Qyzen Fess uses Aim. WHY

rdycheck

Actually if you mouse over AIM on your character sheet the tool tip actually says 'Aim increases your aptitude with ranged weapons' so how is it not a ranged stat?

Technically a techblade is a ranged weapon....just a very short range.... ;)

As mentioned, the Aim primary stat is purely to give him access to Trooper gear.

Actually if you mouse over AIM on your character sheet the tool tip actually says 'Aim increases your aptitude with ranged weapons' so how is it not a ranged stat?

Because Qyzen used be ranged but BioWare changed it, yet made it so his unique weapon, the techblade, still used aim as a stat.

Aim can be whatever BioWare decide they want it to be, in Qyzen's case, it is a melee stat.

he is decked out it str gear right now for me and since trandoshens seem to only display certain armor slots, it works fine visually, so i dont understand your point. and obviously putting a tanking companion in consular robes would be counterproductive.

at this point it seems:

any heavy armor with str or aim on it is fair game visually and practically.

i'm not mistaking anything about aim, my original point was saying that according to the tooltip, he is decked out like a noob, because according to the game itself, it IS a ranged stat only, and as he is 100% not ranged, i decided to qq a little

Strength gear is OK, but inferior to Aim. Qyzen does a mixture of Melee and Tech damage. Strength will boost his melee damage, but will not improve his Tech damage. For example his AOE attacks do Tech. I am not sure if any portion of his main strikes are Tech or not. Aim will benefit all of his attacks across the board.

I give him all the Aim items I find in heavy armour and keep his Techblade up to date as much as possible for his level.

And he hits hard.

Those that give him Jedi guardian armours are gimping him and he is not being useful in battle. I have a hard time to get agro off him now he has the EMP blast wave.

That is because, for *your* character, Aim only augments damage with ranged attacks. For *Qyzen's* character, Aim is his primary stat and augments his ranged (which he doesn't have), melee, and Tech powers.

All of the companions have primary stats and many of them differ from the "normal" use of that attribute. The fact that the character is covered in that particular stat *should* be hint to figure out why exactly, especially since it's not as if he suddenly becomes amazingly powerful if you deck him out in str gear as opposed to aim (which should happen if aim does nothing for him).

THIS IS WHY

Fess wears HEAVY ARMOR. Good luck finding heavy armor with strength. I can't find much on my server. Heavy armor is gonna have aim on it mostly. putting medium armor on your tank is silly. tough it out, get the heavy stuff with aim and enjoy

If you find heavy+aim gear use it. If you find heavy+str gear, use it. They stat out the same.

THIS IS WHY

Fess wears HEAVY ARMOR. Good luck finding heavy armor with strength. I can't find much on my server. Heavy armor is gonna have aim on it mostly. putting medium armor on your tank is silly. tough it out, get the heavy stuff with aim and enjoy

If you find heavy+aim gear use it. If you find heavy+str gear, use it. They stat out the same.

No No No NO No No No!!

For the hundredth time. STR only increases melee. AIM increases melee and tech.

In other words, all of Qyzens abilities rely on his AIM stat.

People stack STR on Qyzen and start whining that he is unable to keep aggro and mobs keep attacking them, because his taunts and shields and such all rely on AIM.

Also, there is plenty of Heavy armour with STR, as that's what JKs wear.

• 2 weeks later...

All of the stats affected for Qyzen Fess:

Melee Bonus Damage: both Strength and Aim are there and add an amount of bonus melee damage equal to 20% of their total.

Melee Critical Chance: both Strength and Aim are there, but Strength will add 1 percentage point every ~68.88 points whereas Aim will add 1 percentage point every ~73.95 points.

Tech Bonus Damage: only Aim is present here, and it still adds 20% of the total to damage with Tech skills.

Tech Critical Chance: only Aim is present here, and it still adds 1 percentage point every ~73.95 points.

SO: although Strength wins out in one category by a hair, it's to such a small degree that it's almost negligible. Aim is present in twice as many stats and you shouldn't joke yourself into thinking he doesn't use Tech skills in battle. He does very, very often. What weapon he uses in the game bears no importance at all. He could be throwing firebolts from Harry Potter's wand or be swinging with Chairy from Pee-wee's Playhouse, it doesn't matter. We're talking about Strength and Aim, and above is a breakdown of how both play into Qyzen's stats.

Go for Aim.

• 11 months later...