Planets with Seasons?

iamthehoyden

Are there any planets other than Alderaan that should have seasonal climates?

Anyone know if the devs are planning to adjust these locations over time to show seasonal changes? Or is Alderaan going to be perpetually stuck at the end of winter?

Balmorra, Tython, Ord Mantell, Dromund Kaas, Quesh... heck, maybe even Voss, why not. To be honest, if the planet is habitable and supports vegetation and fauna, then it must be in such an orbit around its star that it must have some variations in climate. To be honest, I find it hard to believe in planets like Hoth and Tatooine, where they have breatheable atmosphere and local living species but no seasons. You can't have "Ice planets" or "Desert planets" or whatever. Or you can, but they can't be habitable.

No idea wether BioWare are going to include actual seasons, seems like too much of a bother. But some change in weather would be welcome where it doesn't violate the lore.

Edited by alricka

Balmorra, Tython, Ord Mantell, Dromund Kaas, Quesh... heck, maybe even Voss, why not. To be honest, if the planet is habitable and supports vegetation and fauna, then it must be in such an orbit around its star that it must have some variations in climate. To be honest, I find it hard to believe in planets like Hoth and Tatooine, where they have breatheable atmosphere and local living species but no seasons. You can't have "Ice planets" or "Desert planets" or whatever. Or you can, but they can't be habitable.

No idea wether BioWare are going to include actual seasons, seems like too much of a bother. But some change in weather would be welcome where it doesn't violate the lore.

Well, there's seasonal variability and then there's the specific area that we're running around in. I mean, the entire planet of Dromund Kaas may not be a rainforest, but the area around Kaas City is. We have sections like that on Earth.

As to the unbelievability of Hoth and Tatooine - well, there's certainly a level at which I'm willing to suspend disbelief. The species could have been transplanted...they're pretty similiar to some on other planets.

As to the unbelievability of Hoth and Tatooine - well, there's certainly a level at which I'm willing to suspend disbelief. The species could have been transplanted...they're pretty similiar to some on other planets.

As for Tatooine, the Jawa and Sand People are indigenous.

And were possibly the same species before the Rakata bombed the planet into dust.

thats a problem with alot of sci-fi. its not just star wars, but star wars is very guilty of the "this is the desert planet, this is the ice planet, this is the jungle planet, this is the city planet". i think its mostly cus if they say "oh dromund kaas has some deserts, and some tundra and stuff like that in other parts of the planet" people would be all like "i wanna go there!" so they just leave it one setting per planet, but yeha, its totally not realistic.

What do you mean "should have?" I don't know about the other planets, but Dromund Kaas already has plenty of seasons. There's the rainy season, and the... slightly-less-rainy season, and even the you-can-almost-see-the-sun-if-you-imagine-really-hard season.:p Edited by The_Dark_Lord

I'd honestly prefer it if the season cycle stays away, as it would interfere with the look and feel of certain planets - Corellia covered in snow might look to similar to Alderaan, as an example.

What do you mean "should have?" I don't know about the other planets, but Dromund Kaas already has plenty of seasons. There's the rainy season, and the... slightly-less-rainy season, and even the you-can-almost-see-the-sun-if-you-imagine-really-hard season.:p

Lol! Nicely done, very nicely done.

I have no problem with mono-climactic planets.

First, recall that Tatooine used to be a green and blue gem, but was bombarded by the Rakata, effectively turning its surface into glass, which dissolved into sand (which is a thing). See KOTOR and the new Dawn of the Jedi comics. Also, if a planet has very little surface water, I'd see no problem with it maintaining a desert climate.

Hoth has a lot of surface water, and is just far enough away from the sun (6th planet) to make it icy all the time. There is apparently some liquid water (probably sub-surface) to support wampas and tauntauns and the like, but that's it.

But a planet being green and habitable does not imply seasons. A planet's axial tilt gives it seasons (if the rotational axis is not perpendicular to the orbital plane, then each hemisphere gets more or less sun during part of the year, and thus is subject to greater temperature variance). Planets don't necessarily need that tilt. Kashyyyk has no tilt, and thus is not subject to seasons. One whole rainforest, planetwide (Rakatan technology made the planet's ecosystem go crazy though, creating the multi-kilometer-tall trees.)

So I have no problem with one-environment-planets, or with planets with no seasons.

But a planet being green and habitable does not imply seasons. A planet's axial tilt gives it seasons (if the rotational axis is not perpendicular to the orbital plane, then each hemisphere gets more or less sun during part of the year, and thus is subject to greater temperature variance). Planets don't necessarily need that tilt. Kashyyyk has no tilt, and thus is not subject to seasons. One whole rainforest, planetwide (Rakatan technology made the planet's ecosystem go crazy though, creating the multi-kilometer-tall trees.)

So I have no problem with one-environment-planets, or with planets with no seasons.

Thank you for the background for Tatooine and Hoth! For most of the planets, I think you could use the axial tilt (or lack there of) to justify the lack of seasons, but if I remember correctly there are a couple things that npc's say on Alderaan that indicate that they actually do have seasons, and wint...I mean, spring is coming :)