The Old Republic Books

beefyandbeef

Hello, I was wondering what yall recommend as the best star wars books....

I have heard of some books about reven and stuff and the old republic but overall the concept is very confusing! :jawa_frown:

So I was wondering what are your favorite star wars/old republic books/series?

I have recently become interested but I know nothin....

Help would be much appreciated! :jawa_smile:

-BaB

Edited by beefyandbeef

I just started reading Star Wars books about 6 months ago. I'll fill you in on what I know.

So, you are going to find a few "eras" of books. Wikipedia has a decent entry on this but it's out of date and arranged in a way that is confusing. Wookieepedia is a little better:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_books

There is the Old Republic books, which basically cover what this game covers. You can pretty much pick up and "Old Republic" novel and read it out of order of the other books and be just fine. This era focuses on the war between the Sith Empire and the Republic (including the Jedi) and how the Jedi eventually win.

I have read these books from this era:

Red Harvest: This is a good book, but it's a horror book in reality. Zombie Sith vs Sith, Bounty Hunters, and Jedi.

Revan: This book takes place after KOTOR 1 and 2 but before this MMO (SWTOR). There will be a lot here you will recognize from this game.

Fatal Alliance: I do not think I like this book. The primary Sith character does a lot of Dragon Ball Z type anger powering and I think that's ridiculous. It really bothers me.

The next major "era" is the Rise of the Empire stuff This is the timeline that covers Palpatine's rise to power and the defeat of the old Jedi order. This is Clone Wars, Episodes 1 - 3, Rule of 2 type stuff.

The only book from this era I read was Darth Plagueis and I have to admit, it was cool how they wove this story in and out of the movies. The book was really about Palpatine and not Darth Plagueis.

Another era is The Rebellion Era (think Episodes 4, 5, 6).

I haven't read any of these.

The next era is The New Republic Era. This makes the news a lot because the the Thrawn Saga that was set directly after the defeat of Darth Vader and Palpatine (right after Episode 6). I haven't read any of these yet.

The last era is The New Jedi Order era. Folks call it "NJO" for short. I'm halfway through the Legacy of the Force series, and have completed the most recent series called "Fate of the Jedi".

Legacy of the Force is interesting because it chronicles a prominent character's fall to the Dark Side and is very similar Darth Vader and such.

Fate of the Jedi is interesting because it manages to (believably) inject 5,000 Sith back into the Star Wars storyline for Luke to deal. It's also interesting because the books are age-correct for the Big 3 (Luke, Han, Leia). They could easily build the new movies based off the idea that a society of Sith long thought gone has returned.

The books, all of them, has been very interesting and enlightening for me. For example: Sith doesn't just mean you use the Dark Side. It means you buy into a very particular philosophy about Order and Rule and acceptable means to accomplish those goals.

Also, as a side note, I commute 2 hours a day. There is a very robust selection of Star Wars audio books out there, with some very talented readers. They do great impersonations of the actors you know and love, and even use official Star Wars soundtracks and sound effects. It's very much like enjoying one of the movies. Props to Marc Thompson.

I just started reading Star Wars books about 6 months ago. I'll fill you in on what I know.

So, you are going to find a few "eras" of books. Wikipedia has a decent entry on this but it's out of date and arranged in a way that is confusing. Wookieepedia is a little better:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_books

There is the Old Republic books, which basically cover what this game covers. You can pretty much pick up and "Old Republic" novel and read it out of order of the other books and be just fine. This era focuses on the war between the Sith Empire and the Republic (including the Jedi) and how the Jedi eventually win.

Red Harvest: This is a good book, but it's a horror book in reality. Zombie Sith vs Sith, Bounty Hunters, and Jedi.

Revan: This book takes place after KOTOR 1 and 2 but before this MMO (SWTOR). There will be a lot here you will recognize from this game.

Fatal Alliance: I do not think I like this book. The primary Sith character does a lot of Dragon Ball Z type anger powering and I think that's ridiculous. It really bothers me.

The next major "era" is the Rise of the Empire stuff This is the timeline that covers Palpatine's rise to power and the defeat of the old Jedi order. This is Clone Wars, Episodes 1 - 3, Rule of 2 type stuff.

The only book from this era I read was Darth Plagueis and I have to admit, it was cool how they wove this story in and out of the movies. The book was really about Palpatine and not Darth Plagueis.

Another era is The Rebellion Era (think Episodes 4, 5, 6).

I haven't read any of these.

The next era is The New Republic Era. This makes the news a lot because the the Thrawn Saga that was set directly after the defeat of Darth Vader and Palpatine (right after Episode 6). I haven't read any of these yet.

The last era is The New Jedi Order era. Folks call it "NJO" for short. I'm halfway through the Legacy of the Force series, and have completed the most recent series called "Fate of the Jedi".

Legacy of the Force is interesting because it chronicles a prominent character's fall to the Dark Side and is very similar Darth Vader and such.

Fate of the Jedi is interesting because it manages to (believably) inject 5,000 Sith back into the Star Wars storyline for Luke to deal. It's also interesting because the books are age-correct for the Big 3 (Luke, Han, Leia). They could easily build the new movies based off the idea that a society of Sith long thought gone has returned.

The books, all of them, has been very interesting and enlightening for me. For example: Sith doesn't just mean you use the Dark Side. It means you buy into a very particular philosophy about Order and Rule and acceptable means to accomplish those goals.

Also, as a side note, I commute 2 hours a day. There is a very robust selection of Star Wars audio books out there, with some very talented readers. They do great impersonations of the actors you know and love, and even use official Star Wars soundtracks and sound effects. It's very much like enjoying one of the movies. Props to Marc Thompson.

Thank you for responding :jawa_smile:, I looked up the Reven/Decieved/Fatal Alliance/Annihilation series and I mgiht look into those....

Another note, are the books are just mentioned more adult content or suitable for all ages, (i.e. lots of cursing, sexual references) both of which don't seem to belong in Star Wars :jawa_tongue:

-BaB

Edited by beefyandbeef

It all depends on the book. Revan, my 10 year old LOVED.

The Fate of the Jedi Saga showcases a force entity that possesses victims in a very graphic manner that freaks him out quite a bit, but he really enjoys the Luke and Ben Skywalker dynamic.

In Legacy of the Force, I haven't seen anything too bad and I'm up to book 6 of 9.

There is NO WAY I would let him read or listen to Red Harvest or Death Troopers, though. They are good books, but they are beyond graphic, they are flat out twisted.

Edit: As far as cursing, there is none. They use "pudu" for the S word and "Stang" instead of most other 4 letter words.

Edited by Brewnian

To the OP, if you liked the X-wings from the original 3 movies recommend the X-Wing Series, and your kid might like them too.

Focuses on Wedge Antillies as he reforms Rogue Squadron, then goes onto create Wraith Squadron. They take place after Return of the Jedi. Good books if you like starfighter combat.

Edited by TalonVII

To the OP, if you liked the X-wings from the original 3 movies recommend the X-Wing Series, and your kid might like them too.

Focuses on Wedge Antillies as he reforms Rogue Squadron, then goes onto create Wraith Squadron. They take place after Return of the Jedi. Good books if you like starfighter combat.

Hmm, never really got into starfighter combat.... Thanks anyway! :jawa_smile:

It all depends on the book. Revan, my 10 year old LOVED.

The Fate of the Jedi Saga showcases a force entity that possesses victims in a very graphic manner that freaks him out quite a bit, but he really enjoys the Luke and Ben Skywalker dynamic.

In Legacy of the Force, I haven't seen anything too bad and I'm up to book 6 of 9.

There is NO WAY I would let him read or listen to Red Harvest or Death Troopers, though. They are good books, but they are beyond graphic, they are flat out twisted.

Edit: As far as cursing, there is none. They use "pudu" for the S word and "Stang" instead of most other 4 letter words.

This helps me a lot, I was pretty sure there was no cursing in Star Wars, and I assumed Red Harvest was graphic it being a "horror" book :jawa_tongue:

In the end, I think I'll try Reven and see what I think, if I like it, I might try the rest...

One last question: What would be your top recommended series.

This REALLY helped me! Thanks again! :jawa_wink:

I've liked everything I've listened to so far. My only comments would be that old republic books tend to be a little lower quality and they really glorify the Dark Side's power. Annoyingly so.

Fatal Alliance has a scene where a Sith girl creates a "Scream Shield" with the Dark Side. She screams her rage and deflects incoming blaster fire like she's Goku from Dragon Ball Z or something... I don't think a scene like that would float in any New Jedi Order book.

But, you know, I'm 35 so I think Luke Skywalker when I think of Star Wars. My 10 year old thinks of Anakin Skywalker instead, so his wants and expectations are completely different.

I've liked everything I've listened to so far. My only comments would be that old republic books tend to be a little lower quality and they really glorify the Dark Side's power. Annoyingly so.

Fatal Alliance has a scene where a Sith girl creates a "Scream Shield" with the Dark Side. She screams her rage and deflects incoming blaster fire like she's Goku from Dragon Ball Z or something... I don't think a scene like that would float in any New Jedi Order book.

But, you know, I'm 35 so I think Luke Skywalker when I think of Star Wars. My 10 year old thinks of Anakin Skywalker instead, so his wants and expectations are completely different.

Thank you:jawa_smile:

I don't know; I mean some of those Force powers are way more out there than a "Scream Shield." And I've read that book at least twice (probably 3 times) and I'm pretty sure she didn't make a shield with her scream, she just used the dark side to create a shield and was screaming as she did it.

I don't know; I mean some of those Force powers are way more out there than a "Scream Shield." And I've read that book at least twice (probably 3 times) and I'm pretty sure she didn't make a shield with her scream, she just used the dark side to create a shield and was screaming as she did it.

I would have to look it up, but I'm reasonably sure she thought to herself that as long as she kept screaming she knew she'd be safe.

The mental imagery that gave me invoked an " IT'S OVER 9000!" image in my head, and that kind of shenanigans definitely feels like it only happens in the old republic books.

There's a great scene in Revan where he says, "I am Revan reborn and before me you are nothing." Which is awesome, but again, the outcome of that line is not something I would expect to see in any New Jedi Order era book.

Deceived is the best SWTOR novel imo. Its focused on Darth Malgus during and after the sacking of Coruscant (That epic first CG trailer that released) as well as a young Jedi that abandons the order to hunt him and a smuggler with an issue you can actually sympathize with (not just all hey ho making money yo) that gets tied into it.

In terms of all Star Wars books, I HIGHLY recommend Darth Plagueis. Plagueis was Sidious's former master, the book deals with how he became Lord, how he found and trained Palpatine to become Sidious and how Sidious killed him and took over the Sith's activities including training Maul, and it gives a lot of detail in the behind the scenes events leading right up to and during Ep. 1

Those are my two favorite SW books of all, but really theres too many good ones to list em all. I'd say pretty much anything written by James Luceno and Paul S. Kemp you can expect to be amongst the best. But theres a lot more still. Drew Karpyshyn wrote Revan as well as the Darth Bane trilogy. They are good, not the greatest, but good. I'm currently reading the adaption of Ep3 and I gotta say, a lot of people claim its better then the movie and I completely agree. Its so much better then the movie that it makes me tolerate the movie more by considering it more like a visual reference to the events of the book rather then an accurate portrayal of any semblance of detail itself. So I recommend that one too.

Edited by Doctoglethorpe

Dang dude you really need to read Deceived then. If you thought the other SWTOR books were even just passable you'll love Deceived.

Anyone who is interested in Star Wars fiction should definitely read the Heir to the Empire trilogy - it pretty much set the bar for the novels and established some of the biggest original characters of the Expanded Universe. It's also set fairly soon after Ep. 6, so its an easy transition from watching the movies. (Just ignore some timeline issues with Darth Vader and the Clone Wars since the prequels hadn't been made when this came out.)

If you're looking for books for your kid, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the Young Jedi Knights series of YA books, since i really enjoyed them when I was growing up. (Heck, if you don't mind reading books meant for kids an adult can breeze through these in a weekend or two - they really set up a lot of the characters that take on major roles in the New Jedi Order, Swarm War, and Legacy of the Force novels and add a lot of emotional punch to the last book in LotF.)