Will TESO / ESO kill this game?

Ginwtf

As said by the title, im concerned if TESO / ESO (The Elder Scrolls Online) will have a big effect on the player count of this game. For me, I dont like playing a game that im unsure about if it's going to lose a solid 50-75% of its Player Base. So I would like to ask the Community out there if you are going to leave SWTOR any time soon because of upcoming games like TESO or Wildstar AND what you think about this topic. :)

Cheers

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovey, we might see a drop when people go to investigate ESO and see if it's worth playing or not. It typically happens when something new pops up.

Yet:

Some might stay without even considering ESO.

Some might say goodbye and leave for good.

Some might say goodbye but come back after a length of time.

It generally depends on the person in question. As for it being an "MMO Killer", that is one opinion that's really up in the air at this point. A lot of fans point fingers at MMOs and say "So and So will destroy this game when it's released".

My opinion, personally? SWTOR has kept on trucking for a good two years. I think it's still got some life left in it no matter what another fanbase says. ^.~

As said by the title, im concerned if TESO / ESO (The Elder Scrolls Online) will have a big effect on the player count of this game. For me, I dont like playing a game that im unsure about if it's going to lose a solid 50-75% of its Player Base. So I would like to ask the Community out there if you are going to leave SWTOR any time soon because of upcoming games like TESO or Wildstar AND what you think about this topic. :)

Cheers

This game has NOTHING to worry about in terms of ESO. The game will have its dedicated fans just like this but it will not really dent this game too much. However, Wildstar will have more of a effect.

I think this topic is new and exciting (that was sarcasm btw)

will ESO "kill" SWTOR? no. its a different sort of game. will some people move on to it? yes. will some people keep playing TOR? yes.

for me, SWTOR will remain my primary MMO. I don't know for how long, other than.. as long as I keep enjoying it. I may let my subscription lapse, I may not. time will tell. but I'm not done with this game by far.

that doesn't mean I won't try out other games, MMO's or otherwise. becasue i like variety. becasue variety is fun. because there's room in this market for multiple MMO's and more often than not - there's room in people's hearts for more than one game. I think ESO is going to be a fun game for a lot of different people. it will be successful by some definitions, failure by others . for some people - a game is a failure if it doesn't reach milestones it never meant to reach in a first place, but in their opinion - should. SWTOR is also a failure by that definition. do I care? nope. does it still keep making money for its developers? sure seems that way. do people still play and enjoy it? yep. are we getting new content, improvements, etc? yes. maybe not as fast as people would prefer, but we're getting them.

so there you have it.

the only people who can genuinely kill this game? are bioware and/or DIsney/lucas arts

In a word...no, that is built on the fantasy genre...this is Star Wars...anything has the title Star Wars on it is always going to have droves of fans religiously addicted to it, part of the magic of Lucas's creation. I am sure some will wander off and have a look, but the majority will come back when they realise they do not have Lightsabers in Elder Scrolls :wea_03:;)

In a word NO.

I played the ESO beta a few weeks back and I hated, and I have heard that from several people who played in that same beta. The character creator is awesome,no denying that. However, after that the game falls apart for me anyway. Not worth a subscription. I predict it will be free to play within 6 - 12 months. It will launch to huge numbers and then quickly fall off. It will have its hardcore player base, but the compromises they had to make to make it playable on the playstation and xbox are just to much to stomache for me. They compromised the gaming experience to put it on playstation and xbox. The game is simply not what people think it is going to be.

As for Wildstar, the jury is still out on that one I have not played it seen gameplay footage of it or really looked into it so I cannot really say much about that one.

No, not even a little.

Most of the people who are "still here" are here because of Star Wars.

People looking for "the next best MMO" is not going to love ESO either since, just like SW:TOR, it tries to set a sort of middleground to lure in both single player people and MMO people.

But the MMO purists (the ones that only love MMO's) will most likely stick with whatever their favourite MMO is (for most of them its still WoW).

Personally, I pre-ordered ESO despite not falling in love with it.

I'll just use my free month of gaming to play it as a single player game and then I'll leave it until it goes F2P (which it will, and the amount of moneygrabbing done by the devs with pre-order bonuses and such makes me believe that the devs actually know it will go F2P sooner or later.)

In a word NO.

I played the ESO beta a few weeks back and I hated, and I have heard that from several people who played in that same beta. The character creator is awesome,no denying that. However, after that the game falls apart for me anyway. Not worth a subscription. I predict it will be free to play within 6 - 12 months. It will launch to huge numbers and then quickly fall off. It will have its hardcore player base, but the compromises they had to make to make it playable on the playstation and xbox are just to much to stomache for me. They compromised the gaming experience to put it on playstation and xbox. The game is simply not what people think it is going to be.

As for Wildstar, the jury is still out on that one I have not played it seen gameplay footage of it or really looked into it so I cannot really say much about that one.

It's interesting that I hear mainly 3 versions of why people don't like ESO.

One is the one you have (and it's the one given by most MMO players) and that is that it has been "dumbed down" for the consoles.

The second one is that it isn't enough like the single player versions of TES (mainly skyrim) and that it is "too much like an MMO".

The third one is that it Is too focused on PvP at the end-game.

Duran'del here:

No. While this game is by no means perfect, it is still a great game. And it's Star Wars, which means that it has millions of devotes fans in the franchise. Personally, I love this game.

I've never been a fan of ESO. I know a lot of people like it, but it just doesn't look very fun to me.

And don't even get me started on Wild star. That game is a TOTAL RIP-OFF of every single popular Sci-fi Franchise. The combat looks HORRIBLE. The graphics look way too outdated and cartoony, and its plot is just plain DUMB.

The third one is that it Is too focused on PvP at the end-game.

I heard it doesn't have raid content (presumably it has some form of dungeon system instead?), which, if true, is an interesting move.

But from what I've seen and heard, it's another (generic) fantasy game. Yay.

(I tried out Neverwinter I think it was, because my husband asked me to - tiefling = yay, rest was kind of ok. Character customisation left a lot to be desired and I named all the "companions" Dave. Did the same thing in FF14 with my chocobo. The game was way to pretty for my liking, which is weird, but there you go.)

I can only speak for myself. I haven't actually logged into SW: TOR since I first played ESO. It's not that ESO is "ohmygodawesome!" though I do enjoy it quite a bit, its that this game simply doesn't hold any appeal for me any longer and until such time as there's content that does I'll play (and pay) elsewhere.

I don't think ESO or Wildstar will kill this game, just like neither of them will kill WoW or any other game. People will play what they think is fun and for many that's still this game. I'm going to ESO but I know that down the road I'll be back here, when there's enough content that appeals to me.

I don't think ESO or Wildstar will kill this game, just like neither of them will kill WoW or any other game. People will play what they think is fun and for many that's still this game. I'm going to ESO but I know that down the road I'll be back here, when there's enough content that appeals to me.

SWTOR having a F2P/Pref system means that at least it's easier for ex-subscribers to come back and check on new content, perhaps even have a trial run of it, without having to rely on forums or what the developers say.

Lovey, we might see a drop when people go to investigate ESO and see if it's worth playing or not. It typically happens when something new pops up.

Yet:

Some might stay without even considering ESO.

Some might say goodbye and leave for good.

Some might say goodbye but come back after a length of time.

It generally depends on the person in question. As for it being an "MMO Killer", that is one opinion that's really up in the air at this point. A lot of fans point fingers at MMOs and say "So and So will destroy this game when it's released".

My opinion, personally? SWTOR has kept on trucking for a good two years. I think it's still got some life left in it no matter what another fanbase says. ^.~

I can agree with this. I will play ESO because I have enjoyed the beta and like its different style. However it is not going to kill the game.

I heard it doesn't have raid content (presumably it has some form of dungeon system instead?), which, if true, is an interesting move.

But from what I've seen and heard, it's another (generic) fantasy game. Yay.

(I tried out Neverwinter I think it was, because my husband asked me to - tiefling = yay, rest was kind of ok. Character customisation left a lot to be desired and I named all the "companions" Dave. Did the same thing in FF14 with my chocobo. The game was way to pretty for my liking, which is weird, but there you go.)

You should try out ESO if you like character cusomisation :)

To me and most of my friends living in Australia we're just biding our time until another game comes up. This game is almost unplayable with lag spikes hitting up to 4000 almost constantly.

Will this kill the game? Probably not, but you'll definitely see a noticeable drop in population during Oceanic/SEA prime time.

To me and most of my friends living in Australia we're just biding our time until another game comes up. This game is almost unplayable with lag spikes hitting up to 4000 almost constantly.

Will this kill the game? Probably not, but you'll definitely see a noticeable drop in population during Oceanic/SEA prime time.

People have asked this about every damn game that's come out since SWTOR's release. Result? SWTOR is doing better than ever.

No, ESO is not going to kill this game. Most of what I hear in fleet chat are about how much ESO sucks, which is the total opposite of what I was hearing when GW2 came out.

Can you kill what is already dead ?

Anyway as stated most people play swtor because its star wars. However there is no AAA mmo that has been released since swtor ( and quite a few before it too ) that is inferior to it in anyway, different but not inferior and thats what has killed this game and why I think that as a gamer being a sub in this game is a bad investment, you will always get less for your money than you do on other games.

With that being said TESO / wildstar /gw2 and FF are slowly but surely taking players away from this game. Several players have left this game in other to focus on those. Most notably FF pretty much my entire guild has migrated to it.

Personally I am playing gw2 now, while I wait for TESOs realease

*sigh* Oh look... it's this thread again.

1. ESO seem like another GW2 or Diablo 3. *yawn* The lame animatronic characters, and the look n' feel or ES's single-play versions put me off way back when, as did the fantasy / dark ages genre represented therein.

2. Wildstar looks plain retarded. I have zero interest in that game.

3. Honestly, I've been playing SW:TOR since launch, and I'm still here. Guess what that means for me... BW must be doing something right, right?

4. Balancing my time between this game, real-life, girlfriends, that game, the girl next door (or in my case, a FWB a few floors up that I cheat on my GF with - lol), that other MMO, work, working out, friends, part-time schooling, partying, going out, having a life, having fun, playing live shows/concerts, making out with random chicks during my 'day game' adventures, vacationing, traveling..... jeebus kristofs -- I'm a busy guy and didn't realize it. LOL.

But yeah... the "MMO killer" / "WoW killer" thing has been asked and answered time and time again, and continues to, to this day. And, the answers are always the same. The MMOs that are doing things right will stay, for as long as their IP rights are valid, and keep earning enough to stay afloat. And, so far, there hasn't been any MMO killers affect games that are good or good enough. In the end, people will play what they enjoy the most. As for me, it's SW:TOR, FF:XIV, and EVE Online -- and that's enough for me.

Edited by PifferPuff