Stances for All

Tragamite

Bounty Hunter/Trooper, Warrior/Knight and Assasin/Shadow all have stances that improve what they are trying to achieve yet 1 class and 1 AC do not demonstrate intention or gain benifit from that they are trying to achieve.

In PvP Stances are great, you can tell the role of the character and make prepreations to utilize the role.

Yet with Sorc/Sage and Op/Scoundrel you have to guess unless they are using tier gear. Why not offer stances to ALL Classes and skills that help optimize the role of a character.

For Instance Warrior/Knights have 3 stances (One is a tree learned) with 1 being different based on AC.

Assasin/Shadows have 3 stances 2 of which could easily tanslate to the Sorc/Sage and only a healing would need to be mirrored against the Tank variety.

Ops/Scoundrels and Sniper/Slingers could share 2 of 3 stances like the Trooper/Hunters do and then 1 could be given to each individually. Like the Warrior/Knight, the Sniper/slinger could need to skill into one while the Ops/Scoundrel could be given a healing stance.

I know we'd all like to stay away from cookie cutter layouts but IMO I think this would help players better identify who is what so they can better assist each other in both PvE and PvP.

What do you think?

Why don't we just make a huge sign over a character's head that says "I'm a healer!" or "I'm a tank!" so you don't have to adapt at all?

Seriously, your suggestion offers nothing at all to my sorc or my operative that I want. I can't think of any benefit to either class whatsoever.

Edited by Caelrie

While I do not agree with all classes needing a 'stance' I've often wondered why they didn't give all the classes a stance especially Sages and Sorcs. They could benefit from a stance that improves healing or dps or offers a force stance based on the tree they are in.

I don't need to see a stance in pvp to be able to fight someone effectively. I can usually adapt based on the abilities they are using on me.

"Forms/stances" are a mechanic that allows for partial hybridization (a dps merc can switch cylinders and off-heal in a pinch) or they restrict some abilities to a spec (an Annihlation marauder doesn't get Ataru form hits or things that trigger from it)."

It's not there so you can identify someone's role.

Why don't we just make a huge sign over a character's head that says "I'm a healer!" or "I'm a tank!" so you don't have to adapt at all?

Seriously, your suggestion offers nothing at all to my sorc or my operative that I want. I can't think of any benefit to either class whatsoever.

Then you're not thinking at all, seriously this could be benificial to those classes.

The Merc Upgrade=Arsenal Upgrade: Combustable Gas Cylinder +2% Ranged Crit Chance; High Velocity Gas Cylinder, Heat cost reduced Rail Shot Tracer Missile; Combat Support Cylinder, increase tech (healing) crit +1%

The PT Upgrade=Prototype Cylinders: Combustable Gas, +3% Tech Crit chance; High Energy, +1% Elemental and Internal Damage; Ion Gas Cylinder, +8% Dmg from Ion Gas.

You thinking Yet?

Jugg Upgrade=Single Saber Mastery: Shii-Cho Form, +6% Force dmg; Shien Form, +6% Melee dmg; Soresu Form, Range and Melee defence +3% and +30% Threat Gen from Smash and Sweeping Slash.

Mara Upgrade=Defensive Forms: Shii-Cho Form, dmg Reduced by 2%; Juyo Form, Reduces internal and Elemental dmg by 4%; Ataru Form, increases movement by 15%

Assassins and Shadows do not an upgrade skill the forms for Assassins are Lightning Charge (DPS), Dark Charge (Tanking), and Surging Charge.

Mara Ataru Form and Assassin Surging Charge must be skill built to learn. My ideas for Ops/Scoundrels, Sniper/Slingers and Sorc/Sage could Utilize similar aspects.

Sorc ~ Assassin Charges could be Lightning Charge, Corrupting Charge and Resurgence Charge (healing).

Scoundrels Stances could be Medical Stance, Scrapper Stance and Pugnate Stance

Snipers Stances could be Rifleman Stance, Explosive Stance and Lethal Stance. Explosive Stance (and slinger equal) would be skilled into like Mara Ataru Form.

Charges could be more Offensive (+% to dmg crit) while Stances would be more Defensive (dmg reduce) in nature.

VigDiath

While I do not agree with all classes needing a 'stance' I've often wondered why they didn't give all the classes a stance especially Sages and Sorcs. They could benefit from a stance that improves healing or dps or offers a force stance based on the tree they are in.

I don't need to see a stance in pvp to be able to fight someone effectively. I can usually adapt based on the abilities they are using on me.

I never said need it would just be nice. And I am not asking this for PvP purposes. In PvE you can better gage Tanking, Damage and Healing based on "stance" of the character and you could better advise players on what they are trying to accomplish based on the role they have selected.

SamuraBob_Fl

"Forms/stances" are a mechanic that allows for partial hybridization (a dps merc can switch cylinders and off-heal in a pinch) or they restrict some abilities to a spec (an Annihlation marauder doesn't get Ataru form hits or things that trigger from it)."

It's not there so you can identify someone's role.

I think you have that backwards, Forms/Stances are designed to define a role for the character. Hybridyzation would be crossing roles to fit your own play style which I am all for. It would just be a nice touch to be able to roll in a role.

stances are something connected to Lightsabres right??

in that case what in hell has a sage / Sorc to do with them,.. they don't use a sabre :rak_02:;)

joking aside I don't think it's necessary that being the case my inclination is don't "Fix" things that aren't broken

I actually feel this could help balance a bit. Where games like this are paper, rock, scissors this could be used.all ACs would have 3 options. You could play those out like; Taking=Rock, Paper=Healers, and DPS=Scissors or Sniper1>Sorc2>Mara3>Sniper1 based simply off the benefits of the stances.

Then they can tweak counters and skills against a specific role.

• 1 year later...

I have often wondered why my operative has no stance. The pop-up shield is only suitable for snipers, I never use it. I think of my Operative entirely within a movement (stealth) framework, not a stationary one. Some kind of "movement" stance is, in my opinion, necessary and the lack of a non-stationary stance seems to me to perhaps be some kind of oversight. I think it's worth noting that their are three stance options for all other Imp classes, whereas only one stance option (pop-up shield) for operatives.

As a side note I have my operative crafting Biochem to take advantage of the reusable stims which I kinda think of as a crappy pseudo-stance type thing.

I have often wondered why my operative has no stance. The pop-up shield is only suitable for snipers, I never use it. I think of my Operative entirely within a movement (stealth) framework, not a stationary one. Some kind of "movement" stance is, in my opinion, necessary and the lack of a non-stationary stance seems to me to perhaps be some kind of oversight. I think it's worth noting that their are three stance options for all other Imp classes, whereas only one stance option (pop-up shield) for operatives.

As a side note I have my operative crafting Biochem to take advantage of the reusable stims which I kinda think of as a crappy pseudo-stance type thing.

Operative don't need a stance.

Stances are there primarily for classes that need different passive boosts/effects to each tree. Operative does not have such. Stances are secondly there as a means to prevent hybridization as key talents can be locked to a stance or require the stance's effect. Operatives don't need that either since hybrids are already impossible due to the fact the key talents of a each tree would compete with each other for TA stacks.

stances are something connected to Lightsabres right??

in that case what in hell has a sage / Sorc to do with them,.. they don't use a sabre :rak_02:;)

joking aside I don't think it's necessary that being the case my inclination is don't "Fix" things that aren't broken

In KotOR 2 there were lightsaber forms and then there were force forms. Force forms were specifically for people who focused on force powers.

These included:

Force Channel - increased out of combat Force Point regen rates, increased characters resistance to force powers and slight increase to Force Power damage

Force Affinity - increased in-combat Force Point regen rate

Force Potency - Heavy increase to Force Power damage, but made the powers cost more Force Points

Force Mastery - increased duration of Force Powers, lowered enemies resistance to Force Powers, lowered characters resistance to Force Powers and increased Force Point cost

These could easily be adapted. Saying that, I don't think it is necessary, but it would add an interesting mechanic.

Edited to make it look better.

Edited by seekerofpower

Unneeded, you can easily tell what a class is by what they are doing before a fight, see kolto probes or 3 TAs, healer, acid blade, concealment, neither, lethality.

Building force surge, healer, bubbles them self and when it expires it blows up, lightning, neither/ randomly casting death field, madness. Sorcs have mad lightning(telekenitics in balance for sages) which is only better for some fights in PVE and is inferior to full madness for PVP

Snipers? Not that hard to tell, what's their opening ability? A form of poison? Lethality. A shocking electricity probe? Engi. Snipe, ambush or SoS? Marks man. The only viable hybrid that snipers is leth engi, which is marginally better than full lethality in PVE and not really better than any spec in PVP.

Operative hybrids, let's just move on, all of them are worthless because you drastically hurt your self for not gettin your top tier skill which are pivotal to having proper burst/ sustained and healing so it doesn't matter.

Like a poster said before you just want a way to tell who everyone is at all times and not have to think in the slightest, bonuses tied to stances and what not are the same thing as high tier talents which lower costs of moves, shorten cool downs and increase damage. It also makes you need to figure out how to make the stance nessicary to each spec and how to affect base line abilities so they aren't worthless but not make them OP with a stance active. And what's preventing one spec from using another's stance? AP hybrid anyone? Dps using tank stance and being extremely effective because of lack of bennifits for their cylinder. A lot of unneeded time and effort to create that system for those classes, it ain't broke so there is no need to fix it.