Remove unranked queues

nellosmomishot

I think that unranked queues should be removed from the game. It is pretty stupid to put a 4man premade of 2000+ players in a game when the opposing team still thinks that huttball is really team deathmatch.

I understand not every player wants to see their rank going down and down and down till they're in the lowest bracket, but lets face it... some players belong in the lowest level bracket. This doesn't have to be a publicly viewable rank, but every player should have a rank and be put in games with people of similar rank. I think this would remove a lot of the frustrations that players have (both good and bad). Bad players will be able to hone their skills, or lack thereof, against similarly bad players. Meanwhile, good players won't be put into huttball with teammates that haven't key-bound pass the huttball yet. It should resolve lots of QQ as players will only be left playing with players that are SIMILAR in skill. This means players won't be complaining against getting steamrolled and having no fun, and other players won't complain about doing the steamrolling and having no competition.

There could still be two queuing systems. Keep 8 man teams as the official ranked queues where you gain and lose publicly viewable rating. Also base ranked rewards off of the 8 man queue. However, make the solo - 4 man queuing option also have a rank associated with it (I even think it might as well be the same rank as 8 man, I just don't know how that would go over in terms of earning rewards).

I wouldn't mind this change too much, but there are some pretty obvious flaws.

Primarily, I don't think any one server has enough population running warzones regularly enough to actually match people to others of their approximate skill level. I play on a Destination server from the "free transfers" and with the exception of peak hours, I can find myself either in the same group of 8 people (or at least 7 of the same names from the last match), or playing against the same team from the other faction.

It may work when/if Cross server PvP gets introduced, but not until.

Secondly, I'm sure there are plenty of people who will claim class balance is good, but there are some classes that really shine, and some that do not. If ALL PvP was based on a ranking, you'd find that some classes would be very prolific in specific ranking bands, which won't make for fun or interesting PvP.

Ahh, SWTOR hasn't lost enough subs yet.

Forcing everyone to play ranked will fix that AND boost the epeen of the OP as well - good deal! :D

How would it boost my ePeen? I suggested the rankings be hidden. I just want some sort of matchmaking going on in the background to pair up players of similar skill levels. Sounds to me like you need to flex your ePeen by rolling over bads. To each their own I guess.

No.

What this game needs is a meaningful matchmaking system and cross-server queues that actually compares team composition and gear, and pits them against a similar team. Geared up premades waiting in queue for ranked matches are simply destroying PUGs in the normal queue. At this point, it's kind of pissing everyone off.

By ranking everyone and pairing players with similar ranks it'll even out both team's overall gear and skill. That's what ranked matches were supposed to do, but too many teams got steam rolled and too few kept queueing for the ranks to matter.

This would not only satisfy people complaining about gear gaps, but also people complaining about the lack of ranked solo queues. Where's the downside?

Did they ever fix the matchmaking system? When Ranked was first introduced, the matchmaking was beyond rubbish. All that will do, unless the devs actually managed to fix something as opposed to breaking more stuff than the fix, is pit premades of 8 in full Augmented War Hero gear against solo queuing pugs in Recruit.

There is a reason Ranked died... the matchmaking system was so broken it wasn't worth dorking with.

Edited by Scritchy

No.

What this game needs is a meaningful matchmaking system and cross-server queues that actually compares team composition and gear, and pits them against a similar team. Geared up premades waiting in queue for ranked matches are simply destroying PUGs in the normal queue. At this point, it's kind of pissing everyone off.

AMEN, although from everything I have seen Bioware has cotton in their ears. One of the only really good things left is leving up new story lines, then when you try to PvP them you wind up in Recruit gear against a full War Hero premade that you cannot even scratch. Add to that 30 plus stuns and you are going full out just to try and get the three medals so you actually get your bowl of gruel to come back and say "May I have another".

Gear is King in PvP, on my newest I now have full Battlemaster and a War Hero piece and guess what when on my sage I hit a full War Hero Sith Soceror they laugh, because there is no way I can out play them. They are going to damage me down and take me out with ease. And for the Fan Boys who will flame, I have held a turrent against two to three keeping one of them CC and keeping the other two trying to chase me until someone gets there to help. So yes I do know how to play my class and against equally geared toons, I am deadly but against War Hero premades, I might as well sit up on the platform or leave I cannot make a difference.

That is before I get down there and have six stuns tossed on me only to have my one stun resisted or they have their cooldown up and again I am buzzard bait. Bioware if you think this is fun you are out of your minds, if you think subscriptions are going to remain you again need some serious help.

The game is dying, we were force moved to a server where there were 300 plus at fleet all the time, now you are lucky if there are enough on to get a HM daily done. People are getting the hint, and it is almost time to stick a fork in it and I read where the developers are trying to spin the numbers. You can't to anyone who has been on this game for any amount of time especially the ones who have lived through from the beginning. This was so good, it had such a possibility, but changes are not getting instituted and the bugs are getting worse.

No.

Isn't what I proposed a form of matchmaking? It honestly seems like you didn't read beyond the first paragraph.

Edited by nellosmomishot

Remove unranked warzones? What are you smoking? The last thing BW should do is FORCE people to play ranked pvp. I don't care how you try to explain it, having only ranked zones is a bad idea. Ranked zones are over-rated. Allowing these 8 an premades into unranked zones is a bad idea. Leve the normal zones alone! We do not need a pvp system that is totally ranked.

I pvp a lot. I never asked for ranked pvp nor did I support it. The rankings are nothing but a meaningless number. I don't know about you, but I don't want to play with people who only care about improving their ranking and try to tell me and the rest of the team how to play.

KEEP UNRANKED QUES WHERE THEY ARE! Not everyone wants to worry about helping someone keep their precious 2400 rank. Your idea would not help the game at all. What it will do is cause more people, including me, to stop entirely. And before you call me a "bad" player, you don't know how I play. For all you know I could be one of the best players on my server just as easily as i could be the worse. So leave the bad comments out of any reply.

Remove unranked warzones? What are you smoking? The last thing BW should do is FORCE people to play ranked pvp. I don't care how you try to explain it, having only ranked zones is a bad idea. Ranked zones are over-rated. Allowing these 8 an premades into unranked zones is a bad idea. Leve the normal zones alone! We do not need a pvp system that is totally ranked.

I pvp a lot. I never asked for ranked pvp nor did I support it. The rankings are nothing but a meaningless number. I don't know about you, but I don't want to play with people who only care about improving their ranking and try to tell me and the rest of the team how to play.

KEEP UNRANKED QUES WHERE THEY ARE! Not everyone wants to worry about helping someone keep their precious 2400 rank. Your idea would not help the game at all. What it will do is cause more people, including me, to stop entirely. And before you call me a "bad" player, you don't know how I play. For all you know I could be one of the best players on my server just as easily as i could be the worse. So leave the bad comments out of any reply.

Again, did you actually read what I wrote? Or did you stop after reading the thread title?

Again, did you actually read what I wrote? Or did you stop after reading the thread title?

Yes, I read the entire post and I am comepletely against your idea. Removing the unranked ques does not serve any real purpose. Not everyone cares a stupid number that is meaning less. Others have also pointed out that without a real matchmaking system and cross server queing your idea is doomed to fail.

You have your ranked warzones, go play them. Leave those of us who like unranked alone. Maybe BW should just restrict 8man premade ques to RWZ only. How would yuou feel about that? I bet you'd hate it. I know a number of others would.

Again, unranked ques should remain. Suggesting they be removed is a bad idea that will not help this game.

The ranked system is the matchmaking system. One rank for 1-4 man premades and 1 rank for 8 man premades.

The difference between this kind of system and what we have now is more balanced teams. That's it.

You still are not taking into account the number of players who like the unranked system. Not everyone wants to be forced into ranked warzones. Why does it bother you so much that we have a unranked que system? You want teams to be better balanced? Restrict the 8man premades to ranked zones and remove the premades from unranked. Put the option for a group of four to que for unranked.

Making the entire pvp system ranked only is not a good idea. There are plenty of people who would stop pvp'ing entirely if this happened. Is that really what you want? A smaller pvp community?

Why exactly do you resent the ranking system so much that you'd up and abandon the game. It'd be literally the same freaking game except the queuing system would have a reference on how to group people. 8 mans would keep the dual queue and only fight 8 on 8 while people queuing 1-4 would still be fighting other groups queued 1-4.

Also your suggestion is exactly what we have now. I don't even now how I'm supposed to respond to that.

I never said I would abandon tha game. I would just stop pvp'ing if I was forced to enter a stupid ranking system. Not everyone cares nor do they want to participate in a ranked system. We started with unranked pvp. It should remain as it it obviously more popular than the current ranked is.

Also, my suggestion is to remove the full 8man premade que from unranked zones. these teams should not be farming PUGS. That is not fun, or balanced, for anyone.

Why exactly do you resent the ranking system so much that you'd up and abandon the game. It'd be literally the same freaking game except the queuing system would have a reference on how to group people. 8 mans would keep the dual queue and only fight 8 on 8 while people queuing 1-4 would still be fighting other groups queued 1-4.

That is using the asinine assumption that the devs can up code a non-suck matchmaking system. Nothing we've seen so far has suggested they are capable of that.

The problem with solo Q'ing is that some classes have a bigger chance of determining the outcome of the game than others....and I'm not even refering to the "OP" classes (it's ok to refer to them as OP now that even BW employees have done it). Let's say that two teams have 7 identical players with the same skill but the 8th player on team 1 is an amazing scoundrel dps while team 2 has an average tankassassin. Game starts and it's Huttball. You do the math. This is clearly not in the scoundrels favor despite that he in theory should be the determining factor on behalf of individually being much better than the tankassin.

It just feels to me that there are too many things to factor in for solo queue'ing to be working properly. It makes it extremely hard for a solo player to reach the level/tier he/she, by looking at individual skill, rightfully should be in. This is not Halo where one amazing player can carry the other three in game after game until he/she reaches max level.

Giving people skill levels based on individual performance is also a horrible idea, you'd have 8 pugs boosting kills in every game instead of focusing on the objective.

Edited by MidichIorian

Invisible rankings do much to ensure the ability to match ppl based on their skill levels; I would however note that this would require that the rankings adequately reflect past Ops performance, i.e. the ROLE of the player in their previous Ops, rather than merely damage / protection / healing / objectives some sort of combination thereof... any such metric(s) may well favour specific roles over others - therefore you may find DPS scoring disproportionately high or tanking objectives scores particularly low or that some actions are simply not factored in (such as cloaked scouting of enemy positions to inform team mates of defences)...

Personally I like the idea of having changes to ranking from each PvP which are modified by MVP votes (or some other team and enemy based feedback)... but seriously, I think it would be 'rather difficult' to implement.

You only get better by playing better players

Depends on how much better they are. You send a nobody with 2 matches, both losses to other nobodys against Junior dos Santos, all they will learn is how long it takes to get from the ring to the hospital.

Current matchmaking seems to do just that.

Idea is ok, though the problem I see with it is that a lot of higher ranked players are going to be stuck playing the same people. BW already said they weren't keen on the cross-server queue idea awhile back (not sure if they've since changed their stance), and I can't see this idea working without a cross-server queue to bolster queue ranks.