I want to start reading star wars...

XArthurX

The place to start would be the novelization, Star Wars: from the Adventures of Luke Skywalker, credited to George Lucas but ghostwritten by Alan Dean Foster.

You don't have to have played KOTOR, but apparently all of the Revan stuff that bores me to tears would be a lot more interesting if you have.

The Thrawn trilogy is what kicked off the whole EU thing, so it's a good starting point. I'm still kind of a layperson when it comes to this Star Wars stuff, but I don't think it hurts too much to skip around - I figure it's like comic books, where you figure out which characters you like and just focus on reading whatever they're in.

I would second the Thrawn Trilogy by Zahn. I won't claim it is the greatest writing ever, but it seems to be a good smooth transition from the movies to the Expanded Universe (EU) and gives you a point of reference for a lot of what is discussed later.

I also enjoyed the book about Malgus "Deceived" is an interesting insight if you want to stick closer to SWTOR.

The place to start would be the novelization, Star Wars: from the Adventures of Luke Skywalker, credited to George Lucas but ghostwritten by Alan Dean Foster.

You don't have to have played KOTOR, but apparently all of the Revan stuff that bores me to tears would be a lot more interesting if you have.

If you haven't played KOTOR then Revan isn't as interesting. He's an interesting character because you walked in his shoes. I played KOTOR and KOTOR II a decent amount - I played to midgame on both and then started a light-side and dark-side version so I had 2 endings for each game. Doing so took me about 30 hours on KOTOR and 34 on KOTOR II. Spend 64 hours playing a game and you'll find the main characters nostalgic.

Thrawn trilogy is pretty good, but I'd just start with both main trilogies, I till III and IV till VI.

In my opinion, the best star wars books are those written by Matthew Stover; Episode 3, Shatterpoint, Luke Skywalker and the shadows of Mindor and ,the best one; Traitor. Seriously, I've read Tolkien, Tolstoj and some other good writers, but Stover is best.