so I could be mistaken, but I think (for 8 man) Entrench worked for me for the pipe smash but not for the random one he does once in a while. Could be easily tested next week (or this week by someone who hasn't done it yet) to know for sure.

[/i]

HM8 Grob'thok

Tested and confirmed: Entrench doesn't work on the knock-up from Grob'thok's Overhead Smash (single knock-up), but does work on Pipe Smash (continuous knock-ups until interrupted).

HM8 Brontes

When rolling the spheres the normal way, it seemed to work best for me when starting the roll close to it (though the trigger radius seems bigger than the size of the sphere, so gotta be careful). That said, I ended up semi-rolling in place (running forward while doing it do a short roll) because when doing it normally the sphere didn't always pop.

They have me kiting Raptus on the final DP encounter and I'm not sure if I'm going about it the right way. Is running around in a big circle the best? turning around when he does the frontal cone? There's so much going on and I don't want other people to get hit with the slam. Any other snipers given this job have any advice?

You can run between Raptus' throne and Tyrans' throne (forgot which boss but whichever is the one that is standing leftmost of the map). First you drop the slam facing Raptus' throne, then next you run to the (left) boss' throne and drop the slam there. Hmm hope that made sense lol.

[Raptus]                            [b]
[b]                     [color="Purple"]^^^[/color]
[color="Green"]^^^   [/color]                                                                        [b]
                          {center of map}

^^^ is direction of the slam. You alternate between ^^^ and ^^^

Edited by paowee

Just did the council in story mode ( guild 16m drunken friday raid ^_^ ) and I found that it was just better to run around the edges. Running back and forth just made it easier to mess it up.

For us running round the map made it messy lol. We can DPS Tyrans and Raptus fast enough so that we get past that phase. :o

A little info for snipers on Raptus Kiting duty (5th boss in Dread Palace). The frontal cone 3.5s channel + knockback always comes 3 global cooldowns after the boss does smash (or whatever the AoE attack is called). This is a huge help for me personally to know when to turn the boss in such a way as to not knockback the melees / tanks on bestia / calphayus to the pit.