Cathar and other species

NSStember

I know this is promised as a Cartel Item, so I'm hoping it's coming "soon". There are a lot of great Star Wars species out there to play, and I know future ideas will depend on how well the Cathar sell, so I'm hoping the ball gets rolling on this :)

I would like to see other species sold on the Cartel Market - The advantage of new species is they mean new lv1 characaters and if the people running the Cartel Market are lucky people buying start packs, xp boosts and outfits for these new character.

What I would love to see are Kel'dor, Gran, Mon Cal and Trandoshan added. I would be happy even if they are just Skins with static outfits (dont change with gear), with more outfits sold on the Cartel Market.

Personally I see a flaw with the Cartel market that eventually there will be so many outfits and pets and speeders they will have flooded the market and they will need things like alien species to keep peope creating new characters and buying.

This is the kicker. There's no way in hell I'm wasting real money on cat people, but I really want a Nautolan Commando.

:(

This makes me sad too but the even sadder part is I probably will waste my CC on cat people in the hope it means a species I want is opened up. I will probably also waste CC on the Voss and Kiffar we will probably get after Cathar before getting something actually alien looking.

Well, I wish they'd just ignore Cathar altogether. I'm not a fan of their appearance, either here in SWTOR or Juhani in KOTOR. Now, if they looked more like Catians or Kzinti (Star Trek, Larry Niven), I would go for that. Since we aren't going to get that, I'd rather have more iconic SW races, Rodian, Mon Cal, Bothan, Nautolan, etc. I might even spend real money on those. I'm not dropping a dime on Cathar.

Who said they were going to be in the Cartel Market?

Can't recall who it was, but it was someone on BioWare Austin.

It was when they said that how well Cathar sells is going to determine if we're getting more species for purchase later.

As much as I'd love to see more playable species, I don't want to see any more on the Cartel Market unless only F2Ps would have to purchase them.

I think with the fact that Cathar will be on the Cartel market shows how all new species will be unlocked. I know they originally said Cathar would be a legacy species but I think with the move to FTP that has been scrapped. Personally I would be more than happy to buy a species I want to play hell while I am not happy about it I am also probably going to buy Cathar just so they add more (although it looks like I am in the minority and most people dont seem to like the idea of Cathar so I dont suspect they will sell well).

Edited by Izorii

I would love to see the Iconic Star Wars Races in the Cartel market.

I am a big fan of the EU but species added to a Star Wars Game should be those in the 6 films and immediately identifiable by any fan of Star Wars. Kel Dor, Trandoshan, Rodian, Mon Cal, Gran or Gamorian even Bothans help recapture the wonders of the films. Species that look more at home in Star Trek or indistinguishable from humans are pointless and add nothing to the feel of Star Wars.

I know alot of people want to see a variety of different species and/or are disappointed about the Cathar (colored humans, etc) but just be aware that they're never going to add any playable species that require them to redo all (or probably any) art assets. Even if the Cathar are successful you're more than likely to see a race like the Voss next simply because they can use all the existing armors, weapons, speeders, etc, without having to redo or modify any of the existing work.

I would still love to see playable Wookiees. I think the main argument against it has been around the voice acting. I've suggested a few times before having a small translator droid (think necklace or bracelet sized) that could handle the language problem. If it's just translating one language to Basic, you wouldn't need a full sized droid brain. You could put a hide/show toggle on the translator, much like with headgear, or just mention it somewhere in the intro story.

You'd still have to pay a voice actor/actress to record all the lines, but that one voice could cover a whole set of alien characters, not just Wookiees. To make things interesting, you could even sneak in a few random native-language words in the backround, such as a Wookiee howling, as if the droid couldn't keep up with the translation.

I know alot of people want to see a variety of different species and/or are disappointed about the Cathar (colored humans, etc) but just be aware that they're never going to add any playable species that require them to redo all (or probably any) art assets. Even if the Cathar are successful you're more than likely to see a race like the Voss next simply because they can use all the existing armors, weapons, speeders, etc, without having to redo or modify any of the existing work.

I assume the 1 thing which will determin new species will be profit. I know we originally got told it was romance (later explained as booth chat), then the ability to releate and now issues with clipping. However I suspect it will be profit if 100 people will buy Kiffar (a species that looks exactly like a human) which would cost Bioware $10 in development time and sell for 15 bucks each, or if 200 would buy Kel'dor which would cost Bioware $100 in development for $15 each then we will see Kiffar because the profit on them is higher.

That said I strongly support new species, I think the lack of playable species is a big flaw with TOR and suspect that due to the sucsess of the cartel market right know cash is being thrown at that team and it doesn't take a genius to see they will have to get smart to keep people buying. You can not release 40 jedi robes and wonder why people stopped buying them when all it is is the same robes as already in the store with a different shoulder pad or because they already have the robes they want.

New species also means new characters which may buy more items from the Cartel market so its a win win situation.

I agree we have to be realistic in what we hope to see added to the game, they have made it clear we wont see Wookies or other non basic speaking species. We wont be seeing anything that isn't humanoid in shape, i.e two arms two legs and can come in 4 body types.

That said with very very little lore or the experience tied to the choice of species in the game it is solely adding to the look of the game and choice of what the players avatar will look like. This means if its a near human with white skin or slightly different hair or eyes that you would have to be inches away from them to notice it doesn't add to the choice available. As apart from people that are strongly invested in the lore of that species, few people would pay 18 bucks (the cost of a speeder) for a different skin tone or different colour eyes.

So Bioware should find a middle ground between crazy options such as Hutts and near humans where we have different facial types that aren't all based on humans. And maybe options like Trandoshian who have feed that require the hiding of boots to see their clawed feet but even they should be able to fit boots over them if necessary.

Still waiting on Nautolans to be added to game. The cat people stands no chance of me even spending the free cartel coins on them. Give me options that I desire and there is a greater chance that I will spend beyond my sub. Forcing me to buy things that I don't want to get the things I do want?..?..? I will just do without rather than be forced.

Personally, I've been putting off starting a Merc, because I want it to be a Cathar, but I'm starting to get tired of waiting. Hopefully it goes well, because I'd sure like to see more variety in playable races. Togruta, Nautolan, maybe cyborg versions of races other than human. Why is it that only humans get cyborg implants?

We're not going to get far-from human species options since they already said that. There'd be trouble with clipping, facial expressions, and character voices.

However, I'd like to eventually see Zeltrons, togruta, (possibly) nautolans, echani, and kiffar at some point. Even the species that Rusk is. There's plenty of near-human species not implemented yet that could be.

Edited by snoopdogbaby

We're not going to get far-from human species options since they already said that. There'd be trouble with clipping, facial expressions, and character voices.

However, I'd like to eventually see Zeltrons, togruta, (possibly) nautolans, echani, and kiffar at some point. Even the species that Rusk is. There's plenty of near-human species not implemented yet that could be.

I support more species but I want alien species. Things that the second they are looked at they are clearly not human in decending order of preference: Gran, Kel'dor, Trandoshan, Quarran, Mon Cal and Rodian.

What I really would like to know if why people want echani and Kiffar. I see a number of people ask for these but from what I can see a echani is a pale human with silver eyes and a Kiffar is a human with tatoos. What would these really add to the current race system, why do people want them and why not just create a human and pretend its a Kiffar or Echani? The species has no stat changes and the species special is just an animation so quite meaningless.

This is a question to the developers. I suspect we all have heard that new species will be dependent on Cathar selling well and then new species will be determinted but I have a few questions.

1) A large number of people have said they wont create a Cathar but want other alien species, while some people want Cathar and when they have them they wont want to create a new character with a new species. Why has the selling of Cathar been selected to determine if more species should be added? Is there going to be any way to support new species without spending Cartel coins on a species people dont want to play?

2) It has been said that the comumnity will decide the next species if Cathar sell well. Is this still the plan? Will any species be considered or will it be from a short list. As the players buying Cathar (many such as myself who dont want a Cathar but do want a new species will buy them even though we dont want them) will determine if a new speices is added should only those people who buy cathar get a vote, or could people with no interest in playing species vote and throw off the results? How many new species will be added if Cathar do sell well?

3) Is the delay in Cathar being caused because improved character modeling is being done to make adding future species quicker and easier after the Cathar or is there some other reason why Cathar have been delayed from a 2012 release? So will new species be quicker to come in after the Cathar release or will we still see a 6 - 12 month wait on each species?

I would love more species in the Cartel Market. Many of my favorite classic Star Wars characters go unrepresented. Personally, I am no fan of cat-people (I just keep thinking Vah Shir which was the beginning of the end for my Everquest days). I would pay easily 3k CC each if it opened up options like Mon Cal, Gamorrean, or Sollustan.

I don't care if it means there is only one head option, with no customization of hair/eyes/scars. I don't care if it means I can't display a helmet because I have a funky head. I don't care if it is restricted to a single body type (Gamorreans can only be Body Type 4, for example). I don't care if they recycle the three alien language lines from the game and play that as the audio for everything I say during missions. (You know, the one that sounds like "Chunky Fajitas make me go to Wee Quay") I don't care if the gear doesn't display properly and so I can never visually put gloves or boots on my Mon Cal.

They can use entirely existing graphics and audio and I will still shovel money at them for the option to be able to play as stuff they've already made, and any of the drawbacks of my choice of race, I will gladly accept as the price of playing something fun.

I would accept a number of restrictions if it got more choice of species into the game.

The difference of looks between the humanoid choices is limited enough that short of skin colour many of the current species all look alike. So to have a Gran or Trandoshian or whatever options hopefully become available if it looks very similar to other Gran or Trandoshian its till going to look miles away from Humans, Blue Humans, grey humans and be instantly recognisable as a member of that species. Far more than should they add a near human such as Kiffar who despite 12 different face choices you wouldn't be able to distinguish between a human and a member of that species. How many people know Corso Riggs is a kiffar from looking at him, so if they added that species how many people would pay for that. So they could add some war paint.