But how the hell they do this ? (Blizzard and WOW)

Angedechu

I tried again to play tonight, with less than stellaer results....(long queue for a pathetic group)

And today, Blizzard announced that WOW have gained subs during the last quarter. 200 000 subs. Sure you can rightly say ''meh, those are chinese subs that does not count'....

But the thing is, WOW have gained 200 000 subs without content since september while we are probably around 250 k subs total with new content....

Let's scream ''go back to the Pandas'' to your heart content. Once again, my point is that Blizzard is obviously doing something ''right'' at one point...

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple.

The queues are getting worse and worse for me, the population of the servers is dropping-or at least, that's my perception.

Meanwhile, WOW managed, during the same period as we lost subs despite GSF (without new content) to gain 200 000 subs. We only have like 250 000, maybe 300 000 subs all in all. The excuse ''the market is changing'' seems to be just an excuse for me.

Edited by Angedechu

Who knows how they're spinning their numbers. They could have opened in a new marketplace for all we know, they won't say. For years they've been inflating their numbers with dishonest Asian 'subscribers' (who don't subscribe like the western world) so it'd be no surprise if they're doctoring their stuff yet again.

Populations are fine and stable. I bet you are dps. There are so many dps that the group finder is flooded. As a result you will be waiting longer. That has nothing to do with Bioware, it is out of their control. The players decide what to play and most play dps. I can queue up on my Shadowtank or healers and get instant pops. I have to wait for my dps toons.

I'm a healer...

Don't know what to tell you then. I have no problems with my healers. People say cross server queues would help, I don't know or pretend to. Unless you play at a odd hour you shouldn't have more than a five minute wait at the longest. It is also possible fewer people use GF on your server.

By the way, don't try to compare wow and TOR subs. Wow is a sub based game while this is a f2p/sub hybrid. Blizzard got lucky with wow. Every dev since has tried to copy it with no success on the scale of Blizzard. I wish devs would stop trying to copy a crappy game. It has stagnated the genre for too long. It doesn't matter how Blizzard does it. It has no bearing on TOR.

1) We don't know how many of the 200,000 subscribers are new as compared to returning. There is, after all, a new expansion which will draw many players back.

2) WoW has been out for over 10 years. Content in that game has been established, and new players joining the game are going to do the content from oldest to newest (generally speaking, there are definitely people who don't do this).

3) WoW has lost over 4 million subscribers since it's peak of 12 million in 2010. An additional 200,000 subs are great, but it's not where Blizzard wants the game to be at (that being said, the game is not a bad point at all. It's still incredibly healthy and supported by Blizz.)

Edited by Practel

one of those subscriptions is mine.

I haven't played since the first expansion and didn't even hit max level during that time.

I just resubed to check out features like pet fights (pokemon), and their version of an appearance tab.

SWTOR has some major issues, not a single aspect of SWTOR expanded on the MMO genre and there are some really irritating design choices that games 10 years ago over came.

I play a lot of melee classes and one of my pet peeves in SWTOR is the column of red error text when fighting and chasing someone. That should have been fixed in beta.

World of Warcraft numbers ebb and flow because the game has a lot of content and a variety of casual and hard core features.

I tried again to play tonight, with less than stellaer results....(long queue for a pathetic group)

And today, Blizzard announced that WOW have gained subs during the last quarter. 200 000 subs. Sure you can rightly say ''meh, those are chinese subs that does not count'....

But the thing is, WOW have gained 200 000 subs without content since september while we are probably around 250 k subs total with new content....

Let's scream ''go back to the Pandas'' to your heart content. Once again, my point is that Blizzard is obviously doing something ''right'' at one point...

A lot of people are probably returning in anticipation of the upcoming update.

People also tend to return to WoW because of the friend factor. I don't like WoW and I decided to stop playing just because friends do. However, I just had 2 friends leave TOR and go back to WoW because they knew they could play with a lot of old friends there. That and they also were disappointed that they didnt see any good advances in story in the close future. (GSF was a flop with them although i love it.)

It also sucks that they have 10 years of development on TOR. You cant make up for time that a game has been out because that is a lot of extra features.

I recently restarted my wow sub and even bought mist of pandaria After a 2year break I'll probably always play it every now and then the pvp is still fun, but even so I waited close 20 mins for a battle ground to pop the other day

So even with all their server tech the queue time aren't what they were 2 years ago, I left that game and it was insta pops .

I'm still finding swtor pvp to be more fun and the combat animations are a lot nicer visually

Just need an alterac valley type wz and well be good

I'm a healer...

As am I, at most I wait 5 minutes. The only exception to this has been since I hit 55 it is hard to find a group for a non HM fp. Is this what you are experiencing? If so go get your 66 gear (its fairly painless and fast to do) and run HM fp's. In some cases its insta fp, others I wait maybe 5 minutes.

I might actually resub before the 10-year anniversary, as long as I determine it's fiscally responsible at that time for me to have a sub to both WoW and SWTOR, There's no way I'm giving up my SWTOR sub, but I was in WoW at launch and I started playing Warcraft: Orcs and Humans back before Warcraft II even came out.

The article I read on the bump in WoW's numbers attributed it to a very successful Blizzcon and anticipation of the new expansion, Warlords of Draenor.

It's basically because the quarterly report is reporting on the last few months of 2013, right about the time that Siege of Orgrimmar, their last Raid of that expansion, launched.

They're basically reporting on a period of time when lots of people resubbed because of the raid.

If you're curious about how people feel about the expansion, compared end-of-Cataclysm numbers to the current number. Long story short, they've lost over 2 million subs during the life of that expansion, as bad as the one that came before it.

And they'll be down another huge chunk of subs by the time their next expansion rolls around sometime in late summer, because they're refusing to add more content before that next expansion. About nine months with no new content at all.

I might actually resub before the 10-year anniversary, as long as I determine it's fiscally responsible at that time for me to have a sub to both WoW and SWTOR, There's no way I'm giving up my SWTOR sub, but I was in WoW at launch and I started playing Warcraft: Orcs and Humans back before Warcraft II even came out.

The article I read on the bump in WoW's numbers attributed it to a very successful Blizzcon and anticipation of the new expansion, Warlords of Draenor.

Those were the days. Warcraft 1 got me hooked on gaming on a comp. Warcraft 2 was awesome. WOW I just tried one of those 7 day free trials but wasn't my cup of tea. That was a long time ago.

Blizzard has competent coders and development....big difference.

These days, WoW is considered to be the "original" MMORPG (I know it's not really, but it's pretty old and has a lot of visibility) others are compared against. If another MMORPG is missing a feature WoW has, it gets huge negative points. Any novel features (like, say, fully voiced storylines with immersive cutscenes and conversations) are so few and far between that they can hardly offset the lack of established features, and are often belittled as unimportant anyway. A new player deciding which MMORPG to play will see lots of "it's lacking X" and "it doesn't even have Y" in reviews and forums, and will go to WoW because it has those things.

I think the poor performance of many MMORPGs are at least partially the fault of the community's negativity towards anything that isn't WoW.

Players are impatient waiting for the largest western MMO to start to crash and burn.

With the past subscription of players they are more than likely to gain more people who resub at a larger amount than say, this game which has a smaller player base. Gaining 200k and losing 4million is not a positive. The fact that they mention they gain 200k (if they did and I am assuming some article or press release said such) when their subs are in the millions is not such a good sign either.

I recently restarted my wow sub and even bought mist of pandaria After a 2year break I'll probably always play it every now and then the pvp is still fun, but even so I waited close 20 mins for a battle ground to pop the other day

So even with all their server tech the queue time aren't what they were 2 years ago, I left that game and it was insta pops .

I'm still finding swtor pvp to be more fun and the combat animations are a lot nicer visually

Just need an alterac valley type wz and well be good

It depends on your battle group and faction. On my Alliance characters BGs during prime pop in 20 to 45 seconds. On my Horde toons it is sometimes 5 minutes. It would probably be worse during off hours for horde. If you use the OQueue addon you can easily find cross realm honor farming or join some rated BGs or Arenas. I wish they could do some of that in SWTOR. Heck you can even pass the time if the queues are slower by hunting the PvP elites that are out in the world and drop honor tokens.

They are re-balancing the battle groups along with doing Virtual Realms. I really like the way they deal with low population realms. They are creating virtual servers, but no one loses a name you just have your realm attached to the name and are "joined" to another sever. You can even have virtual realm guilds.

I like a lot of things about SWTOR, but I've been playing less and less. They just keep, IMO, doing the wrong things to get more PvP participation and there just isn't as much to do outside of PvP or OPs. Balance is a bigger issue than in WoW because the overall size of the WZs is smaller and SWTOR just seems to thrash more than WoW when it comes to balance.

I love the fact that I can black list my two least favorite BGs or even just pick the ones I want to queue for. I understand we have a lot less people here and no cross realm. But I detest PuG death matches. If I get 3 or 4 of those in a row, well I'm off to that other game.

Edited by Erasimus