Did the Clone war drag on unnecessarily?

Damatese

While I love the series and thought it was great, at time, it just seem to focus on nonsensical things. Do you think they wanted to end the whole Ahsoka saga with Anikan right there just like that or did they have a grander plan but because of mismanagement on their part in trying to drag out the series they were unable to give a satisfying ending. At least to me, What do you guys think?

While I love the series and thought it was great, at time, it just seem to focus on nonsensical things. Do you think they wanted to end the whole Ahsoka saga with Anikan right there just like that or did they have a grander plan but because of mismanagement on their part in trying to drag out the series they were unable to give a satisfying ending. At least to me, What do you guys think?

IMO it is a bit of both wanting the show to continue while at the same time, they did have some great story arcs to continue and/or wrap up.

I was getting weary of the setting. I cherished the arcs that went away from the war and focused on other characters and problems. For me, it was time to start wrapping things up, but it did happen a bit abruptly.

Personally, I just didn't like how much darker it became - which is imho not suitable for children.

In an Star Wars forum, one commenter enjoyed how much darker it became - he wanted it to be much darker and much, much more bloodier than it was. War. He really enjoyed the dark theme.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

I watched it with my kids every weekend, & it was so cool to hear an 8 & 9 yr old talking about Anakin making darkside choices & his Vader music playing when he did lol. Even as it started getting darker they understood what was happening....they worried about asoka, & capt rex....my daughter (who'll be 12 in July) cried when asoka left the Jedi order, but said she understands because "they didn't trust her even tho she'd always been a good Jedi". We'll miss this show, but I'll get the blu-ray to finish storylines.

Assuming you are talking about The Clone Wars and not Clone Wars.

To be honest TCW went beyond its estimated lifespan, but it seemed like they had a lot of stories for it still - but it doesn't matter seeing that the House of M flipped the switch off.

Personally, I just didn't like how much darker it became - which is imho not suitable for children.

In an Star Wars forum, one commenter enjoyed how much darker it became - he wanted it to be much darker and much, much more bloodier than it was. War. He really enjoyed the dark theme.

What do you mean not suitable for children? Sure, it isn't all ponies and rainbows, or dogs with blogs and other humorless shows they're offering us now, but that doesn't mean children can't enjoy a fantasy world like TCW. (Hell, growing up in the 90s most of the cartoons they had included a LOT of inappropriate content that us children never noticed back then. Watching it back, though, it's easy to see.)

But it's sort of like Avatar: The Last Airbender, or The Legend of Korra -- it may seem dark and a bit more mature but they also have some hidden messages and inspirations in them, like hope or female empowerment and such. Dunno, but still -- it isn't that dark. There isn't unnecessary death and excess of blood and gore. They tell nice, well-written stories.

Anyway, I'm reading your message and what I'm getting from that is you believe shows on war aren't suitable for children, or anything depicting war. As if shows should be censored and networks shield us from that sort of content. Why? War is happening all around us in this day and age and children realize that at a very young age, a lot of them even having parents in the military. Trying to protect kids by not letting them know what happens only makes it harder on them if anything does happen, in my opinion.

What do you mean not suitable for children? Sure, it isn't all ponies and rainbows, or dogs with blogs and other humorless shows they're offering us now, but that doesn't mean children can't enjoy a fantasy world like TCW. (Hell, growing up in the 90s most of the cartoons they had included a LOT of inappropriate content that us children never noticed back then. Watching it back, though, it's easy to see.)

But it's sort of like Avatar: The Last Airbender, or The Legend of Korra -- it may seem dark and a bit more mature but they also have some hidden messages and inspirations in them, like hope or female empowerment and such. Dunno, but still -- it isn't that dark. There isn't unnecessary death and excess of blood and gore. They tell nice, well-written stories.

Anyway, I'm reading your message and what I'm getting from that is you believe shows on war aren't suitable for children, or anything depicting war. As if shows should be censored and networks shield us from that sort of content. Why? War is happening all around us in this day and age and children realize that at a very young age, a lot of them even having parents in the military. Trying to protect kids by not letting them know what happens only makes it harder on them if anything does happen, in my opinion.

I agree. I will add that however dark it got for each of us, it was always a morality tale. Often it was black and white and easy to discern. Sometimes the story arcs threw a bit of a curve so you didn't know what was good or bad. These are all good lessons to learn.

Also, if you deem it to be too dark for your children, that is totally cool. It is on you to police that. The fact that it is on the Disney Channel does not mean it is 100% acceptable. It is still up to you as a parent to make that call.

((FWIW, when I say "you" I am speaking in general terms. Not at any one member.))

Do you think they wanted to end the whole Ahsoka saga with Anikan right there just like that or did they have a grander plan but because of mismanagement on their part in trying to drag out the series they were unable to give a satisfying ending.

That's not really an either/or question. They obviously didn't plan to end the series as they already had almost half of the episodes for Season 6 done when Disney cancelled production on the show. I wouldn't call it mismanagement. Disney bought out Lucasfilm and decided to end the show. It's not like the producers of the show could have predicted that a few years ago. Frankly, while I'm excited to see the new series, I wish they would have let TCW finish out with Season 6 (especially since it was half done already) and have the chance to wrap up storylines on their terms.

To be honest TCW went beyond its estimated lifespan, but it seemed like they had a lot of stories for it still - but it doesn't matter seeing that the House of M flipped the switch off.

Don't know how you could say that. From the very start, Lucas always said they would be making at least 100 episodes. Also, 100 episodes is considered the rough benchmark to sell a show to syndicators (which the show is now shown in syndication). As it stands, there were 108 episodes ending with last season. So, it was right on track with it's estimated lifespan.

Unfortunately, Lucas forced things to get off-track too much. The 4 part story on Onderon and the 4 part young Jedi story arcs should have been no more than 2 episodes each. Also, the 4 part droid story arc was way too much....that probably should have only been 1 episode. Right there, that was over half the season in those 12 episodes. If you watch the behind-the-scenes videos with the supervising director of the show, Dave Filoni, you'll know that Lucas was pushing all of this stuff...and also pushing them to kill off every character that wasn't shown in Episode 3 (Savage, Satine, Ashoka, etc.). I don't think it is a coincidence that 4 episodes comes out to approximately an hour and a half without commercials....roughly the length of a movie...and they have sold some of the past story arcs as stand-alone videos. Lucas is the godfather of modern-day merchandising and it would seem to fit his M.O. to set things up in a way that leads to more merchandising opportunities. However, forcing every story into a 4 part story arc caused too many of the storylines to drag on and occupy too much of the season.

Frankly, I think the new series will be fantastic. They have the main production team back from TCW. I'd expect a lot of the voice cast to be back too.....some of them have had a long history in SW video games and other things. Without Lucas taking things off on his weird or artsy tangents, I think the new show will be a lot more consistent over the long haul. Plus, we finally break free of the prequels and now Filoni and company have 20 years of generally uncharted territory to explore.