The Super Secret Space Project is revealed... or at least teased!

jasoneth

1) Hopefully it involves little of the mechanics from SWG's JTL. Over-reliance on missiles, Gear was just about EVERYTHING (for example, one TIE could one or two-shot a YT Freighter (like the Millennium Falcon) even though the YT - as shown in the movies - should have been able to take several hails of fire. There was a nice on-board mechanic where passengers could make repairs, but it never got to be used because the ship could be gunned down by a one-man fighter in 2 seconds.

2) The pilot community there was also EXTREMELY stuck up and didn't give a flying fig about keeping the game alive by making space flight accessible and fun to all. No, they insisted on their uber weapon insti-kills.

3) Battlefront 2 did a MUCH nicer, more fun version of space combat and I hope that's the route Bioware goes with this. For for all, not just an uber few.

1) JTL's mechanics were fantastic. The values themselves are what you seem to dislike. Space PvP, Space PvE, ship crafting, mining, multiple players onboard ships, space convoys, space invasions, droid commands, over 30 ships to fly, a pilot class, missile lock, chaff etc. All great mechanics if balanced properly.

2) Uber weapon insti-kills? The most used weapon/cannon was a mission reward one (available to all and sundry). Everybody from hardcore PvP'ers to part-time PvE'ers had a Tri Cannon.

Your tone leads me to beileve you had a negative experience with space pvp'ers which is a pity as I found most of them to be very helpful in aiding the new pilots up the steep learning curve. The space game required a significant time investment. Those that did so usually stuck around.

After spending over 10,000 hours playing SWG I can safely say that the Pilot community, along with the Beastmaster one were as friendly a community as you could possibly wish for. I can only speak about the years 2005-2011 though obviously.

3) Battlefront 2 was an incredibly simpler system. Nothing as complex as JTL. It worked great and I imagine it would suit a wider audience better. Whatever they decide to go with will be an improvement on what the space minigame currently is so I should be happy either way.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully it involves little of the mechanics from SWG's JTL. Over-reliance on missiles, Gear was just about EVERYTHING (for example, one TIE could one or two-shot a YT Freighter (like the Millennium Falcon) even though the YT - as shown in the movies - should have been able to take several hails of fire. There was a nice on-board mechanic where passengers could make repairs, but it never got to be used because the ship could be gunned down by a one-man fighter in 2 seconds.

The pilot community there was also EXTREMELY stuck up and didn't give a flying fig about keeping the game alive by making space flight accessible and fun to all. No, they insisted on their uber weapon insti-kills.

Battlefront 2 did a MUCH nicer, more fun version of space combat and I hope that's the route Bioware goes with this. For for all, not just an uber few.

Yea the mechanics at least are exactly what I recall, though I didn't have a problem with any of the players on my server (Starsider). It was just poorly developed, you could tell PVP was not on their mind when they made it (PVE was just fine). Let's hope these guys are taking all playstyles into consideration.

Of course its a WZ in space. THESE THINGS TAKE TIME. Obviously the first iteration of anything is going to be a basic scenario.

Most likely it's a PVP warzone with side A versus side B. No, were not going to have light years of space to roam because thats not how this game works. Its a themepark game. End of discussion.

But for the love of star wars get some perspective people. They give us a teaser and already the self important yahoos who have nothing better to do than bag on Bioware because they don't get some infinite free roaming space scenario where you have to pause every couple of hours to make your character eat and take a crap out the airlock. Are you so bored that you criticize and downplay everything they do because it doesn't fit your ludicrously narrow view of what a game is and should be? You haven't even played a demo yet!

This kind of stuff take time, money and resources. Its complicated. I feel so bad for the impatient self absorbed armchair developers who are never happy with anything. Your life must be a miserable ball of self hate and loathing while you go around hating on everything you see. Its sad and hilarious all at the same time. Its funny because here you are, paying to play a product you don't even like. "Bioware is killing this game....waasaaaah, waaaaaaaah, SWG was given to us by Jesus."

If you really do have better ideas then get off your lazy rear end and go get a job in the industry where we can see all your grandiose ideas in action. I'm absolutely positive YOUR game will be the pinnacle of modern gaming. It will be bug free and all your ideas will blow us away. You will combine every game into some perfect amalgamation art, sound and light. Of corse we will all wonder how we lived without you gracing us with your tiny slice of heaven.

Or you can shut your yapper and be glad bioware is making some major, sweeping improvement to the game.

Did you even read the post you were replying to? I never outright bagged on Bioware or insulted them over this, I even said it was an improvement. Or were you too blinded by your self inflated ego of angst that you just had to brag about your job in another one of your posts and attack people like you normally do?

We've been waiting years upon years for this, not just two years after release, literally at least 5 years. It shouldn't come as a surprise if people hope for more than a warzone.

Your blind devotion to hanging from the balls of Bioware causes you to attack people over nothing. I've defended BW plenty of times where it was deserved, but this is just pathetic. All I was saying in my post was that I'm a bit disappointed and hope it gets better. But you, you with your self-centered ego has to take any post that doesn't worship the mighty EA/BW gods as anything and everything as an outright defiance of your angsty forum crusade.

Grow a pair please. I am happy with this addition, I never said I wasn't, I'm just expecting more later on as right now this seems as only a little.

Edited by Glumish

After spending over 10,000 hours playing SWG I can safely say that the Pilot community, along with the Beastmaster one were as friendly a community as you could possibly wish for. I can only speak about the years 2005-2011 though obviously.

My experience is exactly opposite. I found the space community to be full of elitists who didn't want anyone else to play in their sandbox. When I (rightly) suggested that YT's shouldn't be taken down by single one-man fighters, they went ballistic, saying how it would skew the game and make them not-so-important. I pointed out the with a multi-player crew, the YT's NEEDED to be stronger to withstand extensive bombardment so the players in the ship could enjoy the repair mechanic.

I hope we avoid such niche groups here (although the PvPers here seem to largely fill the same shoes) so that the space game can be enjoyable by everyone and not just Leet Pilots.

I hope missiles are not implemented or at least not nearly as powerful. Battlefront 2 had the right idea.

If rumour has it there will be medium, heavy and light armour types that could possibly mean, tanks , healers and dps like in standard pvp. How would this work you may ask, well... Tanks could give shields to nearby ally fighters, or say a radius where any ally is within it is offered some protection. Tanks could reduce damage of said targets they fire at. Healers would work in a similar way, perhaps by supplying astromech droids to nearby damaged ships to repair them. Damage dealers is pretty standard, so not to much to say there but all this could work as i see it. Not sure what is gunna happen but i am just as excited as the next person :)

If rumour has it there will be medium, heavy and light armour types that could possibly mean, tanks , healers and dps like in standard pvp. How would this work you may ask, well... Tanks could give shields to nearby ally fighters, or say a radius where any ally is within it is offered some protection. Tanks could reduce damage of said targets they fire at. Healers would work in a similar way, perhaps by supplying astromech droids to nearby damaged ships to repair them. Damage dealers is pretty standard, so not to much to say there but all this could work as i see it. Not sure what is gunna happen but i am just as excited as the next person :)

Possible, I don't know. I moreso saw this as your armor types, e.g. light/med/heavy armor types = light/med/heavy fighters.

I'm in the "wait and see, keep your expectations in check" boat here.

We just don't know the scale and the mechanics yet. I'm certainly not expecting full open world, completely free fight type stuff, more like an instanced battleground that will have a team playing against another team.

And to me that's fine, but I just know some people out there might be going crazy with high hopes of what it could turn out to be.

+1

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

If they are smart IMO, they will keep it closer to BF2's fun, approachability and simplicity. IMO it should be all about skill, not about gear.

Agreed. Though there should be some kind of ship customization added later on if not in this current iteration where we can change up how our ship works.

But I would really hate it if the ships are based on our ground gear. It just wouldn't feel right.

SWG had a mass system if I recall correctly, if you wanted to use a better part in one area you'd have to sacrifice in another. Maybe something like that, that way it wouldn't be just about getting the best gear like ground content is, but rather suiting your ship to your playstyle.

Edited by Glumish

Gotta love all the conclusions I've seen today over a whole 6 seconds of gameplay (yes, I know there's some datamined info as well). Can't wait to hear from BW on the matter. Hopefully it'll be sometime this upcoming week as I've seen suggested, but I'm a little skeptical of that.

It sure is generating a lot of enthusiasm though; if done correctly I imagine we'll see a nice boost in player population. That's based on feedback I've seen elsewhere on the internet anyways. Never been the biggest fan of space/ spaceship gameplay myself, but I'm willing to give BW a chance to change my mind! I did enjoy space in BF2 and I'd welcome a similar system. Particularly interested to see the RP guilds that pop-up and build around this system.

Edited by Inflicktion

I.love.this..

Made myself do some space combat today, realizing my computer doesn't handle it as well as that video. So hopefully it gets well optimized. One thing I loved was that explosion and explosion noise of the enemy starfighter, idk it just looked way cooler than a starfighter going for 5 seconds and then making a small explosion.

I predict that this will make a lot of f2pers sub, and people come or come back to the game. Not sure how it will be handled with the f2p model.

I do have a few hopes for this though, such as seeing chat in space.

As for maps, I'd really really really reallly love to see a close-to-ground space combat where you battle other starfighters, ground turrets emplacements, hovertanks, rocket launcher men, etc. I'm thinking denova as a really good example for that, perhaps we have to fight over the baradium again.

I just hope this is done well, and I'm really excited for this. Thank you Bioware, I'll be sure to through all my money at you when I can preorder this, if it is an expansion.

Bioware, you have no freaking clue how insanely happy I am that I subbed for another six months on this game. Yes I know its unlikely it will come out even near that time-frame....but I'm just glad to know my 77.70$ went towards this.

I luffs you Bioware, and will now stop trolling you about your SSSP.

This is great stuff and i'm super excited about finding out more. Those guys are BW better not be coy and stay silent Tuesday. Not after dropping this bomb shell.

But i'm already starting to wonder how far they plan to go to monetize this. No, i'm not being cynical or already claiming P2W shenanigans.

I'm just considering the possibility of EA / Bio-ware planning to use the SSSP to get their foot into the genre of F2P arcade/sim games like MWO, War thunder, World of planes and the like. Can you imagine this SSSP expanding into a parallel game appealing to what is essentially two different demographics? Not only are they capitalizing on two groups of players (wallets), but it could serve as a introductory gateway funneling potentially new players from one genre to another and spending their money yet again. Some crude examples: Finished a daily quest on the ground? have a few complimentary space tokens and give that a try! Came to fly around and enjoy a (hopefully) solid space shooter set in a star wars setting? Here's a legacy gear kit and give the individual class character stories a try!

getting them at both ends, folks.

A lot of people have pointed out that a 3D shooter space game would be detrimental to the base MMO, taking resources away from the actual game to what is a glorified mini-game that not everyone will care about. But with EA's deep pockets, they might actually have the resources to develop the SSSP into a fully fleshed-out game that could stand on it's own and appeal to those that like that stuff while still maintaining size-able growth of the base swtor game.

If i can use myself as an example: I've already spent a fair chunk of change in MechWarrior: Online. If Bioware's SSSP can fulfill my need for shooting other people while driving a big machine with guns, then they could have picked my wallet over two times over again.

Please Bioware, talk about this soon before the speculation gets overblown and the reality seems underwhelming in comparison.

As for the SSSP itself, it definitely is free-flight. Pay attention to the gameplay segments and you'll notice that the camera is fixed to keep the ship in the middle of the screen (currently the camera is fixed along the rails with the ship moving around). The narrator makes it sound like Space PVP or Space Flashpoints. Personally I'm hoping for both, along with customizable ships - skins, laser color crystals, more equipment to min/max the ship's systems (really, the more they crib from SWG-JtL the better). Now my biggest question - beyond what kind of content it really is - is can we use our current ships?

If the end result looks/works half as cool as that bit there, I'll have a very hard time considering other games.

I loved the X-Wing vs TIE Fighter series, would dearly love to see something like it here.

Now my biggest question - beyond what kind of content it really is - is can we use our current ships?

I hope so. Even as much as I like the X-wing (or whatever they're called in this time period) design, I'm really quite fond of my Defender.

Being honest, what I'd want to see would be closer to what EVE does, but with Star Wars.

Edited by Thorkir

Well I just saw the you tube space project video and I really hope that they are finally going to give us a space combat part of the game that I think we all who play the game have been asking for.

Really excited and these are in my opinion must haves

1. no more combat rail guided ships.

2. space ships for each faction that players go travel where they want to.

3. both PVP and PVE zone or sectors for both groups of players.

4. have flash point missions for each faction given to the players at each faction fleet space station

5. random space encounter engagements for players in each faction.

Look for to hear more about this and hope these will be added in the game as the next expansion.