Class Representatives Are Here!

EricMusco

This is the stupidest crap I've ever heard. Bringing this popularity contest into the game will serve nothing. I suppose they're trying to find ways of getting players to do their work for them. To know how people feel all they need do is read the forums once in a while.

This is just to make the star bellied sneeches feel more special, and I highly doubt that anything good will come from this, because it will be just a select few yapping their thoughts, and the rest will go unheard, and in the end, the Bioware people will just do whatever they want anyhow.

Why do they even bother to put people thru this stuff. I suppose they feel all good about 'trying to get people involved.' Yeah, whatever, go vote in your popularity contest. I for one think its BS and won't be bothered. Enjoy your little elitist club.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And to Eric,

To help alleviate some issues with RP, PvP and PvE class issues, perhaps instead of appointing two players each for each AC (which you guys are not willing to do, which I tunderstand), is it possible to have the following instead:

1. RP Representitive

2. PvE Representitive

3. PvP Represetitive

In this way, we can also get some dialogue going with the 3 known gameplay styles.

No way! He crazy!! :p

J/K Pistols. :D

While I can see value in separate focus for PvP and PvE... I'm of the mind to let Bioware drive this into place and see how it works before making sweeping judgments on how it needs to be partitioned (if at all).

Good representatives WILL represent both interests.... so have some faith IMO. The Class interests are key.

I don't think we need double the representation (meaning 1 PvE primarily and 1 PvP primarily Commando for example), but I think each playstyle should have an individual representative - PvP, PvE (Ops and FPs), RP and Space.

Andryah, this may come as a shock to thee, but it doesn't matter what this game is mostly centered around. If the game offers BOTH PvE and PvP, then both gameplay options are equally important.

Thank you.

Spoken like a true minority interest. :)

It's more basic then even you are stating. ALL gameplay options are equally important. And history has shown in MMOs that PvPers don't care about PvE interests. To some degree the reverse is also true..but to nowhere near the extreme. But the reality is that good representatives for the classes will be people with a balanced view of PvE and PvP.. NOT the hardcore in either camp.

Like in politics.. so many things in the world run better under "centrist" principles.

Edited by Andryah

I suggest SirCopperfield to be named representative of all advanced clases since we all know he has all of them on lvl 55 and therefore understands swtor's gameplay best of all in context of other classes as well. He's also professional gamer, which can't hurt either.

Do you have any designs to ensure the "Elected" reps actually represent the needs of the class, and are actually informed on the class?

I have concern of this becoming the popular kid vote in high school instead of something useful as it could be.

PS: This did not work well in DAOC.

Edited by Maelael

I only know a handful of people that are actually exclusive to PvE or PvP. Most seem to do both.

Still, I think it would be beneficial to have separate PvP and PvE representatives because the people most educated in the class mechanics tend to focus on one or the other.

• Dev Post
And to Eric,

To help alleviate some issues with RP, PvP and PvE class issues, perhaps instead of appointing two players each for each AC (which you guys are not willing to do, which I tunderstand), is it possible to have the following instead:

1. RP Representitive

2. PvE Representitive

3. PvP Represetitive

In this way, we can also get some dialogue going with the 3 known gameplay styles.

This is something we definitely talked about as a part of this program. For now our goal is to launch the Class Representatives and see how it goes. If it is well received on both sides and people like the dialog it creates. If it works, we will talk about expanding it, like you suggested above.

As you can see from this very thread some folks are hesitant about the concept. We too want to see how it goes before we roll it out too broadly!

It's more basic then even you are stating. ALL gameplay options are equally important. And history has shown in MMOs that PvPers don't care about PvE interests.

Glad to see you're completely unbiased and as open minded as ever...:rolleyes:

Don't insult an entire group of players like that Andryah. The complete opposite is true from my experience. I PvP and PvE. I consider myself a "PvPer" because it's what I would "prefer" to do...it's not what I ONLY do.

(I'm commenting on your original post, not your newly edited version)

It's more basic then even you are stating. ALL gameplay options are equally important. And history has shown in MMOs that PvPers don't care about PvE interests. To some degree the reverse is also true..but to nowhere near the extreme. But the reality is that good representatives for the classes will be people with a balanced view of PvE and PvP.. NOT the hardcore in either camp.

Like in politics.. so many things in the world run better under "centrist" principles.

What history? Did you make up this history, or is there an actual honest to god history and statistics of MMOs thing I'm missing here?

I can say from personal experience, with 100% certainty, that more PvPers care about PvE than PvErs care about PvP. In reality, its the PvE heavy people that tend to hate PvP, and the heavy PvP people could take or leave PvE, and at least are interested and informed in it for gear/progression purposes - along with many things translating back well.

Best reps will be hardcore in the class, regardless of PvP or PvE. Lacking either "Extreme" would be fail of someone described as a class expert.

Edited by Maelael

Given the vocal lack of trust toward the developers in the forums.. I'm going to say that having player representatives is a good move. If nothing else, it disarms some of the rhetoric and lets the community start to discuss objectively the classes needs/wants/shortfalls.

You of all people should know that player on player discourse is often more vitriolic than player on dev.

With the stakes being what issues get passed to the devs, it's going to be rougher than you think.

It took almost three years for the player rep idea to sort out for EQ2. In the end, SOE asked for nominations and selected players they knew had a history of supporting their class as well as having good communication with devs.

This is something we definitely talked about as a part of this program. For now our goal is to launch the Class Representatives and see how it goes. If it is well received on both sides and people like the dialog it creates. If it works, we will talk about expanding it, like you suggested above.

As you can see from this very thread some folks are hesitant about the concept. We too want to see how it goes before we roll it out too broadly!

The problem with this Eric, is that, take Commando for example - it plays VERY differently in PvP (Assault build) than it does in PvE (Gunnery build). While there may be a phenomenal Commando Rep out there, I worry that they may overlook how an ability works in PvP if they are extensively PvE. I'm sure a good Rep can be found, but I worry about this because I've seen it happen in another Star Wars based MMO.

Also, we get comments from the Devs like "we didn't wanna just reskin some new WZ's for you" and I'm left aghast because...we could actually use EXACTLY that. PvPers need some variety Eric...it has nothing to do with any "class".

In regard to the PvP concerns above, you really should consider having a pair of reps designated to address the concerns of the PvP community. Their Q&A threads should be posted in the PvP forum, and obviously their homework should be done primarily there.

These two PvP reps should not be chosen for playing a particular class but should be selected to make sure you have one active Republic PvP player and one active Empire PvP player for each term.

You should make an effort to ensure these people actually PvP a lot and are well known among PvP'ers, which you could do by requiring them to show that they have at least one character that has reached a significant level of valor, completed at least one of the top PvP achievements, or holds a reasonably high rating from ranked play.

Edited by Heezdedjim

My concern is there are several million people playing this game and of course it is impossible to keep everyone happy so the representatives could get a serious amount of backlash if they overlooked a certain problem.

Generally, it sounds like a good idea, so long as:

(1) Class reps never get mod powers on the forums. Ever.

(2) Class reps serve short terms and are limited to a small number of nonconsecutive terms.

(3) Class reps are not paid or gifted any in-game perks, travel, sub time, CC, or anything else of value from Bioware, and agree not to accept the same from anyone else if it is in any way related to their duties.

Edited by Heezdedjim

I have seen "class representatives" work in a good way in Anarchy Online and totally crash in Warhammer Online.

It might turn in to a popularity contest where only a known name gets elected with no skill, or it might actually be one that knows his/her class.

Time will tell if it works in this game.

Edited by Icestar

Fair enough.

I think this is something that was needed at launch, as it helps breakdown for the Developers what exactly the player concerns are over a particular class, gameplay aspect, etc is important. Starting with classes is probably a good start, and hope the players understand that this tool can be utilized to help better their class performance. I also am in hopes each gameplay aspect will at some point have their own Reps, as I think these could also be very beneficial to player/developer dialogue. Cause right now, it seems we are worlds apart.

See ya next Thursday. :rak_03:

I like this idea but i am afraid you would really need a rep for each Advanced class!

I find it hard to believe that (for example) a Sniper (DPS AC)representative is going to give a dam* about concerns that the operative audience (Healing AC) has

While it's great to get class reps (and I support the bifurcation of PvP from PvE since they are *very* different concerns), I'm curious if there is any chance of getting *role* representatives.

Balance exists much more as a comparison of like groups and, while AC is one example of it, from a raw balance/design perspective, role are of greater impact and comparative concern than the ACs themselves.

Given the vocal lack of trust toward the developers in the forums.. I'm going to say that having player representatives is a good move. If nothing else, it disarms some of the rhetoric and lets the community start to discuss objectively the classes needs/wants/shortfalls.

I'm not saying more community involvement is not good, I just see this causing more problems than it solves, although I hope not. But there is also my first point that the reasons they give for doing this conflicts with their reasons for not having polls!