I think I might be leaving, guys.

Brosephiine

If you think the community is bad and pin it on the reason your leaving, why would you even bother posting to the community in the first place?

I'm not sure you read my first post entirely. Or at least to the point where I said, "Please convince me to stay."

It was sort of a last ditch effort to see if I'm the only one noticing this or if I'm missing something.

Edited by Brosephiine

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been around since the game was released pretty much. Been posting on and off on the forums since I got the game and I'm sadly disappointed. Perhaps I'm not finding those golden kernel threads where there's a good community and all that, but the forums are just filled to bursting with people doing almost nothing but complaining. And any time you say anything in disagreement, you're a "fanboi" who doesn't know anything about game development (even though I majored in game design at some point in the past.)

Honestly, the community (or lack there of) has made the forums nothing but a headache. :<

Someone please convince me that there's hope, I wanna see an actual community! And so far it's just been the facts about girls thread that's had any luck in that department. :<

(D+ for complaining about complaining? :p )

(F for grammar fail in the thread title.)

You are right...theres forums and threads where people are having some interesting discussions, but you really do have to look for them. Most of the time, threads that have promise tend to get drowned out by people who have nothing going for them but nerd rage...and anything said to contradict them is drowned out with "I am right because LOUD!". Its a little disheartening.

One of the other posters here actually mentioned something that could work out fairly well. They spoke about a private facebook page that they belong to. Granted, its not the same as being on here, and the community would be a little 'cozy', but you wouldn't have to deal with people screaming about how SWTOR won't work on their 15 year old Pentium II computer, and thus, the game is...well...this is polite company, so ill just let that one go.

Yes some posts on this forum are depressing, and will make you hate the game.

Some complains are justified, but threatening to leave for everything is ridiculous.

Love the game in my books, I give it one year chance.

If Bioware can keep the over one million subs it will look awesome in the future....

1.3 will bring some good stuff around and hopefully fix low pop server issues!

Realm forums would help greatly. I made some solid friends (and enemies of course) on the SWG and WoW realm forums. But yeah, over here, the only forum I mildly enjoy reading is the Story and Lore forum.

Been around since the game was released pretty much. Been posting on and off on the forums since I got the game and I'm sadly disappointed. Perhaps I'm not finding those golden kernel threads where there's a good community and all that, but the forums are just filled to bursting with people doing almost nothing but complaining. And any time you say anything in disagreement, you're a "fanboi" who doesn't know anything about game development (even though I majored in game design at some point in the past.)

Honestly, the community (or lack there of) has made the forums nothing but a headache. :<

Someone please convince me that there's hope, I wanna see an actual community! And so far it's just been the facts about girls thread that's had any luck in that department. :<

Fangirl!

:D

They... kind of created server forums. Kind of. Like I said, it seems like a lazy version. But I don't go to the server forums for community, I can get that community in game. I just haven't tried, as I'm kind of just enjoying leveling with my friend. But I think I'll be rolling an alt on Jedi Covenant at some point and looking for some new people to play with.

There is no general community on the forums, not because there's no community in game, but because the forums are flooded with people that are unhappy and can't seem to let others be happy. You don't need a server community to start a community somewhere else.

Yes, you do. A nation is not created by ragtag bands of nomads - it might become a horde but it is no civilization. Likewise a community is built with small bricks to support a larger building, every little community in game is a brick. When people are encouraged to band together in the heart of the game, they will do so on the forum too - and server forums are a part of that. It leads people who might not normally visit the SWTOR forums to visit because they can interact with their own server - community - there. It creates greater influx of players who enjoys the game rather than people who wish to complain which as of now is all these forums exists for.

There is little to no 'community' on this server because we are asked to build a house out of nothing. If we had the bricks we could, but without it will only be a figment of our imagination, dream or a solemn hope.

Realm forums would help greatly. I made some solid friends (and enemies of course) on the SWG and WoW realm forums. But yeah, over here, the only forum I mildly enjoy reading is the Story and Lore forum.

Agreed here with the realm/server forums. In WoW, it was a great way to meet some of the Horde before I started experimenting with being bifactional. That started the great emote exchange of 2008 or 2009, I forget which, but it was with a troll.. warrior I think?

(Clow from Nordrassil, if you see this, your Night Elf squeeze misses you.)

Ooo, places of community. <3

The Sith Warrior forums aren't TOO bad, the Mara threads are also decent, outside of the occasional "You guys are OP! Get nerfed now!" or "You're the worst class in the game because I'm a keyboard turning nub with no talent" threads. Don't give up hope.

An outing with 2x Mercenary 1x DPS Marader and myself DPS Juggernaught.

It first started with 1x male merc. The first message in chat was from him. Can we do this 4man HC alone. I said no, bring your healer compaion. And I'll bring mine.

We cleared to the end encounter. Yes. We cleared a pack of 5 mobs, 2 man. All the way to the end encounter where we failed. Since he kept saying we need more. Ok.

And he is a mercenary, DPS, with 2 free healing skills.

I got more. 1 more merc. 1 more DPS.

We lag out. Reset encounter. Twice. and clear twice. To end encounter.

We got PWNT.

None of these 2 mercenaries in the team wanted to heal with their 2 free skills.

So. I gave it one last try. Cool, calm and collected for 2 mins while I was running to meet up with them after repairing. Totally cool, yeah!

They were alreadyt there. I charged the boss. And we failed again. I'm happy I shared this.

An outing with 2x Mercenary 1x DPS Marader and myself DPS Juggernaught.

It first started with 1x male merc. The first message in chat was from him. Can we do this 4man HC alone. I said no, bring your healer compaion. And I'll bring mine.

We cleared to the end encounter. Yes. We cleared a pack of 5 mobs, 2 man. All the way to the end encounter where we failed. Since he kept saying we need more. Ok.

And he is a mercenary, DPS, with 2 free healing skills.

I got more. 1 more merc. 1 more DPS.

We lag out. Reset encounter. Twice. and clear twice. To end encounter.

We got PWNT.

None of these 2 mercenaries in the team wanted to heal with their 2 free skills.

So. I gave it one last try. Cool, calm and collected for 2 mins while I was running to meet up with them after repairing. Totally cool, yeah!

They were alreadyt there. I charged the boss. And we failed again. I'm happy I shared this.

I love my consular and my friend plays a Knight. I went sage, though I'm damage. I throw out heals all the time. We usually 2 man everything because we're too lazy to find other people. If I need to do more dps, we'll both bring out healer companions.

Sorry, you are not paying me 14.99$ a month to give you reasons to stay.

However, Bioware is using your money to improve the game. If you don't have the patience to wait, then may I suggest the game is better off without you?

If not, then I DON'T CARE!

However, Bioware is using your money to improve the game. If you don't have the patience to wait, then may I suggest the game is better off without you?

Hehe, I suggest Elder Scroll Online in 2013. :D

I recall many of us being glad that once the game hit, only paying customers could post in the forums. We were under the impression things would get better...so much for that.

I think you'll find a better forum crowd in the new player help section & class specific forums. People just come to general & pvp to moan.

I understand your point of view.

Before SWTOR, I never really read and wrote comments in mmo forums. I quickly noticed that "Community" and "General Discussion" are two really "special" sections. It's filled with so much black-or-white points of view, argumentative fallacies, doomsday comments, hatred, multiple reposts of the same subject, I-know-everything-and-I-know-how-to-save-SWTOR posts, Me-I-Myself opinions, Do-as-I-say-or-I-leave-the-game posts, depressing comments, trolling.

Sometimes I wonder why I keep coming back here. I think it's mostly because of people like you who post intelligent, interesting and civilized comments. So please, stay or take a break and come back. :)

Edited by Sammm

On frostclaw we have our own comunity forum away from this so we know who is who etc and keeps you intouch with the server. this forums good for some stuff but i suggest you start your own for your server.

Don't leave... Those of us who are enjoying the game despite its flaws are the silent majority. And face it, ALL games have flaws. I am having such a good time exploring the game and the character story lines and I just want this to continue with future updates. Join the silent majority who play and love it, and understand that this game is evolving and needs long-term players in order to survive and thrive (nice rhyming...).

I agree that there is way too much negativity on the forums!! This sort of sounds like I'm adding to the problem by complaining about complaining (lawlz) but I'm simply just stating my opinion and the impression I have gathered from reading the forums (I do it frequently, but not usually every day).

Not sure if this is due to the lack of community because I saw the very same thing time and time again (even on server forums) on WoW.

I think it's more a case of 'no news is good news'. People won't post to say: 'omg I love THIS!' or 'well done Bioware on this, I really like it and think it works wonders'.

How many customer service departments actually get people phoning up to tell them what a marvelous service they have received and how grateful they are to the company? Okay, so these forums should be separate from the customer service section (which it does have lol).

But also I think you're always going to have someone who disagrees and is not happy. Like others have said: this game could be 100% perfect and still people would find something to gripe about - mainly because you can't please everyone and if we were all alike, life would be totally dull ;)

I feel sorry for the GMs, more than anything - the ones that spend their time at work having to read through every single piece of moaning, flaming and complaining... I have so much respect for them, knowing that they do it day in day out. Yeah okay so they get paid for it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't affect them. I imagine it would get me down if I had to do it that often.

Despite all the negativity I have experienced on these forums, the fact that I have actually posted as much as I have is a new thing for me. I never posted on the WoW forums because of all the hate and trolling and flaming; I was always scared to. I found myself liberated when I came to SW:TOR forums because the general tone of the threads (despite the usual trolling and arguments and hating) seems much nicer than it ever has in WoW. I don't fully agree that this could be attributed to the mods as someone theorised (I've read some heavy stuff here!), but this trend seems to follow in-game as well. People are more forgiving, helpful and polite than they ever have been from my experience playing 'that other game' for four years. If we can indeed build on this and build up the community, it would be a damn fine one and one I would be proud to call my own.

That's just my random thoughts after reading the other posts. :)

Edited by Mia_Sohma
extra rambling added

Cared enough to post a comment. Go on with your $14.99 bad self. /snapsnapsnap lol :D

Forums have the most action because, in my experience its where most of the people from this game socialize. There is no global, er universal? channel for people to talk to each other other than guild chats. There is not much in game to encourage a social community, aside from grouping, i mean just chatting. Ive been on the forums for 2 hours now, enough to see the fleet population peak at 8 people with maybe 4-5 entries in fleet chat. It makes me sad too. I would even settle for trolls, noobs, flamers, and know it alls! just to brighten up chat