PT vs Sage - sage lose why?

WIZBASKY

I always considered a pull of being able to close a gap, I was mistaken.

Yeah, me too. I must be super skilled because when I have force pull on my assassin I can use it to close a gap.

I guess it require LEET skills to close a gap with a pull. Its very hard to press one specific key when the target is not full resolve.

Oh you're right. A 45s gap closer against a 20s force speed! :)

What about using your stun the second the sage/sorc use force speed so he waste force speed? So you only have to fight for 5 sec at this point to have your pull again and pull again to kill him.

Must be super hard to press the specific key you need AND be smart at the same time. ZOMG my brain is overheating

Edited by Philelectric

Yeah, me too. I must be super skilled because when I have force pull on my assassin I can use it to close a gap.

I guess it require LEET skills to close a gap with a pull. Its very hard to press one specific key when the target is not full resolve.

What about using your stun the second the sage/sorc use force speed so he waste force speed? So you only have to fight for 5 sec at this point to have your pull again and pull again to kill him.

Must be super hard to press the specific key you need AND be smart at the same time. ZOMG my brain is overheating

between stun bubble, force speed, overload root, and a stun... there's no reason for a dps sorc to lose to a pt in 1v1. especially with self heals on top of that. eventually the dps sorc is going to win just because it can heal itself up.

Oh you're right. A 45s gap closer against a 20s force speed! :)

The only time force-speed should ever be an issue is:

1. You have crap DPS - meaning you need to learn how to play your class.
  2. You opened the fight by using your closer (grapple)
  3. You are fighting more than one opponent.

If they attempt to use force-speed, use carbonize. If they knock you back, then you were poorly positioned as a powertech. If you're running circles around your opponent like a good PvPer then you have a 1 in 3 chance of being knocked back. If you are knocked back you can still use flame-burst, rail-shot and your detonators.

If they ever manage to create a gap, then use grapple and reel them back in. Its just hilarious to see Powertechs having problems with DPS sorcerers.

The only time a DPS sorcerer has ever escaped from my pyro-powertech is when there are soo many of them that I have almost nothing to use.

Edited by Yeochins

Sages have the most trouble with Powertech/vanguard since they can't cleanse the burn (sages can't cleanse tech dot (powertech burn, gs bleed, corrosive acid, etc)). Rail shot has a range of 30m, so if u have the burn on you, you really need to run away from them. However, they cannot put the burn on you if you were never at 10m range to begin with. Most sages I encounter think play sage like it's a mdps class, which is why my actual mdps class destroys the sage less than 10 sec... Good sorcs/sages always watch their distance and can be EXTREMELY annoying to kill but those are pretty rare. All i got say is that it's a L2P issue but sage dps is just really hard to play due to the discipline (controlling your urge to force speed into a grp and using force wave, making you stuck within a grp of mdps, resulting in the sage/sorc getting face rolled) required.

You are incorrect, rapid shots has a chance to proc CGC and allow you to railshot. Too many bad sages try to stay away from powertechs and do not realize that I can kill them from 30m just with railshot and rapid shots. Rapid shots + CGC does some decent damage. Explosive Dart is also 30m. So combine those 3 abilities and if you are doing nothing but running, you will still die in 3-4 globals.

between stun bubble, force speed, overload root, and a stun... there's no reason for a dps sorc to lose to a pt in 1v1. especially with self heals on top of that. eventually the dps sorc is going to win just because it can heal itself up.

Bubble stun is a talent point intensive middle tree ability. So unless you're doing full middle tree, a bubble-stunner sage isn't exactly a dps sorc/sage. And a full middle tree telekinetics/lightning sorc will get raped by a PT/Vanguard.

Typically bubble-stun is a Healer hybrid build. And if you're implying that the bubbl-stunner is some kind of middle & right tree dps hybrid. Well then they won't be healing themselves too well.

The amount of DPS required to kill a vanguard pt with a healer hybrid build or full middle tree build is lengthy. Its definitely possible. But exctremely lengthy. And its kinda hard to survive a long duration against a powertech/vanguard.

The BEST build to take down a powertech vanguard is an x|x|31 balance build. With LOS you can definitely win against a powertech vanguard. However its also the squishiest of the 3 sage/sorc builds. So if you miss time something or get stunned through your force run, you're likely dead.

You're argument is kind of all over the place, unless you're referring to those 31|31|31 sorc sage builds....

Edited by SOULCASTER

Bubble stun is a talent point intensive middle tree ability. So unless you're doing full middle tree, a bubble-stunner sage isn't exactly a dps sorc/sage. And a full middle tree telekinetics/lightning sorc will get raped by a PT/Vanguard.

Typically bubble-stun is a Healer hybrid build. And if you're implying that the bubbl-stunner is some kind of middle & right tree dps hybrid. Well then they won't be healing themselves too well.

The amount of DPS required to kill a vanguard pt with a healer hybrid build or full middle tree build is lengthy. Its definitely possible. But exctremely lengthy. And its kinda hard to survive a long duration against a powertech/vanguard.

The BEST build to take down a powertech vanguard is an x|x|31 balance build. With LOS you can definitely win against a powertech vanguard. However its also the squishiest of the 3 sage/sorc builds. So if you miss time something or get stunned through your force run, you're likely dead.

You're argument is kind of all over the place, unless you're referring to those 31|31|31 sorc sage builds....

Man those 31|31|31 sorcs tear my VG apart :eek:

I dont think I have ever had a problem with sages/sorcs on my PT. I love it when they force speed away, just so I can let them think they are getting away then grapple them back and finish them off. I approach a sage/sorc, they apply their bubble, I blow up the bubble instantly, then proceed to kill them. I must be running into ALOT of bad ones

I dont think I have ever had a problem with sages/sorcs on my PT. I love it when they force speed away, just so I can let them think they are getting away then grapple them back and finish them off. I approach a sage/sorc, they apply their bubble, I blow up the bubble instantly, then proceed to kill them. I must be running into ALOT of bad ones

Yeah if the sage can time it right, they can apply their bubble and let it nearly expire as they engage you. Forcing you to dps into their bubble that was expiring anyway, and then they can re-apply it instantly. Forcing you to dps more into it. Their "double bubble" basically absorbed 8k of your damage now, and they are still at or near 100% health. Thats IDEAL for them. X|X|31 sage/sorcs also can kite and dot up PT/Vanguards extremely well. Its why I say that build, is best at killing vanguard|PTs. I 1v1 kill most classes with that build. Mainly because of LOS in warzones.

But like i said, if the sage/sorc mis-times something. or get stunned through one of your escapes, its the most squishy sage/sorc build to run. So that will usually be how they are beaten. X|X|31 sage/sorcs rape in dots + kiting. But if you can break that up or get them chain stun/rooted. They are total toast.

Edited by SOULCASTER

Pyro has a few delayed attacks, this way the damage stacks for incredible burst all at once. You don't get initially damage, but you hear the bomb ticking on you, then when it explodes, you eat a railshot as well at the same time.

^ this

I remember fighting one with my marauder, and saw my health go from 50% to DEAD in a heartbeat leaving me wondering what the fk just happened, even though combat log says I was defeated by 5k railshot. Totally underestimated his burst and I didn't pop any damage mitigating cooldowns.

Since leveling one, I've learned a lot about how they do their damage and how to counter/survive that.

Rapid shots + CGC does some decent damage. Explosive Dart is also 30m. So combine those 3 abilities and if you are doing nothing but running, you will still die in 3-4 globals.

Rapid Shots, Rail Shot, Explosive Dart, Rapid Shots is not going to kill anyone. Not anyone starting a full health at least. If Sorc loses to an equally geared PT Pyro with the entire combat staying at 10+ meter range, then the Sorc is an idiot. The Sorc has two advantages at long range: a better selection of attacks and he is the only one to benefit from a LoS break since he can then off heal while the PT does nothing. Those two features are more than enough to beat a PT Pyro who refuses to close the range gap.

Rapid Shots, Rail Shot, Explosive Dart, Rapid Shots is not going to kill anyone. Not anyone starting a full health at least. If Sorc loses to an equally geared PT Pyro with the entire combat staying at 10+ meter range, then the Sorc is an idiot. The Sorc has two advantages at long range: a better selection of attacks and he is the only one to benefit from a LoS break since he can then off heal while the PT does nothing. Those two features are more than enough to beat a PT Pyro who refuses to close the range gap.

You overestimate a sorcerers ability and underestimate the powertech.

1. If you ever played sorcerer you would understand they are a self rooting class (they must stay still to cast for procs)
  2. If you play pyro-powertech you can remove all movement impairing effects using your shield, meaning you can close the gap when sorcerers self root themselves pretty easily.
  3. Kolto overload can be used to mitigate some of the casted damage while you close 20 meters.
  4. When you get into range ensure you land a flame-burst for the combustible cylinder and the thermal detonator in the event they blow stuns and run away. (At least you now have a ticking thermal detonator and 3, 30-meter skills available to use)
  5. Use carbonize to prevent DPS sorcerers from using force-speed to escape.
  6. Use grapple to close the gap when the sorcerer inevitably uses overload + slow, or another stun
  7. Use a grenade if the sorcerer follows up the slow with a creeping terror so they can cast force-lightning for procs
  8. Use your electro-dart when the sorcerer begins frantically trying to heal themselves.

If you engage a DPS sorcerer properly and you aren't a crap player, you judge the skill level of the DPS sorcerer by his lack of self-rooting abilities. I never give good sorcerers the time to cast force-lightning for their madness proc. Since they don't get to cast to receive their proc, their damage is diminished to the point of no-concern. They can spend 45 seconds kiting me, while their damage has been cleansed and healed by a healer on my team. The bad ones will attempt to cast 1-3 seconds of it, which 95% of the time results in their demise.

Edited by Yeochins

You overestimate a sorcerers ability and underestimate the powertech.

1. If you ever played sorcerer you would understand they are a self rooting class (they must stay still to cast for procs)
  2. If you play pyro-powertech you can remove all movement impairing effects using your shield, meaning you can close the gap when sorcerers self root themselves pretty easily.
  3. Kolto overload can be used to mitigate some of the casted damage while you close 20 meters.
  4. When you get into range ensure you land a flame-burst for the combustible cylinder and the thermal detonator in the event they blow stuns and run away. (At least you now have a ticking thermal detonator and 3, 30-meter skills available to use)
  5. Use carbonize to prevent DPS sorcerers from using force-speed to escape.
  6. Use grapple to close the gap when the sorcerer inevitably uses overload + slow, or another stun
  7. Use a grenade if the sorcerer follows up the slow with a creeping terror so they can cast force-lightning for procs
  8. Use your electro-dart when the sorcerer begins frantically trying to heal themselves.

If you engage a DPS sorcerer properly and you aren't a crap player, you judge the skill level of the DPS sorcerer by his lack of self-rooting abilities. I never give good sorcerers the time to cast force-lightning for their madness proc. Since they don't get to cast to receive their proc, their damage is diminished to the point of no-concern. They can spend 45 seconds kiting me, while their damage has been cleansed and healed by a healer on my team. The bad ones will attempt to cast 1-3 seconds of it, which 95% of the time results in their demise.

This, it seems, has been written by someone who has made it past Recruit-gear as a Madness Sorc.

Nicely stated.